Watford Manager Merry-Go-Round

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Watford Manager Merry-Go-Round

Postby Wonderwall » Wed May 27, 2015 10:26 am

I feel sorry for Jokanovic, he took over a club in turmoil, steadied the ship, got them automatically promoted and came within a whisker of being champions. Whoever is in charge now at Watford is bloody mental and makes Abramovich look like a patient saint!

Watford are close to replacing boss Slavisa Jokanovic with Getafe and former Atletico Madrid manager Quique Sanchez Flores.
Jokanovic, 46, led Watford to automatic promotion from the Championship to the Premier League this season.
However his contract expires at the end of next month and talks have broken down over his contract demands.
Watford have now approached 50-year-old Spaniard, Flores, who is set to become the Hornets' fifth manager in a year.
It is understood former Chelsea midfielder Jokanovic asked for a pay rise the owners felt was beyond what they could pay.
Jokanovic was appointed last October and won 21 of his 36 games in charge as the Hornets finished second behind Bournemouth in the Championship.
He was the club's fourth manager of the season following stints in charge for Beppe Sannino, Oscar Garcia and Billy McKinlay.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: Watford Manager Merry-Go-Round

Postby Ray78 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:05 pm

Sanchez Flores is a decent manager, Watford will surprise a few teams next season and will stay up.
Ray78
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Erm.......

Postby Wonderwall » Wed May 27, 2015 12:13 pm

Ray78 wrote:Sanchez Flores is a decent manager, Watford will surprise a few teams next season and will stay up.

Do you think so? They are still owned by the same fellow who owns the Italian club aren't they?
I think Watford will be another Leicester if they are lucky, Bournemouth are one I am going to enjoy watching, their owner has money and could bring a few mercenaries in to steady them in the top flight and give them a chance.
Wonderwall

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Wed May 27, 2015 12:20 pm

It's not like they sacked him. Jokanovic's short-term contract ran out and he was asking for a 250% wage increase, allegedly.

Good opportunity to shop for another manager with pedigree.

As for the hiring & firing this season, it seemed to work, so can't fault them tbh.
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby Ray78 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:24 pm

Yup Udinese has an impressive scouting network and they will use that in helping Watford establish themselves in the Premier League. And they can use Swansea as a good example of what can be achieved.
Ray78
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Erm.......

Postby Moonchesteri » Wed May 27, 2015 1:17 pm

I Just Blue Myself wrote:It's not like they sacked him. Jokanovic's short-term contract ran out and he was asking for a 250% wage increase, allegedly.

Good opportunity to shop for another manager with pedigree.

As for the hiring & firing this season, it seemed to work, so can't fault them tbh.

Yep I've also been following this contract saga a bit and I've got the feeling it's all about the money here. And that Jokanovic probably thinks he could get a "better" job elsewhere, in Italy for example.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu May 28, 2015 4:56 am

The hiring and firing has always been a bit crazy in togger, but it seems to be getting more bonkers by the season.
Time was, you did badly, you got sacked. Now, even when you do ok, or possibly over achieve, you can still get the bullet.
This Watford chappie, ( although I appreciate its not technically a sacking)
Cough at Sheffield.
Fat Sam, just what do West Ham want?
Warburton at Brentford, very odd.
Even McClaren.
I'm sure there are some more examples. These clubs invite trouble on themselves.
I'm glad it appears we'll stick with our man.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu May 28, 2015 6:06 am

I think West Ham want a new filoshofy....theyve seen how filoshofys of good short passing football and spending no money whatsoever have turned the rags around this season
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby chef » Thu May 28, 2015 6:55 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:I think West Ham want a new filoshofy....theyve seen how filoshofys of good short passing football and spending no money whatsoever have turned the rags around this season

Filoshofy ! , makes holistic sound so 'last year'
(Do the hornets have a buzz word)
chef
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Thu May 28, 2015 8:10 am

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:The hiring and firing has always been a bit crazy in togger, but it seems to be getting more bonkers by the season.
Time was, you did badly, you got sacked. Now, even when you do ok, or possibly over achieve, you can still get the bullet.
Cough at Sheffield.
Even McClaren.
I'm sure there are some more examples. These clubs invite trouble on themselves.

Agreed. Didnt realise Brentford sacked Warburton...thats a bit steep. As for McClaren and Clough I think both sackings were harsh but maybe the objectives were set early on who knows. Derby did fall away alarmingly at the end. In both instances I think theyd be right in the mix for promotion next season if they kept faith with those two....its a shame, because shteve obviously has an affinity with the club..he gets stick but his record isnt too shabby really
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu May 28, 2015 8:19 am

Bianchi on Ice wrote:
Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:The hiring and firing has always been a bit crazy in togger, but it seems to be getting more bonkers by the season.
Cough at Sheffield.
Even McClaren.

Agreed. Didnt realise Brentford sacked Warburton...thats a bit steep. As for McClaren and Clough I think both sackings were harsh but maybe the objectives were set early on who knows. Derby did fall away alarmingly at the end. In both instances I think theyd be right in the mix for promotion next season if they kept faith with those two....its a shame, because shteve obviously has an affinity with the club..he gets stick but his record isnt too shabby really

don't think brentford sacked warburton. i believe he refused to sign a new deal as he was at odds with the club owner's strategy. have a read...
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... ng-denmark
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Thu May 28, 2015 8:26 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Bianchi on Ice wrote:
Cough at Sheffield.
Even McClaren.

don't think brentford sacked warburton. i believe he refused to sign a new deal as he was at odds with the club owner's strategy. have a read...

Can I say how much I'm looking forward to football becoming a series of mathematical equations. The game gets colder by the minute.
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu May 28, 2015 8:35 am

Bianchi on Ice wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Bianchi on Ice wrote:
Cough at Sheffield.
Even McClaren.

Can I say how much I'm looking forward to football becoming a series of mathematical equations. The game gets colder by the minute.

There'll even be people quoting statistics to try to show that defensive football is more successful than attacking football.

Whatever next ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Dameerto » Thu May 28, 2015 1:46 pm

Sounds to me like Jokanovic is trying to do a Maclaren (at Twente) and trade short term success for a better job.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu May 28, 2015 2:11 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Bianchi on Ice wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Bianchi on Ice wrote:
Cough at Sheffield.
Even McClaren.

There'll even be people quoting statistics to try to show that defensive football is more successful than attacking football.

Whatever next ??

Only equation in football that I'm interested in is;
e=mc2
Where 'e' is everything and 'mc2' is Man City.....twice Prem Champs.
It'll be e=mc3, next year when we prove Einstein wrong.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Thu May 28, 2015 3:29 pm

It's all relative.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Wonderwall » Thu May 28, 2015 4:05 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:It's all relative.

In theory
Wonderwall

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu May 28, 2015 4:25 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Bianchi on Ice wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Bianchi on Ice wrote:
Cough at Sheffield.
Even McClaren.

Whatever next ??

No 'trying' about it, although
it only applied in the premier league over the last 10 years for some reason. I don't think we ever got to the bottom of why that was.

It's a long summer ahead, I'll resurrect the fucker at some point
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu May 28, 2015 4:40 pm

Change is many times being optimistic about the possible.

Managing something like a football club is part art form part army captain.

I'd like to see some female football managers in the men's game and someone take a chance. We'd probably start seeing less dives and injuries if a woman was standing there calling you out for being a soft piece of crap. And many teams would be more organized. Bonus: All the washing up would get done as well. And the suppers? Way way better.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby nottsblue » Thu May 28, 2015 7:31 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:Change is many times being optimistic about the possible.

Managing something like a football club is part art form part army captain.

I'd like to see some female football managers in the men's game and someone take a chance. We'd probably start seeing less dives and injuries if a woman was standing there calling you out for being a soft piece of crap. And many teams would be more organized. Bonus: All the washing up would get done as well. And the suppers? Way way better.

Cheers

You wouldnt even mind getting pulled off at half time
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum