Just Maybe...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Just Maybe...

Postby walmai » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:31 pm

...we can show up chez the champions elect and make our presence felt.

It would be nice to emerge with a point, but I am setting a little lower our sights and suggesting we're fair set to be the first team to register one past Joe Hart this season.

And, even though we've got the best team you'll have seen for many a year, my hopes are testament to the genuine nod to 'champions elect' so early on this season. 11 straight wins is monumental.

Our best hopes seem to be that you rest Kompany; that you take time to shake off the disappointment of the Juve game and that we can push up into your half of the pitch early. The real change Bilic has made to our game, since Sam and his 'get in the way, keep the g/d solid' got tin tacked, is that pressure is put on your FB's early. Victor Moses is undoubtedly an upgrade on Matt Jarvis, you may be surprised to learn. Lanzini scored at Anfield (albeit against one of the Prem's crappest defences), but also ran his wing for the whole game, competitive throughout.

And then...Payet. We've not seen the like since Paolo.

Hence the 'just maybe'.

We've never won at Anfield and Arsenal in the league in the same season. We've this time around done them both. 2 clean sheets. 5 goals. 5 different scorers.

Its been a long old time since we got any joy at all at your place.

Given that it'd be at the expense of Chelsea, Arsenal and the ridiculous Man United, its a given that not one of us would complain if you won the title this season. You can absorb a loss or two on the way.

Here's to a game that entertains through competition for the whole 90.

COYI
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Re: Just Maybe...

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:00 pm

Cheers. Post more.

My bet is that you win. Actually. I hope not though :)
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby South Stand Balti » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:02 pm

Quick question Walmai. Why have the Hammers been so impressive this season and yet managed to lose at home to Bournemouth and Leicester? I understand you have the personnel to play well on the break but winning at Anfield and the Emirates still doesn't stack up somehow?
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Saul Goodman » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:06 pm

Payet looks quite the player. Real coup for the Hammers
Saul Goodman
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bernardo Silva

Postby nottsblue » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:20 pm

Very tough fixture, make no mistake. Expect us to win but it won't be a stroll by any means. Payet looks a great signing and Moses has rediscovered his mojo again. If we get over Juventus quickly and focus on our game of pace and pressing we should do well
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby City64 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:40 pm

I think it will be a good game if West Ham press upfield . not many teams try that at the Etihad ! Could be suicidal for them with our power , technical ability and pace ............. we will see ! Aguero is due a goal or two and can see De Bruyne starting with Sterling and Silva , yepp looking forward to it lol .
West Ham are a great club with proper fans , glad they have something to cheer and feel happy about this season and proper football to watch every week :-)
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:44 pm

i'm just glad that we always perform so well against counter attacking sides...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby walmai » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:50 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:Quick question Walmai. Why have the Hammers been so impressive this season and yet managed to lose at home to Bournemouth and Leicester? I understand you have the personnel to play well on the break but winning at Anfield and the Emirates still doesn't stack up somehow?

I'll give it to Leicester; they're in fantastic form of late...One or two of their players are a bit niggly, but, fair's square, they beat us on the day.

Bournemouth was a cluster of rare madness, frankly. We handed 2 of their goals on a plate to them (in truth, we're a little fragile down the wings).
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Postby walmai » Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:53 pm

City64 wrote:I think it will be a good game if West Ham press upfield . not many teams try that at the Etihad ! Could be suicidal for them with our power , technical ability and pace ............. we will see ! Aguero is due a goal or two and can see De Bruyne starting with Sterling and Silva , yepp looking forward to it lol .
West Ham are a great club with proper fans , glad they have something to cheer and feel happy about this season and proper football to watch every week :-)

So, is it De Bruyne, with Sterling and Silva either side of him, Aguero ahead?

Ouch.
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Postby City64 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:23 pm

walmai wrote:
City64 wrote:I think it will be a good game if West Ham press upfield . not many teams try that at the Etihad ! Could be suicidal for them with our power , technical ability and pace ............. we will see ! Aguero is due a goal or two and can see De Bruyne starting with Sterling and Silva , yepp looking forward to it lol .

So, is it De Bruyne, with Sterling and Silva either side of him, Aguero ahead?

Ouch.

If I was the manager yes ...........

but I aint ! lol
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:24 pm

walmai wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:Quick question Walmai. Why have the Hammers been so impressive this season and yet managed to lose at home to Bournemouth and Leicester? I understand you have the personnel to play well on the break but winning at Anfield and the Emirates still doesn't stack up somehow?

I'll give it to Leicester; they're in fantastic form of late...One or two of their players are a bit niggly, but, fair's square, they beat us on the day.

Bournemouth was a cluster of rare madness, frankly. We handed 2 of their goals on a plate to them (in truth, we're a little fragile down the wings).

Newly promoted teams are always dangerous and hard to predict, since our PL teams are not used to playing against these teams' players and managers. City also struggled against the newly promoted teams, last season... So, City's first win against Watford was very important.

Would you be willing to make a deal & get Bilic & your team to agree, Walmai?
If City defeats the Hammers, in both home & away legs, both teams could then go on a historic record of wins, with City winning the PL title & West Ham in 2nd! In 3rd place could be Leicester & 4th could be filled by Bournemouth or Crystal Palace... Can you imagine the incredible repercussions of City & West Ham ousting all the usual Top 4 rivals, this season?
How lovely that would be!...
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:36 pm

Stuck us down for a 2-1 win but in the back of my mind I'm kind of fearing the scenario you are hoping for.
I have a feeling you'll score first and we will fight for a win, with Kelechi coming on and rescuing us again.

Maybe, just maybe.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:45 pm

Cheers Walmai, but no, I'm not even thinking about it. More thinking about our last 6 or 7 games at our place ;-)

Ps. I'd suggest that you are looking sobgood because there's a few that are looking bad. I think BFS had you right up there last season, with about the same points as this.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Blue Since 76 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:04 pm

Concerned about Saturday, but then surely no City fan of old can ever feel confident about a game. Payet is my fantasy football captain, so after getting two on Monday, I expect him to get sent off on Saturday.

2-1 City, West Ham to score first
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:16 pm

Walllll may
Walllll may

The second best in all the land and all the world.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:23 am

I also think you'll score this week, we can't keep a clean sheet every game and with a loss in our minds and some uncertainty about komps and also whether otamendi is going to take someone's place I think we will lose out clean sheet this week.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby phips » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:49 am

West Ham should've won that Bournemouth game. Their fullbacks gave the Cherries their goals. Woeful fullback play.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby DoomMerchant » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:41 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:I also think you'll score this week, we can't keep a clean sheet every game and with a loss in our minds and some uncertainty about komps and also whether otamendi is going to take someone's place I think we will lose out clean sheet this week.

Bite your tongue you jinx.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Dameerto » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:26 am

Payet's an early contender for signing of the season - still early days obviously but he's playing like he's been at the club for years.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:00 am

I have the in Law Hammers here for the weekend,beating you will keep them quietish as we pack my lad of to Leeds Uni, so down the irons and up the blues.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum