Summer Transfer rumours

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Summer Transfer rumours

Postby nottsblue » Mon May 02, 2016 5:20 pm

branny wrote:
bigblue wrote:Apparently we've agreed to buy Aymeric Laporte from Bilbao

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... tic-bilbao

Manchester City have agreed to pay the €50m (£39m) release clause to sign French defender Aymeric Laporte in the summer from Athletic Bilbao, according to reports in Spain.

As revealed by the Guardian last month, City have identified the 21-year-old as their top defensive target for new coach Pep Guardiola despite the centre-half being ruled out until August with a broken leg and dislocated ankle.

40 mill for a 21 year old with a broken leg and dislocated ankle. What could possibly go wrong?

Really hope this is not true. It has fuck up written all over it in big neon letters
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby bigblue » Mon May 02, 2016 5:27 pm

nottsblue wrote:Really hope this is not true. It has fuck up written all over it in big neon letters

Laporte seems to be known as one of the best CB's with a ball at his feet. Fits Pep perfectly.

As long as Denayer is still a big part of the plans I think it's a good idea. My guess is that Demi and Mangeler or Otter are shipped out. Then we'd have Vincent, Otter/Mangeler, Laporte, Denayer. Would be a great mix of youth and experience.

Or ship out Demi and Zabba :( then put Denayer at RB for a bit.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby nottsblue » Mon May 02, 2016 6:33 pm

bigblue wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Really hope this is not true. It has fuck up written all over it in big neon letters

Laporte seems to be known as one of the best CB's with a ball at his feet. Fits Pep perfectly.

As long as Denayer is still a big part of the plans I think it's a good idea. My guess is that Demi and Mangeler or Otter are shipped out. Then we'd have Vincent, Otter/Mangeler, Laporte, Denayer. Would be a great mix of youth and experience.

I could be doing the lad a big dis-service but when I hear the phrase "ball playing centre half" I fear the worst.

I like my centre halves to defend, rough up the opposition forward a bit, be pacy, and chip in with a few goals from set pieces. If I want the ball played out from the back I expect one of my midfielders to drop deep and come and collect a five or possibly a ten yard pass from the said centre back. He then gives it to the fella who sprays the ball about. Ideally any midfielder should be able to do this.

I know the vogue these days is different, but for the life of me I don't know why coaches and managers try to further complicate things
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby freshie » Mon May 02, 2016 6:38 pm

nottsblue wrote:
bigblue wrote:

I could be doing the lad a big dis-service but when I hear the phrase "ball playing centre half" I fear the worst.

I like my centre halves to defend, rough up the opposition forward a bit, be pacy, and chip in with a few goals from set pieces. If I want the ball played out from the back I expect one of my midfielders to drop deep and come and collect a five or possibly a ten yard pass from the said centre back. He then gives it to the fella who sprays the ball about. Ideally any midfielder should be able to do this.

I know the vogue these days is different, but for the life of me I don't know why coaches and managers try to further complicate things

Couldn't agree more
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby bigblue » Mon May 02, 2016 6:40 pm

nottsblue wrote:I know the vogue these days is different, but for the life of me I don't know why coaches and managers try to further complicate things

One reason is the more complicated their tactics seem, the more sophisticated they appear as managers. Easier to add a few extra 0's to their salary during contract negotiations
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Fidel Castro » Mon May 02, 2016 7:21 pm

Laporte broke his angle doing an Otamendi style dive to try cover up one of his fuckups. That alone makes me not want him anywhere near our squad
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby Clowncrete » Mon May 02, 2016 7:32 pm

I am tired of us blowing cash on a centre back every year while we keep pushing Denayer to the sidelines. Why not spend the money on a winger to replace Navas? If we had bought Sanchez instead of Mangala 2 years back, I am pretty sure we would have won the league that year.
Clowncrete
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Super Kev!

Postby Ray78 » Mon May 02, 2016 11:46 pm

Full backs need the most attention rather than buying two new centre backs but none seem to be on our wish list which will mean more defensive problems, even with Guardiola in charge. Denayer might be one solution but he has had his fair share of injury problems and left back is our weakest area.
Ray78
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Erm.......

Postby MARKMAKAVELI » Tue May 03, 2016 6:45 am

Laporte & Stones. Def at least one of them.
MARKMAKAVELI
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Wonderwall » Tue May 03, 2016 9:58 am

freshie wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
bigblue wrote:

Couldn't agree more

Yes me too. Mr Ranieri plays his players in their best position and keeps it simple. Amazing isn't it.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue May 03, 2016 10:15 am

Wonderwall wrote:
freshie wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
bigblue wrote:

Couldn't agree more

Yes me too. Mr Ranieri plays his players in their best position and keeps it simple. Amazing isn't it.

the tinker man hasn't tinkered
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue May 03, 2016 10:21 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:Yes me too. Mr Ranieri plays his players in their best position and keeps it simple. Amazing isn't it.

He might when he has had money to spend next season.

It will be quite interesting to see how they develop over the next twelve months actually. Many of his major players are in their thirties and will need replacing at some point.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby bigblue » Tue May 03, 2016 10:41 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:Yes me too. Mr Ranieri plays his players in their best position and keeps it simple. Amazing isn't it.

It will be quite interesting to see how they develop over the next twelve months actually. Many of his major players are in their thirties and will need replacing at some point.

They also have had the least amount of injuries and no European competition to worry about. All the stars aligned to make an extraordinary season for them.

Unless you have a solid 25 man squad, there'll be a big hangover from winning the league. Big question will be how much does their owner invest now. Leicester shirts must be selling like hot cakes at the moment and the owner was never poor to begin with. Even if they do invest, a bundle of transfers at the same time is very difficult to get right

I'm guessing they finish top half but outside of Europe next year. Not a bold prediction, I know
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue May 03, 2016 11:12 am

bigblue wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:

They also have had the least amount of injuries and no European competition to worry about. All the stars aligned to make an extraordinary season for them.

Unless you have a solid 25 man squad, there'll be a big hangover from winning the league. Big question will be how much does their owner invest now. Leicester shirts must be selling like hot cakes at the moment and the owner was never poor to begin with. Even if they do invest, a bundle of transfers at the same time is very difficult to get right

I'm guessing they finish top half but outside of Europe next year. Not a bold prediction, I know

i'm guessing they'll be closer to relegation. They'll lose their two best players for sure in Kante and Mahrez. And then they are fucked. End of story. This isn't a movie we've never seen before.

Anyway, back to the point about Pep and ball-playing defenders...it's not a "complexity" imho, but a style of play that dictates how you have to be and where you have to be when you have the ball and what you do to win it when you get it. If you're playing like Leicester then a ball-playing CB would be a massively fucked up luxury which would be like a marzipan dildo for a side playing tight at the back and looking to break.

Pep isn't going to stand for hoofing the ball around like i've seen us do way way too much this season, and i frankly cannot fucking wait.

Call these "in vogue" defenders anything you want, but Pep wants people who can play football and not just a massive clogger to win some aerial duels. You've got to have more than that.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby bigblue » Tue May 03, 2016 11:27 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
i'm guessing they'll be closer to relegation. They'll lose their two best players for sure in Kante and Mahrez. And then they are fucked. End of story. This isn't a movie we've never seen before.

Anyway, back to the point about Pep and ball-playing defenders...it's not a "complexity" imho, but a style of play that dictates how you have to be and where you have to be when you have the ball and what you do to win it when you get it. If you're playing like Leicester then a ball-playing CB would be a massively fucked up luxury which would be like a marzipan dildo for a side playing tight at the back and looking to break.

Pep isn't going to stand for hoofing the ball around like i've seen us do way way too much this season, and i frankly cannot fucking wait.

Call these "in vogue" defenders anything you want, but Pep wants people who can play football and not just a massive clogger to win some aerial duels. You've got to have more than that.

cheers

Agree that the game has evolved. Pep and others use possession as a form of defense. After all, if they don't have the ball they can't score.

But I prefer massive cloggers who can play football.

Cheers
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Postby sheblue » Tue May 03, 2016 6:02 pm

We're not about to spunk trillions on a young centre back with a broken leg! That is very risky.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Wooders » Tue May 03, 2016 6:23 pm

Surely pep can do something with what we've already got - look at boateng
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Wooders » Fri May 06, 2016 7:39 am

Lots of rumours about sanchez from the arse - would be a massive upgrade on navas
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby gillie » Fri May 06, 2016 7:59 am

Well our owners fat wallet will have to get a lot slimmer this summer as we need a full fuckin overhaul in playing staff as most will not be good enough for Pep's style of play Wednesday night was proof of that.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Tokyo Blue » Fri May 06, 2016 9:39 am

I wonder if real madrid would sell Varane.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum