The newbies

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

The newbies

Postby Green & Blue » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:22 am

Just posting on the Kevin Brown thread an the thought crossed my mind that he's not the only summer transfer that's going down well.

Have we finally had another decent transfer window? I'm certainly starting to think so

Otamendi raised a few eyebrows early days but his no nonsense take no prisoners approach to defending is a welcome addition to the team, it's a while since we had that in our ranks.I have high hopes he will continue to form a good understanding with Kompany.As an added bonus although no giant he's a serious threat in the air from set pieces.

Fabian Delph can he finally dispel the media myth that Manchester City is a graveyard for young English talent? Who knows? But the signs are promising, in the little football he's played he's provided real energy and drive to the side.In the long term I don't think we will miss Milner much with Delph here and for once we got some serious value in the transfer market.

We all know Sterling divided opinion in the media but on the pitch this guy has so much pace, it's not that players don't know how to handle him they physically can't manage his pace.I really enjoy watching him play.If you consider his age and his current ability if he's managed correctly he will go right to the top.His transfer fee might have seemed hefty but I really believe he has the ability to repay City's faith in him.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: The newbies

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:42 am

This is a very positive thread G&B, good to see,

The signs are promising, Otamendi seems to have settled a lot quicker than our recent purchases at centre back, he can be a bit erratic but you've got to love his aggression, like you say it's been a while since we've had that in the team. 3 years and 3 months to be exact.

The Brown is just a class act, he does lose possession a bit but that is because he takes risks, risks are good, he who dares Rodney!

I agree about Sterling too, he can be frustrating but he's exciting, it's a welcome addition given how tedious and predictable our football was at times last season.

And Fab has been fab, I was sceptical about this signing but I've liked his start ( although late ), very assured performances so far, delighted for him getting his goal on his full debut.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby bigblue » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:56 am

Delph has just as much energy as Milner and about the same charisma, but a more exciting edge to his game. Otter likes to play a high risk game with some crunching tackles but can also be found out on balls in the air. Sterling has shown promise and just needs to add the last 10% to his game. Like they pointed out on MOTD, he should look to just shift the ball and shoot, too much tiddle taddle around the box.

But overall, we are a team in transition. And we've begun the transition at the right time. 4-5 years before our spine get old, enough time to have new talent bed in. I have no doubt that Sterling, Delph and others will step up their game over the next few years. Both of their attitudes is top notch and we'll see consistently great performances sooner rather than never.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:30 am

Great thread. Re sterling I'd say if he cuts out his sloppiness he's a star. No doübt in my mind.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby nottsblue » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:50 am

Superb window for my money. Next year when the new TV deal kicks we will see a surge in transfer fees. £44m for Sterling will then be seen as even better value as someone like Barkley would be in excess of that. A Berahino will be £30m or thereabouts. And KDB will be a superstar in the coming years. Add in Delph at a bargain £8m and the Otter and we have done the business we required.

Very rarely will all signings fit into the squad and team seamlessly, especially young players and those coming in from abroad. Thus for my money, they have exceeded my expectation, especially KDB.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Original Dub » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:53 am

I'm surprised that rag moron TGR (the great rag) hasn't joined in this thread yet.

Excellent window and hats off to manager and DOF .

Imagine being a rag right now?
Ugh
Original Dub

Postby Slim » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:42 pm

Delph looks good but very early days yet, Otamendi and De Bruyne are class. Sterling is going to be huge for us, he's not quite there yet but I truly believe we have one hell of a player in him.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:20 pm

Not disappointed with any of them.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Mase » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:33 pm

Slim wrote:Delph looks good but very early days yet, Otamendi and De Bruyne are class. Sterling is going to be huge for us, he's not quite there yet but I truly believe we have one hell of a player in him.

After Otamendi's first few games I was sure we'd bought a tattooed Richard Dunne. I'm glad to say now he's settled he's absolute quality! Glad the rags didn't get him!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby sheblue » Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:01 pm

It was the belief among most in the summer that it was a good window, nothing has changed. Yes they have all done well, might like to see more of roberts with the first team now and again.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:34 pm

Also want to add Otamendi's passing ability. Don't know how Pellegrini will work with that but it does seem that the Otter could start the build up from his position as long as there is movement around him from the midfield and as long as he doesn't have to play next to MDM. His pass to KDB (I think) against West Ham was sublime.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:37 pm

I always knew otamendi was going to be class.

Delph and de bruyne though, I was scathing about their signings, so fucking glad to be have been proved wrong though. Got me a big slice of humble cunt pie.

I still think sterling will be the bollocks. I mean like world class bollocks. Balon dor bollocks.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Slim » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:00 pm

KinkyKinkladze wrote:I always knew otamendi was going to be class.

Delph and de bruyne though, I was scathing about their signings, so fucking glad to be have been proved wrong though. Got me a big slice of humble cunt pie.

I still think sterling will be the bollocks. I mean like world class bollocks. Balon dor bollocks.

20th next week, get that man a cake!
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby PeterParker » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:06 pm

Can we add Fernando here too? He looks like a new player.

Solid, confident.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:19 pm

Some great signings.

Get ready, get set ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Mike J » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:59 am

Ive always loved players that get stuck in so Otamendi and Delph are golden. The former (obviosuly not as good) reminds me of cannavaro. Obviously both are not tall but its the way they play. Both good in the air, hard as nails and ball playing defenders. I love Delphs energy, he's surely forced his way in to the team now.

KDB is just fucking class. It wont be long before we are talking about one of the very best players in the world soon, if we already arent.

Sterling - Hes still not there yet but its easy to forget he is only just about to turn 21. He has an unreal amount of potential. Wish he could use his left foot though!
Mike J

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:01 am

Slim wrote:

2015 - 1994 = 21
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Slim » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:02 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Slim wrote:

2015 - 1994 = 21

That fucking commentator last night, what a cunt.

Telling me he turns 20 next week. Also kept telling me Cameron Humphries was being subbed on, then went on about the new lad...corrected himself a good minute later.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:28 am

Slim wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Slim wrote:

2015 - 1994 = 21

That fucking commentator last night, what a cunt.

Telling me he turns 20 next week. Also kept telling me Cameron Humphries was being subbed on, then went on about the new lad...corrected himself a good minute later.

And he was calling him Cameron Matthews.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:29 pm

This will be another class like the one of what 2010 with silva Yaya and kolarov.

Delph is looking like he can spell Yaya for the rest he needs and not let us lose a step and perhaps even gain some in the right formation.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum