Statement of Intent?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Statement of Intent?

Postby gillie » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:01 am

Was last nights game a statement of intent of how highly we value the Capital One cup or did we need to get back to winning ways at all costs.Imagine if any of our top performers had been injured we would be going mad saying why was'nt so and so rested.Discuss.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Re: Statement of Intent?

Postby lets all have a disco » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:06 am

Lets make no bones about it The Count HAS to win a pot this season or he will be seeing the door and the Milk Cup would be a good start.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:07 am

I thought about that during the game when I thoighg Aguero might have taken a knock at one point. I honestly don't think I'd have bagged pellers as I want to win trophies. In my mind winning is a habit and for years we saw managers play weak sides and go out to far weaker sides not taking cups seriously. I am all for blooding youngsters, but for my money last night was perfect, solid win and 3 debuts. No issue at all for me:
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby City64 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:39 am

From the very first kick of this season Pellegrini , the team and our owners showed the clubs intent this season IMHO . Perfect scenario last night , big lead at half time , nice training stroll in the 2nd half and give some youngsters some game time . We now move onto Spurs Saturday which is huge , we are back to winning ways scoring freely ........ the rags have that pile of shite at home we played last night , we don't want them cunts going above us do we ???
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Crossie » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:46 am

City64 wrote:From the very first kick of this season Pellegrini , the team and our owners showed the clubs intent this season IMHO . Perfect scenario last night , big lead at half time , nice training stroll in the 2nd half and give some youngsters some game time . We now move onto Spurs Saturday which is huge , we are back to winning ways scoring freely ........ the rags have that pile of shite at home we played last night , we don't want them cunts going above us do we ???

Exactly, perfect cup game for us.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby sheblue » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:22 am

We didn't want 3 losses on the bounce, wouldn't have been great ahead of trip to spuds.
He got it right played a strong side won the game then brough on a few odf the younger lads for experience, it was the correct thing to do.
Onward.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:27 am

The count has always put strong sides out in the League Cup, and been criticised for it on here.
It didn't surprise me one bit last night as it is the norm for Pellers. And long may it continue.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Us

Postby nottsblue » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:45 pm

gillie wrote:Was last nights game a statement of intent of how highly we value the Capital One cup or did we need to get back to winning ways at all costs.Imagine if any of our top performers had been injured we would be going mad saying why was'nt so and so rested.Discuss.

Both.

I have always said that winning is a habit, and for that matter, so is losing. We had just lost two on the bounce and with a tough away fixture at the weekend a further defeat last night would have hardly been ideal preparation. A victory and the mood in the camp changes and it's all smiles again.

Also the Capital Cup is a pot. It also comes with a day out at Wembley. Thus worth winning. Granted it's the lowest priority but remember the lift winning it in 2014 gave us for going onto the title. Success breeds success and you can't win too much in my opinion. Realistically we won't win the champions league. Not this season. Therefore the three domestic cups are our best chance of glory.

Last night was played out superbly by the management. Start with a very strong side against a struggling opponent who already have their focus on premier league survival. Win the game by half time. Control the second half with a cigar on treating it like a training session and bring on a few young lads to give them a taster. Yes, we might have picked up an injury, but you can't legislate when and how they occur. Someone could just as easily get injured in training. Hell, even Silva and Sterling have been injured in the pre match warm up so far this season.

We will have gained much more by playing Aguero, Sterling and KDB in the same side so they can get used to each other's playing styles and intricacies than playing a concoction of youth and first teamers and having a tough game as a result. None of the premier league sides who played last night had an easy game like we did. Who will feel more knackered by the weekend? Doubt it's us
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:21 pm

As has been mentioned, Pellers goes into every game to win and last night was no different. I was quite surprised at how strong the line-up was and was worried about injuries and fatigue. However, there were no injuries and it ended up like a practice game, one just to get the legs stretched off.

My only issue with this is if we continue in the same vein, playing all our CC games with a near enough first team. We have 3 games in the space of 8 days and although the CC is a 'Nice to Have', I am hoping it doesn't impact on us going forward. If we get there, we then have to play 2 semi final games in January which turns it into a very busy month after the exceptionally busy Christmas period, leading into possible CL games.

One thing I will offset the above with is our squad. Over the last couple of seasons we've had no real quality back-up, such as in defence and midfield, whereas we seem to have now addressed those issues with real quality. Bringing in Sagna, Mangala and Otamendi enhances our back 4 options whereas the likes of Boyata and Richards left us somewhat short. Then add Sterling, De Bruyne, Delph, Fernando and Roberts to the midfield equation instead of Milner, Sinclair, an ageing Garth Barry and the likes of Rodwell, it really does give us strength in depth to cover near enough every position and allow rotation when, and where it's needed.

The last couple of seasons I'd have had a real worry about last nights team whereas this, I actually took great joy at seeing the new partnerships coming on.

Plus, how can anybody really complain at such an exciting half of football, playing a team away from home? We even got to see some of the youngsters.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:52 pm

The massive problem with doing well in the domestic cups, is the backlog of games it can create. We all remember the double season. We were playing catch up all season which is why we spent the least time at the top of the league.

Although I love the success. I hate playing catch up, even though we are very good at it. It really bugs me.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby bigblue » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:36 pm

Even if we go far in the cups, we have a big squad. As long as everyone is healthy, more games = better chance for the squad to be happy.

I love Peller's attitude of beat whoever is in front of us, and will never tire of seeing us blow out teams 4-0 by halftime. "You ain't come to play then get the fuck out the way"
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:48 pm

Wonderwall wrote:The massive problem with doing well in the domestic cups, is the backlog of games it can create. We all remember the double season. We were playing catch up all season which is why we spent the least time at the top of the league.

Although I love the success. I hate playing catch up, even though we are very good at it. It really bugs me.

We really can't whine about it. We have spent a sack of cash on assembling a top class squad. We have advantages few other clubs do.
To win pots you have to play games. What a fucking shame for us.
And if we finished the season with 'just' the League Cup in the bag, the season will still have been a success. And everybody at Wembley to see it would love it.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Us

Postby nottsblue » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:59 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:The massive problem with doing well in the domestic cups, is the backlog of games it can create. We all remember the double season. We were playing catch up all season which is why we spent the least time at the top of the league.

We really can't whine about it. We have spent a sack of cash on assembling a top class squad. We have advantages few other clubs do.
And if we finished the season with 'just' the League Cup in the bag, the season will still have been a success. And everybody at Wembley to see it would love it.

Totally agree.
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Sep 23, 2015 3:04 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:

Yeah agreed. It's a personal thing that I hate playing catch up.

Also it will never be seen as a success unless it's the league + a.n.other according to whiny scouse twat carra
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby aaron bond » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:58 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:The count has always put strong sides out in the League Cup, and been criticised for it on here.
It didn't surprise me one bit last night as it is the norm for Pellers. And long may it continue.

This.

It's always been the same since he's managed us.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Return to The Maine Football forum