***Manchester City v Tottenham Hotspur PREVIEW***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

***Manchester City v Tottenham Hotspur PREVIEW***

Postby bobby brows » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:25 am

Manchester City v Tottenham Hotspur
Cecil the Lion Premier League
Sunday 14th February, 4:15pm KO
Live on Sky Sports

ImageImage

Referee: Mark Clattenberg

So what have I missed? In all seriousness despite the majority of this week spent ignoring the papers, websites and social media, when I finally saw the goals conceded to Leicester it was was bad as I’d imagined it was going to be…and I only watched the 60 second highlights on City’s website where they only showed the goals! It’s our old Achilles heel of being generally gash at set pieces, both attacking and defending them, whilst conceding quick counter attacking goals in a manner we’ve conceded ever since Svennigans was a child. Leicester were fast, quick, tall, strong and streetwise; their football very direct and they had a game plan much better than ours. It’s almost like they were created in test tubes with the specific design on knowing how to beat us. It’s been the same old story for years fill your team with beasts and get the ball forward as quickly as you can.

OK, full disclosure time I wasn’t at the game (I’d actually given my ticket to a Leicester supporting mate so feel free to revoke my legend status) as I was racing down the motorway in the direction of Merseyside with Storm Imogen Thomas fresh on our heels as I tried to convince both management and players that our game at AFC Liverpool was going to go ahead as visibility on the roads was reduced to a distance that even Dietmar Hamann might have covered quickly.

I didn’t see the game but I imagine out thought and out fought will just about cover it. The text messages I received from barryconlonsbaldspot told me all I needed to know. City are currently in a quandary and after last week’s revelation of the world’s worst kept secret that Pep is going to replace Pellers in the summer I had to ask myself why? I actually listened to a few minutes of Talksport following the announcement as I wanted to hear some of the bile first hand from the “we didn’t want him anyway” brigade. However the first comment was from a pundit about how Pellegrini show his arrogance to decide to announce it now as if it were some sort of dissention in the ranks. Of all the managers accused to have an ego in the media this one is the furthest stretched.

At first I thought it was clever, he’s firing up his players who know a new man is coming in and they will be playing for their place in the side next season, Pellegrini could ride that wave to a not impossible or even all that improbable (before Saturday) title challenge and leave reputation at an all-time high. At worst, he could turn round to potential new suitors and say that he had had his legs taken from under him if the team failed to secure silverware and to look at the superb job he’d done in untenable circumstances. If they do manage to win something (I’ll settle for the League Cup now) it will be a triumph for Pellers against the evil Spanish men trying to bring their mate in Unproven in the Premier League Pep. Sadly, I’m a little more worried now that in fact he knows that the game is up and he’s already waving the white flag. Our run of current games will define this season and it looks like this: Spurs, Chelsea, Dinamo Kiev, Liverpool, Liverpool. Currently it’s not inconceivable if City play like they did on Sunday they could lose them all.

Whilst it easy to dismiss the opening four paragraphs as Arsenal levels of hysteria (oh and did you notice the Klopp Out hashtags on Tuesday night LMAO) and I know our form prior to Saturday was relatively decent but we were playing mid table mediocrity in the most part.

My main concern has increasingly become with our lack of a plan A. Plan B in the FA Cup has worked very nicely so far, Kelechi and/or Sergio up front, shed loads of width and fill the midfield with water carriers like Delph and Fernandinho and play on the counter dispatching the dregs of the Premier League so comfortably I’m not even sure if the media realised we had entered the competition such was their lack of coverage. (Sidebar: Congratulations to the Glazer family on their 50th consecutive televised FA Cup tie against those world giants Shrewsbury Town!) However, plan A has been to try and accommodate Silva/Sterling/De Bruyne/Aguero/Toure into a line-up that just isn’t equipped to cope with them. City need to get on the blower to Juventus offer them a blank cheque plus Yaya and secure the services of Pogba tomorrow. I’d settle for Esteban Cambiasso at this moment.

Brian Clough allegedly once said “You need three piano tuners and at least seven piano lifters.” City’s defensive shape is all over the shop, two years ago City would swarm around the ball deep inside the opponents half to try and win it back, now we don’t press at all and we allow the opposition to canter to the edge of our own penalty area at will and without challenge. We’ve no one who can consistently win the ball back and seem to be filled with players who make half-hearted attempts only to get skinned with ease or concede silly free kicks. We started with De Jong and Gareth Barry in midfield to good effect then replaced that with Barry and James Milner followed by a host of holding midfielders Jack Rodwell, Javi Garcia, Fernando, Fernandinho and I’m sure I’m missing some. Toure and/or Fernandinho is a weekly disaster waiting to happen as the Brazilian tries to do all things in the midfield.

Spurs

First of all, what on earth is a quarter past four kick off? It’s Liverpool v Arsenal followed by Manchester City v Spurs which Sky are doing their absolute best not to call Grand Slam Sunday as their beloved United aren’t involved.

In fairness whilst I normally despise Spurs it’s hard not to admire how they’ve just got on with it this season. Under Pochettino they seemed to have eased back on the wheeling dealing days of Redknapp & Levy by actually selling 26 players between July and January most notably Aaron Lennon, Andros Townsend and Roberto Soldado. Spurs have always seemed flash to me ever since they rocked up to Maine Road in October 94 with Klinsman, Petrescu and Popescu but seemed to buck that trend in the summer when they booked Kieran Trippier from Burnley and, one where we missed out big time, Toby Alderweireld from Atletico Madrid via Southampton and an out of court settlement. Gone are those that have flattered to deceive whilst receiving huge and unwarranted hype: Paulinho, Holtby, Capoue, Kabou and Stambouli just to name a few.

In Hugo Lloris I think they’ve got the only goalkeeper in the league who could hold a candle to our own number one whilst the central defensive partnership of Alderweireld and Jan Vertonghen has been really impressive. Kyle Walker and Danny Rose are what you need in modern fullbacks…quick enough to recover from their mistakes.

Eric Dier seems to have excelled in the middle of the park whilst Christian Eriksen and Erik Lamela have been decent this season. Obviously the media hype is on Dele Alli whose already been compared to a young Steven Gerrard. To be fair to the lad he’s been excellent, done some special things already but I think it’s unfair for him to be compared to Gerrard…he might win the league.

Up front they’ve got saviour of England Harry Kane whose defied expectation, and me making him my fantasy captain in a direct attempt to sabotage him, and has 15 goals in the league. In fact, if he’d have recovered his form before y our thrashing at White Hart Lane or £22m signing Son Heung-Min had more than 3 goals to his name we might be welcoming the league leaders to the Etihad today.

City
Let’s start by listing the current injuries:

David Silva (Ankle), Jesus Navas (Hamstring), Kevin De Bruyne (Knee), Equilem Mangala (Hamstring), Wilfriend Bony (Calf), Vincent Kompany (Calf), Sami Narsi (Hamstring).

Source: physioroom.com

Who does that leave us with? How are we supposed to pick a side from that? For all the good they’re doing we should probably pick the medical team as they’re clearly not healing anyone! Get Eva in! I never thought I’d say this but I really miss Javi Garcia, the beauty of his heading was second only to the beauty of his wife. In all seriousness, our failure to bring in a centre back in the winter window is borderline criminal and I fail to believe there wasn’t one Premier League calibre centre back available on loan anywhere in the world.

I think we can expect Kolarov to have sufficiently played Clichy back into the team should the Frenchman be fit for Saturday, the natural speed of Spurs probably dictates that needs to be the case. If it was me in charge I’d be tempted to move Sagna inside to centre back and put Zabaleta on the right or even move Zabaleta into the holding midfield position he once rocked so well. Otamendi has been given a load of stick recently but Demechelis is a liability for me. Pellers will stick with Martin and the Otter at the back and it’s a toss-up between Pablo and Sagna for me.

As for midfield, well where is there to start? whose fit? Sterling and Jesus Navas will be our wingers by process of elimination whilst Sergio will be forced to play up top alone. The leaves us with fitting three into two from Delp, Fernandinho and Fernando and who would have thought that Delph would be a keep man in City’s side coming into February? I hope James Milner is enjoying his retirement.

Prediction

Negativity. I don’t mean to be negative people and especially not for negatives sake. I want to be constructive but I do like to roll out the gallows humour from the 90s, we can’t ever lose that. I’m going to close with something really positive and predict City will win. The last nine Barclays Premier League matches between these two sides have seen 41 goals scored. So naturally it will be “backs to the walls” counter attacking stuff as we win 1-0 stuffily and help our Leicester brothers romp to the title.

p.s. do we remove the stars from the thread title when we get the new badge?
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: ***Manchester City v Tottenham Hotspur PREVIEW***

Postby dave watson's perm » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:48 am

Cheers for that Bobby.
dave watson's perm
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Paul Power

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:11 am

Top preview mate as always. However Liverpool are not playing arsenal.

12.00 Arse v Leicester
14.05 Villa v Liverpool
16.15 City v Spuds
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby RodneyRodney » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:53 pm

As for midfield, well where is there to start? whose fit? Sterling and Jesus Navas will be our wingers by process of elimination

Nav is crocked
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Postby RodneyRodney » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:00 pm

They'll belt us off the park, hitting the goal frame at least twice, Joe will make 3 or 4 world cup final saves, the game will be played in our penalty area, they'll be denied the most blatant penalty of the season , and we'll be 0-2 down after 80 mins.
Then we'll score a clearly off side goal, another on 89 minutes via pinball/own goal from one of their defenders, and in the 92nd , Nacho scores a Ricky Villa.
3-2 . Job done. Typical bloody City

3-2 . Something about that scoreline . . . ..
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Postby bobby brows » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:07 pm

I took my injuries from physioroom.com so apologies if incorrect. Bloody Navas...Bloody Beautiful Navas.

The latest is Kompany and Silva are fit whilst Sagna and Delph (achilles) are now injured. source: Simon Bajkowski
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby sheblue » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:09 pm

bobby brows wrote:I took my injuries from physioroom.com so apologies if incorrect. Bloody Navas...Bloody Beautiful Navas.

The latest is Kompany and Silva are fit whilst Sagna and Delph (achilles) are now injured. source: Simon Bajkowski

Kompany is hardly fit to start, thought silva was out for a while...........
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby dave watson's perm » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:24 pm

Acccording to MEN, VK and DS both fit for Spurs but Sagna out for a week and Delph for longer with Achilles problem
dave watson's perm
De Jong's Tackle

Postby CTID Hants » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:46 pm

dave watson's perm wrote:Acccording to MEN, VK and DS both fit for Spurs but Sagna out for a week and Delph for longer with Achilles problem

Yep, taken from the OS...........

There was both good news and bad news for supporters from Manuel Pellegrini’s pre-Spurs press conference.

The Chilean confirmed that Vincent Kompany is ready to return to the team after coming through a behind-closed-doors friendly against City EDS but Fabian Delph has been ruled out for 6-7 weeks with an achilles injury.

Bacary Sagna is another addition to a lengthy injury list for this crucial encounter.

“It’s a long injury list - Sagna, Mangala, Delph, Nasri, Navas, De Bruyne and Bony are out. David Silva is OK,” Pellegrini reported.

“We’ll see what the starting XI is tomorrow - we’re not just thinking about one player and one game, we’re involved in a lot of competitions. Maybe we have a lot of criticism when we don’t play well but I’m happy with the squad over the whole season.

“You’ve seen Kompany play for so many years I don’t have to say what qualities he brings, he’s one of the best defenders in the league.

“Every player must play a game when they’re 100%. Vincent has worked for three weeks with no problems. He played 45 minutes in a friendly game against the under-21s and I think he’s ready to play.

“Bacary had last week a problem in his knee - some liquid in his knee. He needs an injection and one week at least to return to work.

“Delph is worse as he has a problem with his achilles tendon. He needs six or seven weeks to recover.

“It’s difficult with so many injuries in the same position. Unfortunately, that’s part of the season and we must try to manage with the players we have.”

Vincent Kompany

Pellegrini also revealed that it was pleasing to have the opportunity to work for a whole week with the squad in a rare match-less midweek.

He went on to declare Spurs as genuine title contenders and praised the work Maurcio Pochettino has undertaken at White Hart Lane.

Pellegrini stated: “Like I said last week, it’s not a decisive game but a very important game - after we play for another 36 points. For our team, it’s important to try to return to the top of the table. Two or three teams are in front of us in this moment so we must try to reclaim the points.

“Maybe it was an unexpected defeat against Leicester. The last 11 games we lost just one before that against Everton in the first leg of a cup match we went on to win. We were in a good moment but now we must play well against Spurs.

“Spurs a good team, they are involved in the title with 13 games to go.”

Finally, Manuel had his say on the hot topic of the week: ticket prices in the Premier League.

This followed the staged walk-out from supporters at Liverpool’s game against Sunderland last weekend.

He added: “One very important thing for the Premier League is to be concerned with their fans. We play so many games and there’s always full capacity. It’s very dangerous to have high prices. It’s an important thing for the clubs to have a normal price so fans keep coming to the stadium.”
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:47 pm

the ticket site had a BIG SOLD OUT sign on the spurs game, now there are loads of tickets available. They are a shambles that ticket office.
Wonderwall

Postby dave watson's perm » Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:55 pm

Wonderwall wrote:the ticket site had a BIG SOLD OUT sign on the spurs game, now there are loads of tickets available. They are a shambles that ticket office.

Maybe the medical team are now running it
dave watson's perm
De Jong's Tackle

Postby nottsblue » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:59 pm

Great preview. Really enjoyed reading it
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:04 pm

Pellegrini won't play MdM in midfield will he?
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby phips » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:51 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Pellegrini won't play MdM in midfield will he?

can't imagine he would. gotta keep one central defender on the bench with 0% chance of injury to sub in when Kompany gets injured.

im guessing

Hart
Zaba Kompany Otamendi Clichy
Fernando Fernandinho
Silva Yaya Sterling
Aguero
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Wonderwall » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:24 am

I don't want Yaya on the pitch. He doesn't deserve it on form. I would go for a 4 3 1 2

Hart

Zaba kompany Otter Clichy

Fernandinho Fernando sterling

Silva

Aguero Iheanacho
Wonderwall

Postby Bluedj » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:47 am

Good shout WW
Hope he doesn't start Yaya
Bluedj
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: vincent kompany

Postby dave watson's perm » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:50 am

Wonderwall wrote:I don't want Yaya on the pitch. He doesn't deserve it on form. I would go for a 4 3 1 2

Hart

Zaba kompany Otter Clichy

Fernandinho Fernando sterling

Silva

Aguero Iheanacho

This is the team I would like to see but i fear he'll play Toure and have Aguero up front on his own
dave watson's perm
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Bluedj » Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:54 am

Good shout WW
Hope he doesn't start Yaya
Bluedj
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: vincent kompany

Postby gmercer1 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:18 am

Leave Yaya on the bench and bring him on with half an hour to go.
I like that line up WW but would be gobsmacked if the Count went fir it which is a big shame.

I know the last few performances have been shit by most players, but I am sick of watching Yaya just stand and let players run past and make no effort to track them. If I were Fernandinho I'd be seriously pissed off with his effort.
gmercer1
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby Camebro » Sat Feb 13, 2016 3:01 pm

Great review. I think a bit harsh on capoue who has been a revelation for Watford this season.
Camebro
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Current: zabba

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum