' Not clear if Ed will continue'

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ' Not clear if Ed will continue'

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:56 pm

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
bigblue wrote:Kolarov looks a bit like Tevez in the above picture... strange.
zuricity wrote:Please name me one game where we have clearly seen that Bony fits into our style of play better than Edin.

Edin will always be a huge part of our club and I love the guy.

But check out the touch son. That's how he fits better into our team.
Oh and him holding up the ball extrememly well, keeping posession, linking upwith Yaya, and winning headers all over the place like last game

Bigblue & Zuricity:
As I've stated before, Wilfried Bony was brought in by the management, to replace Alvaro Negredo and NOT Edin Dzeko! By Nov-Dec, 2014, City had a number of strikers & midfielders all unavailable, due to injuries, which left them with insufficient coverage. So, in January, 2015, they brought in Bony to replace Negredo, after deciding they DID NEED 4 strikers, after all.

With Aguero, Bony & Iheanacho remaining, that still leaves City with only 3 strikers and 2 of them have yet to start scoring regularly for City! Yes, Raheem Sterling could fill in as a 4th striker, but he's been used more as a left winger, so far.

Obviously, management are expecting a lot more goals from all the attacking midfielders combined. If City plans to use the midfielders as false strikers, then they need to take a lot more shots on goal, rather than endlessly passing the ball to someone else!

I don't want to see City in the exact same position as last year, with insufficient backups, to cover for player injuries & absences. I still believe it would have been safer to keep Dzeko, at least until January.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ap-8596249

Do you accept that the plan may be to play one up front as opposed to 2 last season? If so do you still think we need 4 strikers.

There's no point in keeping a player that's taking up a foreign spot if he has lost the desire to fight.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:24 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Do you accept that the plan may be to play one up front as opposed to 2 last season? If so do you still think we need 4 strikers.
There's no point in keeping a player that's taking up a foreign spot if he has lost the desire to fight.

Foreverinbluedreams:
I don't believe that sticking to just one type of formation actually works. City needs to change tactics and formation, depending on which teams they are playing. Ideally, you want the opposition not to know who to mark and every City player should be scoring, when the strikers can't. If Plan A isn't working, then you don't wait until the 60th or 70th minute, to change City's tactics. Pellegrini should have more than one backup plan, if his first formation isn't getting goals.

Dzeko scored lots of goals as an impact sub, even though he would have preferred to start every match. Txiki has transferred every Hughes & Mancini signing, that doesn't suit his own player preferences and plans.

It's obvious to me, that the current quotas allowed by the FA & UEFA, are insufficient for City to compete for all 4 trophies. The only good thing, is that City are allowed a lot more Under 21 players as backups. So, hopefully, this will force City to train more kids, along with the first team. I'm the greedy type... I would stockpile as many possible goalscorers as City are allowed!
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby kinkylola » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:29 pm

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:As I've stated before, Wilfried Bony was brought in by the management, to replace Alvaro Negredo and NOT Edin Dzeko!

You've said this before, and you were wrong when you said it then. Negredo had already all but replaced Dzeko in the team before his form fell off due to homesickness or whatever it was. I believe we tried to move dzeko on in the January window, failed, but still pulled the trigger on Bony because we didn't want to let the opportunity pass by.

Yes we want goals from our strikers obviously, saying "we bought Dzeko for his goals" is not wrong, but it misses a key component of building a team ...fitting the strategy/philosophy of the team and management. Bony is the type that we wanted as a foil to Aguero all along. Yes he is also expected to score goals but there are other facets to his game which are also valuable, where I believe Edin fell down in our system.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby kinkylola » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:32 pm

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Do you accept that the plan may be to play one up front as opposed to 2 last season? If so do you still think we need 4 strikers.

Foreverinbluedreams:
I don't believe that sticking to just one type of formation actually works. City needs to change tactics and formation, depending on which teams they are playing. Ideally, you want the opposition not to know who to mark and every City player should be scoring, when the strikers can't. If Plan A isn't working, then you don't wait until the 60th or 70th minute, to change City's tactics. Pellegrini should have more than one backup plan, if his first formation isn't getting goals.

Dzeko scored lots of goals as an impact sub, even though he would have preferred to start every match. Txiki has transferred every Hughes & Mancini signing, that doesn't suit his own player preferences and plans.

It's obvious to me, that the current quotas allowed by the FA & UEFA, are insufficient for City to compete for all 4 trophies. The only good thing, is that City are allowed a lot more Under 21 players as backups. So, hopefully, this will force City to train more kids, along with the first team. I'm the greedy type... I would stockpile as many possible goalscorers as City are allowed!

your first paragraph highlights exactly why Bony would be preferred in our system over Dzeko. Dzeko doesn't change our system, he's a big man that doesn't play big. He doesn't hold up the ball well and he doesn't do as good a job of involving others as Bony does. When Bony is on the field instead of Aguero, the focus is much more on our attacking midfielders playing off of Bony ... it absolutely changes the system and the opposition is forced to react very differently. When Aguero is on the field, we focus on creating for him ad we move as a team in different ways.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:36 pm

Love ya man x
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Cit.revenge » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:57 pm

Well you told me Domie to keep u up to post , Roma Sevilla first half 4 0 Dzeko 2 goals and assist
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
Cit.revenge
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby kinkylola » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:03 pm

Cit.revenge wrote:Well you told me Domie to keep u up to post , Roma Sevilla first half 4 0 Dzeko 2 goals and assist

good stuff by Dzeko, he'll do a good job in Serie A.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:04 pm

kinkylola wrote:your first paragraph highlights exactly why Bony would be preferred in our system over Dzeko. Dzeko doesn't change our system, he's a big man that doesn't play big. He doesn't hold up the ball well and he doesn't do as good a job of involving others as Bony does. When Bony is on the field instead of Aguero, the focus is much more on our attacking midfielders playing off of Bony ... it absolutely changes the system and the opposition is forced to react very differently. When Aguero is on the field, we focus on creating for him ad we move as a team in different ways.

Kinkylola:
So, what does City do, if both Aguero and Bony are unavailable, at the same time? Should Pellegrini throw Iheanacho or Sterling in, at the deep end? Do we use Silva, Nasri or Delph, as makeshift strikers? Last season, City got lucky that Milner could fill in, while this exact scenario happened!

I do believe that Bony is eventually capable of replacing either Negredo or Dzeko's goals. He won't be able to replace both Negredo AND Dzeko, though! Would it really have been SO terrible to keep 4 very different types of strikers, until all of the new players have started scoring regularly?! When Dzeko was recently subbed on, he played as an attacking midfielder, anyway. Isn't it better for City's negotiating future, to NOT just give City's players away, for practically nothing? Sorry, but nothing you've said makes this loan acceptable, but what's done is done.
Last edited by WhyAlwaysMe? on Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Postby kinkylola » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:10 pm

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:So, what does City do, if both Aguero and Bony are unavailable, at the same time? Should Pellegrini throw Iheanacho or Sterling in, at the deep end? Do we use Silva, Nasri or Delph, as makeshift strikers? Last season, City got lucky that Milner could fill in, while this exact scenario happened!

Do you think it's feasible to keep 4 full international strikers for a 1 striker system? It simply isn't possible ... nor necessary. Do you think Dzeko was content to play 3rd string? He absolutely was not, nor should be ... he should be a starter somewhere. Shit, people said it was too much when we had 4 full senior strikers for a 2 striker system!

Bony fits our system better and will score goals. Midfielders will score more goals in our system. See the 3-0 win Monday.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby ruralblue » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:17 pm

Cit.revenge wrote:Well you told me Domie to keep u up to post , Roma Sevilla first half 4 0 Dzeko 2 goals and assist

lazy git
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:26 pm

kinkylola wrote:Do you think it's feasible to keep 4 full international strikers for a 1 striker system? It simply isn't possible ... nor necessary. Do you think Dzeko was content to play 3rd string? He absolutely was not, nor should be ... he should be a starter somewhere. Shit, people said it was too much when we had 4 full senior strikers for a 2 striker system!

Bony fits our system better and will score goals. Midfielders will score more goals in our system. See the 3-0 win Monday.

Kinkylola, you seem stuck on some idea that City has just one system, or formation for playing. If you watch any of the matches where City's opposition parked a bus in front of the goal (and Sunday's match might be the next), you will clearly see that those are the types of matches that helped cost City the title. They needed lots of alternatives and changes to their system, to get past the best defenders and keepers.

Our ongoing debate really comes down to your having more faith and being willing to gamble, that City's newer replacements will definitely start scoring in the numbers needed. I am not a big gambler and would only sell, AFTER all the replacements are consistently scoring enough.

As much as I've enjoyed our debate, all that matters is what Pellegrini, Txiki & Khaldoon have planned. According to Pellegrini's latest interview, they are planning to add 2 more players:
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... ed-Arsenal
Last edited by WhyAlwaysMe? on Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Postby Nigels Tackle » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:27 pm

the same sevilla that played 120 mins in tiblisi 48 hours ago?
i'd have given them the runaround tonight...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby kinkylola » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:39 pm

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
kinkylola wrote:Do you think it's feasible to keep 4 full international strikers for a 1 striker system? It simply isn't possible ... nor necessary. Do you think Dzeko was content to play 3rd string? He absolutely was not, nor should be ... he should be a starter somewhere. Shit, people said it was too much when we had 4 full senior strikers for a 2 striker system!

Kinkylola, you seem stuck on some idea that City has just one system, or formation for playing. If you watch any of the matches where City's oppostion parked a bus in front of the goal (and Sunday's match might be the next), you will clearly see that those are the types of matches that helped cost City the title. They needed lots of alternatives and changes to their system, to get past the best defenders and keepers.

Our ongoing debate really comes down to your having more faith and being willing to gamble, that City's newer replacements will definitely start scoring in the numbers needed. I am not a big gambler and would only sell, AFTER all the replacements are consistently scoring enough.

As much as I've enjoyed our debate, all that matters is what Pellegrini, Txiki & Khaldoon have
planned. According to Pellegrini's latest interview, they are planning to add 2 more players:
http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... ed-Arsenal

1 system is exactly what we do and should have. Do you see Mourinho's teams lining up in different formations every week? Barcelona? Bayern? Real? They have a system, and they have ways to change that system via the players they pick, but you play to and develop a system as a club that you can implement from the youth through to senior teams. That's how you develop youth capable of contributing in meaningful ways to the team and that's how you build dynasties like fucking whiskey nose down the road ... He very rarely deviated from his system. There may be outlying exceptions even for the teams above, but this holds true as a general rule.

I hadn't read that article before, but it doesn't look like he's saying 2 strikers ... 2 players, probably to fit our system and grow the squad strength.

If we are going to play the season with 2 strikers, I'd accept needing another striker in before the window closes. I wouldn't necessarily want another huge name, proven striker ... i'd want someone that fit the system, while not blocking nacho's path to the first team. We'll never know if our kids are good enough if we don't play them, and I believe that is a philosophy that will be important to our club going forward.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:42 pm

I already miss him
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:22 pm

Kinkylola:
You are far more obsessed about systems, than Manuel Pellegrini is and you claim to know his ideas, better than he does himself! As for Barcelona, they have 4 forwards in their team & if they sell Pedro, they will replace him.

Here are Pellegrini's own quotes from February, 2015:

“I think we replace Alvaro for Bony – they are similar players both of them,” he said.

“What Bony will do is continue what we did last season and this season when we had Edin Dzeko. So I think that is what Bony will do.

“I don’t know if direct is the word [for how City will play]. It is the way to play with two strikers to give the team different things.

“We can play without strikers, we can play with one striker, we can play with two strikers. There are different ways to play.

“I think that when you have so many teams who come here with nine or 10 players behind the ball near the box, you need strikers. It’s important to have different choices.”

WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Postby london blue 2 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:26 pm

Scored a cracker on his debut.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby kinkylola » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:10 pm

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:Kinkylola:
You are far more obsessed about systems, than Manuel Pellegrini is and you claim to know his ideas, better than he does himself! As for Barcelona, they have 4 forwards in their team & if they sell Pedro, they will replace him.

Here are Pellegrini's own quotes from February, 2015:

“I think we replace Alvaro for Bony – they are similar players both of them,” he said.

“What Bony will do is continue what we did last season and this season when we had Edin Dzeko. So I think that is what Bony will do.

“I don’t know if direct is the word [for how City will play]. It is the way to play with two strikers to give the team different things.

“We can play without strikers, we can play with one striker, we can play with two strikers. There are different ways to play.

“I think that when you have so many teams who come here with nine or 10 players behind the ball near the box, you need strikers. It’s important to have different choices.”

barcelona have 4 forwards ... and they play with 3 ... and they're willing to part with pedro .... surely they should have 6, 3 for backup ... not just 1 backup for 3 forward positions?

How do they do it?
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:34 pm

kinkylola wrote:barcelona have 4 forwards ... and they play with 3 ... and they're willing to part with pedro .... surely they should have 6, 3 for backup ... not just 1 backup for 3 forward positions?

How do they do it?

Kinkylola, think back to City's matches vs Barcelona, for your answer. While all of City's defenders were overly busy marking Messi, Neymar and Suarez, it was Ivan Rakitic that went completely unmarked in the box and opened the scoring... Messi never even had to score, for them to win. If all the attacking strikers & midfielders attack at once from all sides, defenders usually will concentrate on those forwards that they expect are most likely to score.

Why did City do so well vs W. Brom? Without Aguero and without broadcasting City's fluid formation, the West Brom defenders had no clue as to which players needed the most marking, other than Silva, Yaya & Sterling. City scored 3 goals, but Bony, Nasri, Navas, Sterling and Fernandinho, also had shots directly on target, that Myhill had to save. I don't want Pellegrini to broadcast City's system(s) and they must NOT be predictable, if they are to do better against teams that defend with every man in front of the goalkeeper.
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Postby bigblue » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:03 am

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:Kinkylola, think back to City's matches vs Barcelona, for your answer. While all of City's defenders were overly busy marking Messi, Neymar and Suarez, it was Ivan Rakitic that went completely unmarked in the box and opened the scoring... Messi never even had to score, for them to win. If all the attacking strikers & midfielders attack at once from all sides, defenders usually will concentrate on those forwards that they expect are most likely to score.

Why did City do so well vs W. Brom? Without Aguero and without broadcasting City's fluid formation, the West Brom defenders had no clue as to which players needed the most marking, other than Silva, Yaya & Sterling. City scored 3 goals, but Bony, Nasri, Navas, Sterling and Fernandinho, also had shots directly on target, that Myhill had to save. I don't want Pellegrini to broadcast City's system(s) and they must NOT be predictable, if they are to do better against teams that defend with every man in front of the goalkeeper.

are you the bastard child of ted hughes and mancio4ever?
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Slim » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:01 am

bigblue wrote:
WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:Kinkylola, think back to City's matches vs Barcelona, for your answer. While all of City's defenders were overly busy marking Messi, Neymar and Suarez, it was Ivan Rakitic that went completely unmarked in the box and opened the scoring... Messi never even had to score, for them to win. If all the attacking strikers & midfielders attack at once from all sides, defenders usually will concentrate on those forwards that they expect are most likely to score.

are you the bastard child of ted hughes and mancio4ever?

Ted stops posting, this guy starts posting and you're wondering who the mystery man behind the sermons is?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum