Sir Fernandinho

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Sir Fernandinho

Postby sheblue » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:20 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Hard to argue otherwise.

Aguero has to be in with a shout though and Kev.

If they didn't miss so many games, yes. But fern mark 1 is the man.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:35 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:He has been part of a midfield that has not been very effective.
Aguero is player of the season.

We have one of the best defensivedefensive records in the League and it's not down the clowns at the back. Aguero is fantastic but Fernandinho has been consistently good all season.

Poty by a country mile imo.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby nottsblue » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:35 pm

POTY?

There are still 7/8 games to go. A lot of time for someone to make their mark. If Kun gets another ten in leading us to the CL he will walk it. Similarly for KDB. Fernandinho up to now has probably been our most consistent performer. Consistency doesn't necessarily lead to glory and/or pots. He isn't a game changer or match winner in the mould of Kun or KDB. Or even Hart for that matter
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:39 pm

nottsblue wrote:POTY?

There are still 7/8 games to go. A lot of time for someone to make their mark. If Kun gets another ten in leading us to the CL he will walk it. Similarly for KDB. Fernandinho up to now has probably been our most consistent performer. Consistency doesn't necessarily lead to glory and/or pots. He isn't a game changer or match winner in the mould of Kun or KDB. Or even Hart for that matter

He has been fantastic all season. Some people have short memories. Kdb has been out for 2 months. Kung-fu was out for 6 weeks or more. Hart is a good shout. Herb will agree.
Wonderwall

Postby nottsblue » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:44 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

He has been fantastic all season. Some people have short memories. Kdb has been out for 2 months. Kung-fu was out for 6 weeks or more. Hart is a good shout. Herb will agree.

Not saying he hasn't had a good season. Mentioned he was our most consistent performer. My point is in the next 7/8 games if someone scored a lot of goals or is instrumental in getting us to the CL final or even winning it, then that player will be the one remembered. The motm performances earlier in the games where we lost or scraped wins will be soon forgotten. Whether that is right or wrong is another matter.

If the season ends with 3/4th in PL and defeat in CL semi then Fern will likely get it, and deservedly so
nottsblue

Postby Cocacolajojo » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:46 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

Who's Kung-Fu?
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:48 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Not saying he hasn't had a good season. Mentioned he was our most consistent performer. My point is in the next 7/8 games if someone scored a lot of goals or is instrumental in getting us to the CL final or even winning it, then that player will be the one remembered. The motm performances earlier in the games where we lost or scraped wins will be soon forgotten. Whether that is right or wrong is another matter.

If the season ends with 3/4th in PL and defeat in CL semi then Fern will likely get it, and deservedly so

But it's poty. He has been our best player over the season. Attacking players will always catch the eye for the glory. I think it would be right and just to recognise Fernandinho's work rate and quality over the whole season.
Wonderwall

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:53 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Wrong again NB. Pony has been our most consistent performer. Ask Carl.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby bigblue » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:59 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:He has been part of a midfield that has not been very effective.

If you think the midfield is not effective, just wait until Fernandinho is out for an extended period of time. He's had to do the work of 2 people most of the season, and has done a good job at that.

When people say things like this I really wonder if you bother to watch the games at all.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby bigblue » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:06 pm

nottsblue wrote:Not saying he hasn't had a good season. Mentioned he was our most consistent performer. My point is in the next 7/8 games if someone scored a lot of goals or is instrumental in getting us to the CL final or even winning it, then that player will be the one remembered. The motm performances earlier in the games where we lost or scraped wins will be soon forgotten. Whether that is right or wrong is another matter.

I think whether it's right or wrong is exactly what we are discussing.

Is it right for the best player over the entire season to get "Player of the Year"? Or should the "Player of the Year" go to the player with the most memorable performances in April/May?

The term "Player of the Year" seems to strongly suggest that the best player over the course of the season should be named "Player of the Year"...
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby nottsblue » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:31 pm

bigblue wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Not saying he hasn't had a good season. Mentioned he was our most consistent performer. My point is in the next 7/8 games if someone scored a lot of goals or is instrumental in getting us to the CL final or even winning it, then that player will be the one remembered. The motm performances earlier in the games where we lost or scraped wins will be soon forgotten. Whether that is right or wrong is another matter.

I think whether it's right or wrong is exactly what we are discussing.

Is it right for the best player over the entire season to get "Player of the Year"? Or should the "Player of the Year" go to the player with the most memorable performances in April/May?

The term "Player of the Year" seems to strongly suggest that the best player over the course of the season should be named "Player of the Year"...

Not suggesting a player who performs well in just April and May will win it. My original post suggested that if either Kun or Kev scored another ten goals and we won the CL then they would win it. That would take Kun to 35 goals or Kev to 25 with a load more assists. Both of those over the course of the season would deserve the award IMO. Equally, if the season peters out without further success then Fern has done enough to warrant the award.
nottsblue

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:43 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

We have one of the best defensivedefensive records in the League and it's not down the clowns at the back. Aguero is fantastic but Fernandinho has been consistently good all season.

Poty by a country mile imo.[/quote

You could argue that the clowns at the back haven't had protection from the midfield.
I think Ferna has had a good season no doubt, but he hasn't made a truly outstanding difference in the way that Aguero has.
Serg is the finest striker in the league, Is Fernandinho the finest in his position? I'm not so sure.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby bigblue » Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:53 pm

nottsblue wrote:Not suggesting a player who performs well in just April and May will win it. My original post suggested that if either Kun or Kev scored another ten goals and we won the CL then they would win it. That would take Kun to 35 goals or Kev to 25 with a load more assists. Both of those over the course of the season would deserve the award IMO. Equally, if the season peters out without further success then Fern has done enough to warrant the award.

If any of our better players (over the whole season) score 10 goals in the last 1.5 months, they'll probably be considered POTY. Including Fernandinho. So you're not really saying too much in my opinion.

nottsblue wrote:Serg is the finest striker in the league, Is Fernandinho the finest in his position? I'm not so sure.

Yes. He most definitely is.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Fullartj » Thu Apr 21, 2016 10:32 am

I agree with what people are saying about Fernadinho as he has been top class this year!

But as for Aguero being overlooked for the POTY award its gone way beyond a joke at this stage, He is clearly the best striker in the league by a country mile. If you asked any fan from any club which striker they would take in their team.. do you think they would say Kane/Vardy/Martial/Giroud??? B8llox it would be Aguero as he is one of the best strikers in the world and we are blessed to have him playing in the City Colours.
Fullartj
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mase » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:22 pm

Fullartj wrote:I agree with what people are saying about Fernadinho as he has been top class this year!

But as for Aguero being overlooked for the POTY award its gone way beyond a joke at this stage, He is clearly the best striker in the league by a country mile. If you asked any fan from any club which striker they would take in their team.. do you think they would say Kane/Vardy/Martial/Giroud??? B8llox it would be Aguero as he is one of the best strikers in the world and we are blessed to have him playing in the City Colours.

People are idiots mate.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby bigblue » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:23 pm

I love Pep's love for Fernandinho:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... -tottenham

“That is because Fernandinho can do everything,” Guardiola says. “What we have achieved so far would have been impossible without him. He is fast, he is intelligent, strong in the air and he can play in several positions. No sooner does he see a space than he runs there immediately. If you need someone to make a correction or a challenge, he sees it too. If a team had three Fernandinhos, they would be champions. We only have one and he is very important to us.”
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby sheblue » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:01 pm

Pep is 100% on this one. We have nobody to replace him, were still short a central midfielder. Fern2, delph etc don't come anywhere close, not anywhere near his league.
I hope he stays fit and fresh because without him were in a tricky spot.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:27 am

sheblue wrote:Pep is 100% on this one. We have nobody to replace him, were still short a central midfielder. Fern2, delph etc don't come anywhere close, not anywhere near his league.

Gundogan is an "intelligent and complete midfielder with numerous strengths"... his "willingness to learn" and "great attitude", have allowed him to play a pivotal role in his later career at Dortmund. He was able to fit into Dortmund's explosive playing style "by combining creativity and outstanding passing with the defensive attributes and tireless energy needed".

said Klippety

- I think it's a bit early to be discounting Ilkay after his quiet start - bad injuries, long lay offs, new team, new manager

give him a chance.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:30 am

johnny crossan wrote:
sheblue wrote:Pep is 100% on this one. We have nobody to replace him, were still short a central midfielder. Fern2, delph etc don't come anywhere close, not anywhere near his league.

Gundogan is an "intelligent and complete midfielder with numerous strengths"... his "willingness to learn" and "great attitude", have allowed him to play a pivotal role in his later career at Dortmund. He was able to fit into Dortmund's explosive playing style "by combining creativity and outstanding passing with the defensive attributes and tireless energy needed".

said Klippety

- I think it's a bit early to be discounting Ilkay after his quiet start - bad injuries, long lay offs, new team, new manager

give him a chance.

Good call JC.

When he does finally come fully up to speed - and it will certainly take a little time yet - he'll add further, valid options for Pep's imaginative permutations.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby sheblue » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:59 pm

johnny crossan wrote:

said Klippety

give him a chance.

Of course he must be given a chance. I am not discounting him. But we don't have many options to replace fern1 NOW. Gundogan is not at the party yet, but he will be.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum