FIFA - How is it allowed to continue

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: FIFA - How is it allowed to continue

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat May 30, 2015 8:51 am

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:Interesting political spin on this http://rt.com/op-edge/263409-fifa-blatt ... tics-vote/

This is all political, whether it be by countries or regions that come under the FIFA umbrella. Blatter has given the power in world football to the lesser nations and by doing so, keeps them on a tight rein by offering them incentives for growth in their own countries. Where that money goes is a different matter and I'm sure if you dig a little deeper that it will be friends and family who will be in-charge of how that money is spent.

What the likes of UEFA don't like is that the major players in FIFA have now lost their say and they want to reverse that, giving them the major say in what happens at the top level. David Gill, anybody?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat May 30, 2015 9:02 am

As promised, David Gill has stood down as vice-president.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Sat May 30, 2015 10:03 am

Beefymcfc wrote:As promised, David Gill has stood down as vice-president.

When someone as slimy as Gill appears a paragon of virtue, you know its a whole barn full of rotten apples
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sat May 30, 2015 10:48 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:Interesting political spin on this http://rt.com/op-edge/263409-fifa-blatt ... tics-vote/

This is all political, whether it be by countries or regions that come under the FIFA umbrella. Blatter has given the power in world football to the lesser nations and by doing so, keeps them on a tight rein by offering them incentives for growth in their own countries. Where that money goes is a different matter and I'm sure if you dig a little deeper that it will be friends and family who will be in-charge of how that money is spent.

What the likes of UEFA don't like is that the major players in FIFA have now lost their say and they want to reverse that, giving them the major say in what happens at the top level. David Gill, anybody?

I wouldnt't be under any delusions about the motives of the Americans in doing this. We all commend them or anyone else for doing something, but let's not get carried away about how good it will be if somehow someone manages to bring the whole house of cards down, which I would love to see.......all the way down through FIFA, EUFA, and the individual FA's. But what or who will be put in to replace it and who would they serve.
This is all about power, control and money.
Can't see it changing too much no matter who is running it. That's the really sad part.
Big business rules the world, not just football.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Dameerto » Sat May 30, 2015 12:18 pm

Bianchi on Ice wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:As promised, David Gill has stood down as vice-president.

When someone as slimy as Gill appears a paragon of virtue, you know its a whole barn full of rotten apples

FIFA means nothing to the RAGs it was just a gravy train ticket for Gill - UEFA is where the RAG influence is to be gained (and he obviously keeps his seat on the UEFA executive committee). It was a spin PR move (along the lines of Platini and his 'talk' with Blatter) to try and gain more personal 'brownie points' within Europe.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Dameerto » Sat May 30, 2015 12:19 pm

You know Russia Today is a Putin mouth-piece, right?
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Slim » Sat May 30, 2015 1:17 pm

Dameerto wrote:

This is the same news outfit that thinks they'll be a primary target when(yes, WHEN) the US starts WW3.

Uh huh, missile silo, military base or the office building of a propaganda website?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sat May 30, 2015 1:29 pm

Slim wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

This is the same news outfit that thinks they'll be a primary target when(yes, WHEN) the US starts WW3.

Uh huh, missile silo, military base or the office building of a propaganda website?

In fairness, they have reason to be paranoid:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_bombi ... adquarters

(Television banned in Afghanistan 1996-2001)

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/journali ... v-1.468714

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/media-group ... libyan-tv/
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sat May 30, 2015 1:45 pm

Dameerto wrote:

Yes.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby ant london » Sat May 30, 2015 2:05 pm

That article is on Russia Today which is a Kremlin funded media platform specifically set up to advance Russian agendas and interests

I would take whatever they say with a fistful of salt....and then some
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat May 30, 2015 2:27 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
Slim wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

In fairness, they have reason to be paranoid:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NATO_bombi ... adquarters

(Television banned in Afghanistan 1996-2001)

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/journali ... v-1.468714

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/media-group ... libyan-tv/

Part of me wants Carl to waterboard you.

No joke.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun May 31, 2015 9:23 am

ant london wrote:That article is on Russia Today which is a Kremlin funded media platform specifically set up to advance Russian agendas and interests

I would take whatever they say with a fistful of salt....and then some

Siberian salt, from the mines there.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Jun 01, 2015 3:16 pm

All that was missing from the FIFA vote was Graham Norton as the narrator. The Eurovision song contest was straighter than that shower.
Interesting that Spain and France went against the Uefa decision to vote against Blatter. Seems the Qatar investment in PSG and Barcelona has some sway!

I would love the Uefa members to boycott is completely, obviously Russia and their allies wont, but I cannot imagine a world cup being held without the holders!
Imagine a world cup without the countries listed here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:24 am

Two Congolese Football Association (Fecofoot) officials have been provisionally banned by Fifa for breaches of its code of ethics.

I guess they were just too damn honest.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby john@staustell » Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:31 am

Boxing had no trouble setting up rival world associations so now is the time to do it with football. From what I hear many of those who voted for Blatter do so on a personal basis. They still aren't thrilled with 'FIFA'.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Dameerto » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:52 pm

Hutch's Shoulder wrote:Two Congolese Football Association (Fecofoot) officials have been provisionally banned by Fifa for breaches of its code of ethics.

I guess they were just too damn honest.

Their crime was getting caught.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Dameerto » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:42 pm

I thought it had gone a bit quiet lately on the whole FIFA thing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33359540

The United States has asked Switzerland to extradite seven Fifa officials arrested on corruption charges in May, the Swiss authorities say.

Formal extradition requests were submitted on Wednesday, the Swiss Federal Office of Justice (FOJ) said.

The seven top executives arrested in Zurich are among 14 Fifa officials indicted on charges of "rampant, systemic, and deep-rooted" corruption.

The charges follow a major inquiry by the US Federal Bureau of Investigation.

The FOJ said Zurich police, acting on its behalf, would give the seven officials a hearing over the extradition requests.

The officials and their lawyers would have 14 days to respond to the request, which could be extended, the FOJ statement said.

After that, the FOJ would give its decision "within a few weeks", but warned that any ruling could be challenged in both the federal criminal court and the federal supreme court.

Analysis: BBC's Imogen Foulkes, Bern

The formal extraditions were expected. They were delivered to Switzerland's justice ministry late at night by US diplomats.

It is believed all seven Fifa officials plan to appeal - a process which could go all the way to Switzerland's supreme court, and take months. The other option is to agree to a swift extradition, engage a lawyer in the US, and apply for bail.

The Swiss have made it clear they consider the detained officials to be a flight risk, and will not be granting bail.

Since the seven went from a five star hotel to a prison cell, some may try their luck in the US rather than face the certainty of months in detention in Switzerland.

Jeffrey Webb, Fifa vice-president in charge of North and Central America, was among those arrested by Swiss police in a raid on a luxury hotel in the early hours of 27 May.

The seven are among 14 defendants the US has charged with racketeering, wire fraud, and money laundering conspiracies.

In a 47-count indictment unveiled in a New York federal court, they were accused of taking part "in a 24-year scheme to enrich themselves through the corruption of international soccer".

The indictment alleges that US and South American sports marketing executives paid and agreed to pay "well over $150m" in bribes and other illegal payments to obtain lucrative media and marketing rights to football tournaments.

The corruption was planned in the US, the indictment said. The use of US banks to transfer money appears to have been key to the investigation.

The charges follow a three-year FBI investigation. It was initially sparked by the bidding process for the Russia 2018 and Qatar 2022 World Cups, but was then widened to look back at Fifa's dealings over two decades.
VIVA EL CITIES

Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby zuricity » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:42 pm

One of the seven is in a prison in the village next to mine.

Off to sort the greeks out at the bundesbank tomorrow in München. Will tell Schweiny that he is over the hill and should deffo go to the rags.

I 'll sort Bladder out on Saturday in the 36°C heat we are swealtering under.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby bigblue » Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:04 am

There's been a very sudden about turn from Blatter about the voting for 2018 & 2022 WCs. Looks like the hounds are circling close as he's starting to lash out blame at everyone around him, saying France and Germany influenced people's vote due to their own economic interests. A very stark change from him insisting that FIFA is a legit, clean organization.

Also to note: he is not traveling to Canada for the women's WC final, citing 'personal issues'. First time the FIFA president hasn't attended a WC final.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... pp-blatter
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby john@staustell » Sun Jul 05, 2015 6:35 am

He congratulated the Lionesses. What a nice man he is. Shame he was afraid to do it in person.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum