Mid table

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Mid table

Postby Fidel Castro » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:28 am

I never mentioned Delph, I think he is class.
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby halnone » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:42 am

Shit post
halnone
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Slim » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:02 am

Fidel Castro wrote:I never mentioned Delph, I think he is class.

SSB did.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby PeterParker » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:48 am

For a defensive midfielder, Fernando is actually good.

Watch how many counters he stopped. I think he have the lowest numbers of goals conceided on the counter. Plus, he scores.

Him and Fernandinho have the most difficult job in the squad and that is to cover Yaya's ass when he forgets how to come and defend.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Mase » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:51 am

Delph has been a real surprise for me. I wasn't bothered about signing and didn't think he'd offer us anything. He's changed my mind when he's been fit.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:06 am

Slim wrote:

SSB did.

Tell tale. My point is having a Delph or Fern 2 as a squad player is fine, but not both of them. On ability I would keep Delph but yesterday was only his 6th start mainly due to injury and he managed less than 100 starts in 6 years at Villa. Our plan is to rule the world but 6 years or so into this project we have 4 genuine central midfielders. Yaya, Ferns and Delph. Given the age of Yaya (best player I have ever seen) and Fern 1 we are nowhere near where we should be in central midfield quality. This is why I agree we do have a touch of the mid table about us at times.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Cocacolajojo » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:23 am

ColinTheKing made a worthwile post a long time ago about the difference between our second eleven and United's second eleven at the start of, I think, the 09-10 campaign. His point was, I think, that we shouldn't expect to win the season considering the weak state of our second eleven. Since, the squad has grown much stronger and yet I don't think it's level-minded to expect that we can have two elevens of superstars. Our second eleven is about as strong as can be.

As we've talked aobut over and over again, we've mostly been let down by our starting eleven. Either through lack of form, lack of interest, injuries or lack of proper management, they've let us down. However, what bugs me about both Mancini and Pellegrini is how poor they've managed our squad players. Granted, Mancini was even poorer at this than Pellegrini, but I still don't think the count has improved much either. Whenever you see the second string playing, you don't get a feeling that any of the players relish the chance of breaking into the starting eleven. They generally look lack lustre and like going through the motions. You'd expect them to behave like the youth players did away at Stamford Bridge, but no. IMO, it's probably because they know they stand little or no chance of establishing themselves in the starting eleven. If I'm right, it's gotta be a killer for the sense of competition within in the squad and the possible effect that competition might have on the regular starters. Add to that the inability to let youth playuers have a chance and spice things up and we basically have two squads within the squad.

Both Mancini and Pellegrini, especially Mancini, manage their teams like we were still in the eighties. We're not. It's astounding that they're still behaving like it.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:43 am

Cocacolajojo wrote:ColinTheKing made a worthwile post a long time ago about the difference between our second eleven and United's second eleven at the start of, I think, the 09-10 campaign. His point was, I think, that we shouldn't expect to win the season considering the weak state of our second eleven. Since, the squad has grown much stronger and yet I don't think it's level-minded to expect that we can have two elevens of superstars. Our second eleven is about as strong as can be.

As we've talked aobut over and over again, we've mostly been let down by our starting eleven. Either through lack of form, lack of interest, injuries or lack of proper management, they've let us down. However, what bugs me about both Mancini and Pellegrini is how poor they've managed our squad players. Granted, Mancini was even poorer at this than Pellegrini, but I still don't think the count has improved much either. Whenever you see the second string playing, you don't get a feeling that any of the players relish the chance of breaking into the starting eleven. They generally look lack lustre and like going through the motions. You'd expect them to behave like the youth players did away at Stamford Bridge, but no. IMO, it's probably because they know they stand little or no chance of establishing themselves in the starting eleven. If I'm right, it's gotta be a killer for the sense of competition within in the squad and the possible effect that competition might have on the regular starters. Add to that the inability to let youth playuers have a chance and spice things up and we basically have two squads within the squad.

Both Mancini and Pellegrini, especially Mancini, manage their teams like we were still in the eighties. We're not. It's astounding that they're still behaving like it.

I think the problem is deeper than that. We had Aguero, Balo, Tevez and Dzeko up front. We now have Aguero, Nacho and Bony. The squad is poorer. The CB situation has declined too. MP should hang his head in shame given the money spent. We have suffered a terrible run of injuries but the back up is mid table.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Dameerto » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:31 pm

I don't see any doubt that the squad has become steadily weaker under Pellegrini's time in charge. And that we have paid very heavily for doing it. I strongly suspect it's mainly pellegrini's fault as well - he has been the one deciding who leaves the squad if not who has replaced them (although some of out signings, IE Willy and MDM would suggest he had a big say in who came in as well).
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:25 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:Otamendi
Mangala
Zabba
Clichy
Fernando
Navas
Kolarov
Clichy
Bony

are all mid table players, don't know why it only just dawned on me but maybe we overestimate the quality of our squad and 4-6th is exactly where we belong

And yet of those nine players, five have won at least one title with us, seven have never finished below 2nd in the premier league and most are regular internationals with larger nations.

Could we improve on them, yes, but I'd say the same about Bayern or Barca etc. In terms of the premier league, who has a stronger first 11? Or deeper squad? I'd say no one, but we've been hampered by too many injuries to key players (Vardy, Mahrez, Kane, Alli etc have played virtually every game), poor form of some of the squad players (looking at you, Bony) and a combination of poor management generally and an unwillingness to blood youngsters. The rags' kids are no better than ours and they've been forced to use them and have realised they're better than some of the shite they bought.

Roll on August
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby PrezIke » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:29 pm

Interesting to read some see Nico as a "mid table" player or just crap all together.

According to WhoScored average player ratings for the season, he is 11th in the entire league at 7.47/game in 26 appearances, and the highest ranked City player. (Silva is next coming in at 17th with 7.31/game )

https://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/T ... -2015-2016

If you think it is poorly done, the ratings come from, "Player ratings are based on each event recorded in the game calculated live automatically using our own algorithms, which comprise of over 200 raw statistics. All events are valued based on a researched perception of the effect on the outcome of the match. Positive events are valued against negative events." Check the rest of the list. Generally seems sensible:

10) Ericksen
9) Kane
8) Vardy
7) Kanté
6) Sanchéz
5) van Djik
4) Özil
3) Payet
2) Dembélé
1) Mahrez

I do agree he takes risks that has put us into trouble, especially whilst partnered with Mangala, and goes to ground too easily, but he is very much the type of defender I think Pep will want because of his ability to pass the ball as a centre half. He will surely be given another season, at least.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Fidel Castro » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:11 am

If he puts Silva as our second best player of the season, it proves how shit it is...
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby PrezIke » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:19 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:If he puts Silva as our second best player of the season, it proves how shit it is...

Well, it's the average and earlier in the season Silva was playing very well before he got hurt. He's had a few good games since then.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Socrates » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:57 pm

PrezIke wrote:
Fidel Castro wrote:If he puts Silva as our second best player of the season, it proves how shit it is...

Well, it's the average and earlier in the season Silva was playing very well before he got hurt. He's had a few good games since then.

He was on fire until he got injured, people are also underestimating his contribution now, he was being derided in one recent game as being ff the pace (Spurs defeat I think) but he would have had 2 assists if Aguero hadn't missed the chances he created. He probably gets points for creating those chances under this guy's automatic system...
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum