Is Iheanacho worth the reported £150k per week

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Is Iheanacho worth the reported £150k per week

Postby Mase » Sat May 14, 2016 3:31 pm

Devante Cole is the prime example of a turd of a player thinking he's better than he is. Wouldn't surprise me if he left because he wasn't offered enough. How's he doing now....
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby nottsblue » Sat May 14, 2016 3:42 pm

Mase wrote:Devante Cole is the prime example of a turd of a player thinking he's better than he is. Wouldn't surprise me if he left because he wasn't offered enough. How's he doing now....

Fleetwood Town. Scores the odd goal. Be in Non league football in a year or two and stacking shelves on his days off
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mase » Sat May 14, 2016 3:59 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Mase wrote:Devante Cole is the prime example of a turd of a player thinking he's better than he is. Wouldn't surprise me if he left because he wasn't offered enough. How's he doing now....

Fleetwood Town. Scores the odd goal. Be in Non league football in a year or two and stacking shelves on his days off

Brilliant!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Dubciteh » Sat May 14, 2016 8:12 pm

I don't believe it for a second but even if it is somehow true I say pay it!!!! The alternative of signing a player for 10-15m and paying him 50-75k costs just as much and you get fuck all for that amount of money!

For the record I think Chelsea should give Solanke 50k and if I was him I would ask for it too.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Moonchesteri » Sun May 15, 2016 12:05 am

Sister of fu wrote:Give him an increase and then if continues to excel give him some more like Spurs have done with Ali and Kane.

I have heard that Kid Solanke at Chavs wants £50,000 a week, he's 17 years old and has played 17 min of first team football. Hearing son mental stories of academy kids in England on £35,000 a week? Where's the motivation to do well if your pulling that in at 16 or 17?

Greed.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby freshie » Sun May 15, 2016 11:54 am

nottsblue wrote:

And then become the next Jamie Vardy ;)
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby freshie » Sun May 15, 2016 11:56 am

Alioune DVToure wrote:I get the sense that this is probably nonsense but, if not, he should be told to get fucked. The likes of Gonzalo Higuaín, Harry Kane and Romelu Lukaku won't be on anything like that sort of money, and they're far more accomplished players. He should get about 50 a week plus incentives (goals and appearances).

50 a week? He's had one good season and isn't even a first team regular. £20,000 max and then let him earn a pay rise
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby PeterParker » Sun May 15, 2016 12:00 pm

Do you really think the club doesn't know his value?

He is the first golden product from the academy and they will rather cut their balls off, instead of losing him. Ian is the first example of how good our new academy really is. The kid will get the money he deserves, I am sure.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby nottsblue » Sun May 15, 2016 12:06 pm

freshie wrote:
Alioune DVToure wrote:I get the sense that this is probably nonsense but, if not, he should be told to get fucked. The likes of Gonzalo Higuaín, Harry Kane and Romelu Lukaku won't be on anything like that sort of money, and they're far more accomplished players. He should get about 50 a week plus incentives (goals and appearances).

50 a week? He's had one good season and isn't even a first team regular. £20,000 max and then let him earn a pay rise

The risk of paying him £20k a week, still a huge sum sum of money to the average fan mind, is that he looks at other players, Bony for example, Dzeko last season, and sees he is doing better than them yet they are on 6/7 times his salary. I know I'd be very pissed off at work if a colleague earned six or more times my salary for doing less work or poorer work. How long before he leaves?
nottsblue

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun May 15, 2016 12:10 pm

nottsblue wrote:
freshie wrote:

The risk of paying him £20k a week, still a huge sum sum of money to the average fan mind, is that he looks at other players, Bony for example, Dzeko last season, and sees he is doing better than them yet they are on 6/7 times his salary. I know I'd be very pissed off at work if a colleague earned six or more times my salary for doing less work or poorer work. How long before he leaves?

Fair enough Notts but would you go in to employment as a junior looking for parity in pay?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Slim » Sun May 15, 2016 12:15 pm

Obviously I don't think Messi is worth £150k/week. But this is the world we live in. I think Navas is on about 65k/week and I'd put Iheanacho on the same level as him. I am sure that most of it would be performance based.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby nottsblue » Sun May 15, 2016 12:16 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
freshie wrote:

Fair enough Notts but would you go in to employment as a junior looking for parity in pay?

Is he a junior though? He is a full International. He has scored his goals at the best goals per minute ratio in the whole country, no mean feat when a lot of those minutes are ten minute cameos. Yes, of course he is much younger than his team mates, but that shouldn't mean he gets literally a fraction of their money. The going rate for a forward in the PL who has scored over a dozen goals during the season must be more than £20k a week. Surely it's closer to £50k+ If not higher
nottsblue

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun May 15, 2016 12:21 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
freshie wrote:

Is he a junior though? He is a full International. He has scored his goals at the best goals per minute ratio in the whole country, no mean feat when a lot of those minutes are ten minute cameos. Yes, of course he is much younger than his team mates, but that shouldn't mean he gets literally a fraction of their money. The going rate for a forward in the PL who has scored over a dozen goals during the season must be more than £20k a week. Surely it's closer to £50k+ If not higher

Maybe, I'm not aware what the going rate is and it's of little interest to me tbh but he is a junior, he has played just over 1000 minutes of senior football to date.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby freshie » Sun May 15, 2016 12:40 pm

nottsblue wrote:
freshie wrote:

I get your point but I don't want to run the risk of the money going to his head as it has done with a lot of young players and watch their potential go unfulfilled. From what I have seen of him on camera he seems modest and humble but that is only 1 or 2 minute snippets of interviews
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun May 15, 2016 12:44 pm

Think the trick for this one is to find a suitable starting salary with enough bonuses and triggers that increase the basic based on starts, goals, assists etc. You could write a contract that would see him move to £30k as a basic, with bonuses increasing that but that sees him on £100k+ a week by next summer, if he's earnt it
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby nottsblue » Sun May 15, 2016 12:50 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:Think the trick for this one is to find a suitable starting salary with enough bonuses and triggers that increase the basic based on starts, goals, assists etc. You could write a contract that would see him move to £30k as a basic, with bonuses increasing that but that sees him on £100k+ a week by next summer, if he's earnt it

That would be ideal for all players. Very hard to get established players to agree to that though. Problem I think is that if we don't stump up the cash someone else will
nottsblue

Postby Alioune DVToure » Sun May 15, 2016 12:51 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:Think the trick for this one is to find a suitable starting salary with enough bonuses and triggers that increase the basic based on starts, goals, assists etc. You could write a contract that would see him move to £30k as a basic, with bonuses increasing that but that sees him on £100k+ a week by next summer, if he's earnt it

This is more or less my point. He can't be allowed to think he's made it after a few good games because, no matter how well he's done (and he has done very well), it's about maintaining that quality over a number of years.

If he thinks he's good enough to be a regular and bag 20+ goals, write those incentives into his contract. It's not like we'll avoid playing him so as not to have to pay the money. On the flipside, if he can't keep up his streak (fitness/lack thereof, being sussed out, poor lifestyle choices, loss of confidence etc), then we're not stuck with a player who was given crazy wages after a promising start to his career.

Look at Balotelli now. Things can go wrong. Iheanacho needs to show that he has the attitude and consistency to match his undeniable talent. Let's encourage him to show us what he's got.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun May 15, 2016 12:55 pm

Alioune DVToure wrote:

This is more or less my point. He can't be allowed to think he's made it after a few good games because, no matter how well he's done (and he has done very well), it's about maintaining that quality over a number of years.

If he thinks he's good enough to be a regular and bag 20+ goals, write those incentives into his contract. It's not like we'll avoid playing him so as not to have to pay the money. On the flipside, if he can't keep up his streak (fitness/lack thereof, being sussed out, poor lifestyle choices, loss of confidence etc), then we're not stuck with a player who was given crazy wages after a promising start to his career.

Look at Balotelli now. Things can go wrong. Iheanacho needs to show that he has the attitude and consistency to match his undeniable talent. Let's encourage him to show us what he's got.

Precisely, there have been lots of one season wonders, mainly at Everton. If he can keep his goal scoring record up next season once defenders have had a proper look at him and do something against the likes of Madrid, where he struggled (as did most) he'll be worth £150k.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun May 15, 2016 12:57 pm

nottsblue wrote:

That would be ideal for all players. Very hard to get established players to agree to that though. Problem I think is that if we don't stump up the cash someone else will

Maybe they would, but he's already got a contract, so they can't. No one is saying he'd never get the money, just let's not give him a deal worth £35m based on 1/2 a season of games.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sun May 15, 2016 1:37 pm

nottsblue wrote:

I'm in this camp. Don't leave the door ajar for some other club to turn his head.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum