Women's World Cup

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Women's World Cup

Postby Sister of fu » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:11 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:I dont compare womens football to mens at all as there is fuckign zero comparison.
Its on TV , its for the public to watch and IMO its been fuckign shit overall......I am obviously focusing on Englands performances compared to the others....the passing has been fuckign shite , even sunday league sides pass the ball better than these lot.

No need to get fuckign defensive !!! , what you see is what you get and so far its rubbish.

I watched Sunday league football for the best part of 10 years following my Dad around, I assure you that they don't pass better.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:28 am

Sister of fu wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:I dont compare womens football to mens at all as there is fuckign zero comparison.
Its on TV , its for the public to watch and IMO its been fuckign shit overall......I am obviously focusing on Englands performances compared to the others....the passing has been fuckign shite , even sunday league sides pass the ball better than these lot.

No need to get fuckign defensive !!! , what you see is what you get and so far its rubbish.

I watched Sunday league football for the best part of 10 years following my Dad around, I assure you that they don't pass better.

My sunday league team did.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:31 am

Sister of fu wrote:Just a couple of questions I would like to pose to all you Dads....

If your daughter came home and send I wanna play football would you support this and if you had a son and daughter would you support them equally??

If you had a daughter and she played international football would you see this as an achievement or would it be more of an achievement if your son was an international footballer??

Yes, I'd treat it equally from a sense of pride, but in terms of financial security out of it, obviously if both were at an equal level of their game, and vying to be worldbeaters, then the son would come first.

I go to more women's games nowadays than men's games (it's been like that for 3 or 4 seasons), and although the level here is little better than, say, I am, I think women's football suffers massively from all equipment, etc. being designed for men. As you say, Fu, the infrastructure is massively behind the men's game, and investment and development is put into technology suited to the men's game, where players are taller, and kick harder, on average. One problem from this is the ball - it bounces around like something from a pound store in the women's game, because (less experienced) players are more prone to chipping, and less capable of trapping (I assume it's the same in the UK that women play with a smaller-sized ball to a much later age than men). However, nobody will ever develop a ball more suited to the skills in the women's game than the men's, simply because there isn't enough money in it.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Nigels Tackle » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:47 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:Just a couple of questions I would like to pose to all you Dads....

If your daughter came home and send I wanna play football would you support this and if you had a son and daughter would you support them equally??

If you had a daughter and she played international football would you see this as an achievement or would it be more of an achievement if your son was an international footballer??

Yes, I'd treat it equally from a sense of pride, but in terms of financial security out of it, obviously if both were at an equal level of their game, and vying to be worldbeaters, then the son would come first.

I go to more women's games nowadays than men's games (it's been like that for 3 or 4 seasons), and although the level here is little better than, say, I am, I think women's football suffers massively from all equipment, etc. being designed for men. As you say, Fu, the infrastructure is massively behind the men's game, and investment and development is put into technology suited to the men's game, where players are taller, and kick harder, on average. One problem from this is the ball - it bounces around like something from a pound store in the women's game, because (less experienced) players are more prone to chipping, and less capable of trapping (I assume it's the same in the UK that women play with a smaller-sized ball to a much later age than men). However, nobody will ever develop a ball more suited to the skills in the women's game than the men's, simply because there isn't enough money in it.

they should also look at the size of the goals because women keepers are useless ;-)
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Sister of fu » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:41 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:

Yeah and im sure they trained harder and sacrificed loads....
Sister of fu

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:46 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:

they should also look at the size of the goals because women keepers are useless ;-)

Women around the world, are, on average, 8% shorter than men, so narrowing the goals by 2 feet, and making them shorter by 8 inches would make sense. Same with pitch size (although this would be massively expensive to accommodate, and risk further isolating the women's game to a certain extent). Fu - as a goalkeeper, how would you feel about slightly smaller goals? Would it put you off, because of what you're used to, or would it make things easier? Also, what about for kids just starting in the game now?
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:11 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:

Women around the world, are, on average, 8% shorter than men, so narrowing the goals by 2 feet, and making them shorter by 8 inches would make sense. Same with pitch size (although this would be massively expensive to accommodate, and risk further isolating the women's game to a certain extent). Fu - as a goalkeeper, how would you feel about slightly smaller goals? Would it put you off, because of what you're used to, or would it make things easier? Also, what about for kids just starting in the game now?

Karen Bardsley is 5' 11" but she looks a lot taller, maybe because most of the women are a lot smaller. Its a good point about the goals
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Sister of fu » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:25 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:

I never had and never would want anything changed. Its never bothered me the size of goals. You play with what you have and I have never known anything different. No female player I know wants any changes as that just gives the knocker's more ammunition.

Its not something that will happen as you say it would just cost a to much money. Schools for instance can barely afford decent pitches as it is so there is no chance for two different sized pitches/goals popping up at schools or in local parks.
Sister of fu

Postby South Stand Balti » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:26 pm

My daughter did play a bit of footie at school and I would support her just as much as a son. It would nt cross my mind to do anything other than that. She was a season ticket holder at City at the age of 4 so I did all I could to introduce football to play and watch. If she had played international footie then I would be equally proud as I would for a son. I don't agree with the "more money in mens' football" making it more legit.
I'm enjoying the tournament more than I enjoyed the England v Ireland men's game a couple of weeks ago.
I think we should be making the goals bigger if anything, particularly in the men's game given the size of Costel Pants and others.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby BlueinBosnia » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:37 pm

Sister of fu wrote:I never had and never would want anything changed. Its never bothered me the size of goals. You play with what you have and I have never known anything different. No female player I know wants any changes as that just gives the knocker's more ammunition.

Its not something that will happen as you say it would just cost a to much money. Schools for instance can barely afford decent pitches as it is so there is no chance for two different sized pitches/goals popping up at schools or in local parks.

That's an interesting response. Thanks.

As for 'giving the knockers more ammunition' - and I assume I interpreted 'knockers' right here ;) :The way I look at it is that "women are using men's equipment". Most sports where women's events (and athletes) receive greater attention have differences between the men's and women's disciplines. Whether or not the greater recognition has been helped by the modification of a sport's parameters to allow a more competitive women's arena is open to debate, but I honestly think the effects of a ball developed to suit the women's game (slightly smaller and denser) would be interesting to see - certainly women are no less skillful individually than men, and I think that such a change to the ball would allow a bit more flair and trickery to develop, which may appeal to a wider fanbase.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:48 am

Some years ago, a few of us were lumping a football around on a Norwegian beach, & several girls were hanging around admiring the procedure. But it wasn't our skills or good looks they were admiring, it was the fact that we had a football, & were having a kick about & they happened to be passing & could not resist the urge to join in. So they did.

One of them, about 5 ft tall, just had bare feet, but had no problem leathering the shit, wet, sandy, heavy old casey back at us or heading the fucker when we leathered it in her direction & her little feet looked red raw by the time we finished but she was still smiling & would have been happy to carry on all night if we didn't have an appointment with alcohol etc.

I didn't get the impression that any of those girls had a problem with the equipment used for playing football.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Spurge » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:54 am

Well quite simply, I've enjoyed watching it. Some good football, some bad football some ridiculous football.

Enjoyed the argentinian ref Salome Di Lorio

The German goalkeeper not so much. The Swiss manager a cross between Sting and jurgen klinsman - interesting.

But in all seriousness I have enjoyed it as a footballing spectacle, I think overall the womens game has come a long way. Just like in the mens game the Africans have the potential to make some big strides in the game with the right coaching. The Europeans are much more tacticaly aware and the south americans have the flair.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:55 am

Ted Hughes wrote:Some years ago, a few of us were lumping a football around on a Norwegian beach, & several girls were hanging around admiring the procedure. But it wasn't our skills or good looks they were admiring, it was the fact that we had a football, & were having a kick about & they happened to be passing & could not resist the urge to join in. So they did.

One of them, about 5 ft tall, just had bare feet, but had no problem leathering the shit, wet, sandy, heavy old casey back at us or heading the fucker when we leathered it in her direction & her little feet looked red raw by the time we finished but she was still smiling & would have been happy to carry on all night if we didn't have an appointment with alcohol etc.

I didn't get the impression that any of those girls had a problem with the equipment used for playing football.

There was a girl in my school who was pretty good at shot put. We only had (junior) men's weighted shot puts in the school, and she was maybe 5th or 6th best in the school year. However, had she taken it up as a professional sport, she'd have used a much lighter shot than the men, and would have been given as much recognition and prominence as them in Olympic competition.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:01 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Some years ago, a few of us were lumping a football around on a Norwegian beach, & several girls were hanging around admiring the procedure. But it wasn't our skills or good looks they were admiring, it was the fact that we had a football, & were having a kick about & they happened to be passing & could not resist the urge to join in. So they did.

There was a girl in my school who was pretty good at shot put. We only had (junior) men's weighted shot puts in the school, and she was maybe 5th or 6th best in the school year. However, had she taken it up as a professional sport, she'd have used a much lighter shot than the men, and would have been given as much recognition and prominence as them in Olympic competition.

I don't think women need a different football.

If they do then so do most blokes who play at weekends.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:53 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:

I don't think women need a different football.

If they do then so do most blokes who play at weekends.

And I'm not saying they need one, I'm just saying that the women's game will always be forced to follow advances designed for the convenience of the men's game, unless someone actually sits down and discusses it.

If a piece of equipment was designed for a men's sport to be optimal for a person of 6 foot 4 height, and the average player was 5 foot 10, wouldn't you think that was a bit daft?
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:29 am

The only piece of equipment you really need is a ball.

If the goals are 20 ft by 20 ft, it is the same for both teams. No reason women's football has to be exactly the same as men's football. If more goals float over the keeper's head or whatever, so be it. Men's football has changed over the years & players have become better & worse at different aspects.

The football played here in the days of Wimbledon etc, was almost a different sport to the way City play now. Loads of enormous blokes lumping the ball in the air & running after it. (Ironically, England women had more in common with that 2nd half vs Columbia, than with the way City play).

I don't think it matters whether the game was originally designed for blokes. The women just get on with it.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:43 am

Ted Hughes wrote:The only piece of equipment you really need is a ball.

If the goals are 20 ft by 20 ft, it is the same for both teams. No reason women's football has to be exactly the same as men's football. If more goals float over the keeper's head or whatever, so be it. Men's football has changed over the years & players have become better & worse at different aspects.

The football played here in the days of Wimbledon etc, was almost a different sport to the way City play now. Loads of enormous blokes lumping the ball in the air & running after it. (Ironically, England women had more in common with that 2nd half vs Columbia, than with the way City play).

I don't think it matters whether the game was originally designed for blokes. The women just get on with it.

You may see that as fine, but I see it as a detriment to the sport, from an aesthetic perspective (due to the fact there are a far higher proportion of high, uncontrolled balls at all levels of the women's game) as a spectator, and (although neither me nor you are qualified to give a relevant opinion on this) from the perspective of equipment being designed for a different set of attributes to those the average player has. A professional sport shouldn't be in the situation where "The women just get on with it", but thanks to ignorant attitudes toward the game by those at the top and those who bring in the money, that is exactly the situation that has unfolded.

The goals were agreed as 8 yards by 8 feet for the men's game due to it being a (roughly) optimal size for goalkeepers to have the chance of preventing a decent proportion of goalscoring opportunities. Why shouldn't the women's game have the same level of thought input?
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:50 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:The only piece of equipment you really need is a ball.

You may see that as fine, but I see it as a detriment to the sport, from an aesthetic perspective (due to the fact there are a far higher proportion of high, uncontrolled balls at all levels of the women's game) as a spectator, and (although neither me nor you are qualified to give a relevant opinion on this) from the perspective of equipment being designed for a different set of attributes to those the average player has. A professional sport shouldn't be in the situation where "The women just get on with it", but thanks to ignorant attitudes toward the game by those at the top and those who bring in the money, that is exactly the situation that has unfolded.

The goals were agreed as 8 yards by 8 feet for the men's game due to it being a (roughly) optimal size for goalkeepers to have the chance of preventing a decent proportion of goalscoring opportunities. Why shouldn't the women's game have the same level of thought input?

Because they don't agree, aren't asking for it & don't wish to have it imposed on them perhaps ?

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:25 pm

Sister of fu wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:

Yeah and im sure they trained harder and sacrificed loads....

Gave up alcohol on a saturday night...I think you will find that there is no bigger sacrifice.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Dameerto » Sat Jun 20, 2015 1:14 pm

Spurge wrote:Well quite simply, I've enjoyed watching it. Some good football, some bad football some ridiculous football.

Enjoyed the argentinian ref Salome Di Lorio

The German goalkeeper not so much. The Swiss manager a cross between Sting and jurgen klinsman - interesting.

But in all seriousness I have enjoyed it as a footballing spectacle, I think overall the womens game has come a long way. Just like in the mens game the Africans have the potential to make some big strides in the game with the right coaching. The Europeans are much more tacticaly aware and the south americans have the flair.

Typical tournament football, like every tournament (male of female) I've watched since I was a young kid.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum