*** West Brom v City - Official Match Thread ***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: *** West Brom v City - Official Match Thread ***

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:06 am

phips wrote:
good to see that Mangala's passing is still just as shit as it was last season.

Oh ffs! He had a couple of loose ones but no more than any of our other defenders.

Edit: Just checked, 89.1% pass accuracy, same as Vinnie.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Original Dub » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:37 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
phips wrote:

Oh ffs! He had a couple of loose ones but no more than any of our other defenders.

Are you surprised by his post mate?
Original Dub

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:42 am

Original Dub wrote:
phips wrote:

Are you surprised by his post mate?

Not at all. It just annoys me that he'd single out Mangala for criticism after he put in such a solid performance, there again if the commentators specifically highlight his errors in particular I guess people will pick up on it.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby bayblue » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:02 am

Great first game.
I really liked the comment made earlier about what we bought with Sterling was space. So true. And when they man marked Dave in the second half that just created space for others.
Though Fern looked light years apart from last year's tired and almost shell shocked model. Also liked the physicality of our CBs. Them v Costa will be interesting.
As someone said we will with this style of play be vulnerable though the defensive middle. Some of WBAs attacks came from passes straight up the middle of the field. I think judging by Pellers interview and his comments re scoring goals that he's banking on outscoring other teams and if so then it's going to be a hall of a season for us to enjoy.

Finally a shout out for the fans. I wasn't there but on TV they sounded great all the way through the game (even if the commentators didn't seem to notice). And liked the appreciation shown for Lescott as well.
bayblue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:17 am

john@staustell wrote:Doug, I thought the free kicks were given away because there was a conscious effort not to let them near our goal. Also hack anything that moved in the penalty area. Seemed to work so far

Not really buying that. I agree with others that Fernandinho was excellent but one of his strengths is also a bit of a weakness when he is determined to get in front of players and nick the ball he does give free kicks away and they can be very dangerous.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Yffi_88 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:54 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
john@staustell wrote:Doug, I thought the free kicks were given away because there was a conscious effort not to let them near our goal. Also hack anything that moved in the penalty area. Seemed to work so far

Not really buying that. I agree with others that Fernandinho was excellent but one of his strengths is also a bit of a weakness when he is determined to get in front of players and nick the ball he does give free kicks away and they can be very dangerous.

Got a little bit frustrated with Fernandinho and his needless free-kicks in dangerous areas last season and there was a bit of the same last night. Its alright looking at the ref like you're being hard done by but it happened more than once and the lesson wasnt learnt (learned? - can never get that one). Looks like a silly sending off waiting to happen at times and his little clips and obstructions just put us under unnecessary pressure. When he's playing well he's brilliant but last night i think there were times when he could just have took a bit more time to think about what he was doing instead of trying too hard to win the ball through the back of his man who was often facing away from goal.
City Are Back...
Yffi_88
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby sheblue » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:58 am

Understand the comments about kelechi not coming on, but also understand that he wanted to give sergio 30 mins ahead of sunday.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby nottsblue » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:36 am

Being nit picky Iheanacho instead of Nasri on for Sterling wouldn't have weakened us too much I'd have thought. But equally giving Nasri game time is not a bad idea especially as he's likely to feature against Chelsea
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:10 am

You cannot give free kicks away outside that pen area..its playing with fire ffs !!. Kompany gets slated, by me mostly, when he fuckign does it and the same applies to Fernando.....cut it out !
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby getdressedmctavish » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:22 am

Wasn't at all surprised by Fernandinos inept tackling. For the avoidance of doubt he CANNOT TACKLE AND WILL NEVER MAKE S DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER AS LONG AS.......... As Ted told us years ago he's an attacking central midfielder who can break quickly and link up play. He showed with his brilliant pass to Sterling that he has quality. But our problem has always been that, when teams stifle Ya Ya and Dave and get in behind us, the defence does not have an effective screen. If you cant cope with Gardener and Fletcher except by fouling how will you cope with Messi and Iniesta et al?i am sure that was the point of the Pogba bid. I think Delph will be better at it but its a big ask. As another poster says, it looks like Pellergrini has decided to risk conceding with a view to outscoring the oppo. Swap Navas for de Brune and we should be unstoppable in the Prem. But will we be good enough to take on the top five in the chumps league which is our goal?to me, Fernandinho has always been a square peg, too similar to Ya Ya in terms of his attributes. so it will be interesting to see whether we can swamp Chelsea with our skill and pace or whether they can cynically stifle us and get behind our midfield and catch us on the break as Mourinio will doubtless try to do.Just for a marker, I still think Hazard is vastly overrated and easy to send down blind alleys. Think Sagna will keep his place.We are well equipped to get the big lumps turning and floundering but we need a tough ref willing to book the early Chelsea attempts to kick Dave out of the game.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hazy2 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:25 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:

You cannot give free kicks away outside that pen area..its playing with fire ffs !!. Kompany gets slated, by me mostly, when he fuckign does it and the same applies to Fernando.....cut it out !

Ferna was briliant at times, but a red card waiting to happen and the Chelsea cheating cunts will milk that on Sunday.... last night, however if a clumsy player like Joleon can thread ball through the middle of the pitch I fear we could get done by a side with say with Hazard running through last night was full of positives just big holes in the MF again. Sorry to be a nitpicker. The top teams in CL will see that all day.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:35 am

getdressedmctavish wrote:Wasn't at all surprised by Fernandinos inept tackling. For the avoidance of doubt he CANNOT TACKLE AND WILL NEVER MAKE S DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER AS LONG AS.......... As Ted told us years ago he's an attacking central midfielder who can break quickly and link up play. He showed with his brilliant pass to Sterling that he has quality. But our problem has always been that, when teams stifle Ya Ya and Dave and get in behind us, the defence does not have an effective screen. If you cant cope with Gardener and Fletcher except by fouling how will you cope with Messi and Iniesta et al?i am sure that was the point of the Pogba bid. I think Delph will be better at it but its a big ask. As another poster says, it looks like Pellergrini has decided to risk conceding with a view to outscoring the oppo. Swap Navas for de Brune and we should be unstoppable in the Prem. But will we be good enough to take on the top five in the chumps league which is our goal?to me, Fernandinho has always been a square peg, too similar to Ya Ya in terms of his attributes. so it will be interesting to see whether we can swamp Chelsea with our skill and pace or whether they can cynically stifle us and get behind our midfield and catch us on the break as Mourinio will doubtless try to do.Just for a marker, I still think Hazard is vastly overrated and easy to send down blind alleys. Think Sagna will keep his place.We are well equipped to get the big lumps turning and floundering but we need a tough ref willing to book the early Chelsea attempts to kick Dave out of the game.

Dinho is not an attacking midfielder, he's a central midfielder, a box to box player. I agree as a defensive screen he ain't great but he's not an attacking mid.

Pogba ain't either so I'm not sure what you mean when you say that was the point of the Pogba bid.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:36 am

Just watched the highlights and Id like to say this :

The first goal...Tyler was absolutley gutted it went in,,,he didnt even raise one decibel to describe the goal.

Bony had a wicked shot and just missed.....TYLER virtually said NOTHING..not even a raised whisper to describe the shot.

And LESCOTT was fuckign PAP........take it Ted Take it !!!
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:38 am

Hazy2 wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Ferna was briliant at times, but a red card waiting to happen and the Chelsea cheating cunts will milk that on Sunday.... last night, however if a clumsy player like Joleon can thread ball through the middle of the pitch I fear we could get done by a side with say with Hazard running through last night was full of positives just big holes in the MF again. Sorry to be a nitpicker. The top teams in CL will see that all day.

Lescott threaded one ball through midfield and that was at a point in the game where our intensity had dropped. For the most part they couldn't get possession in the middle third of the pitch, never mind our third.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:43 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:Just watched the highlights and Id like to say this :

The first goal...Tyler was absolutley gutted it went in,,,he didnt even raise one decibel to describe the goal.

Bony had a wicked shot and just missed.....TYLER virtually said NOTHING..not even a raised whisper to describe the shot.

where is ted?
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Yffi_88 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:43 am

Regardless, IMO, that gap will be exploited by better sides, and people with a bit more ability and quick feet will draw Fernandinho into more and more silly tackles where we can easily find ourselves with 10 men and an even bigger gap between the midfield and defence.
City Are Back...
Yffi_88
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:45 am

Yffi_88 wrote:Regardless, IMO, that gap will be exploited by better sides, and people with a bit more ability and quick feet will draw Fernandinho into more and more silly tackles where we can easily find ourselves with 10 men and an even bigger gap between the midfield and defence.

I think we'll be more risk averse when playing better sides, at least I hope so.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Yffi_88 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:51 am

Yffi_88 wrote:Regardless, IMO, that gap will be exploited by better sides, and people with a bit more ability and quick feet will draw Fernandinho into more and more silly tackles where we can easily find ourselves with 10 men and an even bigger gap between the midfield and defence.

I don't think we'll be as risk averse when playing better sides, at least I hope not.

I'm not sure he has the ability to switch his 'shit tackle filter' off. But as you say.. we can only hope.

I'm picturing what happens when Barcelona are playing the ball around and we're relying on Fernandinho to dominate the midfield without giving away dangerous free kicks. I feel sorry for him because (as someone mentioned) i dont think thats his strongest position but its glaringly obvious that last season - and now this - he's not looked the best of tacklers/decision makers.
City Are Back...
Yffi_88
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mase » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:21 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Just watched the highlights and Id like to say this :

where is ted?

With Marky Mark I think
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Slim » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:31 pm

You should have heard it when Chelsea went ahead, he sounded like he just knocked one out saying "Champions lead".
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum