IF... and this is a big if...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

IF... and this is a big if...

Postby Tony P » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:40 pm

by some miracle we were to get back into the title race and win it, how do you think it would happen?

The teams around us dropping the ball and us doing enough to eke out results?
Yaya regaining his form? (ho ho ho)
Aguero just scoring more than the opposition and us winning every match 5-4
Kompany coming back and dragging us, Morrison-like, over the line
or, one of the kids coming through and being a revelation: Barker, Celia, Angelino? (Iam Nacho I'm taking as an existing first teamer).
Tony P
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Re: IF... and this is a big if...

Postby Wooders » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:44 pm

2 things - pellegrini plans for opposition instead of grinding the same tactics regardless who we're playing - the 2nd a bit of fight in the team
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:47 pm

It's a funny old game is football. By the way this season has gone, we could even win it by a canter but I do feel we will be in the running come the last few games.

That's only if we really do play the kids in the FA Cup.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby South Stand Balti » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:28 pm

We do have a recent history of a strong finish. We slipped to 4th last season and the scousers were very confident of taking 4th place of us. We took 18 points out of the last 18 and finished 2nd. When our players recover from injury we would need to do the same and hope the other teams remain inconsistent. In reality, I think we are increasingly unlikely to do this. Our great players are older, some did not get a summer break and the recent recruitment of players has been appalling. I hope we have a great Champs League run, but it would make winning the league even more difficult.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:02 pm

Maybe we need a 1990 team tell the manager this needs a change mate.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby sheblue » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:34 pm

Just can't see it. We are in a much worse position than we were in pellegrinis first season. We've savage injuries and those fit are not on it.
We do need a miracle.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:12 am

F365 have a very interesting article at the moment suggesting Leiscter may be better suited to playing the big boys and now they play the lower teams it will be interesting to see.

Either way beating Spurs is our 1st step obviously. If we win the league my gut feeling is it will be because vinny comes back and aguero carries out attack on his back.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:15 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:F365 have a very interesting article at the moment suggesting Leiscter may be better suited to playing the big boys and now they play the lower teams it will be interesting to see.

Either way beating Spurs is our 1st step obviously. If we win the league my gut feeling is it will be because vinny comes back and aguero carries out attack on his back.

F365 are talking bollocks Lesicester's consistency over a whole year has been amazing against everyone.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Grandad Rosler » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:30 am

I think that the injuries we have suffered alongside the shite form of those expected to step up will make it very difficult this year. We've been in worse positions so still hoping that we can do it but I'm not so sure.
Grandad Rosler
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

My favourite player is: Andy Morrison

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:12 pm

Grandad Rosler wrote:I think that the injuries we have suffered alongside the shite form of those expected to step up will make it very difficult this year. We've been in worse positions so still hoping that we can do it but I'm not so sure.

I have the same hope, but it's fading with every game. What I saw on Saturday was a lack of belief in the team. That is very worrying. We really need some sort of result against Spurs.
We need to see that the team still believe it is possible, otherwise say goodbye to the cup also.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby The Maine Man » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:21 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:F365 have a very interesting article at the moment suggesting Leiscter may be better suited to playing the big boys and now they play the lower teams it will be interesting to see.

F365 are talking bollocks Lesicester's consistency over a whole year has been amazing against everyone.

I'm not so sure. I get the point, they have been the form team, but tactically teams who push forward in numbers, especially with full backs are vulnerable to Leicester. Teams who wouldn't have done previously may park the bus which will see them drop some points. No need to get hysterical just yet as some are. We need to improve, but we still have 39 points to play for.
The Maine Man
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Hazy2 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:34 pm

The Maine Man wrote:

I'm not so sure. I get the point, they have been the form team, but tactically teams who push forward in numbers, especially with full backs are vulnerable to Leicester. Teams who wouldn't have done previously may park the bus which will see them drop some points. No need to get hysterical just yet as some are. We need to improve, but we still have 39 points to play for.

Pellers who rolls out the same tactic and gets smashed is the one and only man who can and must adapt to each game, the teams are playing us off for fools who never learn. West Ham and Leicester have scored inside a minute or so. My take is if we get it wrong Kiev kill us inside 45 mins like Barca did. In fact we made the foxes look like a top European side with the dis-regard to counter attack.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:03 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
The Maine Man wrote:

Pellers who rolls out the same tactic and gets smashed is the one and only man who can and must adapt to each game, the teams are playing us off for fools who never learn. West Ham and Leicester have scored inside a minute or so. My take is if we get it wrong Kiev kill us inside 45 mins like Barca did. In fact we made the foxes look like a top European side with the dis-regard to counter attack.

The most bizarre thing about the apparent lack of preparation is that at their place we seemed to execute a well prepared plan to nullify their counter, why we didn't try the same thing again I don't know.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby BlueinBosnia » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:35 pm

Tony P wrote:by some miracle we were to get back into the title race and win it, how do you think it would happen?

First of all, we're still in the title race. In 5 days' time, we could be second, four points behind the leaders, a point ahead of third, and two ahead of fourth. Worst case scenario is that we'll be 4th, 9 points behind the leaders and 4 (plus a significant goal difference) off second place.

I can't see anyone winning the league beside us or Leicester. If it comes down to Week 37, I think it'll be a direct battle between us and Arsenal for 2nd and 3rd, with us needing the win to take it to the final day of the season.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby dave watson's perm » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:46 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
Tony P wrote:by some miracle we were to get back into the title race and win it, how do you think it would happen?

First of all, we're still in the title race. In 5 days' time, we could be second, four points behind the leaders, a point ahead of third, and two ahead of fourth. Worst case scenario is that we'll be 4th, 9 points behind the leaders and 4 (plus a significant goal difference) off second place.

I can't see anyone winning the league beside us or Leicester. If it comes down to Week 37, I think it'll be a direct battle between us and Arsenal for 2nd and 3rd, with us needing the win to take it to the final day of the season.

We have experience from 2012/2014 of stepping up a gear in the home straight and winning a string of games on the bounce but the inconsistency this season (not to mention key injuries) makes me think that it may be a bridge too far for this team now. However, nothing City do surprises me any more so I may yet be pleasantly surprised.

Let the foxes/spuds/arse deal with the pressure and the media fawning whilst we quietly bring up the rear and steal it from under their noses at the 11th hour. It will make it that much more sweeter. Right now though I'd take a top 3 PL place, smash the dippers in CC and worry about CL next season.
dave watson's perm
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Paul Power

Postby bigblue » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:44 pm

Just play our EDS team + Nacho and we'll walk the league.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only

Return to The Maine Football forum