Football Media

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Football Media

Postby PrezIke » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:12 pm

mr_nool wrote:
PrezIke wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:This fella has gone to the length of saying what

http://www.thedaisycutter.co.uk/2016/04 ... -disgrace/?

Howard Hockin commented on media bias towards City in his weekly editorial for the BM podcast for about 10 minutes, and went over several of the same issues quite well, showing how ridiculously inconsistent and biased the coverage is:

http://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/podcast/epis ... 2-Hoop.mp3

I imagine he often has a good point, but I'm rarely able to keep my focus long enough to find out.
He surely must be tha man with the most boring voice in world history.

Agreed on his voice, and delivery. It surely is not even close to radio-quality, but the content is usually good.

I think one important variable he left out about why the other big clubs before us are so celebrated is the impact of the FIFA video game franchise on developing a fanbase.

I admit, it helped me learn about European/World football far more than the Internet did, and I am gathering this is the same for many Yanks who became supporters of Arsenal, United, Liverpool and Chelsea. Most video game players who don't have a favourite club choose the best clubs to play the game so you can win. You don't pick Blackburn or Leeds when you don't know any of their players, unless you are a rare type of video gamer.

You pick the clubs with the 4 1/2 or 5 star ratings so you can win, and play the stars you know from the World Cup or European Championships you saw on telly, which was the only real way to see these players "live" other than if you paid huge sums to go to a summer tour match some big clubs started then. The WC has been broadcast here since 1994, and the Euros in 2004, I believe was the first time. All of those clubs came into their peaks during those years whilst we were clearly not.

The FIFA video game series, however, must be helping our fanbase grow now, although I could see the way the newer version keeps actual injured players out of the squad if you are connected online being something that hurts us since we are constantly losing our best players to injury (I played with my 5 year old nephew as my brother in law has the game -- I don't -- who played as us a few weeks ago, but there was no KDB, no Kompany, no Sterling, etc.) Pro Evolution, which I recall was preferred by quite a few for being more realistic, was not sold in the U.S. for a long time, but FM is clearly a game that has grown in popularity, yet is not really for the casual fan.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby mr_nool » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:22 pm

PrezIke wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
PrezIke wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:This fella has gone to the length of saying what

http://www.thedaisycutter.co.uk/2016/04 ... -disgrace/?

Howard Hockin commented on media bias towards City in his weekly editorial for the BM podcast for about 10 minutes, and went over several of the same issues quite well, showing how ridiculously inconsistent and biased the coverage is:

http://bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/podcast/epis ... 2-Hoop.mp3

I imagine he often has a good point, but I'm rarely able to keep my focus long enough to find out.
He surely must be tha man with the most boring voice in world history.

Agreed on his voice, and delivery. It surely is not even close to radio-quality, but the content is usually good.

I think one important variable he left out about why the other big clubs before us are so celebrated is the impact of the FIFA video game franchise on developing a fanbase.

I admit, it helped me learn about European/World football far more than the Internet did, and I am gathering this is the same for many Yanks who became supporters of Arsenal, United, Liverpool and Chelsea. Most video game players who don't have a favourite club choose the best clubs to play the game so you can win. You don't pick Blackburn or Leeds when you don't know any of their players, unless you are a rare type of video gamer.

You pick the clubs with the 4 1/2 or 5 star ratings so you can win, and play the stars you know from the World Cup or European Championships you saw on telly, which was the only real way to see these players "live" other than if you paid huge sums to go to a summer tour match some big clubs started then. The WC has been broadcast here since 1994, and the Euros in 2004, I believe was the first time. All of those clubs came into their peaks during those years whilst we were clearly not.

The FIFA video game series, however, must be helping our fanbase grow now, although I could see the way the newer version keeps actual injured players out of the squad if you are connected online being something that hurts us since we are constantly losing our best players to injury (I played with my 5 year old nephew who played as us a few weeks ago, but there was no KDB, no Kompany, no Sterling, etc.) Pro Evolution, which I recall was preferred by quite a few for being more realistic, was not sold in the U.S. for a long time, but FM is clearly a game that has grown in popularity, yet is not really for the casual fan.

I always played with Hartford Whalers in NHL 95 on the Sega Mega Drive, and they sort of became my favourite NHL team (very poor choice, since they folded not long after), so I get your point. I've always gone for the underdog, though, hence City!
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby MUS » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:10 pm

I wonder whether we would have the same treatment if you changed the nationality of our owners from the UAE to the USA.

Would we still be demonised as much?
CENTURIONS
MUS
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby PrezIke » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:42 pm

MUS wrote:I wonder whether we would have the same treatment if you changed the nationality of our owners from the UAE to the USA.

Would we still be demonised as much?

Surely, you jest! Impossible that this would ever have to do with attitudes of some fans being xenophobic since there is no history of that in sport whatsoever.

Swansea's new prospective owners are Americans with hedge fund backgrounds of the shady kind, with a record for not being well liked and having questionable agendas regarding ownership (So said a Guardian journalist on the Football Weekly podcast, warning their fans of this). Wonder if the same concerns will lead other fans to dislike them...
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:50 pm

london blue 2 wrote:Probably a strategic move, England tweet was quickly followed by this :

That means we have players in the last four of both the @EuropaLeague and @ChampionsLeague following @MCFC's excellent win on Tuesday!

That was put out after a reaction from City fans to their dipper post. Personally, I couldn't give a fuck about the FA or England.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby everyonehatesus » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:32 pm

BoltFromTheBlue wrote:I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that twat Jake Humphrey.

"We have to praise City, as hard as it is..."

Knob.

You have to remember that Jake humphrey is a massive cunt, I was very lucky to stopping in the BRDC area for the F1 weekend. Full pass's for vips only and some of the best action money can't buy including the BRDC ball, all he did was make snidenremarks about and against Lewis Hamilton as he didn't want to spend anytime with this fuck wit. He sucked balls of the like as nico rosberg because he would actuallym talk to him for getting the fact that the prick brushed passed everyone with his body guards refusing to sign any autographs but again this was ok because he got to talk to him. He then rubbished Lewis later at any given chance, he simply is a prick that fell lucky with his job and will pander to anyone that gives him the time of day. A truly Perthic cunt that has no spine or real opinion.
everyonehatesus
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Woodyblue » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:57 pm

Woodyblue
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mario Ballotelli

Postby Hazy2 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:39 am

Where there is jealousy there is envy where there is envy there is bitterness. The table has turned.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby london blue 2 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:35 am

I fairness I didn't see the mass media overdrive I expected from the dippers result. Friday was all about our draw. Saying that I wasn't hunting, just viewing the normal media sites BBC Ssn etc.

BT are a different level. They make sky look good. They're recruitment strategy is shockingly one sided and then they expect people to believe that they are impartial.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby South Stand Balti » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:59 am

The media dislike for City is simply the result of the people in the media. There is no other reason, it's nothing to do with where our owners are from. Chelsea, Dippers, Rags, Us etc are all owned by rich foreigners who have spent hundreds of millions of pounds. They are no different. But the face of football is Owen, Thompson, Lawrenson, Hansen, McManaman, Fowler, Redknapp, Carragher, Souness etc. They all played for Luverpool. They are so pissed off that we are bigger than them now and we win the league etc. We can take their players when we want etc. The tide has turned so their jealousy is unleashed by discrediting our rise whilst simply ignoring the £300m Bodgers spent in 3 years whilst winning fuck all. The last time we were relegated our average attendance was the same as theirs. It would be great, simply to provide some balance, if someone simply pointed out these facts to the general public.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:02 pm

All I can do is not give any of these cunts my money. None of them. Cant even remember when I last bought a "newspaper"..and only would have done that to break into a tenner. I now buy a yoghurt or something like that instead.
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby PrezIke » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:07 pm

Bianchi on Ice wrote:All I can do is not give any of these cunts my money. None of them. Cant even remember when I last bought a "newspaper"..and only would have done that to break into a tenner. I now buy a yoghurt or something like that instead.

Better for your health in more ways than one.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Dameerto » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:12 pm

The first fucking sentence from the guy commenting on the action in our game on MOTD and he finishes it with the value of our players in the starting eleven.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:15 pm

Dameerto wrote:The first fucking sentence from the guy commenting on the action in our game on MOTD and he finishes it with the value of our players in the starting eleven.

We are deeply evil, better accept it.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby nottsblue » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:26 pm

Fair play to Trevor Sinclair. Just casually threw in that Kun has 20 PL goals, again, and has been overlooked for POTY again. Linekar shat it and just mumbled quite, and moved on
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Sister of fu » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:26 pm

MOTD was good tonight. Trevor is very pro city but so was Jenas who said it was a "masterclass"
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby london blue 2 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:28 pm

Dameerto wrote:The first fucking sentence from the guy commenting on the action in our game on MOTD and he finishes it with the value of our players in the starting eleven.

Thought he was quite complementary throughout. Even saying are you watching Madrid.

Sinclair is class. Spot on. And fair play from jenas. Thought we were awesome rather than Chelsea poor.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Dameerto » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:32 pm

london blue 2 wrote:

Thought he was quite complementary throughout. Even saying are you watching Madrid.

Sinclair is class. Spot on. And fair play from jenas. Thought we were awesome rather than Chelsea poor.

How many other teams tonight have had the value of their starting eleven quoted by the commentator? How many teams other than City ever have the value of their starting eleven quoted? It's not the tone of his commentary that I am annoyed with, it's the fact that he needs to mention the value. And only ever Man City's value.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby nottsblue » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:35 pm

Oh, and a message to the wife beating, dogging aficionado and general cunt on Talkshite.

Your shite team have gone. Close the door on your way out you classless disgrace of a man
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Spurge » Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:36 pm

nottsblue wrote:Fair play to Trevor Sinclair. Just casually threw in that Kun has 20 PL goals, again, and has been overlooked for POTY again. Linekar shat it and just mumbled quite, and moved on

I think the fox in the box said 'indeed' but very much in the mumbled tone you suggest. No doubt he was keen to move the conversation on.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum