Can;t fricking wait for MoTD tonight..

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Can;t fricking wait for MoTD tonight..

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:15 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
PrezIke wrote:Uhhh...take that!

Also, across the pond, the NBC announcers did well today, including Tim Howard, for the American audience watching who have less reason to generate hate against our club and like to see quality football.

I'm delighted for Pellegrini, btw.

I watched it on NBC and when the Mourinho interview was over the English guy in the studio (don't know his name) was having none of it. Much prefer it to Sky.

iwastherein2012:
The NBC Sports pundit that you mentioned is ex-footballer, Robbie Mustoe, who is one of the "2 Robbies," on the US version of Match Of The Day and PL Goal Zone. Robbie Mustoe completely tore apart Mourinho's post-match comments. Mustoe said that Mourinho was desperate to deflect attention away from Chelsea's overall poor performance. By the way, before the season started on Aug 8th, both Robbie Mustoe and Robbie Earle had predicted that Chelsea would retain the title.

As for the UK version of MOTD, if anyone is unable to watch the show, Alan Shearer also thought that Chelsea's playing was terrible. Shearer particularly singled out Fabregas for being useless.
http://www.talkingbaws.com/2015/08/16/a ... or-attack/?
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Jon London » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:40 pm

Fabregas was like a City agent. Those free kicks he took were diabolically bad. Mourinho took off Terry should have been Fabregas.
Jon London
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:55 pm

Jon London wrote:Fabregas was like a City agent. Those free kicks he took were diabolically bad. Mourinho took off Terry should have been Fabregas.

Right from the first few minutes I thought Fabregas looked off the pace of the game, but daren't discuss it with my mates as that would have seen him score!
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:28 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
Jon London wrote:Fabregas was like a City agent. Those free kicks he took were diabolically bad. Mourinho took off Terry should have been Fabregas.

Right from the first few minutes I thought Fabregas looked off the pace of the game, but daren't discuss it with my mates as that would have seen him score!

Jon London and Hutch's Shoulder:
With the sole exception of Begovic, Fabregas & the rest of the Chelsea team looked like they were still in pre-season training. All of the worldwide press are debating which of the Chelsea players looked the worst. Meanwhile, we're all struggling to single out just one of the many contenders for City's Man of The Match!

Like Alan Shearer, Jamie Carragher also singled out Fabregas for special blame:
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... -Carragher

http://www.thestatesman.com/news/sports ... 83330.html?

Here's a very good stats breakdown of Fabregas & other key players for Chelsea:
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/sports/fo ... rinho.html?
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Postby Londonblue » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:29 pm

iwasthere2012 - are you on medication? NBC's coverage is rank. The two Robbie's (Earle and Mustoe) are awful. Not a patch on Alexi Llanas and his ludicrous hair, but shite nonetheless. Two men with speech impediments with no grip on tactics - almost as bad as the OS commentator. He is utter bobbins
A woman walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre - so the barman gives her one
Londonblue
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:38 am

Londonblue wrote:iwasthere2012 - are you on medication? NBC's coverage is rank. The two Robbie's (Earle and Mustoe) are awful. Not a patch on Alexi Llanas and his ludicrous hair, but shite nonetheless. Two men with speech impediments with no grip on tactics - almost as bad as the OS commentator. He is utter bobbins

Londonblue, I find it laughable that you would complain about NBC's PL coverage, when they are actually showing EVERY PL match. Sky & BT Sport both pick & choose which matches they deem worthy of broadcasting. So, you really think it's fair when City's matches aren't aired in the UK, but you can watch them in most other countries of the world?!

Was Sky TV's Martin Tyler and Gary Neville's commentary tactically more intelligent, compared to Arlo White and Tim Howard, for NBC? It was wonderful to hear more City praise from Neville, to counter Tyler's comments. Sky's in studio panel was Souness, Henry and Quinn. L'Arse Henry angrily insisted that Fernandinho should have been red-carded! Without the UK bias, NBC's Kyle Martino knew that Fernandinho's arm was lifted to get extra height for his jump & felt it was NOT worthy of a red card.

I also watched the Barclays PL Review version with Jon Champion and Andy Townsend match commentating. I then viewed CityTV's own version, which airs on the YES Network.
I followed this by watching highlights from all over the world. The best and most informative commentary came from NBC's version with Everton keeper, Tim Howard, who will be facing off with City, this weekend.

The best part about NBC's still-evolving PL coverage is the refreshing lack of anti-City bias. It's wonderful to see a Manchester Monday highlight show, every week. NBC's main ad for all their matches, is a clip of Aguero scoring!

Neville & Tyler's commentary:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6F_tiVZqsEw
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:24 pm

Gary Lineker has praised Raheem Sterling and has said that he will be worth the fee paid:
http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/08/23/ga ... ormance-a/?

Trevor Sinclair changed his pre-season prediction and now thinks that City & Arsenal will battle for the PL title:
http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/08/23/tr ... race-betw/?
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:33 pm

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
Londonblue wrote:iwasthere2012 - are you on medication? NBC's coverage is rank. The two Robbie's (Earle and Mustoe) are awful. Not a patch on Alexi Llanas and his ludicrous hair, but shite nonetheless. Two men with speech impediments with no grip on tactics - almost as bad as the OS commentator. He is utter bobbins

Londonblue, I find it laughable that you would complain about NBC's PL coverage, when they are actually showing EVERY PL match. Sky & BT Sport both pick & choose which matches they deem worthy of broadcasting. So, you really think it's fair when City's matches aren't aired in the UK, but you can watch them in most other countries of the world?!

Was Sky TV's Martin Tyler and Gary Neville's commentary tactically more intelligent, compared to Arlo White and Tim Howard, for NBC? It was wonderful to hear more City praise from Neville, to counter Tyler's comments. Sky's in studio panel was Souness, Henry and Quinn. L'Arse Henry angrily insisted that Fernandinho should have been red-carded! Without the UK bias, NBC's Kyle Martino knew that Fernandinho's arm was lifted to get extra height for his jump & felt it was NOT worthy of a red card.

I also watched the Barclays PL Review version with Jon Champion and Andy Townsend match commentating. I then viewed CityTV's own version, which airs on the YES Network.
I followed this by watching highlights from all over the world. The best and most informative commentary came from NBC's version with Everton keeper, Tim Howard, who will be facing off with City, this weekend.

The best part about NBC's still-evolving PL coverage is the refreshing lack of anti-City bias. It's wonderful to see a Manchester Monday highlight show, every week. NBC's main ad for all their matches, is a clip of Aguero scoring!

Pretty much what he said. Whether you think the pundits know anything or not, at least they're not mired down by the need to put a negative spin on all things City.
There PL coverage is great for me. I can get to see all the matches without having Sky.

NBC are positively glowing about City at the moment.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:31 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:Pretty much what he said. Whether you think the pundits know anything or not, at least they're not mired down by the need to put a negative spin on all things City.
There PL coverage is great for me. I can get to see all the matches without having Sky.
NBC are positively glowing about City at the moment.

Yes, it was particularly gratifying today, to hear all the NBC studio pundits praising Pellegrini and the team, for working as a unified force. During Lee Dixon's match commentary, he was particularly thrilled by Silva. When City is performing this well, I try to read and listen to match reviews, from all over the world.
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Postby Socrates » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:39 am

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:

To be fair to Sky and BT Sports, though why I would want to be I'm not entirely sure, they only bid for what they are allowed to bid for. It has always been the case that the number of games covered are limited and that no games can be covered live if they kick off at, or close to, the traditional 3pm Saturday start time. This is designed to protect attendances throughout the football league pyramid. Creates a strange anomaly that you can watch every game when outside the UK, in a variety of countries, but not at home. The number of games covered has gradually increased though from 60 to 168 so coverage has gone from less than 1 game in every 7 when the Prem began to nearly 45% now.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:24 am

Socrates wrote:To be fair to Sky and BT Sports, though why I would want to be I'm not entirely sure, they only bid for what they are allowed to bid for. It has always been the case that the number of games covered are limited and that no games can be covered live if they kick off at, or close to, the traditional 3pm Saturday start time. This is designed to protect attendances throughout the football league pyramid. Creates a strange anomaly that you can watch every game when outside the UK, in a variety of countries, but not at home. The number of games covered has gradually increased though from 60 to 168 so coverage has gone from less than 1 game in every 7 when the Prem began to nearly 45% now.

The broadcasters that want to buy the UK rights to currently unaired matches, have claimed that not airing every PL match, deprives lower table and less wealthy teams from much-needed broadcast income. Match attendance is not always less, just because the match is on TV. If match attendance is the FA's priority, every match should still be available, on tape delay. Thankfully, this is far less of a concern for City, these days.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... unced.html
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Postby Dameerto » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:17 am

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:The broadcasters that want to buy the UK rights to currently unaired matches, have claimed that not airing every PL match, deprives lower table and less wealthy teams from much-needed broadcast income. Match attendance is not always less, just because the match is on TV. If match attendance is the FA's priority, every match should still be available, on tape delay. Thankfully, this is far less of a concern for City, these days.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... unced.html

It's not the FA's decision, legislation was put in place by the Labour Government when the Premier League was formed to protect the 3pm Saturday kick-off under the intention of encouraging actual match attendance.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:09 am

Dameerto wrote:It's not the FA's decision, legislation was put in place by the Labour Government when the Premier League was formed to protect the 3pm Saturday kick-off under the intention of encouraging actual match attendance.

Rising ticket prices have had a far greater impact on match attendance, than broadcasting matches. Match attendance is not automatically higher, just because the match isn't broadcasted. City now has many followers that watch every City match, despite being supporters of other teams... They'd never buy a City season ticket, but they still watch City matches on TV & the internet.
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Postby john@staustell » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:08 am

It's still a basic fact of Premier TV football that is generates more interest over and over. Everyone remember when they said SKY would kill off football attendances in 1992?

Been on the rise ever since due to the massive interest generated. One day this will change with various factors, but not anytime soon.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:45 am

john@staustell wrote:It's still a basic fact of Premier TV football that is generates more interest over and over. Everyone remember when they said SKY would kill off football attendances in 1992?

Been on the rise ever since due to the massive interest generated. One day this will change with various factors, but not anytime soon.

Your facts are proof that this broadcast law is way overdue for changing. Every PL match is already being recorded, so why force UK residents to search for overseas streams of a match?
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:38 am

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
john@staustell wrote:It's still a basic fact of Premier TV football that is generates more interest over and over. Everyone remember when they said SKY would kill off football attendances in 1992?

Your facts are proof that this broadcast law is way overdue for changing. Every PL match is already being recorded, so why force UK residents to search for overseas streams of a match?

Whatever about the legality of it, but the truth is you can watch NBCSN 1080HD quality on an android box from anywhere in the world that you can get internet.
This means you can watch all the games on Saturday, Sunday and Monday night. I've never had Sky but I could( allegedly) watch all matches for free and not have to suffer the Sky bias in the process. I could suffer having some American pundit telling me how great Aguero is at 'offence' as long as I was seeing the game. I could even put Kodi TV on my laptop or tablet or phone and as long as I had an adequate internet speed, I would be able to watch these games on the go.
How is Sky or BTgoing to tackle that, going forward?
From what I have seen so far, NBC are positively creaming themselves over Silva. They've said numerous times already this season that he is probably the best player in the league but never even gets a nomination for player of the year. They've also pointed out how Aguero is Ice in the box. He never panics. If he misses once he just gets on with it and is unplayable when in the form he showed against Chelsea.
They've been very complimentary about the team being unified and they've given kudos to Mangala and Kompany and several others that got a bashing last year.
I can live with listening to that. It makes a change from what I'm used to.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Slim » Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:46 am

You all don't know what suffering is, down here in Australia we have the braintrust of Mark Bosnich and Robbie Slater(TBH, he isn't that bad) doing match analysis. Bosnich makes up for Slater's competence by draining my will to live.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby bigblue » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:19 pm

think MOTD has taken a good step forward by getting rid of most of the regular ol' cunts on there every week (who could never say anything positive about anyone let alone City).

Big Sam was good yesterday and Sinclair was fun today. Too bad there was Alan "bore you to death with cliches" Shearer and Martin "crazy eyed back alley mugger" Keown with them.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Dameerto » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:59 pm

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
Dameerto wrote:It's not the FA's decision, legislation was put in place by the Labour Government when the Premier League was formed to protect the 3pm Saturday kick-off under the intention of encouraging actual match attendance.

Rising ticket prices have had a far greater impact on match attendance, than broadcasting matches. Match attendance is not automatically higher, just because the match isn't broadcasted. City now has many followers that watch every City match, despite being supporters of other teams... They'd never buy a City season ticket, but they still watch City matches on TV & the internet.

I'm not expressing a personal opinion, it's all documented fact. UK broadcasters would be breaking the law televising a 3pm Premier league match on a Saturday. The government's intentions at the time are well documented too, as was public opinion at the time.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby PrezIke » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:08 pm

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:

I agree with this. If it was on Fox, who carried the World Cup I believe and the Champions League, with a basketball announcer calling the games I'd be miserable. NBC respects the audience and does not cater to less informed American followers of the game which makes ones like me far happier.

Also, Alexi Lalas is I believe an ESPN commentator and, yes he is AWFUL and horribly biased, but he doesn't have anything to do with NBC's Premier League coverage.

I also disagree about saying Earle and Mustoe lack of tactical nous, and the match commentary is usually good as well. Sure, their may be a bit more animation compared to a lot of British match commentators, due to it being an American audience, but it isn't like we have Mexican or Arab style announcing where they yel the whole game or that highly annoying Scottish commentator from Bein Sport. They only become animated when it makes sense, i.e. a key goal is scored or an important booking occurs. I find the analysis to often be spot on, and the lack of anti-City bias is indeed quite refreshing.

Either way I can watch every PL match online for free, and most on replay for days after! We are spoilt and I am loving it!
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum