Football Media

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Football Media

Postby phips » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:28 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
phips wrote:explain

Explain what exactly?

here i was thinking that headlines are supposed to grab people's attention, draw them in, and get them to read the story.
so, inflammatory headlines like this are normal and to be expected.

not at all clear on why this is trolling journalism. its just journalism. the headline isn't a lie, its just omitting something. something that you find out by...you guessed it...reading the article, which is the whole point.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:42 pm

phips wrote:
phips wrote:explain

Explain what exactly?

here i was thinking that headlines are supposed to grab people's attention, draw them in, and get them to read the story.
so, inflammatory headlines like this are normal and to be expected.

not at all clear on why this is trolling journalism. its just journalism. the headline isn't a lie, its just omitting something. something that you find out by...you guessed it...reading the article, which is the whole point.

Now you are just acting the dick. WW explained enough for anyone.... It is trolling 'Journalism' whether it's what you expect nowadays or not.
You bring a lot of flak on yourself by picking non-existent arguments. I'm starting to believe that is what you like.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby bigblue » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:45 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:Now you are just acting the dick. WW explained enough for anyone.... It is trolling 'Journalism' whether it's what you expect nowadays or not.
You bring a lot of flak on yourself by picking non-existent arguments. I'm starting to believe that is what you like.

There's always some dimwit who thinks they need to constantly play devil's advocate. bridgesrightfoot used to be a good example, now we have this pipsqueek.

News flash phips: you're not being witty, you're not adding balance or a unique opinion to the discussion, you're just being a tiresome cunt.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Original Dub » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:20 pm

bigblue wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:Now you are just acting the dick. WW explained enough for anyone.... It is trolling 'Journalism' whether it's what you expect nowadays or not.

There's always some dimwit who thinks they need to constantly play devil's advocate. bridgesrightfoot used to be a good example, now we have this pipsqueek.

News flash phips: you're not being witty, you're not adding balance or a unique opinion to the discussion, you're just being a tiresome cunt.

Annnnnd he's instantly picking up the slack now that the other WUM is gone.
Original Dub

Postby The Maine Man » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:47 pm

Yahoo Sports News article on 'How Klopp instilled a winning culture at Anfield'. So three wins on he bounce and it's a culture?!
The Maine Man
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby gillie » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:35 pm

The Maine Man wrote:Yahoo Sports News article on 'How Klopp instilled a winning culture at Anfield'. So three wins on he bounce and it's a culture?!

3 that's fuck all (Brenda) Suarez won 14 on the bounce one time or another did'nt he:)
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Tokyo Blue » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:54 am

phips wrote:not at all clear on why this is trolling journalism. its just journalism. the headline isn't a lie, its just omitting something. something that you find out by...you guessed it...reading the article, which is the whole point.

A journal is a record of an event (originally one day's events), a journalist is one who records events and journalism is the recording of events. Omitting factual parts of an event is not journalism. It is bias and completely against the whole ethos of what journalism is.

Getting you to perform an action, click, read, buy etc. is advertising and promotion.

The point of journalism is to present facts. Do you dispute this?
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby phips » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:16 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:
phips wrote:not at all clear on why this is trolling journalism. its just journalism. the headline isn't a lie, its just omitting something. something that you find out by...you guessed it...reading the article, which is the whole point.

A journal is a record of an event (originally one day's events), a journalist is one who records events and journalism is the recording of events. Omitting factual parts of an event is not journalism. It is bias and completely against the whole ethos of what journalism is.

Getting you to perform an action, click, read, buy etc. is advertising and promotion.

not in the least. i don't believe the article in question omitted facts. there were quotes included. i'm assuming the "issue" here is that the title makes Aguero's departure sound like a certainty while the actual article itself and Aguero's quotes include qualifiers like "if everything goes as planned" that inherently convey uncertainty.

titles of articles, however, are completely different from journalism. their purpose is to attract attention, just like book covers or movie trailers. their sole purpose is advertising.

i guess i should've learned to expect this type of knee-jerk, short-sided reaction on here to something like this article. i won't comment on it/wind-up people (apparently) any longer.
(not referring to your thoughtful post Tokyo)

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:47 am

phips wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:

not in the least. i don't believe the article in question omitted facts. there were quotes included. i'm assuming the "issue" here is that the title makes Aguero's departure sound like a certainty while the actual article itself and Aguero's quotes include qualifiers like "if everything goes as planned" that inherently convey uncertainty.

titles of articles, however, are completely different from journalism. their purpose is to attract attention, just like book covers or movie trailers. their sole purpose is advertising.

i guess i should've learned to expect this type of knee-jerk, short-sided reaction on here to something like this article. i won't comment on it/wind-up people (apparently) any longer.

I don't normally get involved in stuff as most propel manage to say i Better than I could, but........

A serious question, every post you make causes multiple people to insult you and question your loyalty. Nobody ever agrees with your point of view and it never results in sensible discussion. What is the actual gain for you coming on here? If I went somewhere and every single person there hated me, and I wasn't being paid to be there, I'd leave. Is that not the normal reaction to that kind of situation?
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:46 am

phips wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:

The titles are part of the article therefore part of journalism.

You use book covers and movie trailers to try back up your point, let me ask you this, do these covers or trailers misrepresent what the content is? No they fucking don't and if they did said book or movie would get heavily criticised for misleading the consumer,

Do you get it now?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby mr_nool » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:52 am

phips wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:

You use book covers and movie trailers to try back up your point, let me ask you this, do these covers or trailers misrepresent what the content is? No they fucking don't and if they did said book or movie would get heavily criticised for misleading the consumer,

Do you get it now?

The headlines are usually not written by the writer, though, but by a sub-editor. he's of course also a journalist of sorts, but he has a different agenda to the writer (getting "clicks" / selling papers rather than "presenting facts").

Also, saying that a journalist can't omit facts is just wrong. A journalist's job is to sieve through the facts and present those he/she deems relevant. If no facts were to be omitted the simplest article would quicly turn into a boring and very long book.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Mase » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:43 am

mr_nool wrote:
phips wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:

Do you get it now?

The headlines are usually not written by the writer, though, but by a sub-editor. he's of course also a journalist of sorts, but he has a different agenda to the writer (getting "clicks" / selling papers rather than "presenting facts").

Also, saying that a journalist can't omit facts is just wrong. A journalist's job is to sieve through the facts and present those he/she deems relevant. If no facts were to be omitted the simplest article would quicly turn into a boring and very long book.

Phips licker!

;)
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:17 am

mr_nool wrote:
phips wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:

Do you get it now?

It's irrelevant really who writes the headline, it's still wrong and is rightly criticised.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Tokyo Blue » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:56 pm

mr_nool wrote:Also, saying that a journalist can't omit facts is just wrong. A journalist's job is to sieve through the facts and present those he/she deems relevant. If no facts were to be omitted the simplest article would quicly turn into a boring and very long book.

I disagree. Being deliberately selective with facts to suit your own previously determined agenda is biased and unacceptable in my view.

As you can imagine, I don't read the papers much.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Original Dub » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:05 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
mr_nool wrote:Also, saying that a journalist can't omit facts is just wrong. A journalist's job is to sieve through the facts and present those he/she deems relevant. If no facts were to be omitted the simplest article would quicly turn into a boring and very long book.

I disagree. Being deliberately selective with facts to suit your own previously determined agenda is biased and unacceptable in my view.

I believe it's called propaganda. And it has worked for quite a long time now.

But it can NEVER be called proper journalism.
Original Dub

Postby mr_nool » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:44 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:

I believe it's called propaganda. And it has worked for quite a long time now.

But it can NEVER be called proper journalism.

This is aimed at both you and Tokyo:

Of course journalism can be used as a propagande tool, but even the most unbiassed journalist has to make a selection of which facts to present.
If I present myself by saying "I'm nool, i'm 37 and live in Holland" I have presented three facts, but have chosen to omit about a million other ones, such that I'm 6'1 tall, wiegh 81 kilos, have a cat called muhamed, and that I like to watch Bulgarian midget porn. That's a selection i have to make, or my presentation will never fucking end.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:21 pm

Cool cat name! Why?
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby phips » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:34 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:A serious question, every post you make causes multiple people to insult you and question your loyalty.

people's (Original Douche's) opinion of my loyalty mean fuck all to me. they think their loyalty is better than mine because: A. they've been fans longer and/or B. they're from Manchester, which is unbelievably naive and xenophobic.

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:Nobody ever agrees with your point of view

i dont care. this is a forum. im not here to spout ideas and hope people blindly agree with me so i feel good about myself

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:it never results in sensible discussion.

and if you go back and read them all you'll see that 95% of them turn to insensible discussion due to other people, not me. (case in point: the irrational response in "3 billion club" thread)

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:What is the actual gain for you coming on here?

i enjoy reading user's posts (when they're not stupid ones in response to mine)

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:If I went somewhere and every single person there hated me, and I wasn't being paid to be there, I'd leave. Is that not the normal reaction to that kind of situation?

this is a forum. why should i care what random people on the internet think of me?
plus, i had left a few years ago but OD cared about my "disappearance" and wondered where i was (such compassion). so here i still am. blame him.
Last edited by phips on Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby mr_nool » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:41 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:Cool cat name! Why?

It's not really called Muhamed. My missus wouldn't let me name it.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Tokyo Blue » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:00 pm

mr_nool wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:Cool cat name! Why?

It's not really called Muhamed. My missus wouldn't let me name it.

Tell me the Bulgarian midget porn thing wasn't a lie.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum