Best Ever Comeback (And Why)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Best Ever Comeback (And Why)

Postby patrickblue » Mon May 25, 2015 5:22 pm

mr_nool wrote:
patrickblue wrote:That's ok then, thanks.

I'm in touch with him on Facebook and he's doing great. A few weeks back he was holidaying in the Lake District with our own Kuwait, I kid you not.

The mind boggles.
Glad to hear he's going strong though.

As our colonial cousin would say.
Cheers
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby london blue 2 » Mon May 25, 2015 7:16 pm

Spurs away as some have mentioned but gillingham and QPR were the most emotional. I still can't watch sergios goal without welling up and getting lump in my through.

Taking the title, away from them, in fergie time. Nothing will ever beat it.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Wonderwall » Tue May 26, 2015 10:44 am

on the Non city front - Funniest comeback for me was the Crystal Palace V Liverpool last season and the Newcastle V Arsenal where Arsenal were 4-0 up, pissed myself when I saw the final score and Wengers face.

Also the rags fuckup against Galatasaray, 2-0 up at home and went on to draw 3-3 and go out on away goals.

I remember the Derby that followed that, the whole of the kippax singing
HOORAY HOORAY
FOR GALATASARAY
2-0 UP AND FUCKED IT UP
GALATASARAY

It was piss funny, we went into at HT 2-0 up..... yes, typical City happened in the 2nd half and the Rags reversed the chant onto us. I couldnt believe it, I was so pissed off, we didnt get the opportunity to take the piss often but City well and truly bent us over on this one!
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby bayblue » Tue May 26, 2015 11:13 am

5 mins v QPR.
Last match of season
Injury time

"You will never see anything like this ever again"

End of.
bayblue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Slim » Tue May 26, 2015 11:51 am

I agree but I can do it in one word.

Aguergasm.

End of.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby bayblue » Tue May 26, 2015 12:49 pm

Slim wrote:I agree but I can do it in one word.

Aguergasm.

End of.

Nice one
bayblue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue May 26, 2015 1:14 pm

As much as I loved the QPR comeback, I just don't see it as such a big deal, we should have been beating them anyway. The result in the end is surely only what was expected at the start, and what it actually was, was a massive failure by city to be in that position in the first place, not to mention QPR stopped playing with 2 to go.

In terms of significance for us as supporters it was a biggy, but surely as comebacks go, to win from 1.0 down to a relegation candidate with the most expensively assembled team in British football history, meh
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Wonderwall » Tue May 26, 2015 2:25 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:As much as I loved the QPR comeback, I just don't see it as such a big deal, we should have been beating them anyway. The result in the end is surely only what was expected at the start, and what it actually was, was a massive failure by city to be in that position in the first place, not to mention QPR stopped playing with 2 to go.

In terms of significance for us as supporters it was a biggy, but surely as comebacks go, to win from 1.0 down to a relegation candidate with the most expensively assembled team in British football history, meh

Do you not recall the game? 1-0 down? Come on John get your head into gear ;-)
Wonderwall

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue May 26, 2015 2:30 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:As much as I loved the QPR comeback, I just don't see it as such a big deal, we should have been beating them anyway. The result in the end is surely only what was expected at the start, and what it actually was, was a massive failure by city to be in that position in the first place, not to mention QPR stopped playing with 2 to go.

QPR stopped playing, is that why one of them tried hacking Aguero down in the box?

It was hugely significant regardless of whether we should have been in that position in the first place. It was MASSIVE
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Slim » Tue May 26, 2015 3:37 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:

QPR stopped playing, is that why one of them tried hacking Aguero down in the box?

It was hugely significant regardless of whether we should have been in that position in the first place. It was MASSIVE

It was our Ned too, could've gone down and got the penalty, glad he didn't.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue May 26, 2015 6:51 pm

The gillingham game was by far the biggest comeback ever...more so than Agueros goal imo as if we hadnt won that game then City might have gone into obscurity................we were back from the death.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Tue May 26, 2015 7:00 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:The gillingham game was by far the biggest comeback ever...more so than Agueros goal imo as if we hadnt won that game then City might have gone into obscurity................we were back from the death.

I was genuinely wondering if I could face another season of that league before Dickov scored, although afterwards, knowing the outcome, I really enjoyed visiting those other grouds. If I'd had to go back to them though.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Tue May 26, 2015 7:05 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:The gillingham game was by far the biggest comeback ever...more so than Agueros goal imo as if we hadnt won that game then City might have gone into obscurity................we were back from the death.

I was genuinely wondering if I could face another season of that league before Dickov scored, although afterwards, knowing the outcome, I really enjoyed visiting those other grouds. If I'd had to go back to them though.

This. That game meant everything.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue May 26, 2015 8:23 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

Do you not recall the game? 1-0 down? Come on John get your head into gear ;-)

Fuck me I wasn't even pissed when I wrote that! 2-1, 1-0 it's a goal down, all the same thing haha.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue May 26, 2015 8:27 pm

Slim wrote:

SWP blatantly giving the ball away, nervous needy trying to give a penalty away?

In all honesty. I dunno whether I was the only one in the ground who 100% knew we were gonna do it even at 2-1 down, but the second they realised they were safe, QPR visibly relaxed....whether SWP and neddy's actions were on purpose, we will never know but those last few minutes went in slow motion for me and it just seemed inevitable tha QPR were gonna fold, it was never in doubt
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Tue May 26, 2015 8:46 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Slim wrote:

SWP blatantly giving the ball away, nervous needy trying to give a penalty away?

In all honesty. I dunno whether I was the only one in the ground who 100% knew we were gonna do it even at 2-1 down, but the second they realised they were safe, QPR visibly relaxed....whether SWP and neddy's actions were on purpose, we will never know but those last few minutes went in slow motion for me and it just seemed inevitable tha QPR were gonna fold, it was never in doubt

It certainly didn't seem that way to me! How cool and calm I could have been if I had seen it like you!
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Wonderwall » Tue May 26, 2015 8:50 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Slim wrote:

Dont forget Bartons contrubution!! Shame Dunne didnt play and give us an OG. It would have gone under the radar as good old dunney at it again ha ha
Wonderwall

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue May 26, 2015 9:00 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:
Slim wrote:

It certainly didn't seem that way to me! How cool and calm I could have been if I had seen it like you!

Perceptions are a weird thing aren't they. That day my mate to my left was almost in tears, at 2-1, couldn't even watch. My mate on the right was a QPR fan as we had a spare that day, and he said the same as me the minute the QPR fans started celebrating....QPR have stopped playing.....city are gonna get another here.

I don't remember much of the rest of the game, but despite all the kicks in the dick city have given us over the years, I just kinda knew we were going to win that game and the game just seemed so clear to me that I could see the minor changes in the City and QPR players in those final minutes, the differences in the runs that were being made, the reducing intensity in QPR's approach all things that would be totally imperceptible on TV or for most watching in the ground who were plumbing the depths of despair by then. Amongst our friends at the game that day, they still mention me being seemingly totally irrationally convinced we were gonna win, all through those final 5 or 10 minutes when virtually everyone in the ground believed we'd fucked it up. To me it just seemed inevitable that we were gonna win, it was just clear to me from the way both teams were playing - maybe I was one of only a small number who didn't lose their shit and carried on watching the game unfold, I dunno, but I'm surprised more didn't feel like I did, as it just seemed obvious

And I wasn't even pissed!
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Slim » Wed May 27, 2015 12:23 am

I think you have summed it up perfectly. MIGHT.

We might have never recovered, we might not have got promoted straight back up, we might have not been in the position we were in to be taken over by the ADU, we might.

If we hadn't turned around the QPR we wouldn't have won the league. No mights, no maybes, lost.

If we wanted to look at this and it's implications, one is smoke and conjecture and the other is stone and fact.

However, if we're just looking at the game itself, then the Spurs game.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum