Best player you've seen live

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Best player you've seen live

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:00 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:Anybody remember the performance of Paulo Wanchope at Leeds when we won 2-1 under Joe Royle? He was absolutely fucking incredible that night.

Best City player I've seen is Dave Silva. I just missed Bell in his prime. My Dad says Bell was better because he could do more but there is not much in it.

Best non-City player is probably Matt Le Tissier. I used to really enjoy seeing him on the ball. Look up the youtube goals collection, anyone who doesn't remember (or believe) just how good he was.

Anyone saying best after what he did to Glyn Pardoe is of course entitled to their opinion, but wants their head testing as far as I am concerned.
But then I never saw him play nor do I ever wish to, even on film.

Count me in on this.

I was at that game, near the halfway line and was reasonably close to the 'incident' with a good view.

It was the most cowardly, two-footed lunge you could ever imagine or wish to see but, afterwards, no-one in the national media seemed to utter any criticism against the Irish Scumbag or even mentioned that, whenever the Swamp-dwellers played against City, Best (or should that be Worst ??) was always anonymous.

An odious despicable individual and it's just a pity Mike Doyle couldn't have exacted some sort of suitable retribution at some point.

.......and please don't get me talking about Martin Buchan and Colin the King.........
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Im_Spartacus » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:04 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Surprised by the shouts for Tevez.

Undoubtedly a great player but his tenacity was his biggest asset as opposed to pure footballing ability.

His tenacity was just the cherry on top for me. Silva is a magician, Aguero is undoubtedly a great goalscorer, but they have their off days......I rarely remember tevez ever having a bad game which is what sets him apart for me.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Tokyo Blue » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:51 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:Anybody remember the performance of Paulo Wanchope at Leeds when we won 2-1 under Joe Royle? He was absolutely fucking incredible that night.

Yep, that really was a remarkable performance, one of the best I've ever seen from a forward, talk about defending from the front, he was absolutely everywhere that night.

Unfortunately I also remember that they never opened the bar at that game for some reason. Cunts

I don't know about that. I was in the "posh" part of the home end with the monkey-chanting neanderthals.

Absolutely fucking brilliant 90 minutes by the big man. I loved Paulo Wanchope. I was gutted when he left.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby sheblue » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:51 pm

Serg and pirlo
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Blue Since 76 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:31 pm

Blue: Probably Aguero. Loved Kinky, Ali B was great but legs had gone, Silva is magnificent, but I've not seen a player able to score goals from nothing like Kun can.

Non-blue: I could cheat and go for Silva or a young Aguero, from watching Valencia vs Atletico a few years back. But in terms of against us and having good games against us, probably Henry. That Arsenal side used to take us apart under Royle and Keegan, but I loved watching them. My caveat is that I didn't go to the Barca game last season, so I can't include Messi.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:16 am

Best City Player: Agüero by a country mile.

Best opposing player: Seen few top teams play City. I'd have to go with Michel Vorm.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:23 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:Tevez, by a very very long way

after Silva, Bell, Aguero etc etc?
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby harveytravis » Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:37 am

Blue Since 76 wrote:
patrickblue wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Easy one Colin Bell and George Best

Piece of piss for us old buggers, isn't it!

You oldies are weird - my dad still reckons Law the first time round was better than Aguero.

You're dad could be right. It's hard to compare with kit and conditions then and now. Law's six goals at Kenilworth road in 1961 were eliminated from the record books when the match was abandoned due to a water logged pitch. Hard to imagine how Aguero would survive under similar conditions.
Having said that...

Still my favourite City players would be Bell, Lee (for pure cheek... his hand ball goal at Spurs was priceless... I was made up!) and then the usual suspects Aguero, Silva, Yaya on a good day and how about a shout for Rodney Marsh? No doubt he lost us the title when he arrived in March 1972 (not his fault) but for pure entertainment?

Other teams = Bobby Moore, Best, Gazza and Jimmy Greaves.
harveytravis
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Man City

Postby johnny crossan » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:11 pm

harveytravis wrote:
Blue Since 76 wrote:
patrickblue wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:Easy one Colin Bell and George Best

Piece of piss for us old buggers, isn't it!

You oldies are weird - my dad still reckons Law the first time round was better than Aguero.

You're dad could be right. It's hard to compare with kit and conditions then and now. Law's six goals at Kenilworth road in 1961 were eliminated from the record books when the match was abandoned due to a water logged pitch. Hard to imagine how Aguero would survive under similar conditions.
Having said that...

Still my favourite City players would be Bell, Lee (for pure cheek... his hand ball goal at Spurs was priceless... I was made up!) and then the usual suspects Aguero, Silva, Yaya on a good day and how about a shout for Rodney Marsh? No doubt he lost us the title when he arrived in March 1972 (not his fault) but for pure entertainment?

Other teams = Bobby Moore, Best, Gazza and Jimmy Greaves.
your Dad has got a good case for Law
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:09 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:Tevez, by a very very long way

after Silva, Bell, Aguero etc etc?

I only ever saw Colin Bell in the local corner shop buying special brew on his way to Tommy Booths so I can't comment.

I don't think Aguero does anything Tevez can't/couldn't do, whereas there is a lot Tevez does that Aguero can't (or doesn't for some reason)

Silva is a fantastic player definitely one of the best I've seen, but Tevez would be my first pick of the two
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby dick dastardley » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:09 am

ALI Benarbia for city remembering the cheeky flick for the goat against the Gills.
Fake Ronaldo really is a player when on song!!!
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Fullartj » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:45 pm

Best City Player - John Burridge

Non City - John Fashanu
Fullartj
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Blue Blood » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:10 pm

Best City Player - Dave Silva

Non City - A 26/27 year old Frank Lampard
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby walmai » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:16 pm

Blue now - Silva

Blues at Maine Road - Paul Lake was a great midfielder. Still sends a chill down the spine to remember what happened to him on the pitch. The whole ground was silent

Best player ever - Dalglish
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:46 am

walmai wrote:Blue now - Silva

Blues at Maine Road - Paul Lake was a great midfielder. Still sends a chill down the spine to remember what happened to him on the pitch. The whole ground was silent

Best player ever - Dalglish

Yes, it was chilling. Suddenly nothing else in the ground mattered.

Thank you for reminding me how good Lakey was. I am ashamed to have forgotten him in my comments on this thread.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Blue In Bolton » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:05 am

Beardsley & Barnes for the bindippers and Gullit, Baresi & Van Basten for Milan in the late 80's. The latter three just oozed class and seemed to play with a minimum of effort. For us; Yaya, David Silva, Lakey and was really disappointed Michael Hughes never fulfilled his potential with us and got sold to the happy Hammers in favour of tricky Rick Holden!!
Blue In Bolton
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: David White

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:57 am

Blue In Bolton wrote:Beardsley & Barnes for the bindippers and Gullit, Baresi & Van Basten for Milan in the late 80's. The latter three just oozed class and seemed to play with a minimum of effort. For us; Yaya, David Silva, Lakey and was really disappointed Michael Hughes never fulfilled his potential with us and got sold to the happy Hammers in favour of tricky Rick Holden!!

Hughes was sold to Strasbourg. Very strange transfer that was. I remember the rag tops coming out with strange stories about them buying the wrong Hughes as the fans were expecting mark Hughes.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Blue In Bolton » Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:22 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Blue In Bolton wrote:Beardsley & Barnes for the bindippers and Gullit, Baresi & Van Basten for Milan in the late 80's. The latter three just oozed class and seemed to play with a minimum of effort. For us; Yaya, David Silva, Lakey and was really disappointed Michael Hughes never fulfilled his potential with us and got sold to the happy Hammers in favour of tricky Rick Holden!!

Hughes was sold to Strasbourg. Very strange transfer that was. I remember the rag tops coming out with strange stories about them buying the wrong Hughes as the fans were expecting mark Hughes.

My bad, mate. The memory playing tricks on me again!! Now that you mention it I do remember the quote about them thinking that they had signed the wrong Hughes!! Still gutted when he went as the few times I saw him play I thought we had a decent player coming through and Tottenham away in particular he was linking up with Sheron & Big Niall really well. He was faster walking than Holden sprinting!!
Blue In Bolton
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:25 am

Blue In Bolton wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

My bad, mate. The memory playing tricks on me again!! Now that you mention it I do remember the quote about them thinking that they had signed the wrong Hughes!! Still gutted when he went as the few times I saw him play I thought we had a decent player coming through and Tottenham away in particular he was linking up with Sheron & Big Niall really well. He was faster walking than Holden sprinting!!

I shudder when I hear Holden's name. He is better in the legends 5aside team than he was when he was at his peak. I still remember Quinn calling him a world.class crosser when we announced we had signed him. Useless tosser couldn't even beat a fullback to get a cross in.

I remember feeling really hard done by when Hughes was sold.he was a city product and exciting prospect and we just offloaded him when he was looking good.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Blue In Bolton » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:41 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Blue In Bolton wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

I shudder when I hear Holden's name. He is better in the legends 5aside team than he was when he was at his peak. I still remember Quinn calling him a world.class crosser when we announced we had signed him. Useless tosser couldn't even beat a fullback to get a cross in.

I remember feeling really hard done by when Hughes was sold.he was a city product and exciting prospect and we just offloaded him when he was looking good.

My sentiments on that summed up beautifully. We were definitely stitched up on those transfers.
Blue In Bolton
De Jong's Tackle

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum