Devante Cole in "Manchester City don't care" whine

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Devante Cole in "Manchester City don't care" whine

Postby Blackadder » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:16 am

In the MAIL, so no link, just the text.

Devante Cole won’t forget the first conversation he had with his manager at Manchester City, Manuel Pellegrini.
Excited to be called into the squad for the club’s pre-season tour of South Africa in 2013, the son of Manchester United and England forward Andy Cole quickly had the wind taken out of his sails by the Chilean.
‘His first words were: “Are you sure you want to come?”’ recalled Devante, who chose to leave City in the summer after what he considered unfair treatment of the club’s English players. ‘I told him I did, and then he said, “It’s OK if you don’t”. We then stood looking at each other.’

While Pellegrini was possibly setting a test for the young striker, the abrupt exchange came to symbolise the frustration Cole felt over the way things changed for homegrown players at City after the Abu Dhabi takeover in 2008. He’d been with the club from the age of seven.
‘I had a choice, them or United. I picked City because I enjoyed it more and it was the best place for youngsters,’ he said. ‘They’d brought through players like Micah Richards and Shaun Wright-Phillips.
‘Then they got their money and everything changed straight away. They started buying foreign boys for the academy and all the English lads got pushed to one side. As you got older, you realised you wouldn’t get a chance of progressing no matter what you did.
‘Some players were picked regardless of form because they’d had millions of pounds spent on them. It wasn’t fair on the ones who’d come through the ranks.’

While Jose Pozo and Marcos Lopes got first-team chances, Cole and fellow long-time academy player Jordy Hiwula left the Etihad without making any competitive appearances. Striker Cole, now 20, is scoring goals at League One Bradford City as he seeks a return to the Premier League.Hiwula is at Huddersfield in the Championship.
‘I played for the first team in South Africa but when I came back, I wasn’t in and around it,’ Devante says. ‘The foreign players were always pushed first and if you’d seen us all train, you wouldn’t see a difference in ability.
‘It is very cliquey at City. The manager has that connection with some players, Hispanic-like. I still have my friends there and they tell me this, and obviously when I was there I saw it as well. They’d speak Spanish on the training pitch.’
Those who remember Cole Snr, whose record of 187 Premier League goals is equal to Wayne Rooney’s and second only to Alan Shearer’s 260, will know he was not afraid to speak his mind. In that respect, Devante is a chip off the old block, and fell out with key figures at City after believing he was the victim of injustice.
‘I am a mixture of my parents,’ he explains. ‘My mum Shirley is my social side, the first one to have a laugh and mess around. Like my dad, I can switch off to people if I lose faith in them. I had the chance to join Southampton at 16 and in hindsight I regret it because their youngsters, like James Ward-Prowse and Luke Shaw, are given an opportunity.

‘Last Christmas I turned down a contract offer at City and told them I wanted to leave in the summer. That’s when it all got a bit difficult and they tried to sell me behind my back for a fee.
‘Brentford were in and that interested me as a loan because I’d met and liked their manager, Mark Warburton. On the day I was going, I was told the clubs had agreed a fee at the end of the season, so I wouldn’t have had any choice even if other clubs came in later. That was when I understood I was in the real world of football. I was upset about it, annoyed, frustrated.’

In the end, Cole chose to join MK Dons on loan, helped them win promotion to the Championship, and then signed for Bradford in the summer on a two-year contract. He scored his fifth goal of the season in a 1-0 victory at Doncaster 10 days ago.
He still lives at his family home in Cheshire and the relationship with dad has become even closer following his career upheaval.
‘I didn’t listen to him as much as I should have. The last six months, it has hit home what he says,’ says Devante. ‘He has been in my position. When he was 20, he had to leave Arsenal for Bristol City. Two years later, he was back in the Premier League with Newcastle and that has really stuck with me. This is the time when you realise where your hunger comes from and I think I can get back as well. City shouldn’t have let Daniel Sturridge go, he was a forward who liked to attack and take people on, something I admire and try to put into my own game. I want to prove City were wrong about me as well.’

The strong-willed Cole genes are clearly there. Andy fell out with various managers, including Graeme Souness at Blackburn, but he got on famously with Sir Alex Ferguson and he’s still close friends with United’s Class of ’92. Devante has also spoken his mind, even to the legendary Patrick Vieira, coach of City’s development side.
‘Vieira did a lot of good for me. At the same time, we clashed a lot,’ he admits. ‘It was our personalities. He doesn’t like people who answer back and say what they believe. I will be open and say, “I don’t agree with you”.
‘But I think our differences probably helped me do well, I wanted to show him.’

Shortly after he turned four, his father was part of Manchester United’s 1999 Treble-winning side and, smiling, he says: ‘I remember the Champions League final against Bayern Munich. We watched it at home. Mum had her friends round and everyone was going crazy.’
The surname brings added expectation but Devante is sure he can cope. ‘If it was going to put me off, I don’t think I would have ever started,’ he says. ‘Anywhere you go, it’s “That’s Andy Cole’s son”. You get abuse from away crowds but if you can’t handle it, the game isn’t for you.’
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx
Blackadder
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: CITY
My favourite player is: Agueroooooooooooo

Re: Devante Cole in "Manchester City don't care" whine

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:27 am

It's in the EDS thread already.
The match tonight shows where the real talent in the Academy is. I think the future is bright and if you are genuinely up to our standard, you will get a chance.
By all accounts, those coming through the younger age groups now are a lot higher standard than when Devante was here.

Check out the EDS thread.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Wooders » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:05 am

Quite an unbelievable rant at a club that nurtured and trained him to a standard where he is able to have a career as a professional footballer given his apparent lack of talent
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Mase » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:56 am

Rag twat! He's not only just insulted the club that's spent years training him, but also his former team mates as he's saying he thought he was better than them but the only reason Pozo and Lopes got a chance with the first team was because they were foreign. Idiot.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Sister of fu » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:58 am

It's as simple as "you are not good enough". It's that black and white. If he was as talented as say Nacho do we really think he would be playing for Bradford. Not a chance. He can bitch and moan all he wants and sound as bitter as he likes but the bottom line is, your not good enough for Manchester City.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby Dubciteh » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:03 am

From football365 mediawatch:

"Devante Cole’s ‘woe is me’ schtick in the Daily Mail in which he complains that Manchester City do not care about English kids and gave more chances to Hispanic Academy players like Jose Pozo and Marcos Lopes would elicit more sympathy if Pozo had not been sold to a second-flight Spanish side after just 135 minutes of Premier League football and Lopes to Monaco without playing a single Premier League minute. And if Cole had not turned down a new City contract. And if Cheadle-born George Evans had not progressed all the way through the City ranks to make his debut this season.

Other than that…what a terrible tale of woe."
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Dameerto » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:22 am

Dubciteh wrote:From football365 mediawatch:

"Devante Cole’s ‘woe is me’ schtick in the Daily Mail in which he complains that Manchester City do not care about English kids and gave more chances to Hispanic Academy players like Jose Pozo and Marcos Lopes would elicit more sympathy if Pozo had not been sold to a second-flight Spanish side after just 135 minutes of Premier League football and Lopes to Monaco without playing a single Premier League minute. And if Cole had not turned down a new City contract. And if Cheadle-born George Evans had not progressed all the way through the City ranks to make his debut this season.

Other than that…what a terrible tale of woe."

I loved that.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:03 am

STOP MOANING AND ENJOY YOUR CAREER.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby City64 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:42 am

His dad always liked a whinge , must be in the family soft cunt !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby PeterParker » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:43 am

I am ready to bet he will never play in the Premiership. His max will be at the level of the son of Ince.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby nottsblue » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:26 pm

To be honest, I had forgotten about him. He was just another promising lad who ultimately isn't good enough for us, so was let go. Like many others before him and like many others in the current set up. He has been very fortunate to secure a place at a football league club and to remain as a professional footballer, something which most of us only have ever dreamed about.

He had his chance and didn't quite cut the mustard. All this about Spanish players is just sour grapes, most probably instigated by the rag journalist as a feeble attempt to try and denigrate our Academy. Barker and Evans have both seen action and are English
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby bigblue » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:36 pm

Don't know if anyone noticed in the post-match Garcia interview, the interviewer asked Manu to respond to "recent stories" that City don't give youngsters chances. Manu basically replied that we have incredible facilities, great staff, and a manager who is letting youth players (who are good enough) intermingle with the 1st team. Plus Nacho is breaking out, Roberts is getting late minutes, and a Garcia even scored.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:12 pm

Are these the new Bertie's?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:05 am

Devante Cole seems to have completely glossed over the fact that he was unable to break into the senior team, because players like Scott Sinclair, Jack Rodwell & Dedryck Boyata, were all deemed more talented than him!
If Devante actually was as talented as he seems to consider himself, he would be in the first team now, instead of Raheem Sterling!

Devante mentioned the South African tour, which were the first 2 matches for Pellegrini, as City's manager. Devante Cole was given the chance to prove his worth to Manuel & Patrick, but he failed. In the 2nd SA match, Devante was the ONLY unused sub, while every other player was given minutes... Maybe he answered his own rejection question, when he admitted that he's prone to challenging the manager & coaches.

City has home grown quotas and yet, Devante Cole never forced his way into the senior team. As for Devante's sour grapes assertion that he would have been better off, if he had gone to Southampton, instead of City... Yes, only if he wanted to be sold off for a profit, like Lallana, Shaw & Clyne!
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:48 am

Not enough class as a player or it seems as a person, be grateful for the start in life, and prove us wrong.Maybe his rag father could have had a word before he put his foot in his gob.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:01 am

Might be an interesting afternoon. Off to Doha golf club for lunch today, and generally the Bein Sports lot including Andrew Cole are there in the afternoon and most of them are normally game for a bit of a chat and banter at the bar. If he's around today he'll definitely be getting asked about it, as I'd be interested to hear his perspective considering the fact that ex players are putting their sons in the city academy in the first place.......wil be interesting to see if it's for development, or if it's for any realistic prospect of ever becoming a first team player. I expect it's the former.

Separately, in recent weeks, Craig Bellamy has been working for them, would love to grab a few minutes with him about his time at city
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:23 am

The question is, why did he choose a League one side instead of a Championship side?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:05 am

Beefymcfc wrote:The question is, why did he choose a League one side instead of a Championship side?

Thats the ridiculous stupidity in all this isnt it, he complains that he didn't get a chance in the premier league and Europe, when nobody would even take a chance on him in the second tier.

Obviously not one of the sharpest tools in the box is he, especially not admitting he is a trouble maker too. You don't mind the odd bit of grief off a top player, but not off a no mark
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Crossie » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:41 am

I hope we don't end up in a position where all these sons of Scum players we have just use us for our academy then look to leave as soon as they're old enough.

I know thats not what has really happened with Cole, he just isn't as good as Aguero or Bony or Nacho, so tough shit, swallow it up.

But the concern remains. I hope we aren't used.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:46 am

Crossie wrote:I hope we don't end up in a position where all these sons of Scum players we have just use us for our academy then look to leave as soon as they're old enough.

I know thats not what has really happened with Cole, he just isn't as good as Aguero or Bony or Nacho, so tough shit, swallow it up.

But the concern remains. I hope we aren't used.

If they turn into a championship quality player, we will almost certainly make a return on our investment, either at the point of sale or through development fees on future transfers.

The concern would be if these kids are getting in at the expense of someone else for publicity reasons. I'd like to think the club rate them as decent prospects in their own right
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum