' Not clear if Ed will continue'

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ' Not clear if Ed will continue'

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:52 pm

zuricity wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
Dunnylad wrote:He had to go, we couldn't wait for his form to return and his last few performances were so below par (pre-season friendlies do not count) that we couldn't persevere with him any longer. He's a player who needs regular football, but he would never get that here & we aren't in a position for players to dip in & out of form (it begs the question what we do with Nasri & Kompany if they don't shape up). Its not as if Edin didn't have blips in form under Mancini, so we cant say its managerial or playing style problems. Not glossing over his achievements, but why have him languishing on the bench when you could have Ian or a.n.other pushing for game time.

Dunnylad, but you are glossing over his achievements, since other than last season's injuries, Edin has scored more than 15 goals, in every season since 2007! How many other players in the world can deliver such prolific consistency?

The friendly against Stuttgart is another perfect example of why City still needs Edin. As a late sub, with zero to play for, Edin scored, while most of the others couldn't! Iheanacho will be replacing Jovetic & not Dzeko, if he stays with the 1st team. City will need at least 4 strikers for the season.

Crossie wrote:It comes down to good business over a period of time.

Crossie, selling one of City's best players, at a tremendous price loss, will never be good business, no matter how much time you wait! Just like bad ref calls, bad business does NOT even itself out, with time!

Iheanacho is a striker, Dzeko is a striker.

Jovetic is a support striker/attacking wideman, Sterling is a support striker/attacking wideman.

Iheanacho is a youngster with potential as a striker not even proven in the PL or any other league, Dzeko is a proven striker.

We don't need to let Edin go, but it seems that we are. It is very disappointing from our management and very risky.

Nacho nacho man has more in his locker than Jayko ever did. He could be a world beater.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby PrezIke » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:09 pm

kinkylola wrote:
PrezIke wrote:Y'all are sleeping on Bony.

He's not a proven goal scorer in the premiership? No more or less than big edin.

Sad to see him leave and always will be grateful for what he contributed, but he is 29 coming off a season where he went something like 6-7 months in between goals for the team.

He is no longer fitting into our style and we need hungry players. Sterling and nacho are more than adequate 3rd strikers for most teams and we have been lucky to have 3 of such quality.

I think Bony is a great addition to the team and his hold up play is 10x Edin's ... which I think is what our owners mistakenly bought Dzeko for in the first place.

Eggsacktly.

He fits far more into what we are trying to do utilising his incredible strength in that area, but also his underrated vision to accompany all of our clever passes and creative play. Give him a run of games, then we shall see.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby zuricity » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:15 pm

kinkylola wrote:

He's not a proven goal scorer in the premiership? No more or less than big edin.

Sad to see him leave and always will be grateful for what he contributed, but he is 29 coming off a season where he went something like 6-7 months in between goals for the team.

He is no longer fitting into our style and we need hungry players. Sterling and nacho are more than adequate 3rd strikers for most teams and we have been lucky to have 3 of such quality.

I think Bony is a great addition to the team and his hold up play is 10x Edin's ... which I think is what our owners mistakenly bought Dzeko for in the first place.

Can't agree with you about Bony. He played in 10 games after signing and started only 2 of those. Some on here were accusing him of holding up the game at times rather than hold up play. He seemed a bit lethargic at times. 10x better hold up play ? , well I don't think so.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:59 am

kinkylola wrote:
WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:City will need at least 4 completely different types of strikers, as well as more
goalscoring attacking forwards/midfielders, for the season.

...the perfect example of why we need to keep Edin is because he scored a tap in in a meaningless friendly that we had already lost?

Kinkylola, I guess you're conveniently ignoring just how many times Edin was subbed on and scored a crucial goal, in matches that counted. City may certainly regret Edin's departure on opening day, if Aguero, Silva & Nasri haven't fully recovered by then. Edin's 72 goals and 39 assists, in all competitions for City, will now have to be replaced from somewhere else.

I wish I could share your blind faith, that it's OK to sell Edin, before we have seen Sterling, Delph, Bony, Iheanacho and any other replacements, scoring regularly for City. Dunnylad doubted the Dzeko stats I had posted earlier. So, here are 3 links, to compare Edin's stats with:
http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/edin-dze ... eler/28396

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/24845/ ... Edin-Dzeko

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edin_D%C5%BEeko
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby kinkylola » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:05 am

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
kinkylola wrote:
WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:City will need at least 4 completely different types of strikers, as well as more

...the perfect example of why we need to keep Edin is because he scored a tap in in a meaningless friendly that we had already lost?

Kinkylola, I guess you're conveniently ignoring just how many times Edin was subbed on and scored a crucial goal, in matches that counted. City may certainly regret Edin's departure on opening day, if Aguero, Silva & Nasri haven't fully recovered by then. Edin's 72 goals and 39 assists, in all competitions for City, will now have to be replaced from somewhere else.

I wish I could share your blind faith, that it's OK to sell Edin, before we have seen Sterling, Delph, Bony, Iheanacho and any other replacements, scoring regularly for City. Dunnylad doubted the Dzeko stats I had posted earlier. So, here are 3 links, to compare Edin's stats with:

Ed certainly scored in the past. I celebrated it then, and I thanked him again recently. Great part of city history. He doesn't seem to fit the team style or mentality going forward, imo. We're getting a fee for him and moving his wages on. His first touch and his on field apathy won't be missed.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:43 am

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
kinkylola wrote:

I used that link you provided to work out that in the PL Dzeko has scored a goal every 142 mins.

Using the same site Bony has a PL goal every 145 mins.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:19 am

When i leaves i hope he keeps his dignity and says nice things and doesnt be a cunt.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:51 am

kinkylola wrote:

I'm pretty sure 'our owners' bought Dzeko to score goals. Which he did. No mistakes there.
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby blues2win » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:12 am

Edin landing at Rome airport at 7.25 pm Italian time according to the Italian press. Sounds like the medical will take place tomorrow. Pellegrini very clear we aren't bringing in another striker.
blues2win
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby john@staustell » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:34 am

I Just Blue Myself wrote:
kinkylola wrote:

I'm pretty sure 'our owners' bought Dzeko to score goals. Which he did. No mistakes there.

Absolutely right mate. Dzeko scored some very vital goals in both League (two) and FA Cup wins (I think we were about to get knocked out at Leicester or somewhere). I dont think it's unreasonable to say that we couldn't have done it without him.

But last season it was clear those days were over. He couldn't trap a ball, hold a ball, pass a ball, shoot or score. ABsolutely useless to be brutal but football is harsh - he's had his good times and medals and we have had the best of him.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby City64 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:45 am

Has he fucked off yet ?
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby WhyAlwaysMe? » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:46 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
Dunnylad wrote:He had to go, we couldn't wait for his form to return and his last few performances were so below par (pre-season friendlies do not count) that we couldn't persevere with him any longer. He's a player who needs regular football, but he would never get that here & we aren't in a position for players to dip in & out of form (it begs the question what we do with Nasri & Kompany if they don't shape up)... Not glossing over his achievements, but why have him languishing on the bench when you could have Ian or a.n.other pushing for game time.

Dunnylad, but you are glossing over his achievements, since other than last season's injuries, Edin has scored more than 15 goals, in every season since 2008! How many other players in the world can deliver such prolific consistency?

The friendly against Stuttgart is another perfect example of why City still needs Edin. Bony was a replacement for Negredo. Iheanacho will be replacing Jovetic & not Dzeko, if he stays with the 1st team. City will need at least 4 different types of strikers for the season.

Crossie, selling one of City's best players, at a tremendous price loss, will never be good business, no matter how much time you wait! Just like bad ref calls, bad business does NOT even itself out, with time!

I agree wholeheartedly with that.

Mind you, Kevin Keegan used to reckon that you needed to have six strikers to ensure adequate cover over the course of a season.
I'd happily compromise on five.......

Mikhail, many thanks for the reminder, that in the Keegan days, even though the club was much poorer, City kept a larger squad, as back up and reserve players.

More recently, foreign player quotas, homegrown changes & the EDS replacing City's reserve team, have often left City struggling to find adequate coverage, when too many players are out injured, in the same position. When City needed some of the EDS kids to fill in, many of the best were out on loan & unavailable, to fill in.

Only 4 strikers have currently scored more than Dzeko, in the Premier League. That means it will cost a fortune to buy a replacement, with that kind of scoring record. A relegated QPR is demanding 15 million pounds for Charlie Austin... 1 million more, than City might eventually receive for Edin Dzeko!

I guess it came down to whether one believes that Edin will regain his goalscoring form & the odds are that he will. I would have kept Edin, got him scoring again & then, if he is still unwanted by the management in May, they could actually get another club to pay 20 million pounds, or more for him!
WhyAlwaysMe?
Superman's Underpants

My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby PrezIke » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:29 pm

blues2win wrote:Edin landing at Rome airport at 7.25 pm Italian time according to the Italian press. Sounds like the medical will take place tomorrow. Pellegrini very clear we aren't bringing in another striker.

Makes sense to me. We have enough. Ieanacho is going to get some chances, perhaps right away, as will Sterling if needs be. We went most of the season last year with 2 anyway. Not that this was helpful, but the two forwards being shown the door didn't do much to help us last year anyway.

Sure, losing Jayko is a sad moment, but folks have been clamoring for our young players to get time on the pitch, and Nachoman surely deserves a chance now.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby blues2win » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:55 pm

Just seen a pic of Edin at Manchester airport. May get a quote from him on arrival in Rome in a couple of hours.

Quite agree that a striker is not our priority especially as we're pretty crap at high crosses. We may miss Edin most for his defensive headed work. Quite a lot of small players likely in the team this season.

Priority for the club is clearly midfield. If not De Bruyne would we be interested in Gotze? Bild suggests he might come loose for 40 million euros.
blues2win

Postby Mase » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:44 pm

Dzeko is the modern day Goater.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Paul68 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:25 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
zuricity wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
Dunnylad wrote:He had to go, we couldn't wait for his form to return and his last few performances were so below par (pre-season friendlies do not count) that we couldn't persevere with him any longer. He's a player who needs regular football, but he would never get that here & we aren't in a position for players to dip in & out of form (it begs the question what we do with Nasri & Kompany if they don't shape up). Its not as if Edin didn't have blips in form under Mancini, so we cant say its managerial or playing style problems. Not glossing over his achievements, but why have him languishing on the bench when you could have Ian or a.n.other pushing for game time.

Dunnylad, but you are glossing over his achievements, since other than last season's injuries, Edin has scored more than 15 goals, in every season since 2007! How many other players in the world can deliver such prolific consistency?

The friendly against Stuttgart is another perfect example of why City still needs Edin. As a late sub, with zero to play for, Edin scored, while most of the others couldn't! Iheanacho will be replacing Jovetic & not Dzeko, if he stays with the 1st team. City will need at least 4 strikers for the season.

Iheanacho is a striker, Dzeko is a striker.

Jovetic is a support striker/attacking wideman, Sterling is a support striker/attacking wideman.

Iheanacho is a youngster with potential as a striker not even proven in the PL or any other league, Dzeko is a proven striker.

We don't need to let Edin go, but it seems that we are. It is very disappointing from our management and very risky.

Nacho nacho man has more in his locker than Jayko ever did. He could be a world beater.

Cheers

This...
watch this space - the doomster is spot on on this...
I wish there was a way to know you are in the good old days....before you've actually left them...
Paul68
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: All the 17-18!

Postby patrickblue » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:52 pm

Mase wrote:Dzeko is the modern day Goater.

He would be if he put the effort in all the time, instead of going off on what appear to be sulks, when things aren't going his way.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby blues2win » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:14 pm

Pictures from Di Marzio of Dzeko waving at excited Roma fans on his arrival at the airport. Less than a day before he becomes a Roma player.
blues2win

Postby kinkylola » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:44 pm

WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
WhyAlwaysMe? wrote:
Dunnylad wrote:He had to go, we couldn't wait for his form to return and his last few performances were so below par (pre-season friendlies do not count) that we couldn't persevere with him any longer. He's a player who needs regular football, but he would never get that here & we aren't in a position for players to dip in & out of form (it begs the question what we do with Nasri & Kompany if they don't shape up)... Not glossing over his achievements, but why have him languishing on the bench when you could have Ian or a.n.other pushing for game time.

Dunnylad, but you are glossing over his achievements, since other than last season's injuries, Edin has scored more than 15 goals, in every season since 2008! How many other players in the world can deliver such prolific consistency?

The friendly against Stuttgart is another perfect example of why City still needs Edin. Bony was a replacement for Negredo. Iheanacho will be replacing Jovetic & not Dzeko, if he stays with the 1st team. City will need at least 4 different types of strikers for the season.

I agree wholeheartedly with that.

Mind you, Kevin Keegan used to reckon that you needed to have six strikers to ensure adequate cover over the course of a season.
I'd happily compromise on five.......

Mikhail, many thanks for the reminder, that in the Keegan days, even though the club was much poorer, City kept a larger squad, as back up and reserve players.

More recently, foreign player quotas, homegrown changes & the EDS replacing City's reserve team, have often left City struggling to find adequate coverage, when too many players are out injured, in the same position. When City needed some of the EDS kids to fill in, many of the best were out on loan & unavailable, to fill in.

Only 4 strikers have currently scored more than Dzeko, in the Premier League. That means it will cost a fortune to buy a replacement, with that kind of scoring record. A relegated QPR is demanding 15 million pounds for Charlie Austin... 1 million more, than City might eventually receive for Edin Dzeko!

I guess it came down to whether one believes that Edin will regain his goalscoring form & the odds are that he will. I would have kept Edin, got him scoring again & then, if he is still unwanted by the management in May, they could actually get another club to pay 20 million pounds, or more for him!

Charlie Austin is English, and looked a more talented, dedicated and INTERESTED player than Dzeko has done, in a far worse team. Of course he'll go for more.

Besides the fact that we have already bought a replacement for Dzeko in Bony ... and added Sterling and potentially KDB who are going to pass out assists like Bill Cosby passing out jello shots at a house party. We've officially promoted 3 academy players to the first team, one of which is a striker that fits our play style, who along with Sterling, will back up our 2 main strikers in a 4-3-3 formation (if rumors are to be believed). Dzeko has no place in the anymore, doesn't fit in and didn't produce last season ... which was a chance for him to prove himself. He prefers to sulk. You can have all the talent in the world, if you don't have the will to apply it, you probably won't last at City.

You're the sour type that will bemoan Dzeko being gone even if Bony scores 20+.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Mase » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:01 pm

patrickblue wrote:
Mase wrote:Dzeko is the modern day Goater.

He would be if he put the effort in all the time, instead of going off on what appear to be sulks, when things aren't going his way.

I just meant technically he's dog shit. He's just a goalscorer and that's all he's on the pitch to do. Both of them have scored very important goals for City in their time.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum