Otamendi

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Otamendi

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:14 pm

zuricity wrote:
Otamendi needs to understand that when under pressure, it is absolutely ok to welly the ball into row Z.

If a professional player at his level needs to be told that I suspect he's probably not likely to change anytime soon.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:26 pm

I'm not overly worried about Otamendi to be honest. He's only a wet week in the club and looks solid enough to me.
I think the real weakness in defence is down our left flank and also the slowness of MDM. I like him and still think he has a part to play, but he is not a starter in my book. Just a year too far for him.
It makes no difference now, but if Denayer had not gone out on loan, I think he would get plenty of game time this season.

I think the defence will be better over the season than last year. I think our real problems at the moment stem from the front.
We are creating tons of chances to win games but we are not ruthless enough. When we have the upper hand which invariably we have had in most games, we need to put these teams away. Don't give them hope.
2-0 up and us picking teams off on the break is a lot different to us having to press forward and being picked off. A totally different dynamic.
Maybe Vinny and Mangala would have handled it better, but I do think Otamendi will settle in and over the course of the season we will steady the ship and press on.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Moonchesteri » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:49 pm

after Daft Martin proved me wrong I decided that from now on I will always give new CB's one full season in the Prem to settle. I did that with Mangler and I will do that with Otamendi too.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby sheblue » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:27 pm

I see Otamendi, just a handful of weeks from being a super signing is now completely written off by some..............Next.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby blues2win » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:16 pm

He's already shown plenty of class. He was the best centre back in the Primera Liga last season FFS. People are absurdly pouncing on every mistake. He was not responsible for the defeat by Spurs.
blues2win
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby BoltFromTheBlue » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:15 pm

Fuck me, he's played how many games?! Give the guy a chance to settle, he'll come good!
Tick tock tick tock.
BoltFromTheBlue
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby zuricity » Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:43 pm

london blue 2 wrote:
zuricity wrote:
Otamendi needs to understand that when under pressure, it is absolutely ok to welly the ball into row Z.

If a professional player at his level needs to be told that I suspect he's probably not likely to change anytime soon.

I didn't write that he needs to be 'told that'. Rather that he needs to understand it.

At that point in the second half ,things were somewhat chaotic in defense. It helps to take a breather and regroup.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby nottsblue » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:34 pm

Once he adjusts his game to both the pace of the Premier League and our high line he will be just fine and dandy. No need to worry. You don't get to be a full International for Argentina and voted into the leagues team of the year by not being immense.
nottsblue
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:54 pm

zuricity wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:
zuricity wrote:

I didn't write that he needs to be 'told that'. Rather that he needs to understand it.

At that point in the second half ,things were somewhat chaotic in defense. It helps to take a breather and regroup.

My point stands though. I know it, you know it. If he doesn't "understand" that, then what the fuck is he doing at a top class football club.

All players cock up from time to time, I don't think he can have any excuses there mate. Just a case of trying to be too clever.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby zuricity » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:14 pm

london blue 2 wrote:
zuricity wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:
zuricity wrote:

My point stands though. I know it, you know it. If he doesn't "understand" that, then what the fuck is he doing at a top class football club.

All players cock up from time to time, I don't think he can have any excuses there mate. Just a case of trying to be too clever.

Some professionals are not too bright. Yet great instinctive players. Tevez for example.

Clearly Vince is an intelligent guy.

It simply puzzled me seeing Otamendi wait and wait and then commit a very weak and unnecessary foul in a zone that enables dangerous free kicks / crosses to be made.

When he made the feeble tackle, i could see Klattenfart chomping at the bit , waiting to blow for a foul. We just can't allow ourselves to give cnuts like Klattenballs a chance, never mind the opposition.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:33 pm

Agreed. Schoolboy stuff.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby getdressedmctavish » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:50 pm

He might be fine. But at the moment I'm seeing amateur night.Why should we have to accept it, that foul for Spurs second was laughable. If your 9 year old had done it you'd be having a word. Its bizarre the excuses we make for these massively paid individuals. My mate is harder on the disabled volley ball players he coaches, lol.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:45 am

Thought I'd bring this subject back up, as for me, he's not getting any better.

He occasionally does one big challenge which makes him look like the man, but for the basics of defending, he's schoolboy level. His latest appears to be to lie down in front of an opponent. I suspect it's supposed to be a block, but if you do that so early, the player just walks post you.

On the grounds he's often next to at least one player who speak the same language and doesn't have to deal with Kolarov getting caught up the pitch, I actually think he's worse than Mangala.

My main concern though is who really identified and bought him and Mangala. If it was Pellegrini, fine, roll on next season, but if it came from our director of football, then what difference will another £75m and Pep make.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Wooders » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:48 am

Pep will choose his own players
I hear mangala will be used in the swap for stones as well
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:51 am

Let's face it. He's shite. Gets bullied, outpaced, out-thought almost every game. A touch of the VKs too recently when he's diving in stupidly halfway up the pitch.

Maybe all team's centre backs are shit and I don't just watch enough football, but City seem brilliant at picking the worst of them , usually for ludicrous prices.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:17 pm

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:Let's face it. He's shite. Gets bullied, outpaced, out-thought almost every game. A touch of the VKs too recently when he's diving in stupidly halfway up the pitch.

Maybe all team's centre backs are shit and I don't just watch enough football, but City seem brilliant at picking the worst of them , usually for ludicrous prices.

Was defender of the season in Spain but cannot cut the mustard here in the prem...same as that lanky cunt Mangala..both cost 70 odd million and both need fuckign off in the summer.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:20 pm

Wooders wrote:Pep will choose his own players
I hear mangala will be used in the swap for stones as well

What £50m for Stones or £60 plus Otamendi?

The only place him or Mangala are going is back to Europe, which means probably a loan and option to buy for about £10m. If we're lucky
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mase » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:28 pm

We still pretending Otter cost £30+ million? Valencia owed us about £20 odd million still for Negredo. In reality the difference between them was about £8 million.

Otamendi is playing like an £8 million pound player at the moment.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:28 pm

Blue Since 76 wrote:Thought I'd bring this subject back up, as for me, he's not getting any better.

He occasionally does one big challenge which makes him look like the man, but for the basics of defending, he's schoolboy level. His latest appears to be to lie down in front of an opponent. I suspect it's supposed to be a block, but if you do that so early, the player just walks post you.

On the grounds he's often next to at least one player who speak the same language and doesn't have to deal with Kolarov getting caught up the pitch, I actually think he's worse than Mangala.

My main concern though is who really identified and bought him and Mangala. If it was Pellegrini, fine, roll on next season, but if it came from our director of football, then what difference will another £75m and Pep make.

Did he always do this or has he only just started the lying down in front of an attacker? I've only noticed it in the last handful of matches but he does it nearly all the time.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:33 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:Thought I'd bring this subject back up, as for me, he's not getting any better.

Did he always do this or has he only just started the lying down in front of an attacker? I've only noticed it in the last handful of matches but he does it nearly all the time.

I've only noticed it recently, but maybe he was getting away with it before. Might work at under-9s but at this level it's embarrassing
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum