International Matches

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

International Matches

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:36 am

A few international matches played last night.

Bosnia beat Israel 3-1 to possibly resurrect their qualifying campaign. One interesting bit of trivia from this game is that Israel fielded two people with exactly the same name (Tal Ben Haim). I don't think I've ever seen that before...

Wales beat Belgium 1-0, and could possibly overtake England in the FIFA rankings for the first time ever.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Re: International Matches

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:18 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:A few international matches played last night.

Bosnia beat Israel 3-1 to possibly resurrect their qualifying campaign. One interesting bit of trivia from this game is that Israel fielded two people with exactly the same name (Tal Ben Haim). I don't think I've ever seen that before...

Wales beat Belgium 1-0, and could possibly overtake England in the FIFA rankings for the first time ever.

So many are going way way OTT about Wales
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:48 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:

True, but the best a country that size can do is get the best out of the players they have. Can just imagine if Bale was English, Woy would have him at left back again, or on the right hand side, or some other permutation designed to stifle his game.
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:27 am

Bianchi on Ice wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:

True, but the best a country that size can do is get the best out of the players they have. Can just imagine if Bale was English, Woy would have him at left back again, or on the right hand side, or some other permutation designed to stifle his game.

Or as a defensive midfielder alongside Cleverley, which would allow Tommy boy to then push forward with glorious abandon and control the game with his silky skills.

With regard to Wales overtaking England in the world rankings, as much of a joke as they (the rankings) are, I think it's a racing certainly that the Principality will soon be ahead of us, especially bearing in mind the duffer and FA sycophant that Woy Hodgson is.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:47 am

When you look at the team Belgium had out, but look at what they actually produce, it just shows how shit international football is imo.

Because international sides can't sign players. If you have two lumbering shite fullbacks & two great big clumsy cfs, that's what you're stuck with.

Belgium with Danny Alves & Aguero, would put 6 past Wales, but when you have a 6ft lump, charging forward leathering the ball into the stand, or a cf who can't trap a bag of fucking cement, all the clever passing in the world can still get you nowhere.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby mr_nool » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:15 pm

Sweden once fielded a team with five Anderssons: Patrik, Daniel, Andreas, Anders, and Alexandersson.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:08 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:When you look at the team Belgium had out, but look at what they actually produce, it just shows how shit international football is imo.

Because international sides can't sign players. If you have two lumbering shite fullbacks & two great big clumsy cfs, that's what you're stuck with.

Belgium with Danny Alves & Aguero, would put 6 past Wales, but when you have a 6ft lump, charging forward leathering the ball into the stand, or a cf who can't trap a bag of fucking cement, all the clever passing in the world can still get you nowhere.

That's quite true Ted. For all their pretty passing around midfield, Belgium just lack that cutting edge that would take them onto the next level. But at International football level you are very much curtailed by the panel of qualified players.
I'm genuinely chuffed for Wales. They weren't exactly pretty to watch but the made the best of what they have. I'm used to that, from watching our lot. If Ireland don't beat Scotland today, then I'd genuinely want to see the Scots qualify, for the same reason. What it would mean to them.
I've had the argument many times with mates about whether it's better not to qualify than to be humiliated at a finals when you get there. I think for the likes of us Scotland, Wales and NI, it is always better to qualify. It boosts football in the country. It just lifts the country in general.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby mr_nool » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:13 pm

I hope Iceland will keep the good work up and qualify for a major tournament for the first time.

Lagerbäck is a great coach for limited sides and would've been great for a mid-table PlL side. The Swedish national team is utter crap since he left.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:52 pm

mr_nool wrote:I hope Iceland will keep the good work up and qualify for a major tournament for the first time.

Lagerbäck is a great coach for limited sides and would've been great for a mid-table PlL side. The Swedish national team is utter crap since he left.

No idea that John Lydon even had a football league, but he is very commercially focused these days.

You wouldn't want Jah Wobble in goal, would you?

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:49 pm

The team was crap while he was in charge as well.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby mr_nool » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:01 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:

The team was crap while he was in charge as well.

They got the results though...
But, yes, it's also down to Sweden having a poor generation of players at the moment.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby MilnersJaw » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:31 pm

it makes me laugh israel is even in this competition, the country is not even in europe remotely.
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silver

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:39 pm

MilnersJaw wrote:it makes me laugh israel is even in this competition, the country is not even in europe remotely.

So do you think it's a good idea to have them competing against Lebanon, Syria, Iran and Iraq?

And it is actually not that far from Cyprus. 300 miles-ish.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:55 pm

Hoping for a 1-0 to Ireland, but not that optimistic.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:41 pm

Goal. 1-0 Ireland. First decent cross, from a corner.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:47 pm

Very nearly a second from the exact same kind of corner.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:49 pm

Just looking at the replay of the goal. Walters looked offside.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:53 pm

Ireland have made a war of this from the start. Scotland aren't up to the passion of it yet and are losing the battles. I hope we don't run out of steam with 20 minutes to go, because I still think Scotland have more quality than us, if we allow them play.
45 mins, all to play for.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Dameerto » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:56 pm

I hadn't realised this was being played - I'm in time for the second half at least.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:59 pm

Good to see a few tackles going in but it's really annoying to see such ineptitude from a lino in any game.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum