Arsenal's Mikel Arteta possibly taking coaching role at City

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Arsenal's Mikel Arteta possibly taking coaching role at City

Postby JamieMCFC » Fri May 06, 2016 4:57 pm

Arsene Wenger has said that Arsenal captain Mikel Arteta could take up a coaching role with Manchester City next season, but has not ruled out that the midfielder will continue his playing career somewhere.

Arteta is out of contract in the summer and has long been expected to go into coaching once his playing career is over.

Sources told ESPN FC in April that Pep Guardiola is ready to offer the Spaniard a role at the Etihad when he takes over City at the end of the season.

When asked about the possibility, Wenger said: "It's possible."

Speaking on Friday at his news conference ahead of Sunday's game at City, Wenger added: "It's true that he's out of contract here. It's a good opportunity for me thank him for his contribution not only as a player but as a leader.

"What kind of orientation will he give now to his career? I heard about that possibility [going to Man City] but I don't know. He could inform you much better than I can. He's free to decide what he wants.

"He'll certainly want some time to reflect on, does he continue to play? I still think he can play. And in the last months he has come back to a very good physical level. And he's in a position today to continue to play, and he would still be a very good player everywhere."

Arteta has struggled with injuries the last two years and has been on the fringes of the first-team squad even when fit this season.

The former Everton midfielder has already completed some of his coaching badges with Arsenal's academy, and Wenger has previously said he hopes the Spaniard will go into management.

He didn't rule out the possibility of Arsenal also offering Arteta a coaching role, but said there may not be any openings.

"You want your former players to be at the club, but as well you need positions. You cannot create artificial positions," Wenger said. "If you have coaches in the under-18s, 16s, 14s who are very good, you cannot kick them out to make room for players who want to coach."

Former Arsenal stars Thierry Henry and Freddie Ljungberg are already involved in coaching some of the youth teams at the Arsenal academy, and Wenger said he did not know what kind of changes will happen to his backroom staff this summer.

"If we have positions we always give a good chance to the players who played here. And let's not forget, I've given to many, many players the opportunity to get their license here, to educate them and after that maybe to coach somewhere else," Wenger said.

"We always open the door to give them an opportunity to be educated. And after we need positions available to give them a job."

http://www.espnfc.us/arsenal/story/2865 ... ene-wenger
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Re: Arsenal's Mikel Arteta possibly taking coaching role at

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon May 09, 2016 11:00 am

I've not really followed his career of late....I see he hasn't played much, but given Wenger's comments about him coming back to a decent physical condition and only being 34, I wonder if he could do a job for us for a year before coaching full time?

If so, it would suggest the end of either Silva or Nasri, or would he cover the deep lying playmaker role like that Pizarro did and almost be a straight replacement for an outgoing Yaya?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Clowncrete » Mon May 09, 2016 11:29 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:I've not really followed his career of late....I see he hasn't played much, but given Wenger's comments about him coming back to a decent physical condition and only being 34, I wonder if he could do a job for us for a year before coaching full time?

If so, it would suggest the end of either Silva or Nasri, or would he cover the deep lying playmaker role like that Pizarro did and almost be a straight replacement for an outgoing Yaya?

When I saw him last time playing, Arsenal lost to West Brom away and Arteta was by far the worst player on the pitch. He is no way good enough for us any longer.

Honestly I've hated him since he scored that goal against us. He does have a punchable face.
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon May 09, 2016 11:50 am

how much would he want a week to coach?! Got to be 60/70k
jobs for the boys from the spafia
also pep's brother will broker every transfer we do this summer
all very 'arry redknapp... we're being taken for a bunch of cunts
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon May 09, 2016 12:17 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:how much would he want a week to coach?! Got to be 60/70k
jobs for the boys from the spafia
also pep's brother will broker every transfer we do this summer
all very 'arry redknapp... we're being taken for a bunch of cunts

Wow. It's like the sunday supplement.

You can do what you like, but I'll wait and see what happens before writing off our incoming manager and the signings he hasn't made yet.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Swales4ever » Mon May 09, 2016 8:46 pm

what a load of horses...

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Return to The Maine Football forum