Is what we currently have enough?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Is what we currently have enough?

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:51 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I just wonder whether Pellegrini will modify his attacking plans a little so we don't leave ourselves exposed too much. Individually our defenders are not the greatest.The full backs seem to be unable to handle simple give and goes so it's so easy to get round the sides.In fact none of our defenders are good at seeing or handling give and goes. We simply cannot allow teams freedom to run at us with ease so I would expect a little more caution in our play.

I doubt very much that will happen so maybe we will have to rely on scoring more than the opposition. We have the quality going forward even if Kun is missing for a while at the start. I see it as imperative that we have the best sitting midfield player we can and maybe even two of them! Even though Yaya can't be relied on with defensive duties I expect him to partner Fernando which would leave us 4 main attacking players. We know who 3 of them are but who will be the 4th? It needs to be someone with buckets of energy.

It's a worry pal, it's a worry.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby phips » Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:12 pm

blues2win wrote:Obviously not. I notice Coutinho played for the dippers yesterday but was away at the Copa America. Will Fernandinho definitely be unavailable for West Brom? Bench maybe?

James, Falcao, and Ramires have played a few too. and Vidal come on for a few as well and Chile made it further than Brazil or Colombia. Fern might be good to go. The Argies probably not so much
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Slim » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:54 pm

Nope. We needed a shakeup. What we got was a wobble that has made us weaker and even more imbalanced.

Buy pobga. Buy de bruyne, for the love of God buy a left back and maybe a centre half to replace Kompany and maybe, maybe we have a shot.

As much of a player as Yaya is, how has no one seen we are hamstrung by his form? We are not a side that should be reliant on one player's form, yet here we are. Let's hope he's in the mood because he can(and has) dragged us to the title twice now, when he's not in the mood, we'll be lucky to hold onto 2nd.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:49 pm

From my little experience with MP I can't see that he has the tactical no how to get the best out of the squad we have.

I think we need two of Delph fern1 and fern2 along with yaya to compete in midfield. I would play SAS up top and drop Samir.

Doubt it will happen as MP seems to think dominating for 20 minute spells here and there is enough.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby sheblue » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:05 pm

Would not at all be confidant that the Current squad is good enough.
As it stands now we are just not strong enough, central midfield and defence needs considerable strengthening. But it won't happen and its 3rd place for us.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:48 pm

Kun is world class, that will never be enough, most energetic teams this season particularly away I predict will gives us problems, Arsenal I think we all saw last season played us off the pitch at our place, that defeat was for me anyway the end for our cycle, love sterling but we need more or a long last season for MP.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby nottsblue » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:24 pm

The general consensus appears to be we are lacking somewhat in our squad depth and make up of said squad. If we don't improve on the squad then I wouldn't be averse to using this as a very real opportunity to really test the academy graduates. Bring four or five through the ranks and give them the chance to shine. Not in a half hearted way either. However, this would in all probability mean no chance of the title. I think we would have enough in the locker to still finish top 4 and have a damn good cup run.

That considered, do other posters share this viewpoint, or is winning the be all and all?
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:35 pm

nottsblue wrote:The general consensus appears to be we are lacking somewhat in our squad depth and make up of said squad. If we don't improve on the squad then I wouldn't be averse to using this as a very real opportunity to really test the academy graduates. Bring four or five through the ranks and give them the chance to shine. Not in a half hearted way either. However, this would in all probability mean no chance of the title. I think we would have enough in the locker to still finish top 4 and have a damn good cup run.

That considered, do other posters share this viewpoint, or is winning the be all and all?

Ok idea, and how it should be Imho. That said we are one of the worlds biggest clubs with CL as a major goal. Our season will be under the microscope from WBA . If we get a dodgy start MP will not even see CL Q. Brutal truth based on,last season certain player got old and slow. No competition in FB plus a captain who by his very high standards over the years is like A shadow of himself and lucky to be anywhere the 1st team. Navas is a waste of a squad number BTW, offers nothing.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:43 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
nottsblue wrote:The general consensus appears to be we are lacking somewhat in our squad depth and make up of said squad. If we don't improve on the squad then I wouldn't be averse to using this as a very real opportunity to really test the academy graduates. Bring four or five through the ranks and give them the chance to shine. Not in a half hearted way either. However, this would in all probability mean no chance of the title. I think we would have enough in the locker to still finish top 4 and have a damn good cup run.

Ok idea, and how it should be Imho. That said we are one of the worlds biggest clubs with CL as a major goal. Our season will be under the microscope from WBA . If we get a dodgy start MP will not even see CL Q. Brutal truth based on,last season certain player got old and slow. No competition in FB plus a captain who by his very high standards over the years is like A shadow of himself and lucky to be anywhere the 1st team. Navas is a waste of a squad number BTW, offers nothing.

PS Vinny I hope does not end up like Puyol did at Barca, come the end he was Stealing a shirt it was sad to see at times. Injuries had him always returning worse than ever forcing a mutual ending of a great servants time before it got embarrassing.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby dazby » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:17 pm

I think we can play some kids AND be successful. Hungry kids create competition and prevent older players from resting on their laurels.

I'm very optimistic of our chances this season.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Socrates » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:46 am

It's a fine balance if we go forward as we are and with the manager looking to be on his last season whatever. Certainly I believe it will not be our best season and yes in that case we must field some new blood to build for the seasons after but not at the expense of a Champions League place. Top 3 MUST still be the target as the possible continuation of FFP must still be considered and we cannot afford that loss of a year's income from our trading account and we have to also bear in mind the reality that a failure of FFP might yet cause a split in UEFA and we need to be at that top table, our continued year on year qualification for the Champions League helps our cause greatly.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby PrezIke » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:49 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
PrezIke wrote:I am very very excited about Sterling, but I worry it may be the signing that helps us one place while elsewhere we fall further behind. It also seems we may struggle still with FFP, the available options for real quality, and the new realities of the insane transfer market.

Last year we should have went for Pogba rather than Mangala it seems. Now we won't get him and is Sterling really our "crack" signing? We cannot beat the other big clubs unless we pay far over market value because we aren't sunny Spain, or a large "cosmopolitan" city, nor do we have enough tradition just yet as a top club. It is what it is, but it seems our reliance on youth development may end up being our real long term hope, but that is not going to help us enough this season.

Sterling sure looks like he could be the big signing but he's not Pogba just yet, who is the type of player we need desperately.

I know it's been pre-season, but our defence and central midfield is looking quite worrying. Our captain better get his ish together or we may be in major trouble.

I disagree. Pogba's the type of player we need next season and Sterling is just what we need. I honestly don't think we'll get Pogba, he has dreams of going elsewhere whereas Sterling is what we have been missing in the speed/direct terms.

We still have a very strong squad, full of international talent and it's only a player away from being the best in the PL.

Cheers. Not sure what we really disagree with. I think we have a lot of quality in the team, but we might have had a better chance at Pogba last close season, which we instead used our kitty on Mangala for at over 40mil. I will admit I was in the camp for Mangala and not against the move, but hindsight leaves us wondering, should we have not went for the top midfielder first and then gotten the defender next? I don't think the our management saw what happened this year coming somehow, with Pogba's value going sky high and Barca coming calling. That may be partially why we splashed the cash on Sterling. Don't wait until it's too late.

Yet, the result is that we absolutely have a hole in our midfield, and Vinnie's form is worrying to say the least. Thankful for Denayer, as he may be of help, but he's still young and learning, and not one I'd like us to rely upon along with Mangala who I hope does better, as he has quality as well, and is not THAT young anymore.

KDB would be of help, especially with corners, and I believe we will challenge still, but unclear what our season will really look like as there are some real weaknesses.

One forgotten positive is that Hart, who had been a lightning rod for criticism the season before, has stepped up closer to when he was considered a top keeper. Pellegrini deserves some credit for that I believe.

I hope we will be motivated to prove the critics wrong. That is a key to our season, as complacency has been one of our greatest foes.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:53 am

Socrates wrote:

It's a fine balance if we go forward as we are and with the manager looking to be on his last season whatever. Certainly I believe it will not be our best season and yes in that case we must field some new blood to build for the seasons after but not at the expense of a Champions League place. Top 3 MUST still be the target as the possible continuation of FFP must still be considered and we cannot afford that loss of a year's income from our trading account and we have to also bear in mind the reality that a failure of FFP might yet cause a split in UEFA and we need to be at that top table, our continued year on year qualification for the Champions League helps our cause greatly.

Good post chum.

It just feels as though we are fast approaching some sort of crossroads and, at the moment, no-one knows exactly which road we'll be taking.

The different, potential possibilities are almost agonising in themselves and yet this is against a background where FFP (or son of FFP) is still lurking and dangerous in the shadows.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby ben the blue » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:17 am

Where were the spafia when sami khedera was going for a free utter joke these kronies couldnt sign a factory wall with a spray can and if pellugrini losses 3 of the first 10 games kloppp or ancelotti will be straight in the guy is the worst manager iv seen since Pearce zero defensive organization no balls just a Muppet yes man
ben the blue
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: paul dickov

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:26 am

The doom mongering, naysaying and general negativity is astounding in this thread.

We finished second last year people, second with a squad that was generally complacent all season long. This season we will be injecting a bit of youthful energy and enthusiasm into the squad, we will have a point to prove, in theory the hunger should return.

I'm not saying what we currently have is enough to win the title but we're not far off it whatever way you slice it.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:50 am

ben the blue wrote:Where were the spafia when sami khedera was going for a free utter joke these kronies couldnt sign a factory wall with a spray can and if pellugrini losses 3 of the first 10 games kloppp or ancelotti will be straight in the guy is the worst manager iv seen since Pearce zero defensive organization no balls just a Muppet yes man

nice one ben
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby bigblue » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:28 pm

I think we could use another player, but Fernando and Mangala should come good this year. Lots of Porto fans think the octopus was the best DM they ever had. Heard repoerts that he had a groin injury for the last 6 months of last year, which is when he went off the boil.

Also if a few of the regulars get on with it (Vinny, Samir, Yaya) we'll have a very different looking team than last year. Also excited to see how Sterling and hopefully Nacho and Lopes get on
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:17 pm

bigblue wrote:I think we could use another player, but Fernando and Mangala should come good this year. Lots of Porto fans think the octopus was the best DM they ever had. Heard repoerts that he had a groin injury for the last 6 months of last year, which is when he went off the boil.

Also if a few of the regulars get on with it (Vinny, Samir, Yaya) we'll have a very different looking team than last year. Also excited to see how Sterling and hopefully Nacho and Lopes get on

Some sceptical souls might want to alert Air Traffic Control of the danger of a load of pigs flying past.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby bigblue » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:25 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Some sceptical souls might want to alert Air Traffic Control of the danger of a load of pigs flying past.

Other hopeful souls would rather be let down by reality in the future than their imagination in the present
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:37 am

bigblue wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Some sceptical souls might want to alert Air Traffic Control of the danger of a load of pigs flying past.

Other hopeful souls would rather be let down by reality in the future than their imagination in the present

Nice retort and quite profound.

Well done to you.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum