staying behind on Sunday

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: staying behind on Sunday

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon May 09, 2016 1:36 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:[quote="Foreverinbluedreams

Pellegrini has been poor all season and the warning signs were there the previous season , never learned from his mistakes even though the penny dropped long ago.......missing out on the CL (Probably) is a disgrace in itself with our resourses - to think he was left a Premier winning team by Mancini and has steadily made us worse, is in itself, unacceptable.

Bayern Munich and Man City told the world of the managerial changes..........BM won their league ,in the final of their cup , SF CL...and lets be clear, their football was a fuckign joy to watch even though they lost out on goal difference , so for the fans who like to point to this as the reason why we we have been shite is complete nonsense.

He took over a team who had mounted a feeble defence of a title and failed to get beyond the group stage in CL yet again. This is not a defence of Pellegrini but let's not make stuff up eh?

No, he took a team over who had been in open revolt against a manager for several months of the previous season, and he reaped the benefits of treating the players like human beings in his first year. He then put up an equally poor title challenge as Mancini in his 2nd year despite no open revolt, and frankly performances were largely a joke in his 3rd.

I don't see anything in Pellegrini's achievements that Brendan Rodgers or anyone else we ridicule couldn't have done, the players' talent and discretionary effort got him through these 3 years, and whenever the talent couldn't be arsed, he was fucked - very limited manager and hardly ever made us more than the sum of the parts, mostly the opposite in fact.

There's no No about it Sparty, what I said was a fact regardless of context.

The point stands that Pellegrini's title defence was just as diabolical as the one you called feeble - if you ignore the context of the revolt, then Pellegrini, based on past actions of the owner in sacking Mancini after a poor title defence, was extremely lucky not to have been sacked last summer. If you add context on both Mancini and Pellegrini, Mancini getting 78 points against a full scale revolt was a fucking miracle looking back, yet the players were openly taking the piss with performances under Pellegrini who achieved 79 with no real headwinds

Likely the only reason he got this season was that Guardiola had agreed to join, which for many of us who wanted him gone last season was the only consolation in the sham of him signing a contract extension.[/quote]

Of course that was the only reason, it's obvious.[/quote]

So it's not likely that if the club was being consistent, he should have been sacked for a performance similarly feeble to Mancini's title defence?

He has been a caretaker manager for 3 years, the whole footballing world knows it (except rags who were still convinced Guardiola was going there) - who would we have managed to get in on a 1 year contract if we had binned him last summer? He was only here this season because there was no feasible alternative, he knew it, the players knew it, and look what happened.

I feel for him in the above situation, but I'm sure he knew the crack when he signed and my sympathy doesn't extend to making up that he was some top class manager when he isn't and never has been. He was a gent, he did his best, which unfortunately for him and us, wasn't good enough.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon May 09, 2016 1:40 pm

I completely agree with all that Sparty.

You're giving the impression that I am defending Pellegrini and criticising Mancini, that is not the case at all. I was simply pointing out a fact because Carl was making some bullshit up.

As for the caretaker bit, that's why in saying let's apply context to Pellegrini's failings if we're going to extend that courtesy to Mancini, fair's fair, no?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby BoltFromTheBlue » Mon May 09, 2016 2:34 pm

I didn't stay behind on Sunday, and here's why, not that I, or anyone else, should have to explain our reasons for leaving.

The heat beating down on 110 was unbearable, I had to head out to near the toilets at half time just to cool down, final few minutes of the match, I wasn't feeling great, at all, I felt weak, so my main priority was my health, I guess that doesn't make me a real fan for not staying, yet those who are whinging are probably those who leave 10 minutes early every match.
Tick tock tick tock.
BoltFromTheBlue
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Cocacolajojo » Mon May 09, 2016 2:55 pm

Alright, but I don't want to see anyone here having a pop at empty seats elsewhere, because for all we know they might be protesting, having a beer, fearing for their life, or just trying to beat traffic.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby roblues » Mon May 09, 2016 3:09 pm

The thing that worries me about all of this is the benchmark it now sets for the future.

For the players, some felt they didn't do enough this year - in fact, I'd go as far as to say that 90% of those who stayed to clap know that the players didn't do enough. If the message to them is that they need to try harder or lose our respect, I'm fine with that.

For the manager, do we actually think he wasn't trying hard enough to get things right? Clearly, despite how nice he has been, Manuel has ultimately not been up to the job, frequently making tactical and selection errors. Despite his classy attitude, passion for the cause (not everyone has to shout to be passionate) and actual, measurable success, some here think he does not deserve even enough respect to say goodbye politely. We are essentially suggesting to Pep, whether intentionally or by implication, that if he makes mistakes he will eventually get the same treatment. This is ridiculous.

For the hierarchy, the majority here feel like a lot of money has been wasted on average players - again, I am inclined to agree - so are we suggesting that they either sign guaranteed stars (e.g. Messi, Tranny, and few to no others) or play the kids? Or are they still allowed to make mistakes signing players they think will improve us? And do we really think either a) that this will lead to guaranteed success or b) it doesn't matter if we fail doing this as the kids will get better? If we think this site is exploding now, imagine a scenario in one year when we have blooded the kids, won nothing and finished nowhere. This is obviously extreme but the powers-that-be have to be scratching their heads wondering what they have to do to get the approval of the fans who once claimed to be with the club through thick and thin. Especially those who bankrolled the best footballing years of my life.

I guess the main message here is that no player, manager or executive is bigger than the club, and we don't have to love them all - but we are the fucking club. If we don't stick around when things aren't going well, what exactly is the identity of the club?
roblues
Superman's Underpants

Postby City64 » Mon May 09, 2016 3:35 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:Alright, but I don't want to see anyone here having a pop at empty seats elsewhere, because for all we know they might be protesting, having a beer, fearing for their life, or just trying to beat traffic.

Fuck off trying to be a funny cunt !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby freshie » Mon May 09, 2016 3:43 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:Alright, but I don't want to see anyone here having a pop at empty seats elsewhere, because for all we know they might be protesting, having a beer, fearing for their life, or just trying to beat traffic.

Were you at the game on Sunday? No, so fuck off
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Cocacolajojo » Mon May 09, 2016 3:45 pm

City64 wrote:

I don't think I could be funny even if I wanted to. But you might want to stop contradicting yourself. Ta!
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Cocacolajojo » Mon May 09, 2016 3:50 pm

freshie wrote:

Wow, first you basically come out as a glory hunter by saying that one should only support a team based on if you want to win things or not (not like, I don't know, what brought most of us here in the first place) and now you're taking a punt at the fact that I don't live in Manchester.

Entitlement.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby City64 » Mon May 09, 2016 4:06 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:
City64 wrote:

I don't think I could be funny even if I wanted to. But you might want to stop contradicting yourself. Ta!

So you think your a smart arse aswell ? Poke the hornets nest with a diabolical shit post just shows how out of touch you are with how it is in Manchester .
Like I said fuck off !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby patrickblue » Mon May 09, 2016 4:41 pm

BoltFromTheBlue wrote:I didn't stay behind on Sunday, and here's why, not that I, or anyone else, should have to explain our reasons for leaving.

The heat beating down on 110 was unbearable, I had to head out to near the toilets at half time just to cool down, final few minutes of the match, I wasn't feeling great, at all, I felt weak, so my main priority was my health, I guess that doesn't make me a real fan for not staying, yet those who are whinging are probably those who leave 10 minutes early every match.

Pussy.

Only joking, hope you're feeling better.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Mase » Mon May 09, 2016 4:43 pm

I had a hangover and was being blasted by the sun so I contemplated jumping off the third tier but decided to just go home instead.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon May 09, 2016 5:38 pm

Mase wrote:I had a hangover and was being blasted by the sun so I contemplated jumping off the third tier but decided to just go home instead.

a damn shame. Next time.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Mase » Mon May 09, 2016 6:32 pm

If you left at 90, don't feel the need to explain why you left. It's your choice, you pay the money.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Blue Since 76 » Mon May 09, 2016 6:39 pm

Some of the players should try playing for Galatasary, Barca or Napoli if they think us not clapping them was harsh. Pull some of the performances they have this season at clubs like that and they wouldn't be safe on a night out, never mind being ignored.

The fans would have been well within their rights to stay and boo, instead, in an English way, they tutted their disapproval and left. If any of the players don't like that, then tell your agent and find a free ride somewhere else. We need players who were embarrassed by some of the performances last season and were embarrassed walking round an empty stadium. Let it sink in and let them remember before they next declare it's hunting season.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Mase » Mon May 09, 2016 6:46 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:Some of the players should try playing for Galatasary, Barca or Napoli if they think us not clapping them was harsh. Pull some of the performances they have this season at clubs like that and they wouldn't be safe on a night out, never mind being ignored.

The fans would have been well within their rights to stay and boo, instead, in an English way, they tutted their disapproval and left. If any of the players don't like that, then tell your agent and find a free ride somewhere else. We need players who were embarrassed by some of the performances last season and were embarrassed walking round an empty stadium. Let it sink in and let them remember before they next declare it's hunting season.

Good point actually. Didn't Bale get his car smashed when leaving the ground at Real this season?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby gmercer1 » Mon May 09, 2016 6:48 pm

Mase wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:Some of the players should try playing for Galatasary, Barca or Napoli if they think us not clapping them was harsh. Pull some of the performances they have this season at clubs like that and they wouldn't be safe on a night out, never mind being ignored.

Good point actually. Didn't Bale get his car smashed when leaving the ground at Real this season?

Yeah there's some footage on YouTube. He's really not liked there
gmercer1
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby freshie » Mon May 09, 2016 6:50 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:
freshie wrote:

Wow, first you basically come out as a glory hunter by saying that one should only support a team based on if you want to win things or not (not like, I don't know, what brought most of us here in the first place) and now you're taking a punt at the fact that I don't live in Manchester.

Entitlement.

Gloryhunter? Fuck off you twat. I was one of the 30,000 that was there in the old division 2 when we had cunts like Frank Clark, Phil Neal and Steve Coppell in charge, probably long before you had even heard of Manchester City Football Club so don't you dare call me a gloryhunter. It's easy to sit in your armchair in Sweden (apologies if that's not where you live) and slag off genuine fans who left after the final whistle on Sunday but at least we make the effort to support the team home and away. I couldn't care less whether you live in Manchester or not but making flippant posts like the one above is inflammatory and if that was your intention then well done.

The fact is that we are entitled to expect more from such an expensively assembled squad who are privileged to have training facilities that would be the envy of most clubs in the world. They get paid an awful lot of money to perform to the best of their abilities and I think there are a lot of them who have coasted through the season, stealing a living. It is a different landscape to that of the 90s as back then I didn't expect us to win anything due to our financial constraints. Since Sheikh Mansour took over, however, we have spent millions on trying to reach the summit of football. I don't expect us to win the league every season but we should at least try to. There have been far too many insipid and lacklustre performances this season which gives the impression that a lot of these players don't give a shit

Liverpool at home and away
Stoke away
Norwich away
Southampton away
Leicester at home
Aston Villa away
Man Utd home and away
Real Madrid away

to name a few examples

The worst was utd at home. For me the derby is still the biggest game of the season and the way we got beaten at home was infuriating. We have been having a dig at the rags all season but the fact is 4th place is in their hands and with the manager and squad they have this scenario should never have occurred

Anyway rant over
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby City64 » Mon May 09, 2016 7:22 pm

freshie wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:
freshie wrote:

Entitlement.

Gloryhunter? Fuck off you twat. I was one of the 30,000 that was there in the old division 2 when we had cunts like Frank Clark, Phil Neal and Steve Coppell in charge, probably long before you had even heard of Manchester City Football Club so don't you dare call me a gloryhunter. It's easy to sit in your armchair in Sweden (apologies if that's not where you live) and slag off genuine fans who left after the final whistle on Sunday but at least we make the effort to support the team home and away. I couldn't care less whether you live in Manchester or not but making flippant posts like the one above is inflammatory and if that was your intention then well done.

The fact is that we are entitled to expect more from such an expensively assembled squad who are privileged to have training facilities that would be the envy of most clubs in the world. They get paid an awful lot of money to perform to the best of their abilities and I think there are a lot of them who have coasted through the season, stealing a living. It is a different landscape to that of the 90s as back then I didn't expect us to win anything due to our financial constraints. Since Sheikh Mansour took over, however, we have spent millions on trying to reach the summit of football. I don't expect us to win the league every season but we should at least try to. There have been far too many insipid and lacklustre performances this season which gives the impression that a lot of these players don't give a shit

Liverpool at home and away
Stoke away
Norwich away
Southampton away
Leicester at home
Aston Villa away
Man Utd home and away
Real Madrid away

to name a few examples

The worst was utd at home. For me the derby is still the biggest game of the season and the way we got beaten at home was infuriating. We have been having a dig at the rags all season but the fact is 4th place is in their hands and with the manager and squad they have this scenario should never have occurred

Anyway rant over

After the derby loss at home was the possibly the worst feeling I have ever had being a city fan and we have been through everything over the many years . I went into town for a beer and got into a nasty fight with a rag doorman who was a proper cunt ! Some of these pricks who post shite like this smug knob just haven't got a clue .
Anyways rant over for me also , nice post well put pal .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby gillie » Mon May 09, 2016 8:01 pm

These players we have are really frauds because performances like Sevilla away show that if they can be bothered they are good enough to win against anyone. But too many times this season they have failed to try and that's why I call them frauds.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum