Can;t fricking wait for MoTD tonight..

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Can;t fricking wait for MoTD tonight..

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:51 pm

bigblue wrote:think MOTD has taken a good step forward by getting rid of most of the regular ol' cunts on there every week (who could never say anything positive about anyone let alone City).

Big Sam was good yesterday and Sinclair was fun today. Too bad there was Alan "bore you to death with cliches" Shearer and Martin "crazy eyed back alley mugger" Keown with them.

I agree that the UK version of Match Of the Day has definitely benefited from all the changes they made.
By the way, these recents changes to both City and the MOTD, were praised by the Daily Mail's Ian Ladyman... This hot list makes Ian almost sound like a City fan!
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... llies.html
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:56 pm

PrezIke wrote:
WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
Londonblue wrote:iwasthere2012 - are you on medication? NBC's coverage is rank. The two Robbie's (Earle and Mustoe) are awful. Not a patch on Alexi Llanas and his ludicrous hair, but shite nonetheless. Two men with speech impediments with no grip on tactics - almost as bad as the OS commentator. He is utter bobbins

Londonblue, I find it laughable that you would complain about NBC's PL coverage, when they are actually showing EVERY PL match. Sky & BT Sport both pick & choose which matches they deem worthy of broadcasting. So, you really think it's fair when City's matches aren't aired in the UK, but you can watch them in most other countries of the world?!

Was Sky TV's Martin Tyler and Gary Neville's commentary tactically more intelligent, compared to Arlo White and Tim Howard, for NBC? It was wonderful to hear more City praise from Neville, to counter Tyler's comments. Sky's in studio panel was Souness, Henry and Quinn. L'Arse Henry angrily insisted that Fernandinho should have been red-carded! Without the UK bias, NBC's Kyle Martino knew that Fernandinho's arm was lifted to get extra height for his jump & felt it was NOT worthy of a red card.

I also watched the Barclays PL Review version with Jon Champion and Andy Townsend match commentating. I then viewed CityTV's own version, which airs on the YES Network.
I followed this by watching highlights from all over the world. The best and most informative commentary came from NBC's version with Everton keeper, Tim Howard, who will be facing off with City, this weekend.

The best part about NBC's still-evolving PL coverage is the refreshing lack of anti-City bias. It's wonderful to see a Manchester Monday highlight show, every week. NBC's main ad for all their matches, is a clip of Aguero scoring!

Neville & Tyler's commentary:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6F_tiVZqsEw

I agree with this. If it was on Fox, who carried the World Cup I believe and the Champions League, with a basketball announcer calling the games I'd be miserable. NBC respects the audience and does not cater to less informed American followers of the game which makes ones like me far happier.

Also, Alexi Lalas is I believe an ESPN commentator and, yes he is AWFUL and horribly biased, but he doesn't have anything to do with NBC's Premier League coverage.

I also disagree about saying Earle and Mustoe lack of tactical nous, and the match commentary is usually good as well. Sure, their may be a bit more animation compared to a lot of British match commentators, due to it being an American audience, but it isn't like we have Mexican or Arab style announcing where they yel the whole game or that highly annoying Scottish commentator from Bein Sport. They only become animated when it makes sense, i.e. a key goal is scored or an important booking occurs. I find the analysis to often be spot on, and the lack of anti-City bias is indeed quite refreshing.

Either way I can watch every PL match online for free, and most on replay for days after! We are spoilt and I am loving it!

And it is available to you in the UK if you want. All you need is a good broadband speed.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby ruralblue » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:14 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
PrezIke wrote:
WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
Londonblue wrote:iwasthere2012 - are you on medication? NBC's coverage is rank. The two Robbie's (Earle and Mustoe) are awful. Not a patch on Alexi Llanas and his ludicrous hair, but shite nonetheless. Two men with speech impediments with no grip on tactics - almost as bad as the OS commentator. He is utter bobbins

Londonblue, I find it laughable that you would complain about NBC's PL coverage, when they are actually showing EVERY PL match. Sky & BT Sport both pick & choose which matches they deem worthy of broadcasting. So, you really think it's fair when City's matches aren't aired in the UK, but you can watch them in most other countries of the world?!

Was Sky TV's Martin Tyler and Gary Neville's commentary tactically more intelligent, compared to Arlo White and Tim Howard, for NBC? It was wonderful to hear more City praise from Neville, to counter Tyler's comments. Sky's in studio panel was Souness, Henry and Quinn. L'Arse Henry angrily insisted that Fernandinho should have been red-carded! Without the UK bias, NBC's Kyle Martino knew that Fernandinho's arm was lifted to get extra height for his jump & felt it was NOT worthy of a red card.

I also watched the Barclays PL Review version with Jon Champion and Andy Townsend match commentating. I then viewed CityTV's own version, which airs on the YES Network.
I followed this by watching highlights from all over the world. The best and most informative commentary came from NBC's version with Everton keeper, Tim Howard, who will be facing off with City, this weekend.

The best part about NBC's still-evolving PL coverage is the refreshing lack of anti-City bias. It's wonderful to see a Manchester Monday highlight show, every week. NBC's main ad for all their matches, is a clip of Aguero scoring!

I agree with this. If it was on Fox, who carried the World Cup I believe and the Champions League, with a basketball announcer calling the games I'd be miserable. NBC respects the audience and does not cater to less informed American followers of the game which makes ones like me far happier.

Also, Alexi Lalas is I believe an ESPN commentator and, yes he is AWFUL and horribly biased, but he doesn't have anything to do with NBC's Premier League coverage.

I also disagree about saying Earle and Mustoe lack of tactical nous, and the match commentary is usually good as well. Sure, their may be a bit more animation compared to a lot of British match commentators, due to it being an American audience, but it isn't like we have Mexican or Arab style announcing where they yel the whole game or that highly annoying Scottish commentator from Bein Sport. They only become animated when it makes sense, i.e. a key goal is scored or an important booking occurs. I find the analysis to often be spot on, and the lack of anti-City bias is indeed quite refreshing.

Either way I can watch every PL match online for free, and most on replay for days after! We are spoilt and I am loving it!

And it is available to you in the UK if you want. All you need is a good broadband speed.

Where can you watch it in UK? ?? Joans for bein sports or do they have a direct website?

They have just done fibre optic phobe lines and I have signed up for bt infinity so will be able to get 35 mbps from now on. Much better that the 10mbps I currently get.

Always struggled with a decent Joan and eventually signed up for sky sports mobile at a fiver a month but even that cuts out.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:22 pm

ruralblue wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
PrezIke wrote:
WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:

Where can you watch it in UK? ?? Joans for bein sports or do they have a direct website?

They have just done fibre optic phobe lines and I have signed up for bt infinity so will be able to get 35 mbps from now on. Much better that the 10mbps I currently get.

Always struggled with a decent Joan and eventually signed up for sky sports mobile at a fiver a month but even that cuts out.

I'll PM you.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby ruralblue » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:27 pm

Bless ya cottons x
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:33 pm

Can I get one of them PMs too Iwasthere? Have a pain in my bollox with dodgy streams.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:40 pm

Also I can have pm I was there?
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:53 pm

I would also appreciate a PM if they're going cheap iwasthere
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:23 pm

Dameerto wrote:It's not the FA's decision, legislation was put in place by the Labour Government when the Premier League was formed to protect the 3pm Saturday kick-off under the intention of encouraging actual match attendance.

Yes, but UK government laws can be changed and revised. When the PL was formed, the broadcast rights to matches were worth far less, than they are now. Viewership of the PL in the 90's, was not the worldwide success it is currently. Today's broadcast money can now be a large part of other team's investment funds, for an entire season. At the start of the PL, no one had devices that they could upload entire portions of a live match and share it with a worldwide audience.

Just look at how many people here are looking for options to watch more than what is being currently delivered by Sky & BT Sports. I am actually a bit surprised that David Cameron hasn't already made some changes to this law. After all, Cameron's favourite teams, Aston Villa & West Ham, would greatly benefit from all the extra broadcast money. I suppose that the govt. has far greater priorities than football, though!
Last edited by WhyAlwaysMe? on Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Postby Dameerto » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:16 pm

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
Dameerto wrote:It's not the FA's decision, legislation was put in place by the Labour Government when the Premier League was formed to protect the 3pm Saturday kick-off under the intention of encouraging actual match attendance.

Yes, but UK government laws can be changed and revised. When the PL was formed, the broadcast rights to matches were worth far less, than they are now. Viewership of the PL in the 90's, was not the worldwide success it is currently. Today's broadcast money can now be a large part of other team's investment funds, for an entire season. At the start of the PL, no one had devices that they could upload entire portions of a live match and share it with a worldwide audience.

Just look at how many people here are looking for options to watch more than what is being currently delivered by Sky & BT Sports. I am actually a bit surprised that David Cameron hasn't already made some changes to this law. After all, Cameron's favourite team, Aston Villa would greatly benefit from all the extra broadcast money. I suppose that the govt. has far greater priorities than football, though!

Which would take a political decision, not a purely footballing one. When politicians start worrying they will lose popularity they duck the issue. And Cameron doesn't know the first thing about Villa - he's on film mixing them up with West Ham - he's a popularist soundbite merchant that seems to have the country under mass hypnosis. I fewking hate British politics at the moment and have done since Blair's blueprint for his magnolia centreground power grab (which Cameron stole).
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby nottsblue » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:50 pm

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:

Just look at how many people here are looking for options to watch more than what is being currently delivered by Sky & BT Sports. I am actually a bit surprised that David Cameron hasn't already made some changes to this law. After all, Cameron's favourite team, Aston Villa would greatly benefit from all the extra broadcast money. I suppose that the govt. has far greater priorities than football, though!

It's not just UK games that can't be broadcast between 3 and 5.15, it is any live game. Remember when El Classico started at 5.00 and we had to watch Ballague watching the game on an iPad with him providing commentary?
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Slim » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:02 pm

Just saw Roberto's post match interview, that man is class and the chasm between him and last week's child is startling.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:13 pm

nottsblue wrote:

It's not just UK games that can't be broadcast between 3 and 5.15, it is any live game. Remember when El Classico started at 5.00 and we had to watch Ballague watching the game on an iPad with him providing commentary?

I always wondered if this law was partially created, because the UK govt. doesn't want the entire police force stationed at all the football stadiums and the bars, on match days.
This crazy 3-5 PM broadcast embargo does not include all the other live sports events, like cricket, rugby, tennis, etc. Instead of protecting live match attendance, it costs all the football teams far more, in lost TV revenue.
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:01 pm

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

I always wondered if this law was partially created, because the UK govt. doesn't want the entire police force stationed at all the football stadiums and the bars, on match days.
This crazy 3-5 PM broadcast embargo does not include all the other live sports events, like cricket, rugby, tennis, etc. Instead of protecting live match attendance, it costs all the football teams far more, in lost TV revenue.

As far as I can remember, and it was a long time ago, the arguments put forward at the time were not about protecting attendance at other PL games, but the lower leagues, including non-league games.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Socrates » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:45 pm

Dameerto wrote:
WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:The broadcasters that want to buy the UK rights to currently unaired matches, have claimed that not airing every PL match, deprives lower table and less wealthy teams from much-needed broadcast income. Match attendance is not always less, just because the match is on TV. If match attendance is the FA's priority, every match should still be available, on tape delay. Thankfully, this is far less of a concern for City, these days.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... unced.html

It's not the FA's decision, legislation was put in place by the Labour Government when the Premier League was formed to protect the 3pm Saturday kick-off under the intention of encouraging actual match attendance.

Which Labour government was that? The one that left office 13 years before the Prem was formed or the one that came in 5 years after the Prem was formed? Not that I disagree particularly with the decision, particularly at that time as is now almost redundant, but credit should go where it is due whether positive or negative.

Back to the original point, as I was eluding to on the football pyramid comment I made, it is the attendances at clubs in lower divisions that were foremost in the minds of those making the decision. People less likely to go to see a football league game or even the derby between Stalybridge Celtic and Hyde if there's a Prem game on the box.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Original Dub » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:43 am

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

WhyAlwaysMe
Thanks for that
Original Dub

Postby zuricity » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:03 am

Seeing as last nights game was between those great members of the Sky 4 , did anyone catch MOTD3 ? I seem to have missed it.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby john@staustell » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:53 am

I rarely watch Motd 1 let alone 2 & 3
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:02 am

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

As far as I can remember, and it was a long time ago, the arguments put forward at the time were not about protecting attendance at other PL games, but the lower leagues, including non-league games.

This fallacy that the UK government was attempting to protect the attendance of lower league matches, does not explain why those unaired PL matches are also unavailable, after the match, via streaming or downloading. Every PL match should be available to watch online, without having to search outside the UK.

As for the BBC & MOTD, please tell me that I'm not dreaming, since all their football pundits now think that City are the team to beat!
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33950813

Sláinte, O'Dub!
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Postby Original Dub » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:06 am

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

This fallacy that the UK government was attempting to protect the attendance of lower league matches, does not explain why those unaired PL matches are also unavailable, after the match, via streaming or downloading. Every PL match should be available to watch online, without having to search outside the UK.

As for the BBC & MOTD, please tell me that I'm not dreaming, since all their football pundits now think that City are the team to beat!
http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33950813

Sláinte, O'Dub!

;)
Original Dub

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum