Incompetence, Corruption or Just Bias?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Incompetence or Corruption

Incompetence
34%
Corruption
21%
Anti-City bias
45%

Total votes : 73

Incompetence, Corruption or Just Bias?

Postby john@staustell » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:02 am

Stonewall penalty, no doubt. Alan Brazil and even the City-hating Ray Wilkins have confirmed the neutral view - stonewall penalty. Even Manuel Pellegrini was moved to comment, which is unheard of. Coming on the back of the Navas incident at Goodison it is hard to take. But the boys did put in the effort, they did attack constantly and we can only go and stuff Palace in revenge, still only 3 points adrift of the top.

So - there are only 3 possible explanations. Incompetence, corruption or inherent anti-city bias in some referees. Thoughts?
Last edited by john@staustell on Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Re: Incompetence, Corruption or Just Bias?

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:06 am

I'm torn between incompetence and bias.

Don't forget the Aguero incident at Leicester either, not as blatant as last night but that's another potential two points down the drain because of a big call not going our way.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:18 am

the refs aren't cheats, they are just shit
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby The Maine Man » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:22 am

I'm too sceptical, I think it's part of a formal arrangement to maintain the status quo for 'interested parties'. I can't believe a league as rich as ours doesn't try to control the outcome. I think we win in spite of this which makes it sweeter. Imagine being in a level playing field.
The Maine Man
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby shortagain » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:33 am

Think he is the classic PL referee. Basically average.

Made mistakes both ways, missed Toure foul a yard outside box, gave a corner, didn't book Barry for shirt pulling or Besic for numerous fouls, then our penalty shouts. He's not alone, the standard of refs is the worst it's ever been. Said it before, we bring in foreign players & managers because they are the best, yet we carry on with poor standard of referee's. Oh & lets not forget the 4th officials, they're not that good either.

Why don't they ever suffer the consequences of their errors or are the assessors just as bad as them?
shortagain
Darius Vassell's Composure

My favourite player is: Pablo Zabaleta

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:38 am

shortagain wrote:Think he is the classic PL referee. Basically average.

Made mistakes both ways, missed Toure foul a yard outside box, gave a corner, didn't book Barry for shirt pulling or Besic for numerous fouls, then our penalty shouts. He's not alone, the standard of refs is the worst it's ever been. Said it before, we bring in foreign players & managers because they are the best, yet we carry on with poor standard of referee's. Oh & lets not forget the 4th officials, they're not that good either.

Why don't they ever suffer the consequences of their errors or are the assessors just as bad as them?

I was sure he played an advantage on the Toure foul as it led to Lukaku having a clear sighter on goal just like he played advantage for Aguero when Mori was dragging him back by both shoulders in the penalty area moments before but managed to wriggle free and get a shot away.

The one that I thought was in our favour was Otamendi going through someone ( can't remember who ) as they went for a header, could've been yellow. The Barry one was ridiculous, as blatant a pull back as you'll see when we were in a good attacking position, I wouldn't mind but Barry could've been booked for a blatant hand ball which stopped our counter early doors, we got a throw in.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby bayblue » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:08 am

Incompetence/rub of the green.

Cock up rather than conspiracy.
bayblue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:13 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:

I was sure he played an advantage on the Toure foul as it led to Lukaku having a clear sighter on goal just like he played advantage for Aguero when Mori was dragging him back by both shoulders in the penalty area moments before but managed to wriggle free and get a shot away.

The one that I thought was in our favour was Otamendi going through someone ( can't remember who ) as they went for a header, could've been yellow. The Barry one was ridiculous, as blatant a pull back as you'll see when we were in a good attacking position, I wouldn't mind but Barry could've been booked for a blatant hand ball which stopped our counter early doors, we got a throw in.

I kind of go along with this. I think we see totally incompetent refereeing week in week out, not just in our games. I'm loathe to think it's orchestrated corruption on a grand scale, although I accept the argument of 'why not?'.
I just think on the balance of things the anti-City bias that is all permeating comes to the surface in games and is having a negative affect on results.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby dazby » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:18 am

I think it's just incompetence. Sterling of course has a reputation as a diver so he was scared to give it.

If he didn't go down so softly on the other occasions we may have got the call.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:19 am

On the Toure foul, he didn't signal he was playing advantage for Lukaku, but he was challenged about it by a couple of Everton players and he looked like he was explaining to them that he played advantage. Basically he realised he fucked up and tried to get away with it.

Robert Madley is the worst ref closely followed by that twat Roger East.

On the actual topic of incompetence, corruption or bias, I would say that all 3 are happening. Most of the refs are incompetent, most are biased either by their support of a team or experiences they have had during their career. The corruption one will come out one day, it happens too often to be sheer coincidence.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby dazby » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:20 am

And if the crowd had of hung around for the full game they might have been able to put more pressure on the ref.

Ees important
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:31 am

dazby wrote:I think it's just incompetence. Sterling of course has a reputation as a diver so he was scared to give it.

Did he have that rep at Liverpool? Genuine question.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:19 am

The Maine Man wrote:I'm too sceptical, I think it's part of a formal arrangement to maintain the status quo for 'interested parties'. I can't believe a league as rich as ours doesn't try to control the outcome. I think we win in spite of this which makes it sweeter. Imagine being in a level playing field.

Absolutely this. There are vested interests involved. They get their orders.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby dazby » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:23 am

dazby wrote:I think it's just incompetence. Sterling of course has a reputation as a diver so he was scared to give it.

Did he have that rep at Liverpool? Genuine question.

I also think the way the club is portrayed means that we get no favours either. Yes, the media affects the decisions of the referees.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Postby Mase » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:32 am

How can it be 'incompetence' when some of these appeals are that obvious that the only explanation is cheating.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Plain Speaking » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:36 am

Even on the Everton forums most admit it should have been a penalty.

I agree with Wonderwall it's not restricted to one category. All 3 exist.

Official's will not receive widespread condemnation from the football community for not awarding a penalty to us, because most in football want to see us fail. It's too easy for them to ignore it.

I would like the club to speak to the head of the officials, and discuss the frequency of blatant match changing decisions, not given.

Hopefully the corruption in English football will be investigated sometime soon, but I'm not holding my breath.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Original Dub » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:20 pm

If it was incompetence, then we would be getting at least an almost even share of the spoils.

Here's a genuine question for you all - when was the last time we gained points because a referee handed them to us?
Original Dub

Postby City64 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:22 pm

dazby wrote:And if the crowd had of hung around for the full game they might have been able to put more pressure on the ref.

Ees important

We made more noise than you did , who the fuck can hear you in Australia ffs . Yet another stupid comment ! Don't know whether your taking the piss or just totally fucking dumb ? Oh and worst traffic chaos Manchester has ever seen last night , total gridlock !!!! everyone eventually turned up though but then got horrendously delayed getting home aswell !!! Plank !!!
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:31 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:
The Maine Man wrote:I'm too sceptical, I think it's part of a formal arrangement to maintain the status quo for 'interested parties'. I can't believe a league as rich as ours doesn't try to control the outcome. I think we win in spite of this which makes it sweeter. Imagine being in a level playing field.

Absolutely this. There are vested interests involved. They get their orders.

They don't get 'orders', it's far more sinister than that.

What does happen, and what has been confirmed by referee after referee in recent years, is the way their careers are managed allows the person or persons in control of PGMOL to manipulate outcomes by the award or removal of certain games/appointments which can have a massive impact on the individuals' career.

In any walk of life you come to learn that there are two sets of rules of conduct which impacts your livelihood. The first set of rules are those which are explicit which are learned by education and coaching and are the same for everyone - you don't have a choice about following these rules. The second set of rules are those which are never spoken, but rather implied by the actions of senior leaders - eg, you see that if people around you perform or behave in a certain way, they are rewarded - then you are likely to ultimately fall in line with that to advance your own career. Simple human nature.

The trick is pretty much the oldest one in the organizational psychology book, and what one must remember is that the referees are victims in the manipulation by forces much further up the food chain.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:04 pm

Plain Speaking wrote:Even on the Everton forums most admit it should have been a penalty.

I agree with Wonderwall it's not restricted to one category. All 3 exist.

Official's will not receive widespread condemnation from the football community for not awarding a penalty to us, because most in football want to see us fail. It's too easy for them to ignore it.

I would like the club to speak to the head of the officials, and discuss the frequency of blatant match changing decisions, not given.

Hopefully the corruption in English football will be investigated sometime soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

I think this is the nub of it and coupled with Sparticus's view of it above, I think this is why it points to the overall perception of City that is put out there, the bias as such, being accepted as ok. this bias is driven by an agenda of those that have vested interests.
It permeates down to the playing field and whether it's a referee's livelihood at stake or other factors, it is having an effect on decisions and results. The bias in the media and the audience deems this as acceptable and puts their own spin on why, which keeps the whole agenda rolling.
To say it's direct referee corruption on a grand scale is less likely in my opinion.
The whole thing is no less sinister, though. It indicates to me that football is no more than a business and is not a sport at professional level and until our crowd win at administration and boardroom level and start to have control at media level, then we are not going to see a change.
Change is in the air though. Look at FIFA and UEFA. Who's next the FA?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum