sterling

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: sterling

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:35 pm

blues2win wrote:Yes 44 plus 5 in add ons. Liverpool pretty well won the fight over price but we got our man. Delph seems a distant memory.

We won the fight, mate. We took their best player from them.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby london blue 2 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:36 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
trueblue64 wrote:BBC Sport ‏@BBCSport · 2m2 minutes ago
BREAKING: Liverpool have reached an agreement with Manchester City over the £49m transfer of Raheem Sterling pic.twitter.com/OU2pDI6HnL

Hahaha, £49 million. Glad it's done, anyhow. Welcome, Raheem.

Glad we refused to pay 50....
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:40 pm

LIVERPOOL’S SANCTIMONIOUS HYPOCRISY OVER STERLING TO CITY IS LAUGHABLE
by Rob Pollard

12 JUL 2015 27

With Raheem Sterling’s move to Manchester City edging closer to completion, Liverpool, their supporters and the gang of ex-players who have queued up to castigate him should take a long, hard look at themselves and refresh the collective short-term memory…
It’s been this summer’s most protracted Premier League transfer. Raheem Sterling is wanted by Manchester City. He’s made it perfectly clear he wants to leave Liverpool. City have failed with two sizeable bids but are expected to return with an increased offer soon. The sense of inevitability that he will end up at the Etihad has made it one of the one most boring transfer sagas in recent history, played out to a chorus of sanctimony from some of Liverpool’s most decorated stars.

In an interview with the BBC back in April, Sterling announced he had rejected Liverpool’s offer of a new contract believed to be worth £100,000 per week, a deal Brendan Rodgers had described as “incredible”. Sterling claimed the decision was not based on money but rather a desire to win trophies. The interview was not authorised by Liverpool and, quite rightly, the club were upset. It was a poor decision guided by his agent, Aidy Ward, and his stock with the Liverpool fans, who heckled him at the club’s kit launch a few weeks later, tumbled in an instant.

But what has followed has been a systematic dismantling of a young man’s reputation, with hypocrisy in full flow on Merseyside. The supporters who once agreed with Rodgers’ assertion that he was the best young player in Europe, suddenly believed he was second-rate with an inflated view of his own ability. Jordon Ibe is a more talented player – the future of the football club – and Sterling can rot in the reserves. What’s more, the idea he would want to move to a club with a better chance of success is seen as scandalous, an opinion they certainly weren’t as quick to voice when the 15-year-old Sterling left Queens Park Rangers to join them back in 2010, or, indeed, last summer when Rodgers raided Southampton for three of their biggest names. “It’s just the way it works,” said Rodgers when stripping Ronald Koeman of his assets 12 months ago. Indeed it is, Brendan.

Their army of high-profile ex-players have also been on co-ordinated attack. Jamie Carragher weighed in early doors. “For a 20-year-old and his agent to be taking on Liverpool FC in the public domain is a disgrace,” said Carragher, before claiming Liverpool’s run to the FA Cup semi-final, where they were beaten by a distinctly average Aston Villa side, was definitive evidence they were capable of quenching Sterling’s thirst for silverware.

John Barnes rather ham-fistedly suggested Sterling had not yet achieved anything and therefore should remain at Liverpool (talk about missing the point), and Phil Thompson said he has “far too high opinion of himself.” You couldn’t make it up.

Steven Gerrard also wanted to leave the club in 2005. “Steven has told us he will not accept our offer of an improved and extended contract because he wants to leave,” read a Liverpool club statement at the time. This, though, has been largely airbrushed out of history. Gerrard eventually stayed and is seen as emblematic of everything good about Liverpool: a loyal, one-club man who just “gets” what the club are all about. Sterling, a Londoner with Jamaican roots, is inexplicably expected to follow the same path.

His decision this week to not turn up for training in order to force the move has seen the vitriol increase, with Gerrard himself saying “I’m not happy with all that carry-on. You don’t have to throw in illness or refuse to go on tour.” Liverpool fans have taken to Twitter to criticize him further, with some suggesting they want to see him confined to the reserves for two years whilst his contract runs down. Contrast that with the treatment given to Marcos Rojo and Gareth Bale, who both engaged in the same kind of tactics when they wanted to switch to Manchester United and Real Madrid, respectively, and it becomes clear Sterling has been given a raw deal.

Liverpool are a club obsessed with the past. Their huge success in the 70s and 80s means their supporters and ex-pros have struggled to come to terms with their new status as underachievers. They see themselves as a huge club in the mix for silverware when the reality is somewhat different. Sterling sees things differently and is therefore castigated and publicly tried.

If he does sign – which now looks certain – City will be getting a hugely talented 20-year-old who has shown already in his short career he is capable of playing for a team challenging regularly for honours. He’s young, has pace to burn, is home-grown and displays bravery every time he steps on to the pitch, always wanting the ball in a bid to try and create. He firmly ticks a number of much-needed boxes for Manuel Pellegrini. His decision-making is lacking and his finishing needs work, but City know there are few players his age in world football who have the same level of potential.

Deep down, Liverpool know they are losing a valuable asset. It’s just the way it works, though.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby john@staustell » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:41 pm

John Aldridge on sky. Cliché central or what?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:43 pm

john@staustell wrote:John Aldridge on sky. Cliché central or what?

He's not wearing a City shirt, is he?
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Paul68 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:47 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:45M! fucking hell this kid is going to be under immense pressure to produce from day 1.

This is why I said no if it's 50mill.
I'm worried he's going to get so much stick if he doesn't score a hat trick in every game and get 50 assists etc etc..! too much pressure. He WILL make mistakes and have off days - but will get crucified every time he does and that's a lot to take on.

Hope he can cope and turns out to be a star for us.
I wish there was a way to know you are in the good old days....before you've actually left them...
Paul68
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: All the 17-18!

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:56 pm

jimmygrimble2 wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:45M! fucking hell this kid is going to be under immense pressure to produce from day 1.

This is why I said no if it's 50mill.
I'm worried he's going to get so much stick if he doesn't score a hat trick in every game and get 50 assists etc etc..! too much pressure. He WILL make mistakes and have off days - but will get crucified every time he does and that's a lot to take on.

Hope he can cope and turns out to be a star for us.

Crucified by the media I assume you mean and not City fans.Liverpool, it's fans and the media have tried to slag him off as much as possible and damage his career but he will rebuild it ( if indeed it needs rebuilding) at City with great performances and trophies.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Green & Blue » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:03 pm

Delighted this appears to be finally nearing conclusion.Think he's going to be a very exciting signing, the kind of player who gets bums off seats when he's on the ball.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby blues2win » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:07 pm

Phil Thomson slagging off Sterling. Good but not great no tears shed. What bitter cunts the dippers are. Suarez now Sterling. Welcome to your campaign for the Europa Cup.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Green & Blue » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:18 pm

blues2win wrote:Phil Thomson slagging off Sterling. Good but not great no tears shed. What bitter cunts the dippers are. Suarez now Sterling. Welcome to your campaign for the Europa Cup.

You can only laugh at the way the scousers have reacted to this, he was without question the best young talent in Europe until he wanted out.
Green & Blue
David Silva's Silky Skills

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Dub City » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:24 pm

He has looked very good on occasions playing with Liverpool , imagine how good He can can look with the space and chances Silva is gonna create for him. Don't think there is a better player of his age around and certainly not a home grown one. It's not my money so I won't get too hung up on the price
Dub City
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Moses » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:24 pm

Unjustifiable. The price tag for a guy who scored seven goals I'd a joke. Another flop for Pelligrini.
Moses
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:26 pm

Providing he gets over all the shit he's had thrown at him last season and this summer, and he not just develops as a player but mentally, I think this will be an incredible signing. When he had Suarez to move with, he was the most exciting thing I'd seen in years. Linking up with serge and Spanish Dave, potentially he could develop into the next world superstar.

Dead happy with this. Tell Gregg's to put the chairs back out.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Yffi_88 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:28 pm

Hoping Liverpool don't spend the money on a team that challenges for the title. I'm dead worried.
City Are Back...
Yffi_88
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby sheblue » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:32 pm

Great that it's done and always felt it would end up around 45+ so no moaning about price.
Kevin and Paul next.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby twosips » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:45 pm

Yffi_88 wrote:Hoping Liverpool don't spend the money on a team that challenges for the title. I'm dead worried.

Hahahhahahahahhahaha. The likelihood of that.

Hilarious.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby blues2win » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:51 pm

I dare say they'll spend most of their 35 million odd up front on Benteke's reserve price. I seem to remember Lallana and Lovren agitating to get a move to the dippers. No sympathy from the dippers towards Southampton then. Hypocrites.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

My favourite player is: david silva

Postby nottsblue » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:58 pm

twosips wrote:
Yffi_88 wrote:Hoping Liverpool don't spend the money on a team that challenges for the title. I'm dead worried.

Hilarious.

+1

Dead worried?

I hope you are drunk or under the weather because if you mean that seriously....Jesus wept
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mase » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:14 pm

nottsblue wrote:
twosips wrote:

Hilarious.

+1

Dead worried?

I hope you are drunk or under the weather because if you mean that seriously....Jesus wept

He's being sarcastic.
We need to remember the murdering pricks aren't getting £49 million for him. QPR are getting part of the fee as well. I'm assuming they put a 20-25% clause on him.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby feedthegreek » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:26 pm

Aldridge says hes overpriced 35 milliion for andy carrol he was a real bargain.
feedthegreek
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum