Denayer To Play In Championship Next Year

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Denayer To Play In Championship Next Year

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:16 am

Don't know what to make of this. Haven't seen much of him, but I have to say I'm disappointed that the club won't give him a go, as it shows that Vieira's statement that the kids not being ready is a clear indication that the club expect players to be proven performing at a good Championship level before even being considered for the first team squad.

I'm very disappointed not just at this news, but the implications of it for the rest of the kids, even good champions league performances and playing for a good international team aren't enough for us to give kids a bash - here's hoping he is still here in pre-season and we take a proper look at him before making big decisons.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... nship.html

Manchester City have told Jason Denayer they want him to spend next season in the English Championship. The Belgian defender has been a revelation during his year-long loan move to Celtic. Already a PFA Scotland Young Player of the Year nominee, the Belgian scooped the same honour at Celtic’s annual awards dinner in Glasgow on Sunday. The 19-year-old had consistently stated he intended returning to his parent club this summer to fight for a first-team place but last week changed his tune to give Ronny Deila some hope of retaining his services for another season.

At the time, Denayer said: ‘Of course I would be happy to do that. I’ve had a very good year here so far.
‘I would be happy to come back but I will need to wait until the summer to see what is happening. I prefer just to focus on the present.’

Sportsmail understands, however, that City will block any move by Celtic to instigate another one-year deal. Although they feel Denayer isn’t quite ready to push for a first-team place at the Etihad, they want to see him spend a year in the English second tier in order to complete his footballing apprenticeship.

The player recently become a full Belgian international – stepping into the breach when Vincent Kompany was red carded during a 1-0 win against Israel in a Euro 2016 qualifier. With Virgil van Dijk very much on Southampton’s radar, Deila faces the prospect of losing both of his centre-halves before the Champions League qualifiers begin in July. Celtic striker John Guidetti, meanwhile, will discover on Thursday if he is to be punished for singing an allegedly ‘offensive’ song about the demise of Old Firm rivals Rangers.

Guidetti was issued with a notice of complaint last month after giving an interview to Dutch TV show FC Rijnmond. It is not clear if Guidetti will appear before the Hampden panel at Thursday’s re-arranged hearing but Celtic have already backed the player. In a statement issued last month, a spokesman for the Parkhead outfit said: ‘We are very surprised and disappointed that this has even found its way to an SFA judicial panel. John Guidetti will be defending this charge.’

Guidetti made a sensational start to his Celtic switch, scoring 11 goals in his first 12 games after moving north from the Etihad Stadium.
But his form has been patchy since and he was left on the bench by boss Ronny Deila on Sunday as the Hoops took another step towards their fourth consecutive Scottish Premiership title with a 3-0 Tannadice win over Dundee United.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Re: Denayer To Play In Championship Next Year

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:21 am

Maybe when he is back with us for pre season that decision ( if we are to believe the Daily Fail) can be changed and he starts with us.

I too would be very disappointed if he doesn't.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby twosips » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:26 am

Tbh I'm not sure this article means anything. Most likely just wild speculation.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:29 am

I was really hoping to see him in the squad next season but I do wonder would it be the right time, is he going to force his way in ahead of Demi, Vinnie and Mangala? If not he's better off getting games elsewhere surely?

That said, what is the situation with Boyata? I can't imagine he's going to stick around to warm the bench for another year so if he goes you'd think the sensible option would be to replace him with either Denayer or Rekik.

If the chequebook comes out again this summer for a centre back I'll be extremely disappointed.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Dubciteh » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:35 am

Surely the least he will do is lower premier league club, going championship isnt a good sign.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:40 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:I was really hoping to see him in the squad next season but I do wonder would it be the right time, is he going to force his way in ahead of Demi, Vinnie and Mangala? If not he's better off getting games elsewhere surely?

That said, what is the situation with Boyata? I can't imagine he's going to stick around to warm the bench for another year so if he goes you'd think the sensible option would be to replace him with either Denayer or Rekik.

If the chequebook comes out again this summer for a centre back I'll be extremely disappointed.

For me Demi should be our number 4 center back ( Boyata will go). Maybe he will be and Rekik will be 3 while Denayer goes on loan again.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:44 am

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:I was really hoping to see him in the squad next season but I do wonder would it be the right time, is he going to force his way in ahead of Demi, Vinnie and Mangala? If not he's better off getting games elsewhere surely?

For me Demi should be our number 4 center back ( Boyata will go). Maybe he will be and Rekik will be 3 while Denayer goes on loan again.

Makes sense, although I recently saw a quote from Rekik in which he said that City want to send him on loan again next season but not to PSV.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:47 am

The Championship is a tough old league it's a lot tougher than that shit north of the border i think it will be good for him to play a season in that league and see if he can cope.

Good move IMHO.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Wooders » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:50 am

Disappointing - is the quality of the championship so much higher than Scotland, so he would learn more, as would we about his readiness? I would argue that strongly.
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:56 am

To the crusty cunts that know....who's got a better shot at making it...Denayer or Kareeeeem Rekik-eee?

Serious question.

Cbeers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Hazy2 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:57 am

That figures the same eyes think buying a central M/F every pre season to replace one who wanted parity is ok, pissing 90 mil away when we have a 27yr old doing just fine.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby lets all have a disco » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:57 am

Not all about that though he will 'hopefully' get plenty of games in the Championship and yes it is a higher quality than Scotland plus there is some tough mofos in that league.

He will be on the fringes of the bench here.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby sheblue » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:01 am

If its true, I suppose it depends upon who he goes to. He is still young, I dont think a season on the championship with a decent side would do him any harm.
Why the big need to rush him in?
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby BlueinBosnia » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:18 am

lets all have a disco wrote:Not all about that though he will 'hopefully' get plenty of games in the Championship and yes it is a higher quality than Scotland plus there is some tough mofos in that league.

He will be on the fringes of the bench here.

I'd say European competition and an inferior league playing with Celtic is more important to his development than being at a Championship club. It'd be great if we could loan him to Celtic with a clause that the loan is terminated once they're knocked out of Europe.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Nick » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:18 am

saw this elsewhere and surprised at the level of negativity around the story.

1) its speculation
2) yes hes done very well; with European experience and even International

but

3) We've spent ALOT of money on Mangala who needs a run in the team to show that he will be a starter.

4) That leaves our current captain and Demi (who hasn't done much wrong).

I suppose you can argue that if Vinnie doesn't fix the fuck up; it should be Mangala and Demi/Denayer; but if Vinnie does sort himself out (or the club still play him regardless like this year); he will be wasted on the bench and potentially end up leaving.

I mean Boyata hasn't done anything wrong in the games he's played this year.

Lower level prem teams won't play him every game.

The only risk is that he isn't a 'shithouse' type defender and the championship is full of those type of players.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Plain Speaking » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:20 am

sheblue wrote:If its true, I suppose it depends upon who he goes to. He is still young, I dont think a season on the championship with a decent side would do him any harm.
Why the big need to rush him in?

I agree with those that suggest a loan to a lower level PL team that play the right style of football (eg Swansea? ), would be a much more useful exercise for him and us.

We have seen with previous loans to championship sides the tremendous pressures managers in that league are under. Their average tenure is under a season, frequently on loan players have been left on the bench. Much better to see him tested against the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal etc.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:06 pm

Swansea aren't that low.

It is all a little bit pressure-free week-in week-out at celtic, isn't it? Maybe a Premier League relegation battle or a Championship promotion race would be good for his development. See if he is still confident when he isn't winning against shite every week.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby twosips » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:10 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:To the crusty cunts that know....who's got a better shot at making it...Denayer or Kareeeeem Rekik-eee?

Serious question.

Cbeers

Denayer by a mile.
twosips
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Wooders » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:37 pm

What about Bournemouth? Would be a baptism of fucking fire but what a year he would have
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:00 pm

Wooders wrote:What about Bournemouth? Would be a baptism of fucking fire but what a year he would have

How about Man City. Let him put pressure on the other three we have at the moment. Play him in all cup games and I'm sure he could also get his opportunity in the league as well.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum