Expectations for the coming season - poll

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

What are your expectations of the coming season?

PL - Champions
24%
PL - 2nd
5%
PL - 3rd
3%
PL - 4th
1%
Cup - Not bothered about the cups
1%
Cup - A decent run in at least 1 cup
12%
Cup - Win a domestic cup
20%
CL - Don't care
1%
CL - Qualify from group
3%
CL - Win group
1%
CL - Reach QF
15%
CL - Reach SF
10%
CL - Reach Final
1%
CL - Champions
1%

Total votes : 320

Expectations for the coming season - poll

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:13 pm

What are peoples' expectations for the season ahead.

You have 3 votes, 1 for the league position, 1 for domestic cups, 1 for the champions league.

Will potentially be interesting to see how this changes as signings are/aren't made and how we kick off the season, as people can change their choices at any time.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Re: Expectations for the coming season - poll

Postby CTID Hants » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:29 pm

Tad too early for me Sparty, as you say some of it depends on who else is coming in etc, are you setting a dead line?

Which reminds me, need to do fantasy team next week!

Cup run trusting the youngsters would be good....
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:32 pm

Too early for me, too. We won't be winning the league as things stand, however.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:35 pm

2nd in the league
Win a domestic cup
Semis of the CL

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:46 pm

CTID Hants wrote:Tad too early for me Sparty, as you say some of it depends on who else is coming in etc, are you setting a dead line?

Which reminds me, need to do fantasy team next week!

Cup run trusting the youngsters would be good....

Fair enough, the season starts in 2 weeks though. The intention is that like the pellegrini satisfometer, you can change your votes as the situation changes with transfers or our first game or two.

No, no deadline, I think it will be interesting to record the results in say a week's time, then see how the expectations change as the season opens and again when the transfer window closes.

For what it's worth, I've gone for
Champions
Decent run in one cup
Don't care
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby nottsblue » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:53 pm

2nd in league
win a cup
Quarters in Champs league
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Sparklehorse » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:55 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:2nd in the league
Win a domestic cup
Semis of the CL

cheers

How come we can't win the league ?
I think we played the best football overall last season, albeit interspersed with a few dreadful performances too which cost us a challenge.
I just have the feeling that a different attitude will prevail this season....especially with such quality youngsters knocking on the door. I predict Kelechi will be a household name by the end of the season.
I shall have a couple of quid on him for the golden boot......you never just know !!!
And no i ain't been on the funny stuff !!!
"Its better to be thought of as being a fool and remain silent than to speak up and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Sparklehorse
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: All of them

Postby nottsblue » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:02 pm

Sparklehorse wrote:
Win a domestic cup
Semis of the CL

cheers

I think we played the best football overall last season, albeit interspersed with a few dreadful performances too which cost us a challenge.
I just have the feeling that a different attitude will prevail this season....especially with such quality youngsters knocking on the door. I predict Kelechi will be a household name by the end of the season.
I shall have a couple of quid on him for the golden boot......you never just know !!!

We can win the league. As can three or four other teams. Chelsea, as champions, will be favourites and like it or not we are playing catch up with them. Mourinho will be his usual boring self again. I think we can win it, but I expect us to finish second. No shame in that
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:13 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Sparklehorse wrote:
Win a domestic cup
Semis of the CL

cheers

We can win the league. As can three or four other teams. Chelsea, as champions, will be favourites and like it or not we are playing catch up with them. Mourinho will be his usual boring self again. I think we can win it, but I expect us to finish second. No shame in that

It's interesting isn't it, that as it stands now, we are underdogs and winning the league would be quite an achievement - although I reckon we might take a few by surprise with the performance of a couple of younger players in the squad if we get a chance
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:55 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
Sparklehorse wrote:
Win a domestic cup
Semis of the CL

cheers

It's interesting isn't it, that as it stands now, we are underdogs and winning the league would be quite an achievement - although I reckon we might take a few by surprise with the performance of a couple of younger players in the squad if we get a chance

Honestly the Rags and Arsenal will put up a title fight as well. Any of the four of us can win it I believe. Should make for a really fun season.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby sheblue » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:13 pm

Still a month of the window to go so a bit early to make predictions.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:07 pm

Bit of an assumption we will finish in the top four
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Us

Postby Bluedj » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:24 pm

Being a bit pessimistic, my concerns are set pieces at both ends of the pitch. There's been no improvement on our corner taking, in fact we look worse than last season. As for defending them and free kicks as well, we're still giving away stupid free kicks in dangerous positions that cost us. Rectify this and we're in for a good shout for the title
Bluedj
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: vincent kompany

Postby Nickyboy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:55 pm

Win the league
Good cup run
Semis of the Champs League
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:09 pm

I've voted win the league, decent cup run and quarter finals of the cunt cup.

That's my expectations. And I base my expectation on expecting us not to stop with just sterling but bring at least one more big name player, and I don't mean Kevin the brown. We need a big bollocks summer to shit everybody up.

I am going to be really disappointed if we only sign sterling in terms of star signings.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:47 pm

The trouble with expectations is that you would I assume be disappointed if they are not met. So saying we must win the prem and a cup and semis of the CL might end up a disaster. I just want us to seriously compete for every trophy and play great football and win at least something. Yes I want us to do better than we have in the CL but it would actually be nice not to have one of the best 3 teams in the world to compete against in the league stages.

I definitely want some of the young guns to get their chances in the first team as substitutes maybe initially but as starters as the season develops.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby dazby » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:10 pm

I think we will win a double again this year. Progress in the chumps league will be the big thing for me. I predict for the first time city fans will fall in love with the chumps league and embrace the competition fully. Semis.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby CTID Hants » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:58 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:The trouble with expectations is that you would I assume be disappointed if they are not met. So saying we must win the prem and a cup and semis of the CL might end up a disaster. I just want us to seriously compete for every trophy and play great football and win at least something. Yes I want us to do better than we have in the CL but it would actually be nice not to have one of the best 3 teams in the world to compete against in the league stages.

I definitely want some of the young guns to get their chances in the first team as substitutes maybe initially but as starters as the season develops.

Bang on the money there DH, progression in Europe, if for nothing else shut the sodding media.

The only caveat to the whole season is to better.... Well do I need to say any more!
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby PrezIke » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:17 am

Will be a far stronger battle for the title this season, and have far more hopeful exciting players. Not suggesting we will win, but Chelsea are not favourites by much if you ask anyone, I am sure, even if they likely are. We need to accept the underdog/hated role and take it on as motivation. It worked in Pellegrini's first season very well.

Doug also said it well suggesting it would be decent to not be matched against one of the top 3 clubs in the CL group stages. With the new rules is that more likely (i.e. Chelsea are the only 1 pot team)? Seems we are still low-ish in coefficient, (no?) so we will just have to deal with it.

I happen to think Sterling will be mint to the extreme and propel our attack to levels. We will still get burned on the counter, but at least our attacking mids will track back more, and if we get KDB we will get better crosses, and better corners of which we all know we were below par last season, and could fuel better chances which Kun, Bony, and co can feast.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:41 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:The trouble with expectations is that you would I assume be disappointed if they are not met. So saying we must win the prem and a cup and semis of the CL might end up a disaster. I just want us to seriously compete for every trophy and play great football and win at least something. Yes I want us to do better than we have in the CL but it would actually be nice not to have one of the best 3 teams in the world to compete against in the league stages.

I see where you are coming from with regards expectations/disappointment, however at any stage whether it be after the last game of last season, today, after the first game etc, everyone has a view of what is a realistic outcome for the season at that moment in time, and that's what i'd like to capture and see how that changes as time passes in the next month.

Quite a few people have missed the point completely by saying 'it's too early to say' - no it isn't, if we (and our rivals) didn't make any more signings, we are where we are. If we/they make more signings come back and change your vote
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum