Bernard Halford

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Bernard Halford

Postby shortagain » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:11 am

Does anyone know what his role now is ? Always seems to be with the team on the coach, plane, hotels etc. I know he used to be club secretary, but thought he retired many years ago
shortagain
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Pablo Zabaleta

Re: Bernard Halford

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:21 am

From the horse's mouth:

“To a large degree the role of life president is ambassadorial role, but I have retained certain duties which a lot of people who become presidents do not. There are a number of things I still do because of the length of time I have been here, for example I still look after the team, travel with them home and away, do the tickets, do the team-sheet for the manager, complete the reports for the Premier League, as well as doing the same with Patrick Vieira and the Under 21’s when I am available. So my position is quite unusual because I am like a working life president, not just a figure-head"
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Alioune DVToure » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:25 am

I was at his retirement do a few years ago, a sportsman's dinner with a stand-up act during the day. A sportsman's lunch, I suppose. It was in either November or December because I remember drinking at the Christmas Market before and afterwards. My best guess would be 2009.

Sounds like a great semi-retirement!
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:26 am

He is there as the old City head i doubt he does that much anymore (despite the above quote) and rightly so,the guy is a legend and can do what he wants as life president.

He is City through and through.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby john@staustell » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:08 pm

Ring's the other club's man to make sure we have directions to their gaff and the KO time is correct.

Gets the oranges for half time.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:29 pm

He seems to have a special interest in tartan scarves and hats - there's a story to this but I can't remember what is sadly.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby kinsey » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:50 pm

When I saw the thread title, I had an awful feeling for a moment or two...

This then got me thinking about something that has become a bit of an irritant for me over the last few seasons. Unfortunately, I fear that this will bring a lot of criticism and it is in no way meant disrespectfully to anyone, but it seems that there is a minutes silence / applause either before or during every game nowadays.

Some of the connections are not especially strong and the beneficiaries (?!) of these gestures are not known by 99% of the crowd.

For me, this honour should be reserved for people who have earned it in a city capacity. I feel that the ubiquitous nature of this honour has cheapened it and also, it is shallow, indulgent sentimentality in the worst traditions of our cousins at the other end of the East Lancs.
kinsey
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Socrates » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:29 am

kinsey wrote:When I saw the thread title, I had an awful feeling for a moment or two...

This then got me thinking about something that has become a bit of an irritant for me over the last few seasons. Unfortunately, I fear that this will bring a lot of criticism and it is in no way meant disrespectfully to anyone, but it seems that there is a minutes silence / applause either before or during every game nowadays.

Some of the connections are not especially strong and the beneficiaries (?!) of these gestures are not known by 99% of the crowd.

For me, this honour should be reserved for people who have earned it in a city capacity. I feel that the ubiquitous nature of this honour has cheapened it and also, it is shallow, indulgent sentimentality in the worst traditions of our cousins at the other end of the East Lancs.

I just had a minute's silence for you. Hope that helps.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Return to The Maine Football forum