Who should play striker v Madrid?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Who should play striker v Madrid?

Postby freshie » Sun May 01, 2016 8:55 pm

Dimples wrote:Kun.
He is the finished article, Nacho is a work in progress.

Exactly
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Sideshow Bob » Sun May 01, 2016 8:56 pm

whisper it but aguero has been shit for most of this season. week after week we make excuses for him and wait for him to find form. he and silva are shadows atm.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby nottsblue » Sun May 01, 2016 9:03 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:Arguably the best striker in the world and you ask this?

Strange thread.

Reasons are in the OP. He is not fit and was a liability the first leg. That's all. We will need to score at least once on Wednesday and Aguero is not our only option. Very likely the best option, but football sometimes throws out surprises

If he truly isn't fit we should play Kelechi but I am sure that's not the case. I rate Kelechi massively and we should not be afraid of throwing him on if needed but he doesnt start.

Obviously, not being truly fit is speculation on my part. But when you compare performances just lately as to those earlier on in the season, his movement, sharpness, willingness to run behind defenders, make runs into the box just aren't the same. He seems to be playing within himself somehow. Now, an 80% Aguero is probably better than most forwards but a 60/70% Aguero is not. Only Aguero knows really how he fit he is but it's my guess he is off the pace enough from his usual high standard to be concerned and look at alternatives

He may well have been playing within himself because i think he is a bit tired.That i put totally down to Pellers mismanagement through the season. Even leaving out any argument about Bony and how dire he is we should have been blooding more of the quality youth we have and obviously allowing Kelechi more starts.

Very true with regards to the management of the rotation, or lack of it. But this is the crux of my point. Aguero is not firing on all cylinders, maybe for reasons of lack of rotation, maybe he has had one too many kicks to his ankles, maybe he has a tight calf/hamstring/knee and isn't as mobile or quick as he would like.

Maybe this game is too soon for Iheanacho, given it's magnitude. But I do think he is good enough and hungry enough and ready for it
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun May 01, 2016 9:06 pm

This the same Aguero that has scored 7 in his last 5 league games?

He did struggle against Madrid in the first leg but he's the type of player than can destroy a team on his own on his day, there's no justification in leaving him out of a CL semi final.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Sparklehorse » Sun May 01, 2016 9:10 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:whisper it but aguero has been shit for most of this season. week after week we make excuses for him and wait for him to find form. he and silva are shadows atm.

22 goals and missing for 8-9 games....really awful form ????
I would say he has looked less explosive since the injury....but every time he gets the ball 2, 3 or 4 players surround him and this is why we should be taking advantage of that situation.
Nacho will be a phenomenon next season...he is going to be a superstar. I do hope it is with us.
Meanwhile Wednesday Aguero must start and we must set up to give him service !!!
I hope we dont need Nacho but if we do we all know that he knows where the net is !!!
I smell the final with us in it!!!
"Its better to be thought of as being a fool and remain silent than to speak up and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Sparklehorse
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: All of them

Postby Saul Goodman » Mon May 02, 2016 4:10 am

According to Manuel itll be Aguero.
He said 10 different players vs Madrid which only leaves Joe...and means Martin in defense.
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby zuricity » Mon May 02, 2016 9:41 am

i hope whoever gets the strikers job takes it seriously on wednesday and doesn't just 'play' at it !
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby ruralblue » Mon May 02, 2016 10:49 am

Personally Id like Bony to play up front on his own.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon May 02, 2016 12:45 pm

ruralblue wrote:Personally Id like Bony to play up front on his own.

While the rest of the squad travel to Madrid?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue May 03, 2016 11:42 am

I'd sooner bring The Goat out of retirement than play Bony as he is at the moment. No need for him even on the bench, I believe. He has never got over malaria. Some people never do. He has my sympathy for that.

Aguero to start with Iheanacho on the bench.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby aristation » Tue May 03, 2016 12:48 pm

Has to be Aguero but I echo the concern about his lack of movement and speed in the last few games. Lets hope he was saving it for tomorrow
It may be my last year as a season ticket holder as it just doesn't seem the same with so few English and local players (but I said that last year)
aristation
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Darius Vassell's Composure

My favourite player is: Shaun Goater

Postby Wonderwall » Tue May 03, 2016 12:58 pm

aristation wrote:Has to be Aguero but I echo the concern about his lack of movement and speed in the last few games. Lets hope he was saving it for tomorrow

Aguero does give off an air of "can't be arsed" and looks "sulky" when an attack breaks down. I want the hungry and workmanlike Aguero, that never gives up and gives the opposition nightmares. God knows which one we will get.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby nottsblue » Wed May 04, 2016 8:49 pm

Turns out Aguero wasn't the guy to play after all. Neither was KDB. Aguero's work rate was non existent and when you look at the way Lewandowski leads the line at Bayern, Aguero will either seriously need to up his game next season or face being marginalised
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby sidSmith » Wed May 04, 2016 8:56 pm

nottsblue wrote:Turns out Aguero wasn't the guy to play after all. Neither was KDB. Aguero's work rate was non existent and when you look at the way Lewandowski leads the line at Bayern, Aguero will either seriously need to up his game next season or face being marginalised

Never. New manager, new season, new player...... hopefully!
sidSmith
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Wooders » Thu May 05, 2016 8:40 am

Shame he decided he was a midfielder last night
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu May 05, 2016 8:42 am

Wooders wrote:Shame he decided he was a midfielder last night

It was, it was also a shame our players thought he was a 6ft + centre forward for most of the night.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Cocacolajojo » Thu May 05, 2016 9:14 am

nottsblue wrote:Turns out Aguero wasn't the guy to play after all. Neither was KDB. Aguero's work rate was non existent and when you look at the way Lewandowski leads the line at Bayern, Aguero will either seriously need to up his game next season or face being marginalised

Work rate was excellent. Performance with the ball bad. Just because a player is having a bad game doesn't mean he's not trying.

After the first, brilliant, pass to Sterling, Nacho did nothing of note IMO: Ihenacho was muscled of the ball far too easily by Pepe on the few occassions he was able to make contact with the ball again. And that's ok, he's not supposed to come in and turn the CL semi final around at his age. It's however a fucking shambles that we've had to rely on an under-performing Agüero for the last 2 or 3 months. We've had Bony, who has no confidence left what so ever, and Nacho, who's great and all but who's clearly treated as a player for next season. That means the management has clearly decided it as feasible to try win both the League and the Champion's League with one striker basically. If that's not a Spafia fuck up of the highest order I don't know what is.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu May 05, 2016 12:56 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:whisper it but aguero has been shit for most of this season. week after week we make excuses for him and wait for him to find form. he and silva are shadows atm.

fucking diabolical yet again!! offered no more than bony would have done! we need to fucking stop making excuses for his laziness and poor decision making. was absolutely fuming at his display last night.

ps go ahead and point to his goal tally all u like, but how many of those goals were pens? and how many were game changers?
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby bigblue » Thu May 05, 2016 1:47 pm

Aguero hasn't had a single shot on target in the last 5 CL games. That's atrocious
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Sideshow Bob » Thu May 05, 2016 4:03 pm

bigblue wrote:Aguero hasn't had a single shot on target in the last 5 CL games. That's atrocious

shocking statistic. he has been incredibly ineffectual.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum