sterling

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: sterling

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Jun 26, 2015 6:26 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:This is just unbelievable broken british journalism

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 48338.html

After getting as far as the description "big spending Manchester City", I couldn't be bothered to read any further.

NO you have to read it, its really unbelievable, they have used Football manager to say we wont win the league with him

I did as you suggested WW and went back to read it.

It's totally pathetic at best and if they were as successful with their predictions, as they seem to confidently assert, they would have won the Lottery long ago.

If it was April 1st, it might have been slightly humorous........

It makes you wonder about the people who write this drivel and the editors who allow it to go out. This is lazy journalism at it's very worst. Wonder how the simulator for the dippers with or without Sterling went. Relegation perchance?

It's the sort of article a ten year old would write

It was somin rice who IS the sports editor. ycnmiu
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:34 pm

Young Raheem would be an excellent signing. Forget the cost.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby MilnersJaw » Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:57 am

Some final thoughts on sterling since if you are against signing in you are automatically jumped on and called a cunt.

I would take him if the price is reasonable, no more than 20 million but the figures that are being quoted and throwing around are insane. It doesn't help when people say stupid shit like "this is the norm now" and "its the price you have to pay these days" Is it fuck. We got aguero for £37 million and we don't need to explain that. But 40-50 million for a kid based on potential, yes fucking potential which is the word that keeps getting thrown around here, is again insane. If we are looking to spend that kind of money on one play (which we never have done) it should be someone who is world class, not some kid because of A) potential and B) english.

I look at the big picture and signing a 20 year old kid who is already an arrogant cunt based on potential is a massive risk. The pressure he would be under to perform with such a high transfer would be huge; we have already seen how weak minded he is, after having a decent-ish start to a season, he went shit after the media storm that followed. A 'world class' player looking to get out of a club would be still performing showing buyers that he is worth their money, not being average. Also, like yaya he has a cunt of an agent, how fast would he be fucking off, if he does become great?

I'd rathwe we buy someone who is already proven to be class and just another english/homegrown player for cheap as a squad player since people keep making that excuse for sterling is that we need an english player.

if we buy him and he turns out to be as good as people reckon, I will eat my hat, but he is english and english players and football have got progressively worse over the last 10 years so I doubt it.
Still here.
MilnersJaw
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Silver

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:23 am

MilnersJaw wrote:Some final thoughts on sterling since if you are against signing in you are automatically jumped on and called a cunt.

I would take him if the price is reasonable, no more than 20 million but the figures that are being quoted and throwing around are insane. It doesn't help when people say stupid shit like "this is the norm now" and "its the price you have to pay these days" Is it fuck. We got aguero for £37 million and we don't need to explain that. But 40-50 million for a kid based on potential, yes fucking potential which is the word that keeps getting thrown around here, is again insane. If we are looking to spend that kind of money on one play (which we never have done) it should be someone who is world class, not some kid because of A) potential and B) english.

I look at the big picture and signing a 20 year old kid who is already an arrogant cunt based on potential is a massive risk. The pressure he would be under to perform with such a high transfer would be huge; we have already seen how weak minded he is, after having a decent-ish start to a season, he went shit after the media storm that followed. A 'world class' player looking to get out of a club would be still performing showing buyers that he is worth their money, not being average. Also, like yaya he has a cunt of an agent, how fast would he be fucking off, if he does become great?

I'd rathwe we buy someone who is already proven to be class and just another english/homegrown player for cheap as a squad player since people keep making that excuse for sterling is that we need an english player.

if we buy him and he turns out to be as good as people reckon, I will eat my hat, but he is english and english players and football have got progressively worse over the last 10 years so I doubt it.

I'm very dubious about signing Sterling and I have grave misgivings over the potential fee we're going to have to pay to, ostensibly, 'get him'.

I feel MJ has summed up and enunciated my feelings perfectly and, for my money, this is an excellent and highly pertinent post.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Im_Spartacus » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:42 am

MilnersJaw wrote:Some final thoughts on sterling since if you are against signing in you are automatically jumped on and called a cunt.

I think most, if not all of us agree on the point about the money, but at the end of the day fans don't dictate the market, buying and selling clubs do - and ultimately he is worth whatever the market decides he's worth. If the club think he is a gamble worth spunking 40 or 50m on, then so be it. I don't like it, I don't see the value in it, but in 5 years time he could be worth double, so it's a gamble the club are taking with their eyes wide open.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Paul68 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:01 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

I'm very dubious about signing Sterling and I have grave misgivings over the potential fee we're going to have to pay to, ostensibly, 'get him'.

I feel MJ has summed up and enunciated my feelings perfectly and, for my money, this is an excellent and highly pertinent post.

I'm a norrible cunt already so don't give the hairy crack of a rats arse if I get called one again.
Mj has got it spot on. It's the arrogance of sterling that worries me. He's got nothing to back it up with... Except "potential"... And fifty million is fucking ludicrous for potential.
It's a no from me... At fifty anyway... Far too much.
I wish there was a way to know you are in the good old days....before you've actually left them...
Paul68
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: All the 17-18!

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:26 am

Yes, we got Aguero for £38m, but we got slated for it then as well & called 'insane', same with Yaya.

Plus, that was 4 years ago. In the meantime, Bale went for £85m, Suarez for £75m, James for £63m, Di Maria for £60m, Cavani for £55m, David Luiz for £50m and the likes of Mangala, Shaw or Illarramendi for over £30m each.
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby Original Dub » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:33 am

I Just Blue Myself wrote:Yes, we got Aguero for £38m, but we got slated for it then as well & called 'insane', same with Yaya.

Plus, that was 4 years ago. In the meantime, Bale went for £85m, Suarez for £75m, James for £63m, Di Maria for £60m, Cavani for £55m, David Luiz for £50m and the likes of Mangala, Shaw or Illarramendi for over £30m each.

Thanks for saving me the effort.
Original Dub

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:36 am

38 mill for agüero was a bargain. It was at the time and even more now. Any journo who couldn't see that in 2011 clearly should never ever ever ever be read or listened to again.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby clippo22 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:58 am

There are so many things that make up a players transfer 'value'. Seems like most people are basing it on ability and potential. But there are so many other factors that affect a transfer value.

How long is left on the contract?
How much do the club need or want to sell?
Are they selling to a rival?
What other options do the buying club have?
How much do you have to give to other clubs because of sell on fees?
How much will they have to spend to replace him?
How many other clubs are interested?
Does he add to the home grown quota?
Potential value increase?

All of that to consider as well as the players ability and potential!

i think when you consider all of them, and Sterling ticks most of them boxes, then £50m is a fair price and we should just get it done!
clippo22
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: City!!!
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby PeterParker » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:27 am

Really interesting, but seems in the past two weeks are only rumours about him coming here, no other team involved.

Might mean something, might not.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:41 am

What are you basing your claim that he's arrogant on.

As for buying squad fillers that are homegrown, we've been down that road and it was a disaster, we need to improve our first XI and the players that drop out of the first XI as a result become the squad players.

For me the price is irrelevant, the most important factor is will he improve our first XI? I believe he will, secondary to that is that he's homegrown which solves a big issue for us too.

This obsession with price is media driven bollox as far as I'm concerned.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Cocacolajojo1 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:57 am

Sports media driven bollox moreover. It would be interesting if they put journos with an education in economics who wrote about football from that type of perspective, have a feeling it would generate completely different stories. Probably more interesting as well.

In the end though, the object of the game is to score goal and win things. This whole accounting thing that has invaded the business is frustrating to say the least. Pay people what they want and be done with it, as long as it doesn't leed to the club doing a Portsmouth I couldn't care less.
"I used to be 6 foot 2 with curly hair, look what it's done to me"

"In my career so far it's the most important goal. You score the goal in the last minute to win the title. You're not sure if that's ever going to happen in your career again. I wish I could tell you how I did it but I can't. I thought for all the world that Mario was going to have a go himself but he just moved it on one more and it fell at my feet and I just thought: 'Hit the target, hit it as hard as you can and hit the target.' And it went in."
Cocacolajojo1
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Ireland 08-09

Postby City64 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:05 pm

I Just Blue Myself wrote:Yes, we got Aguero for £38m, but we got slated for it then as well & called 'insane', same with Yaya.

Excellent post and my thoughts exactly . Should shut a few cunts up tbh .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Sat Jun 27, 2015 12:11 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:

Sports media driven bollox moreover. It would be interesting if they put journos with an education in economics who wrote about football from that type of perspective, have a feeling it would generate completely different stories. Probably more interesting as well.

In the end though, the object of the game is to score goal and win things. This whole accounting thing that has invaded the business is frustrating to say the least. Pay people what they want and be done with it, as long as it doesn't leed to the club doing a Portsmouth I couldn't care less.

Absolutely. Martin Samuel summed it up quite nicely in answer to some philistine gooner or such blabbing on about businesses, as in football clubs, being obliged to make a profit.

Hey, Mike. Why don’t we just do away with the football altogether and have competitive accounting? That picture you paint certainly sounds fascinating. I’m sure Sky would pay considerably more than £5 billion to watch a man in a suit make all the little columns add up.
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:05 pm

Some right fucking bollocks in this thread.

The idea that people saying 'that's what it costs' is stupid ?

How the fuck can it be stupid, if that's what it actually costs ? It's a fucking fact!

There is a choice of course. To keep the money & leave the squad place open or buy some more cheaper homegrown players to go in there. If that's what people want then fine.

I don't. I would have liked us to get some of our academy kids involved last season in case some took to it & filled that role, but we didn't so it's an empty space in the squad.

So that's the choice: keep the money, buy cheap, or pay big for soneone like Sterling.

Don't start bullshitting about signing fucking world class players for that price, because for one, we can't unless they are available & two, we are trying to.

And guess what; if/when we sign them, we have a bunch of homegrown gaps in the squad & we have the choice of leaving holes in the squad, buying cheap players, or paying the money for people like Sterling.

That's the choice. The rest, is fucking shite, muddying the debate.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:13 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Some right fucking bollocks in this thread.

How the fuck can it be stupid, if that's what it actually costs ? It's a fucking fact!

There is a choice of course. To keep the money & leave the squad place open or buy some more cheaper homegrown players to go in there. If that's what people want then fine.

I don't. I would have liked us to get some of our academy kids involved last season in case some took to it & filled that role, but we didn't so it's an empty space in the squad.

So that's the choice: keep the money, buy cheap, or pay big for soneone like Sterling.

Don't start bullshitting about signing fucking world class players for that price, because for one, we can't unless they are available & two, we are trying to.

And guess what; if/when we sign them, we have a bunch of homegrown gaps in the squad & we have the choice of leaving holes in the squad, buying cheap players, or paying the money for people like Sterling.

The choice is not and never will be sterling, kids or nothing. That's your opinion shouted and repeated as fact.

For that to be true you'd need to be assuming that's our only business of the window. What's to stop us fucking off jovetic and bringing in a home grown player later? What's to stop us off loading 3-4 players and promoting one or two and buying a couple? The point some of us have tried to make is that we feel 50m could possibly buy us better if we weren't obsessed with him being homegrown. Now the plan may include him and that's obviously not gonna change no matter what I say, but despite 3-4 silly transfer fees in recent years, better players (in my opinion) can and do still move for smaller fees. The market is going up and sure we're minted, but if you'd told me even 6 months ago that our 1st 50m pound player would be the gobshite that told Brendan steady Id have face palmed then as I'm doing now. You can disagree all you like, but please stop telling everyone that your opinion is fact.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Original Dub » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:21 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Some right fucking bollocks in this thread.

My thoughts pretty much.
Original Dub

Postby Tesl » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:47 pm

I swear Ted is the only person that consistently posts sensible accurate things. Everyone else on this board posts some right rubbish sometimes.

Sterling is worth a lot because he would already improve our first team and is only 20, its not only potential we would be paying for.

He probably isn't worth 50, and I hate seeing Liverpool fans happy so hope we can get him for less, but at the end of the day I want to see our squad as good as possible and winning things. I don't give a shit about how much it costs, its not my money that is being spent.

I think Sterling would be a cracking signing and I really hope it happens.
Tesl
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: City

Postby Mase » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:48 pm

Tesl wrote:I swear Ted is the only person that consistently posts sensible accurate things. Everyone else on this board posts some right rubbish sometimes.

So fuck off then. No one will miss you.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum