English/British managers

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: English/British managers

Postby MilnersJaw » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:52 pm

pardew for england!
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silver

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:39 pm

Right, I'm genuinely curious. What should Eddie Howe's next move be?
Stay at Bournemuff until inevitably it ends in relegation?
Take a job like Swansea, or Villa, where again the odds are stacked against him being a long term success?
This guy has performed a footballing miracle, defied convention and the odds. Playing great football too. There is every reason to think given great players and the support of a club set up like ours, he would be just fine and dandy.
If nobody gives him a gig, how will we ever know?
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:40 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:Right, I'm genuinely curious. What should Eddie Howe's next move be?
Take a job like Swansea, or Villa, where again the odds are stacked against him being a long term success?
This guy has performed a footballing miracle, defied convention and the odds. Playing great football too. There is every reason to think given great players and the support of a club set up like ours, he would be just fine and dandy.

I like him too, but he should be given a chance to cut his teeth at someone between Us and Bournemouth before giving him a chance to manage in the Champions league etc. He is a very classy manager, handles himself very well and comes across very bright.

EDIT... I notice you put Swansea and Villa, chances are he might finish above them this season and they are in danger of being in the championship :-)
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby PeterParker » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:09 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:Right, I'm genuinely curious. What should Eddie Howe's next move be?

Will you give him a season at our team?

I would.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Alioune DVToure » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:14 pm

PeterParker wrote:

I would.

No.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby Lev Bronstein » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:20 pm

Didn't he go to Burnley, and then went back to Bournemouth because of home sickness?
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Plain Speaking » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:20 pm

PeterParker wrote:

I would.

I like him, I think he's got good qualities. He's proved himself more as a successful manager than PV so far.
Maybe sometime after Pep?
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:01 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

I like him too, but he should be given a chance to cut his teeth at someone between Us and Bournemouth before giving him a chance to manage in the Champions league etc. He is a very classy manager, handles himself very well and comes across very bright.

EDIT... I notice you put Swansea and Villa, chances are he might finish above them this season and they are in danger of being in the championship :-)

I picked him as an example of good Young British manager.
I picked those teams as bigger clubs where jobs are a possibility for him.
Just thinking aloud, what if Chelsea decided to take a chance on him? Do you think he would do well or bomb horribly.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:17 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Just thinking aloud, what if Chelsea decided to take a chance on him? Do you think he would do well or bomb horribly.

He is a very young manager, I think he has the temperament to do very well and I hope he does. I think a spurs or Everton might be next. You could have said the same about Martinez and Rodgers who have done well at Swansea before changing clubs and not going onto the next level
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:24 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

He is a very young manager, I think he has the temperament to do very well and I hope he does. I think a spurs or Everton might be next. You could have said the same about Martinez and Rodgers who have done well at Swansea before changing clubs and not going onto the next level

This is one of my points. Unless you get to a club who have financial clout, you aren't going to win honours.
What does success look like at Spurs or Everton? Cracking the top four? Winning a domestic cup? Getting to the final of the Europa?
I'd suggest these sort of clubs are more likely to kill their progress rather than enhance it.
Spurs has been a graveyard, for British and foreign managers, in the main.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:53 am

Fidel Castro wrote:They are shit. Just like the players, who are probably shit cos from an early age they receive shit coaching from shit coaches telling them to lump the ball to the shit, big kid on shit pitches

but that's not what happens anymore, right? That doesn't even happen in the States at any real football academy of which every major metro has at least one. We do still stress too much about athleticism, and politics of parents, and it costs too much, etc...but the "playing football on the ground/one touch pass and move" stuff is standard fare for the most part.

There must be some 25-30 year olds who given a chance in 10 years could be amazing managers. Has to be true.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:58 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
Fidel Castro wrote:They are shit. Just like the players, who are probably shit cos from an early age they receive shit coaching from shit coaches telling them to lump the ball to the shit, big kid on shit pitches

but that's not what happens anymore, right? That doesn't even happen in the States at any real football academy of which every major metro has at least one. We do still stress too much about athleticism, and politics of parents, and it costs too much, etc...but the "playing football on the ground/one touch pass and move" stuff is standard fare for the most part.

There must be some 25-30 year olds who given a chance in 10 years could be amazing managers. Has to be true.

cheers

Unfortunately it does. You go watch any kids age group game on a weekend in the parks in the uk, and you'll see that the fellers managing the team's simply want their kids to be on the winning side, they don't give a fuck about coaching their kids the technical skills.

Taking it up a level, remember that we see Doug and Twosips for example reporting that Uniteds EDS is based on size and power, so having flashy facilities and all that, doesn't mean that kids are being taught right. City are a very very rare exception. City are one of 90 odd professional clubs who have some kind of youth setup. The priority for most of them youth setups, is to find kids who will fit into pro football as quickly as possible - in the lower leagues that means that at 17/18 you have to physically stand out to fit in with adults. The overwhelming majority of clubs haven't got the time or money to nurture the weedy little kid who might one day be a David silva

British managers develop their own football philosophy from their own experiences, and most have had to do their time as a coach and manager in the lower leagues, by which time their views on coaching are set. I wouldn't hire an English coach. Ever
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum