FIFA - How is it allowed to continue

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

FIFA - How is it allowed to continue

Postby Wonderwall » Fri May 22, 2015 8:55 am

Well done to Luis Figo for saying what he did

Figo: Sepp Blatter's rival pulls out of Fifa election

Luis Figo has joined Michael van Praag in withdrawing from the Fifa presidential election on 29 May.
Ex-Portugal midfielder Figo, 42, pulled out on the same day as Van Praag, 67, to leave Prince Ali Bin Al-Hussein of Jordan as Blatter's only rival.
Blatter is favourite to win a fifth term as president and Figo said: "This process is anything but an election.
"This process is a plebiscite for the delivery of absolute power to one man - something I refuse to go along with."

Each of Fifa's 209 member associations have a vote in the election and Van Praag, who is president of the Dutch football federation, says he will now support Prince Ali. The English Football Association also intend to support Prince Ali, while the Scottish FA had previously said they would back Van Praag.

The Dutchman held a joint news conference with Prince Ali in Amsterdam on Thursday, urging his supporters to get behind the Jordanian to unseat Blatter.
"Prince Ali Bin Al-Hussein convincingly demonstrated that at this moment in time he is the candidate who has the biggest chance to challenge Sepp Blatter," Van Praag said.
"It is impossible that Fifa moves on with its current presidency," he added.
Figo also highlighted the need for change in his withdrawal statement.
"I travelled and met extraordinary people who, though they recognized the value of much that had been done, also concurred with the need for change, one that cleans up Fifa's reputation as an obscure organization that is so often viewed as a place of corruption," he said.
"I have seen with my own eyes federation presidents who, after one day comparing Fifa leaders to the devil, then go on stage and compare those same people with Jesus Christ. Nobody told me about this. I saw it with my own eyes."

He also questioned an election process in which a main candidate - Blatter - had not produced a manifesto "so that federation presidents know what they're voting for". Figo added: "There has not been a single public debate about each candidate's proposals." The latest withdrawal comes after another presidential candidate, Frenchman Jerome Champagne, a former Fifa deputy general secretary, pulled out in February.

Former Tottenham and Newcastle midfielder David Ginola, backed by a betting company, originally announced his intention to stand against Blatter in January, but withdrew two weeks later.
The vote will be held in Zurich at Fifa's annual congress and requires the winning candidate to secure a two-thirds majority in the first round of voting.
If subsequent rounds are required then a simple majority is all that is required for victory.

Surely this should aid the FBI's enquiry. Get Figo interviewed whilst it is still raw.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: FIFA - How is it allowed to continue

Postby nottsblue » Sat May 23, 2015 6:51 am

Blatter will win. Rest assured about that. FIFA in its current gormat is designed and run to keep the status quo.

The only way change is gonna happen is for enough member countries to resign and start a new organisation. It would only initially need the best European and selected south American countries to withdraw and others will follow.

Not be dissimilar to when the darts broke in two. Very quickly, the BDO got left behind and most of the best players went to the PDC.

Debatable whether this would actually happen though
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby dick dastardley » Sat May 23, 2015 7:11 am

If the authorities cant bring blatter down and his corrupt cronies then world football will always be a money making racket for the high level fifa heirachy
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Dameerto » Wed May 27, 2015 5:17 am

According to the New York Times, 'several high ranking FIFA officials' are being sought in Zurich over corruption charges - story is breaking at the moment (reported on BBC's Breakfast show). Please please please let one of them be that teflon slug Blatter (I don't think it will though).
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed May 27, 2015 5:35 am

Dameerto wrote:According to the New York Times, 'several high ranking FIFA officials' are being sought in Zurich over corruption charges - story is breaking at the moment (reported on BBC's Breakfast show). Please please please let one of them be that teflon slug Blatter (I don't think it will though).

The timing of this, just before the vote suggests that even though they haven't caught Blatter red handed with his hand in the till, there should, in theory be no way a president can continue with widespread corruption charges against those below him as it would suggest at best that he was 'asleep at the wheel'

I wouldn't hold my fucking breath though.......my guess is that he will invoke emergency crisis powers to delay the vote or to reaffirm him as president until the 'crisis' is over

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/27/sport ... .html?_r=0

New York Times wrote:ZURICH — Swiss authorities conducted an extraordinary early-morning operation here Wednesday to arrest several top soccer officials and extradite them to the United States on federal corruption charges.

As leaders of FIFA, soccer’s global governing body, gathered for their annual meeting, more than a dozen plain-clothed Swiss law enforcement officials arrived unannounced at the Baur au Lac hotel, an elegant five-star property with views of the Alps and Lake Zurich. They went to the front desk to get keys and proceeded upstairs to the rooms.

The arrests were carried out peacefully, with at least two men being ushered out of the hotel without handcuffs. One FIFA official, Eduardo Li of Costa Rica, was led by the authorities from his room to a side-door exit of the hotel. He was allowed to bring his luggage, which was adorned with FIFA logos.

Prince Ali bin al-Hussein of Jordan is running against Sepp Blatter, the president of FIFA. “As popular as football is around the world, the impression of FIFA is the exact opposite,” the prince said.The charges allege widespread corruption in FIFA over the past two decades, involving bids for World Cups as well as marketing and broadcast deals, according to three law enforcement officials with direct knowledge of the case. The charges include wire fraud, racketeering and money laundering, and officials said they targeted members of FIFA’s powerful executive committee, which wields enormous power and does its business largely in secret. The arrests were a startling blow to FIFA, a multibillion-dollar organization that governs the world’s most popular sport but has been plagued by accusations of bribery for decades.

The inquiry is also a major threat to Sepp Blatter, FIFA’s longtime president who is generally recognized as the most powerful person in sports, though he was not charged. An election, seemingly pre-ordained to give him a fifth term as president, is scheduled for Friday.

Prosecutors planned to unseal an indictment against more than 10 officials, not all of whom are in Zurich, law enforcement officials said. Among them are Jeffrey Webb of the Cayman Islands, a vice president of the executive committee; Eugenio Figueredo of Uruguay, who is also an executive committee vice president and until recently was the president of South America’s soccer association; and Jack Warner of Trinidad and Tobago, a former member of the executive committee who has been accused of numerous ethical violations.

“We’re struck by just how long this went on for and how it touched nearly every part of what FIFA did,” said a law enforcement official. “It just seemed to permeate every element of the federation and was just their way of doing business. It seems like this corruption was institutionalized.”

The Justice Department, the F.B.I. and FIFA did not have any immediate comment.

The case is the most significant yet for United States Attorney General Loretta E. Lynch, who took office last month. She previously served as the United States attorney in Brooklyn, where she supervised the FIFA investigation. Ms. Lynch and F.B.I. Director James Comey were expected to hold a news conference on Wednesday morning in New York.

With more than $1.5 billion in reserves, FIFA is as much a global financial conglomerate as a sports organization. With countries around the world competing aggressively to win the bid to host the World Cup, Mr. Blatter has commanded the fealty of anyone who wanted a piece of that revenue stream. He and FIFA have weathered corruption controversies in the past, but none involved charges of federal crimes in United States court.

United States law gives the Justice Department wide authority to bring cases against foreign nationals living abroad, an authority that prosecutors have used repeatedly in international terrorism cases. Those cases can hinge on the slightest connection to the United States, like the use of an American bank or Internet service provider.

Switzerland’s treaty with the United States is unusual in that it gives Swiss authorities the power to refuse extradition for tax crimes, but on matters of general criminal law, the Swiss have agreed to turn people over for prosecution in American courts. The case further mars the reputation of FIFA’s leader, Mr. Blatter, who has for years acted as a de facto head of state. Politicians, star players, national soccer officials and global corporations that want their brands attached to the sport have long genuflected before him.

Critics of FIFA point to the lack of transparency regarding executive salaries and resource allocations for an organization that, by its own admission, had revenue of $5.7 billion from 2011 to 2014. Policy decisions are also often taken without debate or explanation, and a small group of officials — known as the executive committee — operates with outsize power. FIFA has for years operated with little oversight and even less transparency. Alexandra Wrage, a governance consultant who once unsuccessfully attempted to help overhaul FIFA’s methods, famously labeled the organization “byzantine and impenetrable.”

Law enforcement officials said much of the inquiry involves Concacaf, one of the six regional confederations that compose FIFA. Concacaf — which stands for Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football — includes major countries like the United States and Mexico, and also tiny ones like Barbados and Montserrat.

Concacaf was led from 1990 to 2011 by Mr. Warner, the longtime head of Trinidad & Tobago’s federation. A key powerbroker in FIFA’s governing executive committee, Mr. Warner had been dogged by accusations of corruption. He was accused of illegally profiting from the resale of tickets to the 2006 World Cup, and of withholding the bonuses of the Trinidad players who participated in that tournament.

Mr. Warner resigned his positions in FIFA, Concacaf and his national association in 2011 amid mounting evidence that he had been part of an attempt to buy the votes of Caribbean federation officials in the 2010 FIFA presidential election. A 2013 Concacaf report also found that he had received tens of millions of dollars in misappropriated funds.

But according to the rules of FIFA at the time, Mr. Warner’s resignation led to the immediate closure of all ethics committee cases against him. “The presumption of innocence is maintained,” FIFA said in a short statement announcing his departure. No recent incident better encapsulated FIFA’s unusual power dynamic than the bidding for the 2018 and 2022 World Cup tournaments, which many observers found to be flawed from the start: the decision to award two tournaments at once, critics said, would invite vote-trading and other inducements.

Since only the 24 members of the executive committee would decide on the hosts, persuading even a few of them might be enough to swing the vote. Even before the vote took place, two committee members — Amos Adamu of Nigeria and Reynald Temarii of Tahiti — were suspended after an investigation by The Sunday Times caught both men on tape asking for payments in exchange for their support. It was later revealed by England’s bid chief that four ExCo members had solicited bribes from him for their votes; one asked for $2.5 million, while another, Nicolas Leoz of Paraguay, requested a knighthood.

As new accounts of bribery continued to emerge — a whistleblower who worked for the Qatar bid team claimed that several African officials were paid $1.5 million each to support Qatar — FIFA in 2012 started an investigation of the bid process. It was led by a former United States attorney, Michael J. Garcia, who spent nearly two years compiling a report. That report, however, has never been made public; instead, the top judge on the ethics committee, the German Joachim Eckert, released a summary of the report. In it, he declared that while violations of the code of ethics had occurred, they had not affected the integrity of the vote.

Within hours, Garcia had criticised Eckert’s summary as incorrect and incomplete, charging that it contained “numerous materially incomplete and erroneous representations of the facts.” Nonetheless, FIFA moved quickly to embrace the report’s absolution of the bid process. Qatar World Cup officials said the review had upheld “the integrity and quality of our bid,” And Russia’s sports minister, Vitaly Mutko, told reporters, “I hope we will not have talk about this again."
Last edited by Im_Spartacus on Wed May 27, 2015 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Dameerto » Wed May 27, 2015 5:41 am

BBC understands the arrests are in relation to the voting for the 2018 and 2022 world cups. BANG TO RIGHTS YOU BENT FUCKERS. (Totally agree with you about the timing by the way)
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Hazy2 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:51 am

Between Blatter and Berlusconi, not sure who is the most bent. I also think the dispatches program was close to exposing Rednose, Captain Marvel said Alex knows he score to his Thai contact. Referring to loan players being used to get teams into the Premier league. I hope the people around for 20 years or so get implicated. Plus Russia losing the computers used for the bidding has to be looked at, Abramovich was key to the Russians get the WC !
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby blue b4 the moon » Wed May 27, 2015 5:54 am

Hopefully this isn't like the child sex arrest cover-ups and that the arrests aren't small fry thrown to the wolves while the main guilt parties continue to be free to operate.

I am in no way trivialising peados which is of course much worse that financial corruption.
blue b4 the moon
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed May 27, 2015 6:01 am

Dameerto wrote:BBC understands the arrests are in relation to the voting for the 2018 and 2022 world cups. BANG TO RIGHTS YOU BENT FUCKERS. (Totally agree with you about the timing by the way)

Might be an interesting few days in the media out here in Qatar.........i'll post up any news, as some of the soundbites from the Qatari authorities could be quite funny as this starts to unravel for FIFA.

Even though this is a great step forwards, it's very politically telling that the feds have arrested the Fifa members for accepting bribes, but not issued arrest warrants for Qatari and Russian officials who paid them - which I'm sure must be equally illegal in US corporate law. Qatar currently has a big bribery case ongoing against officials of a university who asked for a bribe from an insurance company, and during this case the Qatari position on bribery was outlined whereby a woman was prosecuted and imprisoned last year for offering to bribe a building inspector, so both offering and requesting a bribe IS illegal in Qatar. Of course when it impacts the ruling Al-Thani family and its friends in high places, things tend to be hushed up.

An example of Qatari impunity, the Qatari ambassador to Belgium was convicted of manslaughter 2 years ago over a fire in a mall which killed a dozen nursery children, but not only has he not been jailed, he continues to hold the ambassador position shamelessly with the government's shameless support.

Of course the poor relations with Russia and the fact that Qatar hosts the biggest US airbase outside mainland USA will have nothing at all to do with them not being implicated - because if they know who took the bribes, they will sure as hell know exactly who paid them!

So even with this, there is a whiff of politics from the US feds.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed May 27, 2015 10:08 am

9 FIFA officials & 5 corporate officials arrested. And the they haven't finished.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed May 27, 2015 10:11 am

It's being reported on RTE that the bribes for the world cups run up to around 100 million euro. Fucking hell!
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed May 27, 2015 10:12 am

Swiss authorities to open criminal procedings regarding allocation of the 2018 & 2022 world cups.

Hoffa hasn't been arrested yet, but you can bet your arse he is going down at some point.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby lets all have a disco » Wed May 27, 2015 10:13 am

It's about time to be honest this bunch of CORRUPT wankers have been taking the piss for ages let's hope it a pack of cards that brings the whole thing down (including UEFA).

A reporter heard a woman crying in reception of the '5 star' hotel they are staying at.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed May 27, 2015 10:15 am

No revote according to FIFA & the presidential election will go ahead as planned.

Why don't the people who aren't bent just boycott it ? That would be simple enough surely.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed May 27, 2015 10:20 am

Ted Hughes wrote:Why don't the people who aren't bent just boycott it ? That would be simple enough surely.

Then the vote would still go ahead as planned
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby City64 » Wed May 27, 2015 10:27 am

FIFA Vice President now also been arrested according to latest BBC news .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed May 27, 2015 10:29 am

City64 wrote:FIFA Vice President now also been arrested according to latest BBC news .

Several of the arrested are vice presidents, there's a good 25 or so of them who make up the executive committee.

It's no surprise that they are focusing on them, as they are the ones who vote for the awarding of the world cups and who carve up all the territorial TV & sponsorship rights
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed May 27, 2015 10:30 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Why don't the people who aren't bent just boycott it ? That would be simple enough surely.

I was going to suggest at least 4 or 5 would miss the vote but you are probably right.

A bunch of European federations are lobbying to have the vote stopped. I imagine this could get very messy indeed if FIFA insist on continuing with it.

I think this could break the organisation. Hopefully.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed May 27, 2015 10:36 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

I was going to suggest at least 4 or 5 would miss the vote but you are probably right.

A bunch of European federations are lobbying to have the vote stopped. I imagine this could get very messy indeed if FIFA insist on continuing with it.

He'll obviously say it's still legitimate even with those arrested and any who boycott.

Alternatively they will have a vote about whether to vote......and this is how it will go down. With the final realization that someone is coming after them, if someone new does come in as president the books will probably get opened and EVERYONE who has been bang at it in the last 20 years gets exposed. Everyone still with a vote who stands to be exposed, now can't afford NOT to vote for blatter - I reckon the vote will likely be even more overwhelming than it ever has been, and every cunt with a two bit association in Vanuatu or Tuvalu will be scrambling to do everything they can to make sure Blatter gets back in
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed May 27, 2015 10:42 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

He'll obviously say it's still legitimate even with those arrested and any who boycott.

Alternatively they will have a vote about whether to vote......and this is how it will go down. With the final realization that someone is coming after them, if someone new does come in as president the books will probably get opened and EVERYONE who has been bang at it in the last 20 years gets exposed. Everyone still with a vote who stands to be exposed, now can't afford NOT to vote for blatter - I reckon the vote will likely be even more overwhelming than it ever has been, and every cunt with a two bit association in Vanuatu or Tuvalu will be scrambling to do everything they can to make sure Blatter gets back in

Sky are claiming 6 people have already pleaded guilty. If true we know what that means: they are going to grass the fucking lot up!

Blatter is going to jail.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum