Needing advice for a trip to Manchester

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Needing advice for a trip to Manchester

Postby BlueMoonUGA » Mon May 09, 2016 8:24 pm

gillie wrote:
BlueMoonUGA wrote:
gillie wrote:
BlueMoonUGA wrote:for now my goal is to get there, be roaring drunk, and yell as loud as I can the entire match. If im asked to leave, so be it. Ill go to the MEN and Robson will write a story up about my plight and the entire culture in the etihad will change. Thats the plan for now, subject to change

They will think you are an away supporter as no one at City sing anymore.

Looks like I am a few years late to the party. Should've caught a game at Maine Road, eh?

Now you are talking! North stand Maine Rd would have been jumping even in the 3rd division I know coz I was there and loved every minute of it.

Im envious to say the least. Thanks for the help fellas. CMON City!
BlueMoonUGA
Joey Barton's Twitter Account

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.
My favourite player is: Kevin De Bruyne

Postby walshawblue » Mon May 09, 2016 9:17 pm

ruralblue wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:
BlueMoonUGA wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:how long are you planning on staying in mcr?

I plan on a Thursday-Monday but that is tentative. And forget the dinner, I want to yell Blue Moon in the south stands until I'm blue in the face!!!

You'll stand out like a sore thumb then and will probably be asked to leave by the librarians.

Main advice, pack a coat. And sunglasses. And a wooly hat.

Don't set the chap up for an uncomfortable time. You need to shorts, sledge, sun cream, body warmer, sandals, thermals, knotted hankie, wool socks, sleeveless t shirt and sturdy Wellington boots.

Oh and a storm proof Umbrella.

And thats just for a day trip :)
BORN TO BE BLUE
walshawblue
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: CITY
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby BlueMoonUGA » Mon May 09, 2016 9:26 pm

walshawblue wrote:
ruralblue wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:
BlueMoonUGA wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:how long are you planning on staying in mcr?

I plan on a Thursday-Monday but that is tentative. And forget the dinner, I want to yell Blue Moon in the south stands until I'm blue in the face!!!

You'll stand out like a sore thumb then and will probably be asked to leave by the librarians.

Main advice, pack a coat. And sunglasses. And a wooly hat.

Don't set the chap up for an uncomfortable time. You need to shorts, sledge, sun cream, body warmer, sandals, thermals, knotted hankie, wool socks, sleeveless t shirt and sturdy Wellington boots.

Oh and a storm proof Umbrella.

And thats just for a day trip :)

So I am guessing a permanent move to Manchester should be out of the picture as well? It has to be better than living in Georgia here in the states
BlueMoonUGA

Postby phips » Tue May 10, 2016 2:06 am

at least in Athens the fans are loud between the hedges
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby BlueMoonUGA » Tue May 10, 2016 3:21 am

phips wrote:at least in Athens the fans are loud between the hedges

Very true. While I am a fan of real football over American football 7 days out of the week, you'll be hard pressed finding someone quiet during an American football game. Nevertheless, Ill take the beautiful game every time.
BlueMoonUGA

Postby mr_nool » Tue May 10, 2016 1:06 pm

BlueMoonUGA wrote:I am an American planning on traveling to Manchester to finally see my sky blues in action for the first time. While it is still a ways away until I will be making my trip, I am trying to iron out some details. Any advice you guys may have who are living in and around Manchester is greatly appreciated. Good hotels/bad hotels. Areas to visit/avoid. is it best to rent a car/subway. Any advice is welcome, cheers!

Hiya,

I come over to Manchester once or twice a season. I usually go from Friday to Monday afternoon/evening in order not to get screwed over by fixture changes. However, taking Monday nights into account as well, you might want to book Saturday morning to Tuesday ... But also keep an eye on cup fixtures, etc

I usually prefer not to spend too much on hotels. It needs to be clean and fairly central for me, but in the end it's just a place to crash. I don't spend a lot of time in my hotel room. I think the Premier Inn is decent standard and good value (I have only stayed in the one at Potland Street). If you want scruffier, but cheaper, there are several Travelodge hotels in central locations. If you book plenty in advance, you can get some great deals on their website. The standard is quite poor, but good enough for me if I travel alone.

There's no need to rent a car. You'll just be a traffic hazard anyway with the English insisting on driving on the wrong side of the road.
Manchester isn't all too big, and you can get around most of it (the central parts) on foot. Cabs are cheap and there're plenty of buses.

In regards to areas and things to see, I really enjoy the Museum of Science and Industry and the Castlefield area. You're really walking around in the cradle of industrialism. NQ is overrated in my humble opinion, but still worth a stroll through. The John Rylands Library is well worth a visit, as is the Whitworth Art Gallery. if you're there anyway, you might as well walk a few more minutes to the curry mile and have a proper curry there (do some research - some of the places are quite dodgy).

The atmosphere in the stadium depends a lot on who we play and how we're playing. I prefer south stand tier 1 for atmosphere. Tier 2 gives you a better view, but still quite a lot of noise, so it's a good spot as well.

On match day, take a bus or a cab to the stadium, and get drunk in the Townley or Mary D's (not my cup of tea, but an experience). After the game, just follow the crowd and walk back to town. Find a pub with a lot of sky blue in it!
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Swales4ever » Tue May 10, 2016 10:25 pm

ask Lahad for very special post match/after dinner venues. good advice, I promise.

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby patrickblue » Tue May 10, 2016 10:55 pm

Good advice from Mr Nool.
I'd say use the Travelodge SportCity.
Cheap and cheerful, but just a short walk from the stadium.
Last edited by patrickblue on Wed May 11, 2016 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed May 11, 2016 3:43 am

Just get to the Alliance for some jäger shots and you'll be fine.

Spend some time in City Square. Do a stadium tour. Find a pub in Chorlton take some hallucinogenics and miss your train. No worries. You'll be fine.

Easy peasy mate.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby john@staustell » Wed May 11, 2016 4:41 am

patrickblue wrote:Good advice from Mr Nool.

Having stayed there for the Madrid game I can vouch for it as a good little value hotel. But the theoretical short walk is a little overstated. Next time it will be a taxi up to Mary Ds or City Square. Wasted 40 minutes drinking time in a very brisk march.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby frankswift » Wed May 11, 2016 8:48 am

The Britannia on Portland Street often does very good deals. Check their website. Also there's a reasonably priced Ibis near the swamp if you can stomach the environs.

Don't be put off by the superficial rudeness of us Mancs. Underneath it all we're really a bunch of bastards.
frankswift
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Take a wild guess
My favourite player is: Mike Doyle

Postby patrickblue » Wed May 11, 2016 4:13 pm

john@staustell wrote:

Having stayed there for the Madrid game I can vouch for it as a good little value hotel. But the theoretical short walk is a little overstated. Next time it will be a taxi up to Mary Ds or City Square. Wasted 40 minutes drinking time in a very brisk march.

Bloody hell John, I know we all joke about your zimmer frame, but how did it take you 40 minutes? It's 15 minutes tops.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby MilnersJaw » Wed May 11, 2016 9:25 pm

If this is your first time in Manchester than you must absolutely go to Greggs too. It will be also your best chance at catching a glimpse of our players up close and personal.
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silver

Postby dazby » Wed May 11, 2016 10:05 pm

Don't stay at the Hilton. It's going to tip over very soon.

Don't wear a City shirt into town after a derby loss unless you're packing a Beeks.

Go to a junior game and tell the club you're visiting from xxx club looking to exchange ideas.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Wonderwall » Thu May 12, 2016 7:29 am

dazby wrote:Don't stay at the Hilton. It's going to tip over very soon.

Don't wear a City shirt into town after a derby loss unless you're packing a Beeks.

Go to a junior game and tell the club you're visiting from xxx club looking to exchange ideas.

Talking of John's magical mystery tour. I had the pleasure of his company last night. We met up at KK's leaving do as he is going to live in Tenerife tomorrow with his love wife.

Top night and great company
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby john@staustell » Thu May 12, 2016 7:47 am

patrickblue wrote:
john@staustell wrote:

Bloody hell John, I know we all joke about your zimmer frame, but how did it take you 40 minutes? It's 15 minutes tops.

Maybe we were a bit slower after 6 pints in the Travelodge before half five? And, to be fair, it was a bit of an obstacle course from Mary D's up to City Square, with an early crowd arrived and loads of Spanish, police and fenced off bits!! Even a dirty great stage arena in the way.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby mr_nool » Thu May 12, 2016 8:25 am

Wonderwall wrote:
dazby wrote:Don't stay at the Hilton. It's going to tip over very soon.

Talking of John's magical mystery tour. I had the pleasure of his company last night. We met up at KK's leaving do as he is going to live in Tenerife tomorrow with his love wife.

Top night and great company

So KK finally got everything sorted for his move. Nice for him!
Get him and John to start posting more frequently again Bob. Wield your green administrator's magic. Do something!
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby City64 » Thu May 12, 2016 9:02 am

Personally I would stay central city center preferably favouring deansgate and castle fields . The Hilton would be a good choice if your the discerning type , the city players , managerial team and back room staff go there pre match proper buzz ! Cracking Spanish tapas beer haven across the road hidden in a side street which is a proper blue haunt ........ again you have to be the discerning type ! Much better than Gorton ! lol
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum