Our Ageing Squad

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Our Ageing Squad

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:41 am

Is it impacting our season?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Re: Our Ageing Squad

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:43 am

Yes when you couple it with our 52 separate injuries.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:46 am

Beefymcfc wrote:Is it impacting our season?

Only one of them is
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby nottsblue » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:58 am

There are many reasons our season is unfolding the way it is. The ageing squad undoubtedly is one of them. Along with injuries, shocking refereeing decisions, poor rotation of the squad, poor tactics on occasions ( one size does not fit all, especially away from home or against swift counter attacking teams ) and players just being out of sorts ( Silva and Yaya spring immediately to mind here ).

I doubt one of these reasons alone is enough to warrant why we are where we are but all of them together paints a different picture
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Wooders » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:46 am

It will be a total rebuild under pep - it's going to be one hell of a summer
We basically need a new back 4 for starters
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby sheblue » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:52 am

They are not all 90!! There can't be a complete overhaul in one summer.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Wooders » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:37 am

sheblue wrote:They are not all 90!! There can't be a complete overhaul in one summer.

Probably won't be over one summer - granted - but I would expect to see at least 7 new players come in

Out this summer - yaya, MDM, kolo, mangala, navas, bony, callebero - as much asit pains me, possibly even Zabba
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby lets all have a disco » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:32 pm

Wooders wrote:
sheblue wrote:They are not all 90!! There can't be a complete overhaul in one summer.

Probably won't be over one summer - granted - but I would expect to see at least 7 new players come in

Out this summer - yaya, MDM, kolo, mangala, navas, bony, callebero - as much asit pains me, possibly even Zabba

Are we gonna sell him for Liverpool?

Zabs has still got plenty to offer us,Silva aswell if used correctly.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:51 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:
Wooders wrote:

We negotiate any and all player moves to China on a global basis. Then take 10%.

#Spafia

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Wooders » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:11 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:
Wooders wrote:

Kolarov dear boy
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:20 pm

Yesterday's team consisted of 6 players who are 30 or over, Demi being the eldest at 35. On top of that we only had 1 player under 25 years of age and only 2 under 27. They are worrying stats and is it any wonder we look leggy against these younger teams; they just run through us.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:43 pm

I doubt there will be a complete rebuild under Pep, he supposedly favours small squads. I can imagine maybe 6 signings, maybe 4 top players, plus some released and promotion of a couple of younger players who he can coach in his 'way'. Celina's energy yesterday was a welcome indication of what could be gained from the academy on a carefully-chosen, match by match basis (but not youth at all costs).
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Dunnylad » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Its not so much an ageing squad, as one where its mentally isn't right - for years we've had one or two players dig us out of the shit & take us to glory. Yaya has done it more often than not, but he is either unwilling or unable to repeat that level of performance.
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Spewed onto the Motorway Shoulder,
I Could Have Been Somebody Special."
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby branny » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:26 pm

Injuries have disrupted us big time and we're not helped by only having 3 strikers. With Aguero's injury record only having 3 seems poor management. I believe we only had 14 players fit yesterday and now Silva is out too. It's not just the nunber but the grouping as well. Our 2 cbs that kept the clean sheets at the start of the season both out at the same time and we're severely screwed in the final third now with Bony, Navas, KDB, Silva and Nasri all out at the same time.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby Hazy2 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:03 pm

Age is a factor, but no excuse for our disregard to the dangers posed by the teams that gave best us, when as we see it so often, you know why Pellers is going, the game is up for the likes of Yaya who it is very sad to see are having to deal with players do what he did at his best, running his marker all over and creating havoc and space, silva not fit, and having very little effect. Injuries are also seeing the likes of Fern 1 flogged, so we need top 4 and let Pep crack on with the next phase.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby sheblue » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:07 pm

Can't see pep coming in and making drastic changes to personel. If he manages to bring two / three top drawer players next summer he will be doing well. It's not possible to destruct and rebuild a squad in one window.
You would have to hope that they are currently working hard to get a central midfielder, two defenders and a striker in.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Hazy2 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:34 pm

sheblue wrote:Can't see pep coming in and making drastic changes to personel. If he manages to bring two / three top drawer players next summer he will be doing well. It's not possible to destruct and rebuild a squad in one window.
You would have to hope that they are currently working hard to get a central midfielder, two defenders and a striker in.

City will have the ducks lined up, players out and in. The Investment from China was a jigsaw piece, for us to take us on again. Pep will have his shopping list and City will be a totally different team next year, faster fitter and a squad flexible to deal with high press, long ball and anything else, Pep is no chancer, we will be awesome.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby failsworthblue » Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:14 pm

Basically the spine of the squad left by Hughes( got lucky) and Mancini (knew what he was doing) needs some major surgery.

We have wasted millions on absolute dross and this will not happen again.

Pep will be ruthless and so he should be , I am sick of players ruling the roost.

Cannot Wait.
failsworthblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:32 pm

I think the shipping of a couple of players and a new manager that is here for the long term will bring more out of this squad. At the moment, something's not ok in the squad and sadly, there's no pause button. The squad is ageing and I tried to point this out a couple of years ago (which is when we should have started doing something about it, not this summer) but what cna you do? We could have avoided the abrupt change of guard that will probably come about in the next two years but we didn't. It is what it is. We're still in a good position though IMO, with several key players in their prime and not past it. Let's say Kompany gets his injuries fixed and Agüero as well, and with Hart in goal coming into his prime.

I'm usually one who will push alarm buttons at the slightest hint of trouble, but I don't think we're doing too shabby. I don't think we can win the league this year but I don't think there's any risk of us ending up outside the top 4. Worst case scenario, our season starts a bit earlier next year with CL qualifiers. Don't get me wrong, I'm disappointed about yesterday as well and am NOT looking forward to Tottenham next Sunday, but... yeah... it's not too bad either. Sorry if that is a non-descript opinion.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby Mase » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:36 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:I think the shipping of a couple of players and a new manager that is here for the long term will bring more out of this squad. At the moment, something's not ok in the squad and sadly, there's no pause button. The squad is ageing and I tried to point this out a couple of years ago (which is when we should have started doing something about it, not this summer) but what cna you do? We could have avoided the abrupt change of guard that will probably come about in the next two years but we didn't. It is what it is. We're still in a good position though IMO, with several key players in their prime and not past it. Let's say Kompany gets his injuries fixed and Agüero as well, and with Hart in goal coming into his prime.

I'm usually one who will push alarm buttons at the slightest hint of trouble, but I don't think we're doing too shabby. I don't think we can win the league this year but I don't think there's any risk of us ending up outside the top 4. Worst case scenario, our season starts a bit earlier next year with CL qualifiers. Don't get me wrong, I'm disappointed about yesterday as well and am NOT looking forward to Tottenham next Sunday, but... yeah... it's not too bad either. Sorry if that is a non-descript opinion.

100% agree. Add to that bringing through a couple of the kids and integrating them in the first team. I don't think we'll need mass changes, just here and there.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum