UEFA charge City over fans booing anthem

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: UEFA charge City over fans booing anthem

Postby PrezIke » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:42 pm

This whole thing is hilarious and ridiculous.

UEFA exposing themselves as an absolute joke of a "governing body." Even have read Utd fans taking our fans' side.

Didn't care too much for part of Barnay Ronay's article in the Guardian where he commented on our fans' feelings about FFP sanctions:

If the booing itself is fair game, the reasons for doing it are only semi-convincing to the non City-fan. Uefa’s half-baked punishment of CSKA Moscow for racist abuse of City players was genuinely shabby stuff. Against that only the most partisan supporter can successfully cast a £50m fine for breaching financial fair play rules as a case of valiant underdogs struggling under the thumb of our Nyon-based overlords.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... kh-mansour

What, of course, is missing from his analysis is that FFP is just one of multiple instances that seem as if UEFA has targeted our club specifically, and that somehow because of our alleged "privileged" position with money to spend, other "privileged"/old guard elite clubs should benefit at our behest, while they are not exactly poor. His same argument could be turned around at clear intentions that came to light about FFP. That does not strike me as FAIR, in an obviously unfair in many ways that we could all list system and sport structure. We did not break any rules before, but suddenly new rules were created to protect the elite as Samuel did a much better job of outlining. That's the problem, Mr. Ronay.

Owen Gibson's piece in the same newspaper/blog is a bit better as he does not critique our feelings, but mostly about how horrible UEFA is:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... ester-city
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:52 pm

PrezIke wrote:This whole thing is hilarious and ridiculous.

UEFA exposing themselves as an absolute joke of a "governing body." Even have read Utd fans taking our fans' side.

Didn't care too much for part of Barnay Ronay's article in the Guardian where he commented on our fans' feelings about FFP sanctions:

If the booing itself is fair game, the reasons for doing it are only semi-convincing to the non City-fan. Uefa’s half-baked punishment of CSKA Moscow for racist abuse of City players was genuinely shabby stuff. Against that only the most partisan supporter can successfully cast a £50m fine for breaching financial fair play rules as a case of valiant underdogs struggling under the thumb of our Nyon-based overlords.

What, of course, is missing from his analysis is that FFP is just one of multiple instances that seem as if UEFA has targeted our club specifically, and that somehow because of our alleged "privileged" position with money to spend, other "privileged"/old guard elite clubs should benefit at our behest, while they are not exactly poor. His same argument could be turned around at clear intentions that came to light about FFP. That does not strike me as FAIR, in an obviously unfair in many ways that we could all list system and sport structure. We did not break any rules before, but suddenly new rules were created to protect the elite as Samuel did a much better job of outlining. That's the problem, Mr. Ronay.

Owen Gibson's piece in the same newspaper/blog is a bit better as he does not critique our feelings, but mostly about how horrible UEFA is:

FFP had nothing to do with the booing, this myth needs to be nipped in the bud.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 39263.html
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Hazy2 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:20 am

If anything this could be the game changer for us, when it comes to noise on CL nights. No excuses for not making so much noise you cannot hear the crock if shit.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:37 am

As mentioned earlier, if all this annoys alan green im all for it
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:46 am

The important thing in this for us is to boo like a madman for the length of the French/German bastardised song and then instantly turn that into support. That happens on derby day when the rags team of local heroes is read out, so the same needs to happen here. Booing but then not supporting the team is completely pointless
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:04 am

I'm sure the lads will give it a good rendition tomorrow.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:08 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:

The last home champions league game I went to, the anthem was booed, before we got the 50m fine.

My belief at the time (and my reason for joining in) was thay uefa were specifically setting out to stifle the owners investment in the club via the ffp legislation.

The booing may have intensified recently, but as far as I remember, this has gone on as far back as dortmund, and possibly further back than that, as I'm fairly sure it happened earlier
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:21 pm

Fair enough Sparty if you were there and you booed it then who am I to argue? I only became aware of this booing last season following the CSKA debacle. I never noticed it before then.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:12 pm

It deserves to be booed simply for ruining 'Zadok the Priest'.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Original Dub » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:32 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:It deserves to be booed simply for ruining 'Zadok the Priest'.

One of your faves yeah?
Original Dub

Postby patrickblue » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:40 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:The important thing in this for us is to boo like a madman for the length of the French/German bastardised song and then instantly turn that into support. That happens on derby day when the rags team of local heroes is read out, so the same needs to happen here. Booing but then not supporting the team is completely pointless

Handel was a naturalised British citizen.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:47 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:It deserves to be booed simply for ruining 'Zadok the Priest'.

Loud applause & cheers for this!!
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby PrezIke » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:51 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:

The last home champions league game I went to, the anthem was booed, before we got the 50m fine.

My belief at the time (and my reason for joining in) was thay uefa were specifically setting out to stifle the owners investment in the club via the ffp legislation.

The booing may have intensified recently, but as far as I remember, this has gone on as far back as dortmund, and possibly further back than that, as I'm fairly sure it happened earlier

This would make sense to me as it would seem odd that if that was the only thing that was involved in leading our fans to start booing.

I can understand that for many the booing STARTED after the CSKA Moscow incident. Yet, would one not think that the booing came from the collective result of ALL of the actions UEFA has taken with our club? In that case the CSKA Moscow game was the trigger, rather than being the primary reason that led to the scale of the booing to intensify.

Cheers.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:57 pm

We can't be fined for this can we? If we were all fighting then that's fair enough as fighting is illegal. Is booing not just a form of free speech? That's not illegal in public in Manchester is it?
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:50 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:We can't be fined for this can we? If we were all fighting then that's fair enough as fighting is illegal. Is booing not just a form of free speech? That's not illegal in public in Manchester is it?

Not a chance mate. If sanctioned it could actually lead to a loss of fans and no atmosphere at all in the stadiums. Bit like going to the Library.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby london blue 2 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:12 pm

london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby PrezIke » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:47 pm

london blue 2 wrote:https://www.facebook.com/mcfckiernan/videos/10153340854411925/

Fair play Jeff

psml at the "boo moon" comment...haha
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:05 pm

patrickblue wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:The important thing in this for us is to boo like a madman for the length of the French/German bastardised song and then instantly turn that into support. That happens on derby day when the rags team of local heroes is read out, so the same needs to happen here. Booing but then not supporting the team is completely pointless

Handel was a naturalised British citizen.

Pretty sure he only wrote the tune, not the nonsense French and German words over the top of it.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:59 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Fair enough Sparty if you were there and you booed it then who am I to argue? I only became aware of this booing last season following the CSKA debacle. I never noticed it before then.

To be fair I don't think it was all that widespread then, but I certainly know that the family stand and a bit of the main stand was involved at Dortmund, and I'm fairly sure I recall the same sections doing the same in our very first champs league game at home vs Napoli (I think it was)

So all the way back then, this was definitely going on in some areas of the ground.

And as my memory is a little clearer of recent years, I can confirm 100% that the booing was loud and clear at the Nou Camp in Barcelona in Feb 2014, every blue in the ground boo'd the anthem, many months before we played in Moscow.

I don't accept that this was because a few hundred blues booked tickets to Russia, though, I'm sure this Intestified things, but it's been going on a lot lot longer than that
Last edited by Im_Spartacus on Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:59 pm

PrezIke wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

This would make sense to me as it would seem odd that if that was the only thing that was involved in leading our fans to start booing.

I can understand that for many the booing STARTED after the CSKA Moscow incident. Yet, would one not think that the booing came from the collective result of ALL of the actions UEFA has taken with our club? In that case the CSKA Moscow game was the trigger, rather than being the primary reason that led to the scale of the booing to intensify.

Cheers.

It doesn't really matter what your reason for booing the anthem is and when it started. The fact is it is definitely the correct thing to do and City fans have pointed this out to the world, first.

I think there is a bit of a sea change, you can feel it. I would not be at all surprised if this spreads to other clubs.
They have their heads so far up their own arses(uefa), that They don't seem to see how removed they are from the ordinary fan's perspective of what following the team they love is about.
I'm quite proud of you guys. I'd say that the club is too although they can't overtly say so. But Pellegrini didn't condemn it and nobody in the club has.
The world knows we are right. We've been proven right regarding FFP, or the Sheik's idea of how you run a football club and I think we will be proven right regarding the corruption within the governing body. People are catching on.
Some keep their heads in the sand because it suits them, but when it all gets down to the base level of fleecing the fan, I think you may finally get solidarity amongst the fanbases.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum