Shambles Of A Premier League Campaign

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Shambles Of A Premier League Campaign

Postby everyonehatesus » Mon May 09, 2016 6:24 pm

I don't think many decent rag fans will have much to say. Those I've spoken to are equally fuming about their season and manager and even pinching 4th will not be enough to hide the fact that they have been total dog shit like us. It's been a horrid season and one I will soon forget, nothing about where we finish and everything to do with how we came about to be there is what fuck me off, no fight, no pride and a lame duck as a manager. Even when we were properly shit I still felt most of those playing were genuinely trying.
everyonehatesus
De Jong's Tackle

Postby london blue 2 » Mon May 09, 2016 6:28 pm

everyonehatesus wrote:I don't think many decent rag fans will have much to say. Those I've spoken to are equally fuming about their season and manager and even pinching 4th will not be enough to hide the fact that they have been total dog shit like us. It's been a horrid season and one I will soon forget, nothing about where we finish and everything to do with how we came about to be there is what fuck me off, no fight, no pride and a lame duck as a manager. Even when we were properly shit I still felt most of those playing were genuinely trying.

There are decent rag fans?

My brother is one and he's been quiet for two seasons. A sniff of us missing forth place and he was shouting for Arse and generally acting a cock.

I don't think they are decent, just a little more strategic about when they choose to start spouting their bollocks these days.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby nottsblue » Mon May 09, 2016 7:06 pm

I've heard a few rags hope they don't get fourth in the hope that LVG will then be sacked
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby PrezIke » Mon May 09, 2016 7:06 pm

I listed the possible and plausible factors in a different thread, but we can go over them again, even if they aren't necessarily excuses.

1) As soon as we hired Txiki the plan for Pep was in place, but when Pep went to Bayern that summer whoever we brought in had to know this was set in stone and would eventually be replaced.

2) Mancini's iron hand, calling players out in pressers before having a word with them in private, etc. led to understandably very well paid individuals with explainable massive egos to loathe his management.

3) The leaking of this rumour before the FA Cup Final and the impending managerial change sent a message to players that they would get what they want (which is how things work in modern football, like it or not), even though Mancini needed to go.

4) Pellegrini was the velvet glove that was needed, and brought an incredibly exciting brand of attacking football that allowed players the freedom to express themselves, turning defence into attack in a flash, and scoring the most goals ever in the PL (I believe) leading to two trophies including the league title.

5) Season 2, Pellegrini's tactics were found out, where teams would park the bus, and learned to hit us on the counter, as his stubbornness playing 4222/442, while our defence seemed porous and in need of surgery and/or starting players who were under performing (Yaya, Bony) for longer than some felt they should have.

6) Injuries and aging players showed it's ugly head further in season 2, with important players constantly injured (Vinnie, Kun, Nasri, Silva, Jovetic) and rarely playing together, and Yaya beginning to show signs of slowing down, becoming a liability in defence, after an incredible season the year before.

7) Big money signings to fill voids not living up to or creating extremely high expectations over the past two seasons (Mangala, Bony, Otamendi, Jovetic, Sterling) as well as FFP penalties led to inconsistency (signings the last day of Mancini's last summer), and top targets being missed in the transfer market (Hazard, Isco, Cavani *whew*, Falcao *whew*, Pogba) compared to the period before (Yaya, Silva, Aguero, Nasri, Milner, etc.)

8) Rumours of Pep coming grow further late in season 2, and just to silence this a bit is given a contract extension, that did little to change the belief he was gone after season 3.

9) During summer 2015 the club tries to purge itself of unwanted players (Dzeko, Jovetic) Txiki struggles to move until late in the summer perhaps leaving them to contaminate the team, and/or leaving a sour taste in the mouth of players remaining who could wonder about their futures and that of the manager.

10) The Sterling signing/saga turns him into public enemy #1 in the entire nation and is booed at every away game, and ridiculed in the press,

9) Season 3 starts well, but the rumours of Pep grow each week.

10) The decline of Yaya increases, and injuries become even worse than the season before to our best players, especially long periods without Vinnie, the leader of the team and organiser of the defence, leading it to be arguably the worst of the Mansour era.

11) Pep announces he will be managing in England, and speculation becomes so rampant that Pellegrini decides to make it official on his own.

12) Afterwards the team's form, which was inconsistent, but seeming to pick up, utterly collapses. The team somehow still does well in CL games and wins the League Cup, but even after winning, Yaya's ego (already having had an effect in the past via his agent) shows with him celebrating his final penalty rather than Willy's incredible performance.

13) Injuries continue to cause problems just as things are getting going with KDB out for months, Silva's persistent ankle problem affecting his play, and Vinnie in and out of the team.

13) Better performance in the CL starts to better reveal first team favourites of the manager, in the Chelsea FA Cup tie and Southampton match before the CL Semis in an already likely tense dressing room, which combined with Pep's impending arrival, and some on long term contracts, raises the risk for complacency and arguably outright rebellion on the pitch (Kolarov) since he is effectively a lame duck, and those players might give a care about the future of the club.

14) Pellegrini, not one to slag his players off in public has to save face (even though we don't know what goes on behind the scenes, since players have reported he is different there), but does not seem to be one likely to fire up his team, and we limp into the possibility of Europa League and behind even United who had an even more pathetic season.
Last edited by PrezIke on Mon May 09, 2016 8:58 pm, edited 6 times in total.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Blue Since 76 » Mon May 09, 2016 7:32 pm

Prezle - it was Barca who leaked about Pellegrini before the cup final, but I agree and said at the time that although I wanted rid of Mancini and felt it was the right thing to do, when the players revolted, the leaders had to be shown the door as well. Don't care if that was Aguero and Kompany, you can't have players saying it's the manager or them and then back the players.

Not sorting that out then has led to the ongoing issues with players downing tools yet again. And the fault for that sits with the Spaniards and maybe even Khaldoon. I just hope they've learnt from their mistake
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Dimples » Mon May 09, 2016 7:43 pm

Could the non-performances be due to a deeper issue than football?

It would look like there is something seriously amiss in our camp. Some non-footballing aspect?
Performances this season indicate that the group do not like and therefore cannot fight for each other.
It looks like the players are split, with faction fighting, grudges and so on.
This then manifests itself on the pitch as there is no way they can (consciously or sub-consciously) fight for each other.

Maybe this is pure BS due to my disappointment at the current state of play.
But if a team does not try, we can all list a lot of games where this happened, it has to be down to the group not getting on.

As the players are shipped out and disperse it will be interesting to see if gossip emerges.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby Sparklehorse » Mon May 09, 2016 8:16 pm

My yardstick for measuring what has been a truly awful Premier League campaign is that Ive only watched MOTD about eight times this season !!!
Enough said.
"Its better to be thought of as being a fool and remain silent than to speak up and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Sparklehorse
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: All of them

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon May 09, 2016 8:20 pm

Dimples wrote:Could the non-performances be due to a deeper issue than football?

It would look like there is something seriously amiss in our camp. Some non-footballing aspect?
Performances this season indicate that the group do not like and therefore cannot fight for each other.
It looks like the players are split, with faction fighting, grudges and so on.
This then manifests itself on the pitch as there is no way they can (consciously or sub-consciously) fight for each other.

Maybe this is pure BS due to my disappointment at the current state of play.
But if a team does not try, we can all list a lot of games where this happened, it has to be down to the group not getting on.

As the players are shipped out and disperse it will be interesting to see if gossip emerges.

after all the forced bonding they to do for the os videos, they are probably sick of each other come game time. i fucking hate modern football but i'm glad that goodluck wagabogo and chin ji sun are supporting us.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby ColinBell8 » Tue May 10, 2016 6:58 pm

Can't disagree with what Prezike has said, it's a pretty solid assessment. We've meandered along waiting for Guardiola to say yes so now we'll hopefully see our patience bear fruit.

Pep will get the players he wants not the diluted versions,in some cases, Mancini & Pellegrini have had. The only concern now is how big a job has he got? How quick will he be able to turn things around? When he was first announced I thought we'd be offloading around 6 players. The list has now grown a tad !!

If, as is now likely, we end up in the Europa Cup next season that gives Guardiola year 1 to rebuild, & bearing in mind he'll tell everybody he's leaving at some point during year 3, year 2 to win it all.

It won't be dull will it?
ColinBell8
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby michaelcityfan » Wed May 11, 2016 5:09 pm

Brilliant analysis by Presizke I completely agree it's time for a fresh spine in the side and be unsentimental about getting shot of heroes who have had their day through consistent sickness e.g Vinnie maybe David if he can't shake the ankle injury as well AND the can't be fucked like kola roc yaya etc it may seem hard but with a bit of backbone we could assemble a top squad of players.
michaelcityfan
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby nottsblue » Thu May 12, 2016 4:05 pm

Finish fourth and history will show this season to be acceptable in terms of the long term aims of the club, ie qualification and progress in the CL. It has gone wrong for lots of reasons, not least the shortcomings of the manager but we have a new incumbent next year who happens to be one of the best in the world. Things will change and I'd be gobsmacked if we didn't see a marked improvement.

Finish fifth and we aren't even in the PL which for where we are as a club, is now a pre requisite. That equals disaster which puts a different level of pressure on the Swansea game. But it's still a game I expect us to get the point required. We can then look back on this season in years to come as a blip
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Hazy2 » Thu May 12, 2016 7:51 pm

Nasri going to help us to 4th or not ?
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Dimples » Thu May 12, 2016 8:32 pm

Hazy2 wrote:Nasri going to help us to 4th or not ?

Yes.
He is playing for a seat with Pep.
He is a gifted player, takes possession, keeps it and distributes it under intense pressure.
We really missed him this season.

His problem is that he is to soft - but that is ok - he is an artist, get him a minder.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby blues2win » Thu May 12, 2016 8:51 pm

When you look at goals for and against this season compared with Pellegrini's first year one thing is clear. We haven't actually shipped many more goals at all but our goal scoring has fallen sharply despite all Pellegrini's talk about attacking football. We're relying too much on Aguero to score goals I suspect whereas others chipped in consistently in Season 1 ; Yaya for instance.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: david silva

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum