sterling

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: sterling

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:32 pm

And then carries on to Australia.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby blues2win » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:37 pm

We need to pay up and get this done now.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:44 pm

Chelsea probably steps up and spends the 50m and we look like dicks again.

Ridiculous.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby zuricity » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:26 pm

"He can't come ".
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:36 pm

zuricity wrote:"He can't come ".

Did his girl-friend tell you that Zurich ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby zuricity » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:02 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
zuricity wrote:"He can't come ".

Did his girl-friend tell you that Zurich ??

NAH ! Sorry it's a Python thing....

Rather sums up the situation though. Eric Idle as an MC, building someone up to be the greatest ever Stage presence.
After all his BS, someone shouts from the wings "He can't come"
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby PrezIke » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:30 am

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -wing.html

Quite a good piece this.

The point is, it’s not easy getting where Sterling has. Top-flight football does not breed balanced individuals. It breeds single-minded, intensely driven young men who prioritise their careers over everything else because, if they want to make it, they have to.

So they shut everything else out, including friendships and relationships. A player has to be intensely selfish just to have a chance. They’re not particularly normal. Most of the time, the normal ones don’t make it. If you want rounded, grounded individuals, talk to a teacher or a nurse. Definitely not a footballer. Definitely not somebody who has cut himself off from most of society.

Sure, Sterling could have been more tactful in his dealings with Liverpool. Maybe he could have disguised the fact that he wanted to leave. Maybe he could have been more cute. But maybe he figures, why bother? It has to be that way if you’re going to make it like he has. If you’re going to play for one of the top clubs in the Premier League and the England team, then you’re going to have to sacrifice most of your youth for it.

Again, you won’t find anybody offering any sympathy for that. Nor should they. Just don’t expect these young men to play nice when they make decisions about their future. Sterling has no roots in Liverpool. He has no real emotional attachment to the club or the city. The media and the fans demand that attachment but the hard truth is that it’s an unrealistic expectation.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby blues2win » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:47 am

Oliver Holt tweets in light of City's improved offer(40 plus 5 add ons) Sterling 'highly unlikely' to go on tour with Liverpool. Sounds like it's nearly done.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby sheblue » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:48 am

Few sources on twitter saying it's done.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:59 am

The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby blues2win » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:08 am

Liverpool Echo running that Sterling definitely not on the plane. Medical tomorrow?
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Green & Blue » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:37 am

Yeah good old reliable sky sources understand he won't be travelling to Thailand.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Sideshow Bob » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:58 am

45M! fucking hell this kid is going to be under immense pressure to produce from day 1.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:01 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:45M! fucking hell this kid is going to be under immense pressure to produce from day 1.

Keep him in the reserves for a bit, til it all dies down. Bring him on for a few games here and there, let him settle in.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby MilnersJaw » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:02 pm

sterling needs to just hand in a transfer request and stop being a little bitch about it. We're the only club chasing him it seems so paying this price is still insane.
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Silver

Postby twosips » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:04 pm

He'll be a great signing. Can't wait.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:45 pm

This is from the Guardian:

Fingers on buzzers for a quickfire numbers round: £35,000 a week; £100,000 a week; “He is not signing for £700,000, £800,000, £900,000 a week.” Name the footballer. You knew instantly that it was Raheem Sterling – and the figures were, in turn, his current salary, Liverpool’s new contract offer, and the dismissive response of his agent, Aidy Ward. Meanwhile Sterling’s potential transfer fee increasingly seems subject to Weimar Republic levels of hyperinflation – from £40m earlier in the week to £60m in one Sunday paper.

Meanwhile the country appears split down the middle. On the one hand we have Sterling the wunderkind, who made his England debut at 17 and won Europe’s Golden Boy 2014. On the other, there are the doomsayers who warn that he might be another Aaron Lennon, his football talents prematurely frozen in carbonite. As one poster on a Liverpool forum put it recently: “His shooting has been poor, his crossing poor, and the only thing he was good at was taking selfies on his mid-season holiday.”

Then there are the professional fence‑sitters, who fatuously state that Sterling is a work in progress. Of course he is – he’s 20. Even Cristiano Ronaldo and Leo Messi were at that age. A far more interesting exercise is to try to figure out how Sterling compares with other top attacking midfielders/wing forwards when they were 20 – and that requires a broader range of figures than ones with pound signs and rows of zeros after them.

So far in his Premier League career Sterling has scored 18 goals in 95 games (a rate of 0.23 goals per 90 minutes) and 14 assists (0.18 per 90 minutes). This season – during which he has turned 20 – he has seven goals, seven assists and has created 75 chances in 35 games. Those numbers are pretty good. Especially given Liverpool have lost Luis Suárez, been largely without Daniel Sturridge, and have seen Steven Gerrard coming out much the worse from a crunching challenge with Father Time.

In particular those 75 chances created stand out. The season Ronaldo turned 20, he created 49 chances in 33 games for Manchester United, and Messi managed 40 from 28 matches. David Silva registered 40 from 34 matches, Gareth Bale 39 from 23 matches and Theo Walcott 22 from 25 matches. Sterling trumps them all.

Indeed, only Eden Hazard and Mesut Özil posted better chance creation numbers at the same age. And remember, Sterling did this in a Liverpool side that struggled to get past 50 Premier League goals. Last season they scored 101.

Admittedly, Sterling isn’t quite at the very top table when you rank players based on their goals and assists by the age of 20. Lionel Messi stands alone (he was scoring nearly three goals every four games even then) with Hazard and Arjen Robben the next best, albeit in the weaker Ligue 1 and Eredivisie. But Sterling’s numbers either match up, or are better than, everyone else in his position.

The comparisons with Sterling and Ronaldo at 20 are also worth exploring. At that age Ronaldo was not the goalscoring terminator he is now. According to Opta, he had played 64 Premier League games, scoring nine goals (0.2 per 90 minutes) and creating eight assists (0.18 per 90 minutes). Of course these numbers don’t tell you everything. Ronaldo was already an immense talent. He had starred in an FA Cup final and had a decent Euro 2004. But at 20 his raw numbers weren’t any better than Sterling’s. He certainly wasn’t a world beater.

There are other caveats, too. Young players mature at different rates, and past performance is not always a guarantee of future success. But as Omar Chaudhuri, the head of football intelligence at 21st Club points out, Sterling’s numbers have not been inflated by unsustainable hot streaks, which therefore makes what we have seen so far a decent indicator of what will happen from now on.

Chaudhuri, who works with several top European clubs, also makes another point. When it comes to highly rated young players, the transfer market has often got it right. He points to the list of the 25 most expensive under-23 signings in history. The top five? Neymar, James Rodríguez, Gianluigi Buffon, Rio Ferdinand and Sergio Agüero. Wayne Rooney, Fernando Torres (from Atlético Madrid to Liverpool), Hazard, Robben and Ronaldinho are also on the list.

There are duds in there too – Andy Carroll for one. But there are far fewer mistakes than in the list of big-money transfers from 23-30, which includes Kaká’s transfer to Real Madrid. Torres’s move to Chelsea, Gaizka Mendieta’s move to Lazio and many other flops.

As Chaudhuri puts it: “It’s also interesting that a lot of prodigies in Sterling’s position – Ronaldo, Hazard, Mata, Bale, Özil – were at least 21 before they made their first big-money move, which tells us a couple of things. First, that clubs are already willing to spend big on Sterling – and probably have been for a year, so since he’s been 19 – reflects his ability and potential. And second that his value is likely to be nowhere near its peak.”

Does this mean Sterling will develop into one of the best players in the world? We can’t be certain. But we can say this. There is an enormous amount to like about his football already and the odds are that he will get much better.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Spurge » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:56 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:This is from the Guardian:

Fingers on buzzers for a quickfire numbers round: £35,000 a week; £100,000 a week; “He is not signing for £700,000, £800,000, £900,000 a week.” Name the footballer. You knew instantly that it was Raheem Sterling – and the figures were, in turn, his current salary, Liverpool’s new contract offer, and the dismissive response of his agent, Aidy Ward. Meanwhile Sterling’s potential transfer fee increasingly seems subject to Weimar Republic levels of hyperinflation – from £40m earlier in the week to £60m in one Sunday paper.

Meanwhile the country appears split down the middle. On the one hand we have Sterling the wunderkind, who made his England debut at 17 and won Europe’s Golden Boy 2014. On the other, there are the doomsayers who warn that he might be another Aaron Lennon, his football talents prematurely frozen in carbonite. As one poster on a Liverpool forum put it recently: “His shooting has been poor, his crossing poor, and the only thing he was good at was taking selfies on his mid-season holiday.”

Then there are the professional fence‑sitters, who fatuously state that Sterling is a work in progress. Of course he is – he’s 20. Even Cristiano Ronaldo and Leo Messi were at that age. A far more interesting exercise is to try to figure out how Sterling compares with other top attacking midfielders/wing forwards when they were 20 – and that requires a broader range of figures than ones with pound signs and rows of zeros after them.

So far in his Premier League career Sterling has scored 18 goals in 95 games (a rate of 0.23 goals per 90 minutes) and 14 assists (0.18 per 90 minutes). This season – during which he has turned 20 – he has seven goals, seven assists and has created 75 chances in 35 games. Those numbers are pretty good. Especially given Liverpool have lost Luis Suárez, been largely without Daniel Sturridge, and have seen Steven Gerrard coming out much the worse from a crunching challenge with Father Time.

In particular those 75 chances created stand out. The season Ronaldo turned 20, he created 49 chances in 33 games for Manchester United, and Messi managed 40 from 28 matches. David Silva registered 40 from 34 matches, Gareth Bale 39 from 23 matches and Theo Walcott 22 from 25 matches. Sterling trumps them all.

Indeed, only Eden Hazard and Mesut Özil posted better chance creation numbers at the same age. And remember, Sterling did this in a Liverpool side that struggled to get past 50 Premier League goals. Last season they scored 101.

Admittedly, Sterling isn’t quite at the very top table when you rank players based on their goals and assists by the age of 20. Lionel Messi stands alone (he was scoring nearly three goals every four games even then) with Hazard and Arjen Robben the next best, albeit in the weaker Ligue 1 and Eredivisie. But Sterling’s numbers either match up, or are better than, everyone else in his position.

The comparisons with Sterling and Ronaldo at 20 are also worth exploring. At that age Ronaldo was not the goalscoring terminator he is now. According to Opta, he had played 64 Premier League games, scoring nine goals (0.2 per 90 minutes) and creating eight assists (0.18 per 90 minutes). Of course these numbers don’t tell you everything. Ronaldo was already an immense talent. He had starred in an FA Cup final and had a decent Euro 2004. But at 20 his raw numbers weren’t any better than Sterling’s. He certainly wasn’t a world beater.

There are other caveats, too. Young players mature at different rates, and past performance is not always a guarantee of future success. But as Omar Chaudhuri, the head of football intelligence at 21st Club points out, Sterling’s numbers have not been inflated by unsustainable hot streaks, which therefore makes what we have seen so far a decent indicator of what will happen from now on.

Chaudhuri, who works with several top European clubs, also makes another point. When it comes to highly rated young players, the transfer market has often got it right. He points to the list of the 25 most expensive under-23 signings in history. The top five? Neymar, James Rodríguez, Gianluigi Buffon, Rio Ferdinand and Sergio Agüero. Wayne Rooney, Fernando Torres (from Atlético Madrid to Liverpool), Hazard, Robben and Ronaldinho are also on the list.

There are duds in there too – Andy Carroll for one. But there are far fewer mistakes than in the list of big-money transfers from 23-30, which includes Kaká’s transfer to Real Madrid. Torres’s move to Chelsea, Gaizka Mendieta’s move to Lazio and many other flops.

As Chaudhuri puts it: “It’s also interesting that a lot of prodigies in Sterling’s position – Ronaldo, Hazard, Mata, Bale, Özil – were at least 21 before they made their first big-money move, which tells us a couple of things. First, that clubs are already willing to spend big on Sterling – and probably have been for a year, so since he’s been 19 – reflects his ability and potential. And second that his value is likely to be nowhere near its peak.”

Does this mean Sterling will develop into one of the best players in the world? We can’t be certain. But we can say this. There is an enormous amount to like about his football already and the odds are that he will get much better.

That is an interesting read. I've been in the sign him up camp since day one and that tells me factually why I've felt that. Equally as they point out it's no guarantee but it's enough to make an investment in for me.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby twosips » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:59 pm

State of that list. We moan about Txiki, but fuck me...that's awful.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:07 pm

twosips wrote:

State of that list. We moan about Txiki, but fuck me...that's awful.

They're basically losing Sterling and getting Benteke with this fee. That's not good business either.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum