Ter Stegen

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Ter Stegen

Postby PeterParker » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:46 pm

Balague suggested we offered him a big contract to move. Wtf are we doing? What is the point of this transfer?

Sure we are not selling Joe, no?
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Re: Ter Stegen

Postby Saul Goodman » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:52 pm

PeterParker wrote:Balague suggested we offered him a big contract to move. Wtf are we doing? What is the point of this transfer?

I think thats exactly whats happening. His distribution is too shite for Pep
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby PeterParker » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:55 pm

Saul Goodman wrote:
PeterParker wrote:Balague suggested we offered him a big contract to move. Wtf are we doing? What is the point of this transfer?

What about the english players in the squad rule?
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:59 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:

He takes Caballero's place.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sat Apr 02, 2016 2:59 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:

Rename him Terry Sturgess, job done.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby phips » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:07 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
Saul Goodman wrote:

He takes Caballero's place.

keep Hart for next season and then sell him? Bring in Gunn as backup after he gets first team action this upcoming season?
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby bigblue » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:11 pm

hard to image a more pointless transfer for us at the moment
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Dameerto » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:12 pm

If there's any truth to it, it's obviously Pep that's asked for it - maybe it's competition for the number one spot (which Hart could probably do with to raise his game - he's not really being challenged for club or country right now).
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Moonchesteri » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:14 pm

bigblue wrote:hard to image a more pointless transfer for us at the moment

I agree with this.

We are talking about some 70mil for this lad and the Spanish CB.
I think that money should be spent on a top class striker/winger instead
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby Sister of fu » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:15 pm

Is it a pointless transfer though? I like Joe Hart but is he in the top 5 keepers in world football? Is Stegan though? What I have seen of him I like. I trust Peps judgment over mine though and heard a few stories of out going players that City fans will be shocked at. Is Joe one of them?
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Cocacolajojo » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:18 pm

Sister of fu wrote:Is it a pointless transfer though? I like Joe Hart but is he in the top 5 keepers in world football? Is Stegan though? What I have seen of him I like. I trust Peps judgment over mine though and heard a few stories of out going players that City fans will be shocked at. Is Joe one of them?

Is he?
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby PeterParker » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:23 pm

Yes, but Willy needs a new contract.

Best back-up keeper in the league. He doesn't moan and every time he played (almost), he did his job really good. I would want him to stay and I think every fan thinks the same.

If we want Ter Stegen, Joe or Willy will go, we cannot keep them both and sell Wright.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Moonchesteri » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:26 pm

PeterParker wrote:Yes, but Willy needs a new contract.

Best back-up keeper in the league. He doesn't moan and every time he played (almost), he did his job really good. I would want him to stay and I think every fan thinks the same.

If we want Ter Stegen, Joe or Willy will go, we cannot keep them both and sell Wright.

No. I disagree about him being good. Imo he's been very dodgy most of the time and the LC final just masks the previous poor performances. He'll always be cult hero and remembered fondly because of the LC final though.

And overall it is fucking stupid to have a foreign back-up keeper and that needs to change
Our options is to promote Gunn, drop Joe or sign a foreign broke but IMHO Willy needs to go.
Last edited by Moonchesteri on Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby PeterParker » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:28 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:

No. What is fucking stupid is having a foreign back-up keeper and that needs to change.
Our options is to promote Gunn, drop Joe or sign a foreign broke but IMHO Willy needs to go.
He'll always be cult hero for the LC final though.

I think Joe needs a rival there. I don't think Gunn can be that at the moment. The kid needs a loan to play. Read here that Wigan wants him. It would be fantastic. Joe became amazing at B'gham. Before that, here, he was a calamity as I recall.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Moonchesteri » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:30 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Moonchesteri wrote:

No. What is fucking stupid is having a foreign back-up keeper and that needs to change.
He'll always be cult hero for the LC final though.

I think Joe needs a rival there. I don't think Gunn can be that at the moment. The kid needs a loan to play. Read here that Wigan wants him. It would be fantastic. Joe became amazing at B'gham. Before that, here, he was a calamity as I recall.

You are correct there on both points.

Wigan loan deal would be fantastic for Gunn if he was a starter.

And yep Joe needs a rival. But I do have a feeling big money signing would become no.1 here and Joe would be out in a year
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby PrezIke » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:38 pm

bigblue wrote:hard to image a more pointless transfer for us at the moment

That was my first reaction when I heard of it, but then you see what Ter Stegen can do with the ball with his feet, his confidence -- almost allowing him to be another defender -- the statistics about distribution and punching, compared to Joe, and that Pep wants us to play a certain way that it makes sense.

Check this article on Pep's "Tactical revolution" at Bayern:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2578 ... -guardiola

The “tiki-taka” of yesteryear is gone, replaced with a faster, more transition-based game.

In 2015-16, the game plan is less about maintaining the ball for a long period of time and more about precisely and deliberately moving it into position to score. Possession with a purpose, as Guardiola was seeking as early as his first season at Bayern (revealed in Marti Perarnau’s book Pep Confidential, h/t the Telegraph), but has only been able to truly deliver in the current campaign.

Perhaps as part of an overall more pragmatic approach to the game, and keeping in line with the theme of passing with intent to score rather than simply maintain possession, Guardiola’s Bayern have taken to playing more long balls.

I love Joe, how he came back from his struggles 2 years ago to improve, and he has had a very good season for us. However, he is not going to help us in this area if this is the direction he is going, which this signing would clearly indicate. He has also shown weakness with shots to his left, and Ter Stegen is no slouch when it comes to shot stopping in big games, and is more of a natural athlete from my observations.

This would point to a complete change in style of play, and one that we should be excited about, I think. We are not going to see many games like the one we had against Utd with 60%+ possession and so few good chances on goal.

As for the English player quota, either Joe will stay for a season and it will be a replacement for Willy, or we go and sign players like Stones and/or Oxlade-Chamberlain (I think he will be sold), to replace him. Not sure what type of HG player Denayer qualifies as, but he may help in this area as well.
Last edited by PrezIke on Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby bigblue » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:38 pm

Sister of fu wrote:Is it a pointless transfer though? I like Joe Hart but is he in the top 5 keepers in world football? Is Stegan though? What I have seen of him I like. I trust Peps judgment over mine though and heard a few stories of out going players that City fans will be shocked at. Is Joe one of them?

I'd say so. But regardless of his number on the list, he's consistently saving our arse in the league and never fails to pull world class saves vs the top CL teams. Plus he's City through and through. Been with is the longest out of any senior player (I think). We're an English team and we have England's #1 in goal. Just make sense.

Get a top youth keeper behind him for peanuts. Paying tens of millions for something worse than what we already have is braindead
Last edited by bigblue on Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Hazy2 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:43 pm

The audition was this season, the Derby shank will have convinced Pep, not ever gonna be able to build from the back with his shit feet.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby PrezIke » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:44 pm

PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby bigblue » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:50 pm

Hazy2 wrote:The audition was this season, the Derby shank will have convinced Pep, not ever gonna be able to build from the back with his shit feet.

I'm sorry but thats bullshit. In Pep's system, a big part is the players pulling wide and showing for the ball. Hart is bad at long passes, but how hard is it to play the ball 20 yard to the closest defender?

Plus, I'd rather have a keeper who makes incredible saves than a keeper who is known for being great with the ball at their feet. Like signing a striker who is known for defending well.

Joe consistently makes incredible saves. As in "how the hell did he just do that" saves. And it's not like he's known to mess up. He's only made one gaffe in recent memory. he can play in Pep's team no problem.

Signing another big name keeper is completely pointless
Last edited by bigblue on Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum