' Not clear if Ed will continue'

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ' Not clear if Ed will continue'

Postby Crossie » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:13 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
Bleed_Blue wrote:Thanks Edin, give it a month and half the fans here will be against this sale.

Bleed Blue, I need no time at all, to know that this sale of Edin Dzeko is a total mistake and another negotiating failure by Txiki! Even for people who want Edin to leave, the fee is completely unacceptable, for a striker that is the 5th top striker in the league!... Dzeko has scored 73 goals and 39 assists, in all comps.

Proof this fee is robbery?... 2 years ago, Tottenham paid Roma 25 million GBP for Erik Lamela! Tottenham are asking £11 million for total flop, Roberto Soldado and Utd are asking £12 million for Chicharito! Edin is only worth 2-3 million more than those players?!
W.Brom are asking £25 million for potential replacement Saido Berahino.

When will mgt. finally learn to sell goalscorers, ONLY after their replacements are bedded in & scoring regularly?

Jayko is 29 and coming off a completely shit season. Zero fucking leverage.

Cheers

It comes down to good business over a period of time.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby blues2win » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:42 am

Corriere dello Sport say Edin flying to Rome tomorrow for his medical. Probably needs today to unwind things in Manchester.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:47 am

blues2win wrote:Corriere dello Sport say Edin flying to Rome tomorrow for his medical. Probably needs today to unwind things in Manchester.

cancel his electric, sky, council tax etc...?
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:54 pm

Dunnylad wrote:He had to go, we couldn't wait for his form to return and his last few performances were so below par (pre-season friendlies do not count) that we couldn't persevere with him any longer. He's a player who needs regular football, but he would never get that here & we aren't in a position for players to dip in & out of form (it begs the question what we do with Nasri & Kompany if they don't shape up). Its not as if Edin didn't have blips in form under Mancini, so we cant say its managerial or playing style problems. Not glossing over his achievements, but why have him languishing on the bench when you could have Ian or a.n.other pushing for game time.

Dunnylad, but you are glossing over his achievements, since other than last season's injuries, Edin has scored more than 15 goals, in every season since 2007! How many other players in the world can deliver such prolific consistency?

The friendly against Stuttgart is another perfect example of why City still needs Edin. As a late sub, with zero to play for, Edin scored, while most of the others couldn't! Iheanacho will be replacing Jovetic & not Dzeko, if he stays with the 1st team. City will need at least 4 strikers for the season.

Crossie wrote:It comes down to good business over a period of time.

Crossie, selling one of City's best players, at a tremendous price loss, will never be good business, no matter how much time you wait! Just like bad ref calls, bad business does NOT even itself out, with time!
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby Dunnylad » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:45 pm

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
Dunnylad wrote:He had to go, we couldn't wait for his form to return and his last few performances were so below par (pre-season friendlies do not count) that we couldn't persevere with him any longer. He's a player who needs regular football, but he would never get that here & we aren't in a position for players to dip in & out of form (it begs the question what we do with Nasri & Kompany if they don't shape up). Its not as if Edin didn't have blips in form under Mancini, so we cant say its managerial or playing style problems. Not glossing over his achievements, but why have him languishing on the bench when you could have Ian or a.n.other pushing for game time.

Dunnylad, but you are glossing over his achievements, since other than last season's injuries, Edin has scored more than 15 goals, in every season since 2007! How many other players in the world can deliver such prolific consistency?

The friendly against Stuttgart is another perfect example of why City still needs Edin. As a late sub, with zero to play for, Edin scored, while most of the others couldn't! Iheanacho will be replacing Jovetic & not Dzeko, if he stays with the 1st team. City will need at least 4 strikers for the season.

Crossie, selling one of City's best players, at a tremendous price loss, will never be good business, no matter how much time you wait! Just like bad ref calls, bad business does NOT even itself out, with time!

Woah there - 9 goals 2007-08, 6 goals 2014-15 - in terms of playing seasons he hasn't scored 15 goals in every season since 2007 : alright I accept you might have excluded last season, but you can't ignore it when you are trying to explain the prolific goal scoring nature of Edin. He featured 31 times last season, so 6 goals, even from the bench isn't good enough. His time was up he had to go, that's not diminishing what he achieved during his time here.
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Spewed onto the Motorway Shoulder,
I Could Have Been Somebody Special."
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:05 pm

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly with that.

Mind you, Kevin Keegan used to reckon that you needed to have six strikers to ensure adequate cover over the course of a season.

I'd happily compromise on five.......
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:27 pm

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:

Iheanacho is a striker, Dzeko is a striker.

Jovetic is a support striker/attacking wideman, Sterling is a support striker/attacking wideman.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby zuricity » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:38 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:

Jovetic is a support striker/attacking wideman, Sterling is a support striker/attacking wideman.

Iheanacho is a youngster with potential as a striker not even proven in the PL or any other league, Dzeko is a proven striker.

We don't need to let Edin go, but it seems that we are. It is very disappointing from our management and very risky.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Dunnylad » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:49 pm

zuricity wrote:
WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:

Iheanacho is a youngster with potential as a striker not even proven in the PL or any other league, Dzeko is a proven striker.

We don't need to let Edin go, but it seems that we are. It is very disappointing from our management and very risky.

So what did he prove last season? He was injured but so were other players, his goals per game ratio was very poor last year and not sure he is that much of a loss if Bony or Nacho pick up 6 goals between them & I'd consider that a poor return from the pair of them.
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:56 pm

It's risky Zuri, I'll give you that but we're replacing a striker past his peak who all too often last season didn't show the appetite when given his chance with a young striker eager to make a name for himself.

I'll remember Edin fondly for his contribution to our success, at times he was magnificent but he was also one of the most frustrating players I've ever had the pleasure of shouting for.

Besides, it's about time we took some risks with youth.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby PeterParker » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:00 pm

I am a huge fan of Ed, i was before he came here, however, i am really sure we made the right choice.

Ed looks like a washed player that needs a new challenge, even if is hard for some of us to see that. Things like this normally happen in football and we need to understand that. Yeah, Keichi is really gamble, but he has something that Edin doesn't have anymore, the hunger to win things.

We bought in two hungry for trophies players: Delph and Sterling and we lost two that seemed that they done their maximum for us: Jovetic and Edin.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby zuricity » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:02 pm

Dunnylad wrote:
zuricity wrote:
WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:

So what did he prove last season? He was injured but so were other players, his goals per game ratio was very poor last year and not sure he is that much of a loss if Bony or Nacho pick up 6 goals between them & I'd consider that a poor return from the pair of them.

I did look at the City website a while ago just to see actually how many times Edin came on as a sub in those 31 games, but it takes so long to gather the information.

I don't think anyone is doubting that Edin had a poor season, carrying injuries and not getting much time anyway. He still is a great player and we don't need to sell. You say 'if Bony' and it is exactly that , all 'ifs'. What if Bony doesn't produce , Ian too ? Will Ian even get a game ? We knew before we ever got Edin that he was a proven goal scorer. In spite of our ticky-tacky style Edin got goals for us.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Arjan Van Schotte » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:05 pm

Dzeko's a fucking donkey. The quote "and his second touch was always a tackle" WOULD have been invented for him. If he'd ever made a tackle. Traa.
"Whatever it is that we "bought" - we didn't put it up for sale..."

Arjan Van Schotte
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Манчестер Сити

Postby city72 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:10 pm

Aguero taking number 10?.
city72
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester city

Postby Dunnylad » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:19 pm

Zuricity - I take your point as I am concerned about Bony, but imho Edin was gone, no matter whatever his past we cannot keep them based on that. Jovetic went as he was injured too often, Edin had to go based on an increasing number of disinterested performances. Both may excel at other clubs, but imho it would have been foolish to hang onto them both for differing reasons. We don't need to sell, but by doing so helps with FFP & opens the opportunity for youth & we've been crying out for that for sometime. Refreshing the side is good & with better quality more so as it keeps existing players on their toes.
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby zuricity » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:35 pm

Dunnylad wrote:Zuricity - I take your point as I am concerned about Bony, but imho Edin was gone, no matter whatever his past we cannot keep them based on that. Jovetic went as he was injured too often, Edin had to go based on an increasing number of disinterested performances. Both may excel at other clubs, but imho it would have been foolish to hang onto them both for differing reasons. We don't need to sell, but by doing so helps with FFP & opens the opportunity for youth & we've been crying out for that for sometime. Refreshing the side is good & with better quality more so as it keeps existing players on their toes.

I don't disagree with you about him being gone. He isn't the only person that appeared to put in disinterested performances last season though. Even Kun could appear that way at times and we know about yaya. I also don't think we will see too many youngsters get a chance. Refreshing the 'squad' is important and needed. FFP is dead anyway.
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby PrezIke » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:13 pm

Y'all are sleeping on Bony.

He's not a proven goal scorer in the premiership? No more or less than big edin.

Sad to see him leave and always will be grateful for what he contributed, but he is 29 coming off a season where he went something like 6-7 months in between goals for the team.

He is no longer fitting into our style and we need hungry players. Sterling and nacho are more than adequate 3rd strikers for most teams and we have been lucky to have 3 of such quality.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby kinkylola » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:21 pm

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:The friendly against Stuttgart is another perfect example of why City still needs Edin. As a late sub, with zero to play for, Edin scored, while most of the others couldn't! Iheanacho will be replacing Jovetic & not Dzeko, if he stays with the 1st team. City will need at least 4 strikers for the season.

the perfect example of why we need to keep Edin is because he scored a tap in in a meaningless friendly that we had already lost? You think Aguero doesn't make that run in a game? One thing that I see every single pundit and analyst glossing over is how amazing sterling's ability to get past players into the box and cross or cut back to an open player will combine with aguero's movement and finishing.

Last season Dzeko proved to me that he's capable of a lengthy strop. One of the best players at City? You're having a laugh. He's talented and can produce on his day, but the fact that you can gloss over his mental fragility is astounding to me.

I've already thanked him for his contributions and wished him well. He got his checks every week, whether he played or not. Whether he performed or not. When you're on his wages, you're expected to produce, and at City you've got players ready to step up when you're injured or out of form. It's up to you to work hard to deserve to be in the team. Edin didn't do that at all last season. If you want to stay and fight, stay and fight ... but the sight of him coming on as a sub last season did not fill me with any joy. More often than not it led to another apathetic performance, that's unacceptable and it's time that he moved on. Which he has ... so let's wish him well, and concentrate on supporting the exciting young attackers we've added to the team, who actually want to prove how good they are and win trophies.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby kinkylola » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:22 pm

zuricity wrote:
Dunnylad wrote:Zuricity - I take your point as I am concerned about Bony, but imho Edin was gone, no matter whatever his past we cannot keep them based on that. Jovetic went as he was injured too often, Edin had to go based on an increasing number of disinterested performances. Both may excel at other clubs, but imho it would have been foolish to hang onto them both for differing reasons. We don't need to sell, but by doing so helps with FFP & opens the opportunity for youth & we've been crying out for that for sometime. Refreshing the side is good & with better quality more so as it keeps existing players on their toes.

I don't disagree with you about him being gone. He isn't the only person that appeared to put in disinterested performances last season though. Even Kun could appear that way at times and we know about yaya. I also don't think we will see too many youngsters get a chance. Refreshing the 'squad' is important and needed. FFP is dead anyway.

When did aguero look disinterested? fuck me, imagine if he cared ... how many goals would he score then!?
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby kinkylola » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:23 pm

PrezIke wrote:Y'all are sleeping on Bony.

He's not a proven goal scorer in the premiership? No more or less than big edin.

Sad to see him leave and always will be grateful for what he contributed, but he is 29 coming off a season where he went something like 6-7 months in between goals for the team.

He is no longer fitting into our style and we need hungry players. Sterling and nacho are more than adequate 3rd strikers for most teams and we have been lucky to have 3 of such quality.

I think Bony is a great addition to the team and his hold up play is 10x Edin's ... which I think is what our owners mistakenly bought Dzeko for in the first place.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum