Best player you've seen live

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Best player you've seen live

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:40 pm

Easily.

Passion,power,brute force,will to win,skill,did i mention passion etc etc a pleasure to watch and exactly the way i would play for City (apart from the golf section of his City career) but still the best i've seen.

I still love the little fucker.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:04 pm

Id probably say someone from the late 80's/early 90's but I was too young to remember any stand out performance or specific games so I'll go off what I've seen as I've gotten older and seen proper footy again.

Best for us is probably distin, close calls for
Micah, dunne and Barton. Micah was still really young and breaking in or it would have been him, Barton scored a few when I've seen him.

Tim Cahill is probably the most consistent player I've seen, scoring quite a few for australia and I'm pretty sure he played for Everton v the roar quite a few years back here too.

As for best opposition player that's a hard one. I didn't time either of my visits with games against top teams so nobody stood out. I have watched a few decent players play v the roar, including del piero, Archie Thompson whose top scorer in the a leage all time and a well past it fowler.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Mike J » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:57 pm

Kinkladze.

David Ginola when ever i saw him play was fucking incredible as well. Also sadly ryan giggs
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:59 pm

Mike J wrote:Kinkladze.

David Ginola when ever i saw him play was fucking incredible as well. Also sadly ryan giggs

Ginola?
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Original Dub » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:37 am

Tevez.

Could have been the biggest legend we ever had given his crossing of the great divide and his sheer passion for winning every ball.

He's some fuckwit throwing the possibility of that recognition away.

Non blue.... henry.
Original Dub

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:18 am

Hazy2 wrote:Colin Bell, Silva, Sergio and must mention Gazza, he was some player.

Great call. Gazza was worth watching.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Us

Postby Blue Since 76 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:56 am

patrickblue wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Easy one Colin Bell and George Best

Piece of piss for us old buggers, isn't it!

You oldies are weird - my dad still reckons Law the first time round was better than Aguero.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Mase » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:51 am

Ali B - if he'd been over here in his prime he would have been a legend.
Roy Keane unfortunately.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby South Stand Balti » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:23 am

Yaya - by a mile.
Gazza -I remember watching him at Maine Road. I think we won 2-1 but he scored for them. Danced round the keeper and slotted it. He gave Paul Lake a bit of stick, in a fun way...gesturing at his big ears etc.
South Stand Balti

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:07 am

Blue: David Silva. That little feller is just so amazing to watch. I mean one of those guys who look amazing on telly but you truly appreciate watching him live.

Non-Blue: Zidane. I've been plessed in that I got to see lot of the world greats in their prime on international games. People forget what a complete footballer Zidane was. I mean not only his amazing eye for pass but he also had a great shot, was pretty good in the air, a great physical presence and could both attack AND defend (when he was asked to do so).
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Scatman » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:10 am

For pure talent, I'm thinking Robinho or Kinky, but they both fall short in the "doing it when it matters" stakes.

It's between Tevez and Yaya. But when he is on his game, some of the stuff Yaya does is an absolute pleasure to watch and you can tell he is head and shoulders above anything else on the pitch, usually.

Runs from the edge of his box to the edge of the other box whilst knocking over the whole of the oppo team? Check.
Beautifully weighted passes into the striker's path? Check.
Free kicks delivered where they need to be delivered? Check.
Long range shooting? Check.
Important goals when you need them? Check.

As for non blue, I can only go off what I've seen against City, as most of the games I see live involve City. And for that reason it is more about one off performances than those over a sustained period. I'd like to be able to say Henry but I always hated him too much to appreciate his craft.

I'm going to go for Berbatov and that performance against us in the Carling cup the other year. Every time he got the ball everything slowed down. It was really wierd to watch, and it was as if he had a death star style force field around him. Nobody got near him that night and seeing it made up for the fact that we lost.
Scatman

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:29 am

This is most difficult.

For City, it's a hard choice between Colin Bell, Bert Trautmann, Dave Watson and David Silva.

For non-City, there are so many to consider but Dennis Bergkamp always features highly for me, as well as Mario Kempes.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:48 am

Mase wrote:Ali B - if he'd been over here in his prime he would have been a legend.
Roy Keane unfortunately.

Wouldn't rate him as one of the absolute best I've seen, but Roy Kunt's performance in that game where we decided to let Beckham score with a free kick early on, & they beat us 1-0, was unfortunately, a masterclass of professionalism, without which, City would have run them over. All the more remarkable because he managed to avoid Alfie Haarland for 90 mins in front of our rabid, agressive supporters, before giving in to the irresistable urge to stamp on his knee, months later, in front of 50 odd thousand of their supporters. The fucking coward.

But him & CB in centre mid for this City team, & we would win everything.

They are the two players we have always needed rather than Barry, Nige, Yaya etc imo.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:10 am

Scatman, that performance of Berbatov's was mesmeric. I had it mind when thinking of an answer to the non Blue part. He was bringing the ball down from out of the sky and having it stick like glue to his feet. But it just seemed wrong to suggest a filthy rag as best player I'd ever seen. But it was a masterclass from him without doubt.
I did see Sir Colin a couple of times but was too young to fully appreciate his play even though he was my boyhood hero.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Us

Postby dazby » Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:13 am

City. Tevez

The rest - either Ronaldinho or Del Piero.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:23 pm

I once sneaked into the second half of el Classico at the Bernabeau.

The lineups were as follows:

Madrid
Casillas, Roberto Carlos, Pavon, Helguera, Salgaro, Zidane, Gravesen, Beckham, Raul, Ronaldo, Owen
Subs: Celades, Solari, Figo

Barcelona
Valdes, Belletti, Puyol, Oleguyer, van Bronckhorst, Xavi, Marquez, Iniesta, Giuly, Ronaldinho, Eto'o
Subs: Lopez, Damia

Between them, I can count a minimum of
44 Champions League medals
11 World Cup medals
8 European Championship medals
9 other continental championship medals
9 of the 10 Ballon d'Or winners from 1996 to 2005, 6 runners up for the same period, and 5 third place

That's on top of Cup Winners Cup, UEFA Cup, other continental club cups, and domestic honours.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Tokyo Blue » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:42 pm

Anybody remember the performance of Paulo Wanchope at Leeds when we won 2-1 under Joe Royle? He was absolutely fucking incredible that night.

Best City player I've seen is Dave Silva. I just missed Bell in his prime. My Dad says Bell was better because he could do more but there is not much in it.

Best non-City player is probably Matt Le Tissier. I used to really enjoy seeing him on the ball. Look up the youtube goals collection, anyone who doesn't remember (or believe) just how good he was.

Anyone saying best after what he did to Glyn Pardoe is of course entitled to their opinion, but wants their head testing as far as I am concerned. But then I never saw him play nor do I ever wish to, even on film.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:39 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:Anybody remember the performance of Paulo Wanchope at Leeds when we won 2-1 under Joe Royle? He was absolutely fucking incredible that night.

Yep, that really was a remarkable performance, one of the best I've ever seen from a forward, talk about defending from the front, he was absolutely everywhere that night.

Unfortunately I also remember that they never opened the bar at that game for some reason. Cunts
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:39 pm

Tevez, by a very very long way
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:57 pm

Surprised by the shouts for Tevez.

Undoubtedly a great player but his tenacity was his biggest asset as opposed to pure footballing ability.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum