The wealth in English football.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

The wealth in English football.

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:05 am

Just a thought, but nobody seems to need to sell anymore, driving transfer prices up to even more ridiculous levels. Liverpool turn down 40m for a kid and I can't see Arsenal letting Wilshere go at 30m either.
Is it healthy?
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Re: The wealth in English football.

Postby john@staustell » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:09 am

I think in general you have a point. But in this case both clubs have US owners who are basically profit/return driven - so if Txiki plays the right sort of poker they will give in for fear of losing dollars.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:56 am

The price of English players is certainly going through the roof. So much better value abroad. You could almost say other club's greed is ruining English football!
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Us

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:02 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:The price of English players is certainly going through the roof. So much better value abroad. You could almost say other club's greed is ruining English football!

Forcing clubs to take inferior players instead of owning up to how shit our youth development has become is what's ruining football.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Hazy2 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:23 am

The Premier League is Crazy, Portsmouth rise and Fall, stripped of every asset, then dumped is just history, nobody gives a toss. 40 mill for Sterling is normal in a football world so fucked up, it has become acceptable. Fans are so far from the players now. Most of which are bang average, Phil Bardsley 70k a week, chicken feed when you see our wage bill, He is just busy fit, likes a tackle and injury free, other than that he is a Manchester League player.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby City64 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:30 am

Thing is with the Sterling transfer saga is that it could blow up big time in Liverpool FC face . We could easily walk away and they have a player who doesn't want to be there ! Yes greedy fucking bastards ruining the game but heyho would be hilarious if they were stuck with him and he goes for fuck all in 12 months time .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:35 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:The price of English players is certainly going through the roof. So much better value abroad. You could almost say other club's greed is ruining English football!

Forcing clubs to take inferior players instead of owning up to how shit our youth development has become is what's ruining football.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, at least that's what we are seeing right now. But I do think there will be a lot more talent around in five ten years from now.

I've said before, that instead of enforicing the use of 'homegrown' players, there should be an incentive to use them ie extra places on the subs' bench for young players.

But I don't think the people who put forward these ideas are doing it for the good of football, they are doing it for the same reasons as UEFA; to try & keep things as they are.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:42 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:

I think you've hit the nail on the head, at least that's what we are seeing right now. But I do think there will be a lot more talent around in five ten years from now.

I've said before, that instead of enforicing the use of 'homegrown' players, there should be an incentive to use them ie extra places on the subs' bench for young players.

But I don't think the people who put forward these ideas are doing it for the good of football, they are doing it for the same reasons as UEFA; to try & keep things as they are.

Sad but true. I've been saying for years if we just ripped it up and started over like Germany we'd be decent within a decade. I'm not as convinced as you that the talent is growing though. I look at the silly money being mentioned for young English attackers and I immediately think of David Bentley, Aaron Lennon, that small lad at Blackburn, hell even SWP. They get so much hype because they have a bit if pace and can driblle, but as soon as they are expected to kick on and move up to bigger clubs or international competition they can't cope.
Pretty Boy Lee

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:18 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:

Sad but true. I've been saying for years if we just ripped it up and started over like Germany we'd be decent within a decade. I'm not as convinced as you that the talent is growing though. I look at the silly money being mentioned for young English attackers and I immediately think of David Bentley, Aaron Lennon, that small lad at Blackburn, hell even SWP. They get so much hype because they have a bit if pace and can driblle, but as soon as they are expected to kick on and move up to bigger clubs or international competition they can't cope.

Yes but if those lads had been at City as we are now, from a young age, they would all be footballers who could hapilly exchange passes with David Silva & slot into various formations, rather than all having been taught various conflicting old school methods by faceless no marks of the mentality of Stuart Pearce & Graham Taylor.

The players you have mentioned there, are all perfectly good enough talent wise, to have played for most decent international sides. It's their decision making or in some cases attitude, which is all wrong.

Bentley imo, was a better footballer than Beckham, like a two footed version, but had no particular role, no particular method, & no discipline. He was a Pirlo type character at Arsenal, in centre mid spraying passes around, then suddenly he's a winger at Blackburn. SWP was a No 10. Wingback in Keegan's team.

They go from one coaching method to another, one side plays pass & move, the next hits everything down the channels, etc etc.

Our kids are being taught to play football, & no matter how much the old philistines complain if we lose a goal by passing the ball, they are going to keep doing it, forever. So whatever is thrown at them in the future, they will at least be able to pass a football & play possession, without shitting themselves.

I haven't seen any other club do that to our standard, but I do see about 500% more intelligence in the way kids play now, in general, compared to when we last won the youth cup.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:06 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:

Yes but if those lads had been at City as we are now, from a young age, they would all be footballers who could hapilly exchange passes with David Silva & slot into various formations, rather than all having been taught various conflicting old school methods by faceless no marks of the mentality of Stuart Pearce & Graham Taylor.

The players you have mentioned there, are all perfectly good enough talent wise, to have played for most decent international sides. It's their decision making or in some cases attitude, which is all wrong.

Bentley imo, was a better footballer than Beckham, like a two footed version, but had no particular role, no particular method, & no discipline. He was a Pirlo type character at Arsenal, in centre mid spraying passes around, then suddenly he's a winger at Blackburn. SWP was a No 10. Wingback in Keegan's team.

They go from one coaching method to another, one side plays pass & move, the next hits everything down the channels, etc etc.

Our kids are being taught to play football, & no matter how much the old philistines complain if we lose a goal by passing the ball, they are going to keep doing it, forever. So whatever is thrown at them in the future, they will at least be able to pass a football & play possession, without shitting themselves.

I haven't seen any other club do that to our standard, but I do see about 500% more intelligence in the way kids play now, in general, compared to when we last won the youth cup.

That's kind of my point though. We're the only ones doing it and fair play you've seen the kids, but for me all the hopes f young English players is coming from us and we've not debuted a good one in years.
Pretty Boy Lee

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:19 am

It depends what position really. I've seen players in various teams who have a bit of 'something' & who have impressed me more than some of the talent raved about a few years back..

In my experience it's not been 100% the case that the best ones are the ones who make it. But nowardays I think there is a bit more of an understanding of actually playing football, at academy level, even in the more kick & rush teams. City have always tried to do that tbf, but we have just got a lot better at it & more focused & higher quality. But we still got turned over at the swamp by a rags team, albeit much older, who stuck to their game plan & (blatant offside notwithstanding) produced a couple of quality goals. Chelsea beat us again by mainly strength & organisation, but still had quality in their play.

I think as a country, we are slowly getting there.

The big danger comes from what happens if Greg Dyke, Rio Ferdinand, Howard Wilkinson & Danny Mills suddenly take over, just as we are emerging from the swamp of shite created by people exactly like them.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:22 pm

Hazy2 wrote:The Premier League is Crazy, Portsmouth rise and Fall, stripped of every asset, then dumped is just history, nobody gives a toss. 40 mill for Sterling is normal in a football world so fucked up, it has become acceptable. Fans are so far from the players now. Most of which are bang average, Phil Bardsley 70k a week, chicken feed when you see our wage bill, He is just busy fit, likes a tackle and injury free, other than that he is a Manchester League player.

Plenty of people out there who'd knock rooney out properly for a fraction of that
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby Dunnylad » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:44 am

The problem could be that we produce the Chris Waddle's the players that don't fit the international team - that's part of the problem, you only need to see the England defence last weekend, Henderson playing right back????

As for transfer fees, that's what you get for imposing a cap on foreign players, all your home grown ones become over hyped and over valued.
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Spewed onto the Motorway Shoulder,
I Could Have Been Somebody Special."
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:53 am

Dunnylad wrote:The problem could be that we produce the Chris Waddle's the players that don't fit the international team - that's part of the problem, you only need to see the England defence last weekend, Henderson playing right back????

As for transfer fees, that's what you get for imposing a cap on foreign players, all your home grown ones become over hyped and over valued.

Again though, that is down to lack of quality produced in recent years.

There is no problem filling squad places with cheap homegrown players; the problem is filling the squad places with cheap homegrown players who aren't shit.

And then some of the ones that aren't shit, are full of learned bad habits, so have become shit. Even in the days of Chris Waddle; I've watched his 90 mins vs Cameroon & some of the positions he takes up & the passes he tries to play, makes Joey Barton look like Inifuckingesta. Clueless, aimless, selfish shite. And he's one of these who is supposed to be smarter than everyone else. This started decades ago.

The kids now are watching Barca win Champion's Leagues, Spain etc win World Cups, & players like Silva, Yaya, Hazard, Fabregas, win titles, right here, every year.

When someone tells them to 'knock it' some of them are going to say "excuse me ?".

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:21 pm

Dunnylad wrote:The problem could be that we produce the Chris Waddle's the players that don't fit the international team - that's part of the problem, you only need to see the England defence last weekend, Henderson playing right back????

Hoddle, second fiddle to Captain M AND Wilkins. OK very good players, but Hoddle was way better than both at the hings MF players should be in to do, like pass the ball short or long.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:52 pm

Hazy2 wrote:

Hoddle, second fiddle to Captain M AND Wilkins. OK very good players, but Hoddle was way better than both at the hings MF players should be in to do, like pass the ball short or long.

Matt Le Tissier, 8 caps! what a waste of a genial talent
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:18 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

Lazy fecker wouldn't track back!
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:40 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:

Never understood that, he did it to the same players who had 30 or 70 caps. Hoddle and him, other Countries must have pissed themselfs at our waste.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Return to The Maine Football forum