Any Moston footballers from 1977-79 out there?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Any Moston footballers from 1977-79 out there?

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:25 pm

This is a total long shot.
When I was about 13 or 14 years old, so circa 1977-79 I would say, I played for a local football team in Dublin, called Vianney Boys.
We visited a local team in Manchester to play them and they visited us to play us in Dublin. My memory is that it was early in the year, maybe March and it had snowed. The match in Manchester was called off and so was City's match which we were due to go to. I went out to Maine Road anyway to the souvenir shop, but was really disappointed that the game was off. (When did City get under-soil heating ?)
Typical Dublin team of the time. We were made up of mostly Utd and Liverpool supporters and I was the only City supporter. I was delighted that the family we stayed with were City supporters and I got on great with young lad who lived there and was with the local Manchester team.
All I can remember is that the lad was named 'Ged' (Gerard I presume) and he lived in Moston. Not much to go on I know.
Just on the off chance though that any of you of that vintage remember coming over to Dublin and staying in Artane around then.
It'd be great to come across anyone who was part of that.
Like I said....Total long shot.
Last edited by iwasthere2012 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Re: Any Moston footballers from 1977-78 out there?

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:31 pm

moved to the maine forum to see if anyone can help
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: Any Moston footballers from 1977-78 out there?

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:48 pm

Wonderwall wrote:moved to the maine forum to see if anyone can help

Ta, WW. I didn't think it was appropriate there.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Re: Any Moston footballers from 1977-79 out there?

Postby Scatman » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:26 pm

His surname wasn't Wren by any chance was it?
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:39 pm

Scatman wrote:His surname wasn't Wren by any chance was it?

I don't know if that's a joke or not, but I honestly can't remember the family name. I know it's nothing to go on really, but I often wondered since wandering on here if by chance the kid I stayed with was still there following City and possibly on here also.

Stupid recollection I know, but I remember sitting in their front room playing cards and I must have whistled 'Milk and Alcohol' by Dr.Feelgood and his little brother chirped in with the words of the song. I was impressed and surprised that the young kid knew the song. So bearing in mind that, that song was only released in 1978, I would say I was actually 15 years old and it could have been early 1979 or late 1978 when we were over.
I don't think the team were called Moston either.(could be wrong)
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:26 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:

I don't know if that's a joke or not, but I honestly can't remember the family name. I know it's nothing to go on really, but I often wondered since wandering on here if by chance the kid I stayed with was still there following City and possibly on here also.

Stupid recollection I know, but I remember sitting in their front room playing cards and I must have whistled 'Milk and Alcohol' by Dr.Feelgood and his little brother chirped in with the words of the song. I was impressed and surprised that the young kid knew the song. So bearing in mind that, that song was only released in 1978, I would say I was actually 15 years old and it could have been early 1979 or late 1978 when we were over.

It was an "in forum joke" if you have time, look up the Ken and Julie Wren thread on off topic some day.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby CTID Hants » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:29 pm

sniggers
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:59 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:

It was an "in forum joke" if you have time, look up the Ken and Julie Wren thread on off topic some day.

Had a sixth sense I was missing something.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Return to The Maine Football forum