Post season thoughts.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Post season thoughts.

Postby Hazy2 » Mon May 16, 2016 7:59 am

john@staustell wrote:After all I've been through since 1967 I'm certainly not going to criticise a cup and CL qualification.

Clearly the club realised we hadn't got to the manager we wanted to get to and addressed it, hiring one Pep Guardiola for next year. So I can't see what all this hysteria about this season gains to be honest.

CL qualifying round here we come...................................

Blessing is disguise, Pep get them back early !
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon May 16, 2016 8:24 am

Sister of fu wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:Pep lost 9 league games in three years at Bayern. I know the premier is very different but I will happily take that over the next 3 years. There is not chance we will get battered time after time under him like we have this season, not happening. We have been a shambles in the league and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.

To be fair, I think Pellegrini found his true level this season.

I recall his last season at Malaga before joining us, when they were bad they were fucking atrocious defensively and would get walloped having thrown in the towel, yet somehow he got them through to the latter stages of the CL. Sound familiar?

Add in some yaya Toure style characters and you get exactly the sort of half arsed shit we had this season. Really not particularly unexpected really, and perhaps to cut the players some slack, I understand that they would admit that he didn't work them or push them as hard as he could have done - I know there's certainly been murmurs of that......player attitude is only part of the puzzle, it's still up to the boss to light the fire in them and get the extra 10% out of them that makes them the world class players we signed.

A season of highs and lows for me......we got the experience of going through 2 knockout rounds in the CL which will be valuable in the years ahead for some of the players. I can take or leave the cup win, as we were shite in the final and won on a lottery, and beyond that the season was bad. We are incredibly lucky that Chelsea imploded, or we would have a big fucking problem now re champions league.

I think today's game really summed up pellegrinis time at the club and the season overall, started off great, ended up as a bit of a damp squib

I have had some shite off rags for saying I am not sad to see him go and them saying I'm ungrateful blah blah blah. But the buck stops with the guy at the top IMO.

I have recently started a new job and have an amazing manager, who has pretty much lit a fire under me, I'm motivated, work long hours and do a shift. I didn't do that for my previous boss as they couldn't motive me. Nice person but just not able to motivate.

I'm hoping Pep has that affect on our players. Sometime it just needs that spark. Sadly Pellers didn't have that. I reckon Pep has it in spades.

In my line of work, it's about getting people in organizations to perform to their maximum through rules, carrots and sticks. Just because I'm paid well doesn't mean that every day I will perform at 100%, in fact half the time I just can't be arsed - and need a manager to keep me motivated just as much as my team rely on me to motivate them.

I really struggle with the concept that people have, that just because a player is paid 100k a week, he should perform any worse or any better than a player who is paid 100 quid a week. Whether you paid Aguero 50k or 500k a week, he would still be, and have the talent and ability of Sergio Aguero - and a good manager can bridge the pay gap to achieve the top performance even if the pay is shit.

What fundamentally concerns me in football is the lack of understanding amongst fans that on any given day a world class player may play at say 75% of their potential, which brings their level of performance down to lower standard players who may be more motivated (eg Leicester). It is the manager's job to get the players performing consistently in the 75%+ category, coaxing out the extra discretionary effort which is what makes the player and therefore team, world class.

Allied to tactics that suit the strengths of those world class players, it is the manager that will make the difference between us being greater than, or less than the sum of our parts. Pellegrini, ultimately has to accept responsibility that for the majority of this season, the team has been less than the sum of the parts. Whatever the reasons or individual issues, he is ultimately accountable for making the performances happen. I put Mancini in the same category for what it's worth.

That's why I feel very little sympathy or nostalgia for managers who consistently have us punching below our collective weight and accept long term underperformance like we have seen from Toure, Bony or others.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon May 16, 2016 10:55 am

ruralblue wrote:I shouldnt be wandering round muttering to myself 'no team could win 19-0'

I've had the thought about 4 times in 18 hours. Laff. No joke.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon May 16, 2016 12:26 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:Pep lost 9 league games in three years at Bayern. I know the premier is very different but I will happily take that over the next 3 years. There is not chance we will get battered time after time under him like we have this season, not happening. We have been a shambles in the league and anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded.

To be fair, I think Pellegrini found his true level this season.

I recall his last season at Malaga before joining us, when they were bad they were fucking atrocious defensively and would get walloped having thrown in the towel, yet somehow he got them through to the latter stages of the CL. Sound familiar?

Add in some yaya Toure style characters and you get exactly the sort of half arsed shit we had this season. Really not particularly unexpected really, and perhaps to cut the players some slack, I understand that they would admit that he didn't work them or push them as hard as he could have done - I know there's certainly been murmurs of that......player attitude is only part of the puzzle, it's still up to the boss to light the fire in them and get the extra 10% out of them that makes them the world class players we signed.

A season of highs and lows for me......we got the experience of going through 2 knockout rounds in the CL which will be valuable in the years ahead for some of the players. I can take or leave the cup win, as we were shite in the final and won on a lottery, and beyond that the season was bad. We are incredibly lucky that Chelsea imploded, or we would have a big fucking problem now re champions league.

I think today's game really summed up pellegrinis time at the club and the season overall, started off great, ended up as a bit of a damp squib

I have had some shite off rags for saying I am not sad to see him go and them saying I'm ungrateful blah blah blah. But the buck stops with the guy at the top IMO.

I have recently started a new job and have an amazing manager, who has pretty much lit a fire under me, I'm motivated, work long hours and do a shift. I didn't do that for my previous boss as they couldn't motive me. Nice person but just not able to motivate.

I'm hoping Pep has that affect on our players. Sometime it just needs that spark. Sadly Pellers didn't have that. I reckon Pep has it in spades.

In my line of work, it's about getting people in organizations to perform to their maximum through rules, carrots and sticks. Just because I'm paid well doesn't mean that every day I will perform at 100%, in fact half the time I just can't be arsed - and need a manager to keep me motivated just as much as my team rely on me to motivate them.

I really struggle with the concept that people have, that just because a player is paid 100k a week, he should perform any worse or any better than a player who is paid 100 quid a week. Whether you paid Aguero 50k or 500k a week, he would still be, and have the talent and ability of Sergio Aguero - and a good manager can bridge the pay gap to achieve the top performance even if the pay is shit.

What fundamentally concerns me in football is the lack of understanding amongst fans that on any given day a world class player may play at say 75% of their potential, which brings their level of performance down to lower standard players who may be more motivated (eg Leicester). It is the manager's job to get the players performing consistently in the 75%+ category, coaxing out the extra discretionary effort which is what makes the player and therefore team, world class.

Allied to tactics that suit the strengths of those world class players, it is the manager that will make the difference between us being greater than, or less than the sum of our parts. Pellegrini, ultimately has to accept responsibility that for the majority of this season, the team has been less than the sum of the parts. Whatever the reasons or individual issues, he is ultimately accountable for making the performances happen. I put Mancini in the same category for what it's worth.

That's why I feel very little sympathy or nostalgia for managers who consistently have us punching below our collective weight and accept long term underperformance like we have seen from Toure, Bony or others.

I used to shout (Believe it or not ) to get the $$$ in but in doing so I created a fear factor in work ,then over the years I developed a middle road which is was the key to getting the best out of everyone...not exactly holistic, but you get my point.....carrots and sticks as you say.

I believe managers like Pellegrini are too one dimensional, hence , players like Toure etc who only turn up when they feel like it....this was his downfall in a team like ours......pep has a manner that seems to be extremely passionate but hes in total control of his empotions with his players...by all accounts.

And like you , I feel fuckall for anyone that walks away form a job, especially with millions in their pockets..nostalga is overrated.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby ruralblue » Mon May 16, 2016 8:50 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
ruralblue wrote:I shouldnt be wandering round muttering to myself 'no team could win 19-0'

I've had the thought about 4 times in 18 hours. Laff. No joke.

Cheers

I'm still fucking doing it mike!!! I keep going and looking at goal difference in the table. Muttering 'no fucking way' then saying in my head 'nah.... Fuck em'

After the shenanigans of yesterday I hope Bournemouth beat the cunts.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby ColinBell8 » Mon May 16, 2016 9:28 pm

Never been happier to see the back of a season. I know it sounds arrogant to be disappointed in a season where we won another pot but I can't shake the feeling of meh!!

The PL is the ultimate prize & we were bloody shocking after the first 5 games, with the squad we've got it's unforgivable. During the CL run we actually saw some of our best football of the season but after all the effort we surrendered, again disappointing.

Too many times we made hard work of things & turned comfortable matches into difficult battles e.g Wembley against the bin dippers.

Looking forwards not backwards isnthe only way to go I guess.
ColinBell8
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Scatman » Mon May 16, 2016 10:36 pm

ColinBell8 wrote:Never been happier to see the back of a season. I know it sounds arrogant to be disappointed in a season where we won another pot but I can't shake the feeling of meh!!

The PL is the ultimate prize & we were bloody shocking after the first 5 games, with the squad we've got it's unforgivable. During the CL run we actually saw some of our best football of the season but after all the effort we surrendered, again disappointing.

Too many times we made hard work of things & turned comfortable matches into difficult battles e.g Wembley against the bin dippers.

This one or that one under Pearce? Which was worst?
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue May 17, 2016 9:12 am

Scatman wrote:
ColinBell8 wrote:Never been happier to see the back of a season. I know it sounds arrogant to be disappointed in a season where we won another pot but I can't shake the feeling of meh!!

This one or that one under Pearce? Which was worst?

I'm a scholar of expectancy theory, which I think perfectly sums up a lot of people's views on why this season feels worse than pearce's season

If you have a squad with the potential of 'mid table' and finish above a relegation battle and pushing top half, you will be broadly in line with expectations. Squeaking 4th on the last day and just the sheer number of games where we haven't turned up just feels like a massive kick in the balls given this squad's ability/potential.

Cup runs are great, but for me the season will always be based on the consistency of performance over a 38 game league campaign - even if we went on and won the champions league, that wouldn't blind me to the fact that inevitably finishing 5th in the league would have been an immensely poor show
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:10 pm

Glad It's over.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue May 17, 2016 1:12 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:Glad It's over.

And I'm feeling, glad all over
Now it's, Guardiola
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Wonderwall » Tue May 17, 2016 1:33 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:

Now it's, Guardiola

Have you just created the first song?
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue May 17, 2016 1:35 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

Now it's, Guardiola

Truth be told, I nicked it from elsewhere.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Wonderwall » Tue May 17, 2016 1:36 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

Now it's, Guardiola

I applaud your honesty. Had me singing it in my head though.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue May 17, 2016 1:40 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Now it's, Guardiola

I applaud your honesty. Had me singing it in my head though.

I haven't stopped singing it in my head since I heard it myself.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue May 17, 2016 1:58 pm

Like The Kinks theme myself. Put one up last February when the news was broken. Sure someone could do something with the Lola air.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby bigblue » Tue May 17, 2016 2:01 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:And like you , I feel fuckall for anyone that walks away form a job, especially with millions in their pockets..nostalga is overrated.

Very true especially if the person is from the other side of the world.

I'd gladly have 1/2 of a city like Shanghai, Rome, or Sao Paulo dislike me if that meant I walked away with an extra 5 million in my bank account.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue May 17, 2016 2:03 pm

bigblue wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:And like you , I feel fuckall for anyone that walks away form a job, especially with millions in their pockets..nostalga is overrated.

Very true especially if the person is from the other side of the world.

I'd gladly have 1/2 of a city like Shanghai, Rome, or Sao Paulo dislike me if that meant I walked away with an extra 5 million in my bank account.

It's definitely not what it used to be.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue May 17, 2016 2:07 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:Like The Kinks theme myself. Put one up last February when the news was broken. Sure someone could do something with the Lola air.

That works.

Hola, senor Pep Guardiola
Pep GuardiooOOoola
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby CTID Hants » Tue May 17, 2016 2:12 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:Sure someone could do something with the Lola air.

I'd like to do something with Donna Air.........
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum