' Not clear if Ed will continue'

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ' Not clear if Ed will continue'

Postby mr_nool » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:04 am

If Dzeko and Jovetic both go and we don't bring in a replacement, we might have to start the season with Iheanacho as the only out and out striker.

I did like the top three of Silva, Sterling and him in the Melbourne game, though.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:21 pm

mr_nool wrote:If Dzeko and Jovetic both go and we don't bring in a replacement, we might have to start the season with Iheanacho as the only out and out striker.

I did like the top three of Silva, Sterling and him in the Melbourne game, though.

Me too. A front three like that has promise and the versatility we've been missing I believe.

I hope the staff has examined last season when we had zero strikers and a lot of success because if we'd stuck to that approach more often we'd have put together a real title tilt instead of going out with a whimper.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:24 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
mr_nool wrote:If Dzeko and Jovetic both go and we don't bring in a replacement, we might have to start the season with Iheanacho as the only out and out striker.

Me too. A front three like that has promise and the versatility we've been missing I believe.

I hope the staff has examined last season when we had zero strikers and a lot of success because if we'd stuck to that approach more often we'd have put together a real title tilt instead of going out with a whimper.

Cheers

From my own point of view, I'd much prefer it if the staff would examine the season prior to the last one and endeavour, by all means, to bring in a suitable replacement for Negredo, who was never (properly) replaced.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:05 pm

Mikhail, I agree with your comment completely. There were many differences between City's 2013-2014 double-winning season and this last trophy-less season.

In 2013-2014, Alvaro Negredo contributed 23 goals, in all competitions.
An injury-free Edin Dzeko contributed 26 goals, in all. An injury-free Samir Nasri contributed 11 goals, in all. An injury-free Yaya Toure contributed 24 goals, in all. Also, Fernandinho (5), Navas (6) & Kolarov (4), all contributed more goals in City's title-winning season, than last season.

In 2014-2015, Dzeko and Nasri spent a large part of the season injured and unavailable, for the first time in both their careers! Yaya was also out for part of the season. So, it was largely left to Aguero, Silva, Milner & Lampard to make up the gap and score all the goals that everyone else didn't score, in 2014-15! Goals contributed in all competions for 2014-2015: (Nasri- 3), (Dzeko- 6), (Toure-12).

Aguero (32), Silva (12), Milner (8) were the rarities that scored more last season, than the winning one before. Yes, Lampard also helped with 8 goals... But, this was still not enough to compensate, for the loss of Negredo & all the other player injuries. This was compounded by the concession of more goals, compared to the season before.

In my opinion, these stats & numbers are the clearest proof of why City didn't win the title, despite scoring the most goals in the league. City have decided to sell Dzeko & may be looking to replace him with Gonzalo Higuain. We can only hope this isn't a major mistake.
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby South Stand Balti » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:14 pm

I don't think we have any interest in Higuain. We have Aguero, Bony, sterling and Nacho plus Edin if he stays. I can see Yaya etc contributing more goals again this time though.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:17 pm

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:Mikhail, I agree with your comment completely. There were many differences between City's 2013-2014 double-winning season and this last trophy-less season.

An injury-free Edin Dzeko contributed 26 goals, in all. An injury-free Samir Nasri contributed 11 goals, in all. An injury-free Yaya Toure contributed 24 goals, in all. Also, Fernandinho (5), Navas (6) & Kolarov (4), all contributed more goals in City's title-winning season, than last season.

In 2014-2015, Dzeko and Nasri spent a large part of the season injured and unavailable, for the first time in both their careers! Yaya was also out for part of the season. So, it was largely left to Aguero, Silva, Milner & Lampard to make up the gap and score all the goals that everyone else didn't score, in 2014-15! Goals contributed in all competions for 2014-2015: (Nasri- 3), (Dzeko- 6), (Toure-12).

Aguero (32), Silva (12), Milner (8) were the rarities that scored more last season, than the winning one before. Yes, Lampard also helped with 8 goals... But, this was still not enough to compensate, for the loss of Negredo & all the other player injuries. This was compounded by the concession of more goals, compared to the season before.

In my opinion, these stats & numbers are the clearest proof of why City didn't win the title, despite scoring the most goals in the league. City have decided to sell Dzeko & may be looking to replace him with Gonzalo Higuain. We can only hope this isn't a major mistake.

Excellent compilation of data and analysis.

Well done to you, even though it is quite sobering.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:43 pm

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:Mikhail, I agree with your comment completely. There were many differences between City's 2013-2014 double-winning season and this last trophy-less season.

Bony can contribute over 20 goals in all comps, he also brings the physicality in the opponent's box that Negredo did. I expect to see Sterling bag his fair share too, if we get our reported targets we will have formidable attacking options in midfield. Throw in Nacho and Lopes with their enthusiasm and this has the makings of a very exciting attacking lineup this season.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:52 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Excellent compilation of data and analysis.

Mikhail, it was our shared opinion about not properly replacing Negredo, that inspired the reseach... I'm really glad that it was helpful and of interest.

The optimistic flipside is that there is only one team that has remained in the Top 2 positions, for the last 4 years... No, it's not Chelsea, not Utd, not Liverpool, not Arsenal... Yes, it's City and long may they stay at the top!
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:44 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Bony can contribute over 20 goals in all comps, he also brings the physicality in the opponent's box that Negredo did. I expect to see Sterling bag his fair share too, if we get our reported targets we will have formidable attacking options in midfield. Throw in Nacho and Lopes with their enthusiasm and this has the makings of a very exciting attacking lineup this season.

Foreverinbluedreams, I completely agree with your assessment and expect to see a more successful Wilf Bony. If City do add De Bruyne, or anyone else, they should be OK for both goals & assists. I'm just hoping that City can create a more solid and consistent group of defenders, this coming season.

South Stand Balti wrote:I don't think we have any interest in Higuain. We have Aguero, Bony, sterling and Nacho plus Edin if he stays. I can see Yaya etc contributing more goals again this time though.

South Stand Balti, I'm just repeating what I read about Higuain, from a few sources online. Napoli are a nightmare to negotiate with though. I think that Sterling was considered a replacement for Milner or Jovetic. So, City may still be looking for additional strikers, since Iheanacho is under 21 and still leaves additional foreign slots available.
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Postby sheblue » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:06 pm

Would hold on to Ed in the short term. Aguero and Bony may not be ready for the start of the season.
Higuain is very over-rated and can stay where he is.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Dameerto » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:15 pm

sheblue wrote:Would hold on to Ed in the short term. Aguero and Bony may not be ready for the start of the season.
Higuain is very over-rated and can stay where he is.

Plus he's used us several times in the past for contract renewals - so fucl him.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:22 pm

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:Excellent compilation of data and analysis.

Mikhail, it was our shared opinion about not properly replacing Negredo, that inspired the reseach... I'm really glad that it was helpful and of interest.

The optimistic flipside is that there is only one team that has remained in the Top 2 positions, for the last 4 years... No, it's not Chelsea, not Utd, not Liverpool, not Arsenal... Yes, it's City and long may they stay at the top!

but honestly we've replaced Negredo literally with Bony. So, heading into this season we should have that base covered. Bony should do on par with what Negredo did if he plays regularly imho.

Now it's replacing the outgoing Jojo and Jayko and i think we'll only be in for one more striker if both go. Sterling really is viewed I believe as a striker, or a false 9, or a No 10, whatever you want to fucking call it on the day depending on who else he plays with. He'll play up front, obviously. And will likely be one of the first names on the team sheet.

cheers

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby kinkylola » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:31 pm

I think that signing an aging, expensive striker would be the worst thing we could do right now ... and if that means we start the season with sterling/nacho as our only strikers, i'm ok with that and what it means for the philosophy of our team going forward. Higuain doesn't fit our system, doesn't fit our philosophy and is a fucking bottler besides. no thank you.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby nottsblue » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 pm

kinkylola wrote:I think that signing an aging, expensive striker would be the worst thing we could do right now ... and if that means we start the season with sterling/nacho as our only strikers, i'm ok with that and what it means for the philosophy of our team going forward. Higuain doesn't fit our system, doesn't fit our philosophy and is a fucking bottler besides. no thank you.

Amen.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby zuricity » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:22 am

We would be stupid to let go of a PL proven goalscorer. Still in his twenties.

Whilst the youngsters are looking good, we still have a good mix of youth and mature players.

We don't need to sell anyone, so we can confidently use a combination of resources to meet the tournament. We are in four again,so we will need all options. Especially as we know from previous seasons , kun will have fitness issues.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:49 am

zuricity wrote:We would be stupid to let go of a PL proven goalscorer. Still in his twenties.

Whilst the youngsters are looking good, we still have a good mix of youth and mature players.

We don't need to sell anyone, so we can confidently use a combination of resources to meet the tournament. We are in four again,so we will need all options. Especially as we know from previous seasons , kun will have fitness issues.

What's the point in keeping a player that doesn't want to be here?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:02 am

i don't care about his scoring streaks.
the way he has carried himself in more than half the games he has played has been a fucking disgrace. thinks he's better than he is. thanks for the important goals he scored but good riddance in my book.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Slim » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:32 am

kinkylola wrote:I think that signing an aging, expensive striker would be the worst thing we could do right now ... and if that means we start the season with sterling/nacho as our only strikers, i'm ok with that and what it means for the philosophy of our team going forward. Higuain doesn't fit our system, doesn't fit our philosophy and is a fucking bottler besides. no thank you.

But but but....Zlatan?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby sheblue » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:32 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:i don't care about his scoring streaks.
the way he has carried himself in more than half the games he has played has been a fucking disgrace. thinks he's better than he is. thanks for the important goals he scored but good riddance in my book.

Tend to agree, his attitude/effort/interest for a considerable portion of games is awful. But if Bony and Aguero are not ready we might need him to stick around short term, i.e. until the end of August.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby dazby » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:42 am

Nope. He needs to go now for his own sake. Nacho, Sterling, the other kids. We have enough in our stocks.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum