Race for the Title

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Race for the Title

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:37 pm

It's a funny one that, it's a much more competitive league at the top third of the table than we have seen for a long time, but the performance of our clubs in the CL isn't great for the last few years. So maybe the average level of the league has improved but the level of the 'elite' top four clubs has dropped.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Blue Since 76 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:55 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:It's a funny one that, it's a much more competitive league at the top third of the table than we have seen for a long time, but the performance of our clubs in the CL isn't great for the last few years. So maybe the average level of the league has improved but the level of the 'elite' top four clubs has dropped.

Bit of both, but having 38 really tough games doesn't help as it's difficult to rest anyone before CL games - Pellegrini tries it and we often slip up in the league. The easier challenge in other leagues gives them more opportunity to take it easy.

But that's what makes the PL great, this season even more so. I keep hearing that this season isn't a classic, but what's classic about a season where one team is 15 points clear already - I wouldn't really enjoy that if it was us.

If Leicester and Spurs can actually make the top 4, brilliant. And if we don't win it, I really hope Leicester do, and I suspect a lot of other fans feel the same - partly that's it's better than your closest rival doing it and partly that there's something of the romance of football about it. It also says something to clubs like Everton, Newcastle, Villa etc - if Leicester could win it, why couldn't they, rather than just bumbling along complaining they can't afford to compete.

The only complaint I have got about this season is that a few teams are boring their way to points to avoid losing (rags, anyone). Maybe it's time for a rugby style extra point if you score 3+ goals or 2+ away?
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Blue Since 76 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:56 pm

PS - team who were top at the end of January have won the league in the last 11 seasons. With no more league games until February...
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Tim777 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:01 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:
Hutch's Shoulder wrote:It's a funny one that, it's a much more competitive league at the top third of the table than we have seen for a long time, but the performance of our clubs in the CL isn't great for the last few years. So maybe the average level of the league has improved but the level of the 'elite' top four clubs has dropped.

Bit of both, but having 38 really tough games doesn't help as it's difficult to rest anyone before CL games - Pellegrini tries it and we often slip up in the league. The easier challenge in other leagues gives them more opportunity to take it easy.

But that's what makes the PL great, this season even more so. I keep hearing that this season isn't a classic, but what's classic about a season where one team is 15 points clear already - I wouldn't really enjoy that if it was us.

If Leicester and Spurs can actually make the top 4, brilliant. And if we don't win it, I really hope Leicester do, and I suspect a lot of other fans feel the same - partly that's it's better than your closest rival doing it and partly that there's something of the romance of football about it. It also says something to clubs like Everton, Newcastle, Villa etc - if Leicester could win it, why couldn't they, rather than just bumbling along complaining they can't afford to compete.

The only complaint I have got about this season is that a few teams are boring their way to points to avoid losing (rags, anyone). Maybe it's time for a rugby style extra point if you score 3+ goals or 2+ away?

Flippin' excellent post.
Tim777
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby nottsblue » Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:33 pm

It's between us and the arse. Leicester have done brilliantly but they will fold when the pressure builds and suspensions and injuries take hold. Really hope they get top four and I think they will just about scrape past the rags, though be prepared for some questionable refereeing decisions in the final 15 games.

We have won the thing twice and arsenal haven't for over a decade. Let's see who holds up under pressure when it's squeaky bum time. My money is on us holding it together better than the arse. Of course, we need to be in a position where we are either in front or not too far behind to take advantage.

One thing that could cost us is fixture congestion. A trip to Kiev will sap the energy and if as expected we progress, that's another couple of games at least to factor in. Still, you'd rather be in it to win it rather than be out of it otherwise what's the fucking point.

I predict a PL title with a cup final thrown in, probably the LC against the dippers. Another double beckons
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby plf blue » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:10 pm

leicester,s next 3 games are home to the dippers then away to us and the arse. plus last game is chelsea away .think they will crack
plf blue
Danny Mills' Wages

My favourite player is: tommy booth

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:13 pm

I think they'll crack too, but they did deapatch Stoke with ease and winning at Spurs was quite a result.
To finish top four I would have thought another 20-22 points will be enough to stay above the shite. They would then nine or ten wins from their last 15 games. That looks unlikely.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby PrezIke » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:13 pm

Bottom and mid table Prem teams are certainly better, not all just parking the bus, and top clubs not all that, but we still have the best squad and should do better than we have despite the injuries.

Yet, our defence has been suspect all season for various reasons, and our attack not as potent, or consistent as we have seen in the past, or what it seems capable of currently.

I think the manager situation, the Vinny situation and the Yaya situation this season are affecting things as well, as these are the leaders of the team. We seem most capable, as it seems we haven't gotten out of 2nd or 3rd gear yet, where as Arsenal have had their ups and downs, but with that they've arguably played similarly as they have in the past, it's just now we haven't been as good as we have shown to be.

It's bothersome, but we have to sort it out. Another transition season, but it's one where we really should be winning the league anyway. If Kun stays fit I think we have an excellent chance. We also have more experience than any of the teams fighting it out, and that counts as well in the run in.

Utd might be "lucky" to even make the Europa League if you ask me, unless something magically changes.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby plf blue » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:20 pm

PrezIke wrote:Bottom and mid table Prem teams are certainly better, not all just parking the bus, and top clubs not all that, but we still have the best squad and should do better than we have despite the injuries.

Yet, our defence has been suspect all season for various reasons, and our attack not as potent, or consistent as we have seen in the past, or what it seems capable of currently.

I think the manager situation, the Vinny situation and the Yaya situation this season are affecting things as well, as these are the leaders of the team. We seem most capable, as it seems we haven't gotten out of 2nd or 3rd gear yet, where as Arsenal have had their ups and downs, but with that they've arguably played similarly as they have in the past, it's just now we haven't been as good as we have shown to be.

It's bothersome, but we have to sort it out. Another transition season, but it's one where we really should be winning the league anyway. If Kun stays fit I think we have an excellent chance. We also have more experience than any of the teams fighting it out, and that counts as well in the run in.

Utd might be "lucky" to even make the Europa League if you ask me, unless something magically changes.

would really love the rags to have to qualify in july or whenever it is for the europa league
plf blue
Danny Mills' Wages

My favourite player is: tommy booth

Postby Moonchesteri » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:03 pm

Wonderwall wrote:Leicester are 3 point clear at the top. They keep getting the results and I think they might actually have the best chance of the top 4 to win it!
We are in 4 competitions still
Arsenal and Spurs are still in Europe and the FA cup.
Leicester have 15 league games to concentrate on, no distractions and plenty of rest between games.

I thought it would be too much for them, however, I am stating to think they are in the best shape to go and do it, especially if they are lucky with Injuries and Drinkwater, Okazaki, Vardy and Mahrez stay fit.

Time to dig this thread up.

Leicester Five points clear, 6 points off us. The points above still stand, only that Leicester have less games.

So we have Leicester and Spurs who don't have the experience. We have arse who are famous of crumbling at some stage of the season. and we have us who play like shit and look absolutely knackered.

Seriously, I do not know who I should bet for the title. and it is killing me that our way of playing (everyone looks disinterested, our play is slow and predictable and every single team outworks us) doesn't let me enjoy this title race! twats.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Bear60 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:06 pm

nottsblue wrote:It's between us and the arse. Leicester have done brilliantly but they will fold when the pressure builds and suspensions and injuries take hold. Really hope they get top four and I think they will just about scrape past the rags, though be prepared for some questionable refereeing decisions in the final 15 games.

We have won the thing twice and arsenal haven't for over a decade. Let's see who holds up under pressure when it's squeaky bum time. My money is on us holding it together better than the arse. Of course, we need to be in a position where we are either in front or not too far behind to take advantage.

One thing that could cost us is fixture congestion. A trip to Kiev will sap the energy and if as expected we progress, that's another couple of games at least to factor in. Still, you'd rather be in it to win it rather than be out of it otherwise what's the fucking point.

I predict a PL title with a cup final thrown in, probably the LC against the dippers. Another double beckons

We were the ones who folded today well done Leicester
Bear60
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:13 pm

it's a fucking egg and spoon race
embarrassing for the league that the top 2 teams went head to head today and served up that shower of shit
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby blues2win » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:15 pm

At the moment I'd back Spurs. We'll learn a lot next week but we cannot win anything with our awful defence. And now we've lost de Bruyne, Silva and Navas we look short up front too.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Ray78 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:36 pm

Leicester has a huge advantage of being out of both domestic cups and not playing in any European competition and currently have the momentum and confidence especially from taking the three points off both us and the Scousers and have a good shout against Arsenal. The downside to their title challenge is although Ranieiri has been involved in a title race at the 'bigger clubs' he has managed he hasn't won a League throughout his managerial career. Spurs are in form but are still in the FA Cup and the Europa League and don't have the cover for Kane.
Last edited by Ray78 on Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ray78
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Erm.......

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:36 pm

Wonderwall wrote:Leicester are 3 point clear at the top. They keep getting the results and I think they might actually have the best chance of the top 4 to win it!
Leicester have 15 league games to concentrate on, no distractions and plenty of rest between games.

I thought it would be too much for them, however, I am stating to think they are in the best shape to go and do it, especially if they are lucky with Injuries and Drinkwater, Okazaki, Vardy and Mahrez stay fit.

I remember a certain club who win it in April being in the exact same position.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Wonderwall » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:37 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:

Me too beefy. But this team are better
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Moonchesteri » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:41 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

Me too beefy. But this team are better

I know two teams which had won the title in April. which of them are you talking about?
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:50 pm

I still think that if we can reduce the deficit to 3 or less points by the end of March we would do it; the big problem for us though is the depletion of our squad through injury and the number of games coming up. When we won the title in 2014 we put together a run after going out of the FA Cup and CL in Feb/March; this time I suspect we will go at least a round further in the CL so that could cost us.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby nottsblue » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:03 pm

Worth a few quid on spuds I think. Can easily see them turning us over next week
nottsblue

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sat Feb 06, 2016 11:05 pm

Weakest league I can remember and our fucking manager hasn't got a clue.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum