This Weeks Other Games | Sat 2 - Mon 4 May 15

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: This Weeks Other Games | Sat 2 - Mon 4 May 15

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu May 07, 2015 12:34 am

Missing Ribery and Robben is the same as Barca losing Messi and Iniesta.

Bayern were never going to get fuckall out of this game.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu May 07, 2015 2:05 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:Missing Ribery and Robben is the same as Barca losing Messi and Iniesta.

Exactly.

The fact they held them for 77 mins was impressive I felt.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Hazy2 » Thu May 07, 2015 6:11 am

A Couple of players, a coach who not so long ago was facing a player and fan revolt. Football hey turns in no time. Pep would be a cast off if we take him. Still nothing to touch Barca once they had scored all be it from Nuer and a fullback making a schoolboy error. Bayerns plans were good, and still got nothing. Both teams show how far most of us are from winning the CL.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu May 07, 2015 6:38 am

Hazy2 wrote:A Couple of players, a coach who not so long ago was facing a player and fan revolt. Football hey turns in no time. Pep would be a cast off if we take him. Still nothing to touch Barca once they had scored all be it from Nuer and a fullback making a schoolboy error. Bayerns plans were good, and still got nothing. Both teams show how far most of us are from winning the CL.

what?

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby bayblue » Thu May 07, 2015 7:07 am

What was clear from the TV coverage is how so many commentators and pundits look through rose coloured glasses as the "elite" teams.

Just before the second goal they were purring about the composure and confidence of the defenders. Meanwhile in real life the keeper was exhibiting worse distribution than Hart and the defenders and midfielders were either dropping their mates in it or even on a few occasions passing into touch.

If that'd been City the commentary would have all been about how our nerves were getting to us and it's just further evidence that we are shit in Europe.

Bayern were lucky only to concede 3.
bayblue
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Hazy2 » Thu May 07, 2015 7:31 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:A Couple of players, a coach who not so long ago was facing a player and fan revolt. Football hey turns in no time. Pep would be a cast off if we take him. Still nothing to touch Barca once they had scored all be it from Nuer and a fullback making a schoolboy error. Bayerns plans were good, and still got nothing. Both teams show how far most of us are from winning the CL.

what?

cheers

Barca were in crisis 6 months ago Messi and the manager had fallen out. Cheers
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Original Dub » Thu May 07, 2015 7:43 am

bayblue wrote:What was clear from the TV coverage is how so many commentators and pundits look through rose coloured glasses as the "elite" teams.

Just before the second goal they were purring about the composure and confidence of the defenders. Meanwhile in real life the keeper was exhibiting worse distribution than Hart and the defenders and midfielders were either dropping their mates in it or even on a few occasions passing into touch.

If that'd been City the commentary would have all been about how our nerves were getting to us and it's just further evidence that we are shit in Europe.

Bayern were lucky only to concede 3.

Exactly.

You'd almost think they were biased.
Original Dub

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu May 07, 2015 8:30 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:Missing Ribery and Robben is the same as Barca losing Messi and Iniesta.

I hate to be a pedant, but I will be anyway., but that is precisely what Bayern got out of the game.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Wonderwall » Thu May 07, 2015 9:08 am

Such a shame, I would have loved the TV camera to pan over and see Pellegrini in the stands hiding his grin with scarf and them jump out of the seat and piss himself when Messi made a mug out Boateng.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu May 07, 2015 9:21 am

Hazy2 wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

what?

cheers

I actually think that what it showed was that in most cases, unless you are uncommonly lucky, have an extrodinary team, or are in a bad year, 'b' list players alone will not win the Champions League. For all of our faults & Bayern's faults, swap Messi & Suarez for a couple of players & we/Bayern win.

The most important thing about winning the Champions League is having a few real top players in the team. The more the better. Without them, it's just down to luck, whoever your manager is.

Aguero , our one top player, kept us in it (and Boateng was dogshit v him as well)
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Sister of fu » Thu May 07, 2015 9:37 am

Has the world go into melt down over Boateng being dumped on his arse like it did when Milner got nutmegged by the greatest player to have played the game??
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby blues2win » Thu May 07, 2015 9:38 am

That's why we're going all out for Pogba if the Press today are to be believed. It will be very difficult because there's a lot of other interest but we must pull out all the stops. Yaya was an A list player but he isn't any more. At his best Silva's up there too.
blues2win
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby twosips » Thu May 07, 2015 9:46 am

Sister of fu wrote:Has the world go into melt down over Boateng being dumped on his arse like it did when Milner got nutmegged by the greatest player to have played the game??

To be fair, he has become a bit of a laughing stock online.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Original Dub » Thu May 07, 2015 11:11 am

It came to me in a blinding flash of light last night, shortly after the game....

The difference between the teams that consistently win trophies and those that don't is the top players.

I now believe we need to sign one or two top players.

Thanks.
Original Dub

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu May 07, 2015 12:22 pm

Original Dub wrote:It came to me in a blinding flash of light last night, shortly after the game....

The difference between the teams that consistently win trophies and those that don't is the top players.

I now believe we need to sign one or two top players.

Thanks.

You may laugh but imo if we had Hazard we would be clear Champions. If we had Messi, we may well have knocked Barca out of the Champions League.

All the talk of 442, or 451 etc etc is an entirely different matter & much lessof a talking point if, you have Messi instead of Nasri.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hazy2 » Thu May 07, 2015 12:30 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

what?

cheers

I actually think that what it showed was that in most cases, unless you are uncommonly lucky, have an extrodinary team, or are in a bad year, 'b' list players alone will not win the Champions League. For all of our faults & Bayern's faults, swap Messi & Suarez for a couple of players & we/Bayern win.

The most important thing about winning the Champions League is having a few real top players in the team. The more the better. Without them, it's just down to luck, whoever your manager is.

Aguero , our one top player, kept us in it (and Boateng was dogshit v him as well)

Pogba Reus for a start. Only top players can have any chance of coping with last night, Bayern are a world class team and got done. We lost it in 20 mins at home to Barca the truth is we are decent not elite.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu May 07, 2015 12:58 pm

Well Pogba for me is a 'possible' who may one day reach that level, but currently nowhere near, Reus nowhere near full stop.

Imo Muller, Lewandodah, Reus, Pogba, Silva, Yaya, Iniesta, Modric, Isco, Neymar, Rooney, Costa, Fabregas, etc etc etc; these are all players who you can mould into a top side. But they are not at that extra level, even though people sometimes claim they are when they have special moments.

Then you have Aguero, Suarez, Hazard, Bale who are a level above. Build a top side with a couple of those in it, & you have a chance. But if you come up against another top side which has Messi or Ronaldo or imo Robben in recent years, your only hope is that they have a quiet day. Otherwise it doesn't matter if you press or sit back, or play ten in midfield; they beat you.

You can win the Champs League if you are lucky & those players or their teams have a bad tournament. Otherwise without one of two of your own, you are fucked.

Bayern last night were Barca without the quality up front. That's the only real difference.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Hazy2 » Thu May 07, 2015 1:13 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:Well Pogba for me is a 'possible' who may one day reach that level, but currently nowhere near, Reus nowhere near full stop.

Imo Muller, Lewandodah, Reus, Pogba, Silva, Yaya, Iniesta, Modric, Isco, Neymar, Rooney, Costa, Fabregas, etc etc etc; these are all players who you can mould into a top side. But they are not at that extra level, even though people sometimes claim they are when they have special moments.

Then you have Aguero, Suarez, Hazard, Bale who are a level above. Build a top side with a couple of those in it, & you have a chance. But if you come up against another top side which has Messi or Ronaldo or imo Robben in recent years, your only hope is that they have a quiet day. Otherwise it doesn't matter if you press or sit back, or play ten in midfield; they beat you.

You can win the Champs League if you are lucky & those players or their teams have a bad tournament. Otherwise without one of two of your own, you are fucked.

Bayern last night were Barca without the quality up front. That's the only real difference.

Dortmund are the same no end product with both Star turns at BM. Not having that on Reus.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Wonderwall » Thu May 07, 2015 1:17 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:Well Pogba for me is a 'possible' who may one day reach that level, but currently nowhere near, Reus nowhere near full stop.

Dortmund are the same no end product with both Star turns at BM. Not having that on Reus.

Not having the Bale one either
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu May 07, 2015 1:39 pm

Bale, at the right club, is a matchwinner who can take on a team on his own. Reus isn't, Silva isn't, Fabregas isn't. Aguero is, Suarez is, Hazard is. Then you have the ultimate matchwinners in Messi & Ronaldo & imo Robben has been at that level in the last couple of seasons & was in the World Cup.

We need to unearth one. It's unlikely we will be allowed to buy a fully developed one.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum